House vs Williams...easy/tough/doesn't matter...

D

Deleted member 6794

I know he's younger but at a certain point the whole "younger" thing just becomes too overrated. This isn't pointed at you, I know you don't think House is worth the salary, just getting it out. It annoys me when age becomes the most important factor in a player's evaluation...performance on the field should probably be the more important factor.

I agree that Williams has been the way better cornerback in his career so far. Teams don´t like to hand out long-term commitments to players his age though as it´s possible their performance will decline pretty fast.

Ceodore

Cheesehead
Reaction score
meh i've been over Tramon for a couple of years now. Besides the occasional interception, it doesn't seem like he does much anymore.

D

Deleted member 6794

meh i've been over Tramon for a couple of years now. Besides the occasional interception, it doesn't seem like he does much anymore.

There's no denying Williams allowed far too many TD passes last season. That's kind of House's problem as well though.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Looking around sportspyder just now; www.acmepackingcompany.com reporting (they're source is Bob McGinn) that Williams has turned down a 2 year, $8M offer from the Packers, and is looking for more in the area of 3-4 years at $5M per year. His stated preference is to stay in Green Bay.

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Honestly, I think Williams stays...something gets worked out there I bet.

D

Deleted member 6794

Looking around sportspyder just now; www.acmepackingcompany.com reporting (they're source is Bob McGinn) that Williams has turned down a 2 year, $8M offer from the Packers, and is looking for more in the area of 3-4 years at $5M per year. His stated preference is to stay in Green Bay.

I doubt the Packers will offer him a deal like that.

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd really hate to lose Cobb AND Williams.

We need to re-sign at least two of the three out of Cobb/Bulaga/Williams

D

Deleted member 6794

I'd really hate to lose Cobb AND Williams.

We need to re-sign at least two of the three out of Cobb/Bulaga/Williams

I would be fine wirh re-signing House as well but don't want to lose both cornerbacks.

bubba

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What about Casey Hayward? I really like this guy and I think he could be a pretty good starting corner for us. He has a real nose for the ball. He is the same size as Williams and a lot younger and I think he is a better than House. Thoughts?

D

Deleted member 6794

What about Casey Hayward? I really like this guy and I think he could be a pretty good starting corner for us. He has a real nose for the ball. He is the same size as Williams and a lot younger and I think he is a better than House. Thoughts?

Hayward is best suited to be the slot corner in the nickel and dime package though. I´m not sure he would be a great fit to start an entire season on the outside.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hayward is best suited to be the slot corner in the nickel and dime package though. I´m not sure he would be a great fit to start an entire season on the outside.

From what I've heard (obviously just speculation, like anything else this time of year), they are considering doing just that and expanding Hayward's role into an outside corner.

Hayward has had a lot of ups and downs in his short career so far, but I think it would be tough to trade up for a guy in the second round with a projection that he'll never be anything more than a slot corner.

It's unusual to have a guy like this in his 4th year already nearing free agency and still not really know what we have here.

D3uc3

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is a tough one for me. House isn't only looking for money, he wants to start. This being said, I doubt both with be back in Green and Gold.

Tramon has slowed down a bit, but IMO is still much better then House. But not worth the kind of money he is making now.

House while a decent option at CB hasn't jumped out at me as someone worth the kind of money he is looking for (reported $5 M+/year).

My guess is TT lets both of them test FA, signing whichever one seems to be the best financially for the Packers.

I honestly think by not contacting House given he wants to stay will make him willing to take less than his asking price House has the ability and size to hold his own, if he can remain healthy a whole season.
Williams has done well in GB but his time here is done if not at less than 3 million a year and to be moved inside because outside he has been nothing more than toast!

D

Deleted member 6794

I honestly think by not contacting House given he wants to stay will make him willing to take less than his asking price House has the ability and size to hold his own, if he can remain healthy a whole season.
Williams has done well in GB but his time here is done if not at less than 3 million a year and to be moved inside because outside he has been nothing more than toast!

Nobody suggested not contacting House but there's no reason to retain him at all costs.

If the Packers bring back Williams he'll for sure not play in the slot as Hayward and Hyde are way better suited to line up there.

aristotle

Cheesehead
Reaction score
both guys are average at best. This team needs a top notch CB. Go after Cromartie. He has good size and better skills than either of these two. There are way too many big plays given up by this secondary.

D

Deleted member 6794

both guys are average at best. This team needs a top notch CB. Go after Cromartie. He has good size and better skills than either of these two. There are way too many big plays given up by this secondary.

I don't consider Cromartie more appealing than either House or Williams.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Honestly....I think Tramon and House both will be offered more money than TT wants to spend on either...one is starting to see the downfall in performance at any season and the other is unproven....

I'm hoping Cobb taking less to stay is contagious....that would be awesome!

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think Tramon is going to take less, this is probably his last best chance to make more money. He's going to take what he can get I think. Unless the market is cool on him, it's probably bye, bye. Looks like House is already found his new home, just has to ink the deal.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think Tramon is going to take less, this is probably his last best chance to make more money. He's going to take what he can get I think. Unless the market is cool on him, it's probably bye, bye. Looks like House is already found his new home, just has to ink the deal.

Yup, I foresee both leaving which is worst case for our DB core. Add a CB to the must get list honestly.

andeftw

Cheesehead
Reaction score
House signed with Jacksonville for 6.25 per season. Disappointed not to see him with the Packers next season, he's shown a lot of promise but also can't seem to stay on the field. We knew that Thompson was not going to overpay, which is exactly what the Jaguars have done.
Then again, Vic always says: You pay for what you think a player can become, not what he has done.