I don't get small Olines...

ThePerfectBeard

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why do teams like the small quick line theme? I mean who has it worked for? Maybe im just being my pessimistic self, but look at houston... schaub gets destroyed. Seems like Green Bay is all about having a small line. Sherrod being 6 foot is a little unnerving to me. I just dont wanna see Rodgers get hurt anymore... lets put him behind some giants like Brady is. Im especially worried now that the North is becoming defensive powerhouses again... I mean look at the Lions with Farley and Suh on the same DL! Never Mind... somehow i got the wrong info saying sherrod was only 6 feet when infact he's 6'5"

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
Hey, ya know, the incorrect info aside, you make a point that I always bellyached about. The teams that are hell bent on running the Zone Blocking scheme have always leaned toward small O-linemen ... mobility and quickness they say ... all I've noted was that those are the teams that can't run it in from the 3 yard line.

I love big fat guys too.

Incubes12

Bay Harbor Butcher?
Reaction score
I agree, why should our guys have to move around quickly we they can just stand up and form a wall? Unless it makes a difference in run blocking, but even then, I'd rather just have a big guy to push DL out of the way.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
I think one of the few mistakes Thompson/McCarthy made after McCarthy was hired was going with the zone blocking scheme and that led to drafting smaller “versatile” O linemen. IMO they compounded that mistake when their “expert” in the ZBS, Jagodzinski, left after one season and they continued to use it. Correcting mistakes is one hallmark of good management and as we’ve seen over time, they’ve gone more and more away from it. I think the 2008 draft marked the departure from acquiring smaller OL with the drafting of Sitton and Giacomini. Big Breno never looked to me like he could pass block in the NFL but he wasn’t the smaller, athletic, or versatile OL suited for the ZBS. And of course, Thompson hit a home run in the fourth round picking Sitton. (I realize this year's Packers’ draft so far has been all offense, but if Thompson finds another Sitton today in the fourth round… :icon_smile:)

With Aaron Rodgers leading a pass-first offense it makes sense to emphasize pass blocking ability when acquiring OL and that’s clearly Sherrod’s strength. The best on-the-field thing I’ve read about him so far is how well he passed blocked against the best Ds the SEC had to offer. But it’s also great to have mean SOBs with an attitude like Sitton who can pass block and kick ***.

Future

He did WHAT?
Reaction score
It worked well for the Minnesota Gophers for about 9 years. One of the best rushing offenses I've ever seen. Maroney, Barber, Greg Eslinger, Mark Setterstrom.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
didnt the colts have a small oline when they won the SB? Im not actually sure I just feel like I read something about that along the way.

But yeah for the most part no thanks on smaller Olinemen.

GBPack2010

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Anyone under 6'3" 305 lbs is generally a no no in the NFL today. Colts have the illusion they have a good OL but it's more to Peyton's quick release and awareness.

Wood Chipper

Fantasy Football Guru
Reaction score
Anyone under 6'3" 305 lbs is generally a no no in the NFL today. Colts have the illusion they have a good OL but it's more to Peyton's quick release and awareness.
if thats the case then they will learn when peyton is done. but he is slow in the pocket

Members online