I believe

packedhouse01

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I believe that Mike Sherman will have a very good year coaching and that our record will be better than any of the media or sports experts think it will be. However, if something happens that my progrnostication is wrong, who would be outstanding candidates to replace Sherman and please be realistic and state your reasons why this person should be the next coach.

NDPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
First, I'd like to start by saying that I agree with you...Sherman will have a good year coaching and the Packers will make the playoffs once again this year. He probably gets signed to an extension because of it.

Your question asks who would be an outstanding candidate if Sherman were to leave and I'd have to say Jim Bates. The players seem to respond to his "active" coaching style and he is a proven coach as he showed in Miami. He took a terrible took over for a terrible HC in Dave Wannestedt and a terrible OVERALL Dolphins team and coached them to 3 of their 4 total wins on the season. His interim term with the fins had him finish 3-4 with a win against the SB Champs Patriots, pretty respectable considering the offense was about as bad as any NFL team.

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
NDPF--I agree, assuming they respond to Bates during the season. He seems to be one of those rare personalities that can relate to today's athlete, and get them to perform at a higher level. At least I hope that's true, since the defense will have to markedly improve for us to have any kind of season. If we finish out of the playoffs, but have improved defensively, I could see Bates taking over.

For the record, I see us finishing 10 and 6, good enough for another divisional championship. Sherman will be rehired, unless someone offers him a better job.

agopackgo4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would like to agree with you guys. But unfortunatly I can not. I really dont see the Packers (as much as I want them to) getting into the playoffs. I dont think it is going to be Shermans fault either. I think that they will not get into the playoffs because there D is going to be terribile and they are not doing anything to fix it. And dont forget if Al Harris is guilty that is going to be another killer for the Pack. GO PACK GO!

musccy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
NDPF pointed out a lot of the credentials that make me think we got a real steal by landing Bates, but I'm really curious to see how Sherman can help the team w/out the dual responsibilities...personally, I have a lot of faith in his coaching abilities.

Bruce

Cheesehead
Reaction score
agopackgo4 said:
I would like to agree with you guys. But unfortunatly I can not. I really dont see the Packers (as much as I want them to) getting into the playoffs. I dont think it is going to be Shermans fault either. I think that they will not get into the playoffs because there D is going to be terribile and they are not doing anything to fix it. And dont forget if Al Harris is guilty that is going to be another killer for the Pack. GO PACK GO!

I think it is important to point out that Al Haris has not even been charged with a crime. If he were guilty I would have no sympathy for him, but there is no evidence of a crime -- other than a stripper who after Harris was long gone from the scene and after learning that he was a Pro football player decided to make allegations that have been inconsistent at beat. Harris, like a lot of professional athletes, is guilty of putting himself into a bad situation, but this sounds like nothing more that a bad hustle move by a woman, who is a professional hustler, seeking money.

agopackgo4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wouldn't feel sorry for Al if he is charged and found guilty either. I dont feel bad for any person who does somthing wrong. Sorry I guess I didnt give a good reason before. It isn't that I dont think Sherman cant coach. I think his coaching will be greatly improved this season just having one job. I have confidense in him. But you need players to do it with. I have confidence in our offense but none in our Defense. Last year I thought we had a bad D but this year it is going to be brutal I think. :(

Steel Wheels

Cheesehead
Reaction score
packedhouse01 said:
I believe that Mike Sherman will have a very good year coaching and that our record will be better than any of the media or sports experts think it will be. However, if something happens that my progrnostication is wrong, who would be outstanding candidates to replace Sherman and please be realistic and state your reasons why this person should be the next coach.

Ted Thompson may have something in mind with Jim Bates as HC in 2006.

If Thompson is set on sending Sherman on his way after the 2005 season a lot would depend on what HC's will be available. The 2 highest profile HC's on the hot seat going into 2005 are Mike Holmgren, Seattle Seahawks and Mike Shanahan, Denver Broncos.

Holmgren's contact is up in Seattle after the 2005 season.

Ex-Cowboy HC Jimmy Johnson or ex-Giant HC Jim Fassell would probably be reaches.

agopackgo4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wouldn't mind if the packers got Mike Shanahan. Hey he has won a couple of superbowls with another great QB so maybe he could come and do it with Favre!

OP
OP
P

packedhouse01

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd be very surprised if Shannahan got fired in Denver. He is icon there. I wouldn't want Fassel. Johnson is probably past his time already. If Holmgren doesn't win big in Seattle he could be on the way out, but I don't think he's ever come back to Green Bay, especially the way he left, that wasn't a good thing. I'd like to see us hire a young offensive minded coach if Sherman does't make it. You know Gruden had a couple of good years in Tampa with that fiery attitude and strong demeanor. I'd like to see someone of that caliber who can light a fire underneath his players. If you can't get someone like that you need to hire someone who is a strong willed teacher. I still think Sherman would be GM if he had fired himself and hired Mariucci. I'd also start looking at bringing in LeRoy Butler and find a spot for him on the coaching staff because I think he has the intellect, spirit, and communication skillsto be a good head coach.

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Shannahan's not coming to Green Bay any more than Mike Holmgren will.... just forget it!

I think the best thing to do is just focus on the personnel we have on the Team (Coaches & all) right now.
Quit worrying about next year until we get into December and see where we are for real.
It's the smart play!

NDPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Shanahan is treading on thin ice in Denver. The mere fact that he hasn't won a playoff game since Elway does not sit well with the Bronco Nation. Living in ND, if you don't hear about the Vikes, it's the Broncos and the word is that Shanahan is on the so-called "hot" seat. I'm not sure about calling him an "ICON" even though he has 2 SB rings as a HC.

I agree with Prez, all of this is speculation to the nth degree. Sherman is here, Favre is here, etc. Time for this team with these people to go get the job done the way they know how! GO PACK GO!

Steel Wheels

Cheesehead
Reaction score
IPBprez said:
Shannahan's not coming to Green Bay any more than Mike Holmgren will.... just forget it!

The bottom line on the Mike Holmgren issue is, if Holmgren decides to leave Seattle and wants the HC job in Green Bay in 2006, he's got the job period!

PackerTraxx

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Mariucci, Gruden or Shanahan-I would take anyone of them. But I think I might have a better chance of winning the lottery than seeing any of these coaches in GB.

NDPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Steel Wheels said:
IPBprez said:

The bottom line on the Mike Holmgren issue is, if Holmgren decides to leave Seattle and wants the HC job in Green Bay in 2006, he's got the job period!

It's not a sure thing that Sherman doesn't get extended and it's just as "unsure" that Holmgren would come to GB or GB would want him if Sherman were to leave. IMHO

Steel Wheels

Cheesehead
Reaction score
PackerTraxx said:
Mariucci, Gruden or Shanahan-I would take anyone of them. But I think I might have a better chance of winning the lottery than seeing any of these coaches in GB.

Mariucci, Gruden and Shanahan are all under contract. The only chance they have to come to Green Bay is to be fired during or after the 2005 NFL season.

That should be obvious to the most casual of football observers.

Steel Wheels

Cheesehead
Reaction score
NDPackerFan said:
It's not a sure thing that Sherman doesn't get extended and it's just as "unsure" that Holmgren would come to GB or GB would want him if Sherman were to leave. IMHO

My feeling is that Mike Sherman is gone after the 2005 season and it's Mike Holmgren's decision as to whether he wants to coach again in Green Bay.

Even though we disagree, your point has merit and is well taken. Stay tuned, it will be interesting to see how it shakes out.

NDPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree. I do think Sherman has to do a better coaching job than he has to keep the position. My feeling is that he will but your right, let's see how it shakes out.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts