How has the long off-season wait been for you?

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Dan115

And still don't dribble. Does this mean I am talking to you

scotscheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
back on topic

having the world cup of real football(not soccer) has made this offseason bearable, add to it my home teams first foray into european football having started last week, then i've only really had 4 weeks without any footballing news to follow. and during those four weeks i went to watch my new local american football team in their first season in the british league

all in all not a bad offseason this year, can't wait for the NFL season to start as well though

mhnessie

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just renewed my NFL game pass and cant wait for the NFL season to start too.
Offseason was terrible because I couldnt see a single Football game this summer here at home because our local Team, the Hamburg Blue Devils, gave up playing in our First League because of lack of money. Football is getting more popular and interest is growing but its still a minority sport in Germany and I guess even in Europe. :(:mad:

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
It's been good. I do like soccer, so there was a lot to watch. Did some walleye fishing out of Toledo. There is lots of good fishing here in York County. ;) Spent some time at the shore, too.

The Drew

The Drew Cave
Reaction score
I'm a single digit handicap when healthy - but I haven't been healthy for a while.

Got a heart condition taken care of last year, and was hoping for a good golf season this year, but now my bothersome shoulder has gotten worse, and am having surgery in a couple of weeks - golf season down the tubes. Gonna have to tackle a hip replacement in the next couple of years too... so my days of playing almost every day are toast :(

Might get a few rounds in late in the year - we'll see.

Hit 'em straight.

I am no where close to your level... I just took up golf last off season... (Aug)... but I play alot and have made progress in my short time... avg right now is low 90s best round for me was an 86... I hope to get better as the years pass with some fitted clubs and lesson with a swing analysis from golftech... :)

scotscheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i have this summer played golf for the first time, i've had 2 rounds hitting 103+108, got a birdy on the third hole of my first round. i have my works annual golf outting soon and certainly look forward to coming in last

wist43

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am no where close to your level... I just took up golf last off season... (Aug)... but I play alot and have made progress in my short time... avg right now is low 90s best round for me was an 86... I hope to get better as the years pass with some fitted clubs and lesson with a swing analysis from golftech... :)

Clubs make a big difference... everybody is different, so find what works for you, and keep working at it. Shaft flex is a big factor. Golf is a great game that you can play as you get older.

I didn't take lessons, just learned on my own. Watched a lot of Golf Channel Academy, and then would go out to the course and try out what I had learned. Sometimes things would work for me, sometime not - but I kept after it, and over time improved. It took about 5 years before I was in the low 80's consistently.

I usually shoot somewhere in the upper 70's now... but really haven't played much the last few years due to health reasons. Can't walk a course anymore, have to ride - so that kind of sucks.

Anyway, good luck, and enjoy...

P.S. Watching Caddyshack and learning all the lingo is essential to playing good golf, lol... :)

wist43

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i have this summer played golf for the first time, i've had 2 rounds hitting 103+108, got a birdy on the third hole of my first round. i have my works annual golf outting soon and certainly look forward to coming in last

You should hook up with Drew... Beer and someone to commiserate with helps, lol...

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
I can't get into golf. I found out I am the happy gilmore of golf..... I can drive the **** out of the ball (350+ yards) but I cant do any mid range shots and have absolute zero short game.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The second the Super Bowl is over I go to bed and sleep as much as I can until the first kick off of preseason.

I woke up long enough just to let you know.
Nighty-Night. Back to my hibernation.

Veronica

Cheerleader
Reaction score
Cheer for more than one team. It is always football season somewhere.

My favorite teams are The Green Bay Packers (NFL), Japan (World Football),

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

All Mitsubishi Lions (X-League Japan), British Columbia Lions (CFL),
Wisconsin Badgers (NCAA) and Wauwatosa East Raiders (high school).

I prepared to try out as quarterback and defensive end for the Wisconsin Dragons
(Women's Football Alliance USA) but was hospitalized with H1N1. By the time I
recovered, the team disbanded.

Last edited:

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
ok, so if there is international american football, how can the superbowl winners still be classed as world champions??

It must just be common knowledge that the USA football teams would just smash on other international teams.....

Last edited by a moderator:

Veronica

Cheerleader
Reaction score
It must just be common knowledge that the USA football teams would just smash on other international teams.....

Actually, Japan is usually victorious over Team USA.

Unlike USA and Canada, the rest of the world plays gridiron football on largely an amateur level. Many teams have corporate sponsorship, such as IBM Big Blue of Japan or athletic clubs, such as Schwäbisch Hall Unicorns of Germany.

I look forward to meeting you.

scotscheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
aye, they probably would Oshkosh. but you don't see the winners of MLS saying they are world champs do you, or EPL, Bundesliga, La Liga etc...

now if there was an american football world cup, or even a world club competition i can accept the world champs bit

D

Deleted member 6794

now if there was an american football world cup, or even a world club competition i can accept the world champs bit

There is actually a World Championship of American Football, which was last held in 2011 in Austria. The United States won that tournament by winning all of their round-robin games (61-0 vs. Australia, 48-7 vs. Germany and 17-7 vs. Mexico) and beating Canada in the final, 50-7, while only being allowed to line up players who weren´t drafted to the NFL and had finished their college degree.

Veronica

Cheerleader
Reaction score
There is actually a World Championship of American Football ....

That is the senior division. Japan won the first two championships.

The 2014 IFAF U—19 World Cup championship concluded in Kuwait on July 16.

There is a likelihood of the name being changed to World Championship of Gridiron Football because of anti-American sentiment. Many counties prefer the term 'gridiron' rather than 'American' to distinguish between football and soccer.

... while only being allowed to line up players who weren´t drafted to the NFL and had finished their college degree.

This is for the senior leagues. Nothing is mentioned about these players being recruited from high school to college. Only USA and Canada play gridiron football from grade school, are heavily recruited and have professional leagues. There is a long—established football infrastructure.

Everywhere else, football is introduced during college as an elective sport or through participation as a young adult in an athletic club or working for a company that sponsors a team, such as Tokyo police officers volunteering to play for the Metropolitan Police Department Eagles. Football is largely an amateur sport played for fun.

Which is why a tiered championship was considered when Japan admitted USA to IFAF.

I believe our country should not participate in world football because of the inequities in football programs / competition levels. There are many amateur leagues in the USA. And there is enough friendly competition. For example, the APDFL Blazers will be hosting 2014 Pearl Bowl champion Obic Seagulls on August 14 in Tuscaloosa.

The Gulls are from Narashino, Chiba Prefecture — the sister city of Tuscaloosa. APDFL Blazers are an all-star team from the Amateur to Professional Developmental Football League, a thirty-five club semi-pro league based in Alabama, Georgia, Florida and South Carolina.

One thing I would like to see is NFL teams playing a preseason game in a foreign country. When Green Bay played in Tokyo, it provided increased interest in Japanese football.

Last edited:

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Long enough that this is starting to feel relevant again.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

I never get tired of watching this.
It is my most favorite NFL ad and could be my most favorite ad of all time.
It's a perfect blend of music and images and voice over.
Check out the number of times the Pack is represented, the words "It's good to be back" super imposed over the shot of Lambeau field and the showing of relation to the Packers three times in a row at the end!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest posts