I just don't understand some calls...

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Face masking or hands to the face, I can sorta get that.
One should be able to control their hands unless it somehow slipped.
But then there are those roughing the player calls which are not always justified.
None of the players have air brakes to stop themselves when they are going at full speed or can't change the momentum or sometimes the player they want to tackle may change their body position so that the defender hits a different body part than what they were going for.
And it's hard to be 100% accurate when judging every play at full speed which is why they gave coaches challenge flags.
I think the only way to be sure is to review the roughing penalties. It would slow down the game but then they could take out more TV timeouts to make up for it and it would still be 3 hrs.
I dunno.
It seems like the NFL just hasn't thought everything through when it comes to certain penalties where they expect the players to be able to control themselves 100% of the time in every situation when they can't.
Tackle football the way it is is a rough sport and those consequences should be expected.
The only way to really make the players do what they want them to do with more control it is to change it to flag football.

Your thoughts, opinions, facts and other things for discussion.

OP
OP
Forget Favre

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Here is Colin Cowherd's take on things

[TWEET]https://twitter.com/TheHerd/status/1044275066211467264[/TWEET]
I gave up soon after he brought up a comparison of movie stars to football.
Since when did Tom Hanks ever do an action movie where he needed a stuntman?
This guy just goes off on too many tangents I need a decoder ring to keep up.
And I dunno how Clay could have done it any better.
That was everything he could do without drawing a flag.

I'd rather get the thoughts from fellow board members.

CaptainCanuck

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My opinion is the NFL is indeed getting soft. They are worried about potential future law suits and the game is hurting because of it. Just let them play is all I ask.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Face masking or hands to the face, I can sorta get that.
One should be able to control their hands unless it somehow slipped.
But then there are those roughing the player calls which are not always justified.
None of the players have air brakes to stop themselves when they are going at full speed or can't change the momentum or sometimes the player they want to tackle may change their body position so that the defender hits a different body part than what they were going for.
And it's hard to be 100% accurate when judging every play at full speed which is why they gave coaches challenge flags.
I think the only way to be sure is to review the roughing penalties. It would slow down the game but then they could take out more TV timeouts to make up for it and it would still be 3 hrs.
I dunno.
It seems like the NFL just hasn't thought everything through when it comes to certain penalties where they expect the players to be able to control themselves 100% of the time in every situation when they can't.
Tackle football the way it is is a rough sport and those consequences should be expected.
The only way to really make the players do what they want them to do with more control it is to change it to flag football.

Your thoughts, opinions, facts and other things for discussion.

My response to reviewing subjective calls like roughing the passer and pass interference...Who gets to make the final call. One ref see's it one way one sees it another do they Rock Paper Scissors over it. So you kick it up to a booth official or a league guy in New York, now you are asking another guy to give his subjective opinion.

Like I said before, while we may not agree that these calls are roughing most of them will follow the rule. It's not the calls that are the problem its the rule.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Here is Colin Cowherd's take on things
I was surprised at the number of people in the media supporting the NFL on this. Their main argument is they want to see the star quarterbacks play and not get injured.
The guys who appreciate defense are against it.

Members online

Latest posts