House vs Williams...easy/tough/doesn't matter...

D3uc3

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Nobody suggested not contacting House but there's no reason to retain him at all costs.

If the Packers bring back Williams he'll for sure not play in the slot as Hayward and Hyde are way better suited to line up there.

Up to that point of the post House hadn't heard anything from Green Bay. That's what the comment was referring too. And yes I know Williams time in GB is done.

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If they both leave and TT doesn't grab someone that has actually played a game in this league I fear this defense is screwed barring a draft miracle.

Lets look at who was here last year, where they played and where that leaves us for next year.

2014 outside base package corners:
Shields, Tramon, House (Bush, Hyde in emergency situations)
2014 slot/ nickel:
Casey, Hyde, (Bush in emergency situations)

2015 outside base package corner:
Shields (Bush, Hyde in emergency situations)
2015 Slot/nickel:
Same

Casey is going to get absolutely desroyed on the outside vs speed vs size and vs physicality. I am scared to death of seeing him out there. Hyde could probably serve the House role of this year and be the 3rd guy in case of an injury.

Bottom line is that TT has to do something to replace those 2 if they both end up being gone.

TeamTundra

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There are a few veteran options - A. Cromartie, W. Thurmond, Tarel Brown, etc. I'd expect
The Packers to sign a FA this week and use a 2nd or 3rd round pick in the upcoming
Draft.

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The size difference between some of these guys is not nearly what I thought it was.......according to the roster. I always thought Tramon was a pretty big guy.....same size as Casey and Goodson. Shields is 10 lb lighter but same ht. Hyde is actually a few pounds heavier than House was and the same ht. IDK....when you see them on the field tramon and house looked bigger than the other guys.

FL-PACKERfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would be fine with giving Cromartie 2 yrs 15 mil. What are the chances Hyde moves back to CB and plays some on the outside?

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There are some second tier CB's worth a look...Chris Culliver, Sterling Moore and Walter Thurmond

D

Deleted member 6794

If they both leave and TT doesn't grab someone that has actually played a game in this league I fear this defense is screwed barring a draft miracle.

Lets look at who was here last year, where they played and where that leaves us for next year.

2014 slot/ nickel:

2015 Slot/nickel:
Same

Casey is going to get absolutely desroyed on the outside vs speed vs size and vs physicality. I am scared to death of seeing him out there. Hyde could probably serve the House role of this year and be the 3rd guy in case of an injury.

Bottom line is that TT has to do something to replace those 2 if they both end up being gone.

If Williams signs with another team the Packers have to bring in someone capable of starting on the outside. Hayward and Hyde are a nice tandem to play in the slot but I don't want the Packers to line one of them up outside constantly.

I would be fine with giving Cromartie 2 yrs 15 mil. What are the chances Hyde moves back to CB and plays some on the outside?

Don't want the Packers to pay Cromartie that kind of money. Hyde is best suited to play in the slot.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Cromartie is back with the Jets. Definitely hoping for a Tramon reunion at this point.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lack of interest in Williams and House show that TT and M M did not rate them very high. Hayward and Hyde are strictly slot guys. If Williams doesn't return it looks like Goodsen will be handed the outside CB opposite Shields. If injuries occur then the Packers are looking at promoting somebody from the practice squad or taking a shot at playing a rookie.

Shawnsta3

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not a single CB on a roster in the NFL is over the age of 31 currently. Tramon is currently 31. While this still seems like one of those statistic anomalies, I would advise against giving him any type of three year deal or too much guaranteed the second year.

I think it would be foolish for Thompson to hand overy the reins of the starting CB spot to Goodson with such little playing time, and low draft spot. He simply hasn't shown he can perform in the NFL yet, and doesn't have the college tape to show it either. I don't think that's the Packers plan either though. I could see Hayward or Hyde sliding over even though bother would ideally be in the slot, or the position being addressed in the draft or later free agency.

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Goodson was drafted and developed to replace Bush on special teams. Nothing more and nothing less. If he sees the field as the #2 Corner then some very bad things have happened.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Goodson might be replaced with a rookie but rookie CB's get torched in the NFL even when they show a lot of promise if they start on the outside vs teams best WR's. Relying on a rookie to fill the hole could be very ugly. Unfortunately FA CB's are now gone with the exception of Culliver from SF who is a head case. CB could be a train wreck in the making unless TT pulls off a trade.

D

Deleted member 6794

Not a single CB on a roster in the NFL is over the age of 31 currently. Tramon is currently 31. While this still seems like one of those statistic anomalies, I would advise against giving him any type of three year deal or too much guaranteed the second year.

I think it would be foolish for Thompson to hand overy the reins of the starting CB spot to Goodson with such little playing time, and low draft spot. He simply hasn't shown he can perform in the NFL yet, and doesn't have the college tape to show it either. I don't think that's the Packers plan either though. I could see Hayward or Hyde sliding over even though bother would ideally be in the slot, or the position being addressed in the draft or later free agency.

Goodson might be replaced with a rookie but rookie CB's get torched in the NFL even when they show a lot of promise if they start on the outside vs teams best WR's. Relying on a rookie to fill the hole could be very ugly. Unfortunately FA CB's are now gone with the exception of Culliver from SF who is a head case. CB could be a train wreck in the making unless TT pulls off a trade.

That´s why I think it´s essential for Thompson to re-sign Tramon Williams. While I don´t want the Packers to hand out a lot of guaranteed money to him either he´s probably the best solution to start outside this season. The Packers should draft his possible successor immediately after addressing the NT and ILB position in the draft.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Cromartie is back with the Jets. Definitely hoping for a Tramon reunion at this point.

Cromartie signing doesn't lesson or strengthen my desire to have Tramon back. To me though I have Culliver higher on my desire scale than Cromartie. Williams is my #1 though.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That´s why I think it´s essential for Thompson to re-sign Tramon Williams. While I don´t want the Packers to hand out a lot of guaranteed money to him either he´s probably the best solution to start outside this season. The Packers should draft his possible successor immediately after addressing the NT and ILB position in the draft.

I mirror these thoughts exactly! Issue is if we don't resign Tramon or a fix in a Culliver type FA...we then are in a position where we need to basically find a starter in 3 positions this draft. 2 startes is one thing, trying to find 3 (one being a bonafide CB) is TOUGH if not IMPOSSIBLE.

D

Deleted member 6794

Cromartie signing doesn't lesson or strengthen my desire to have Tramon back. To me though I have Culliver higher on my desire scale than Cromartie. Williams is my #1 though.

I don´t think the Packers are interested in Culliver as he made some offensive comments about homosexuals prior to Super Bowl XLVII and a year ago was arrested for several misdemeanors, including hit and run, as well as felony possession of brass knuckles.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don´t think the Packers are interested in Culliver as he made some offensive comments about homosexuals prior to Super Bowl XLVII and a year ago was arrested for several misdemeanors, including hit and run, as well as felony possession of brass knuckles.

Oh dang....see this is what happens when all you research are the FA's stats and specs. I take back everything about Culliver, I want no part of someone like this unless very very cheap.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score

2014 slot/ nickel:

2015 Slot/nickel:
Same

Losing both House and Williams would suck but the Packers would still have a decent corner group by NFL standards. There are teams in the NFL without two starting caliber corners and the Packers would still have Heyward and Shields.

The lack of a NT is far more concerning.

D

Deleted member 6794

Losing both House and Williams would suck but the Packers would still have a decent corner group by NFL standards. There are teams in the NFL without two starting caliber corners and the Packers would still have Heyward and Shields.

The lack of a NT is far more concerning.

Hayward is best suited to play in the slot though. If the Packers let Tramon Williams walk away in free agency we´re lacking another outside corner opposite Shields.

D

Deleted member 6794

Oh dang....see this is what happens when all you research are the FA's stats and specs. I take back everything about Culliver, I want no part of someone like this unless very very cheap.

Culliver has signed a four-year deal with the Redskins so we don´t have to worry about him anymore.

Luca

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hayward is obviously better inside, but he is still pretty good outside. Hayward played 224 snaps outside this year and did a good. So I am not worried at all about Hayward. In fact, I think he will be our starter outside if Tramon leaves.

The big concern at cornerback is depth. You would like to play Hayward inside in the dime, but we have no guys that can replace him on the outside. Moreover you would like to have adequate back-ups. So if Tramon leaves cornerback is obviously a big draft need, but I don't think that we will be drafting to find a immediate starter.

D

Deleted member 6794

Hayward is obviously better inside, but he is still pretty good outside. Hayward played 224 snaps outside this year and did a good. So I am not worried at all about Hayward. In fact, I think he will be our starter outside if Tramon leaves.

The big concern at cornerback is depth. You would like to play Hayward inside in the dime, but we have no guys that can replace him on the outside. Moreover you would like to have adequate back-ups. So if Tramon leaves cornerback is obviously a big draft need, but I don't think that we will be drafting to find a immediate starter.

Hayward was only targeted twice in 2014 playing outside and allowed two receptions for 38 yards though.

It´s important to re-sign Tramon Williams as the Packers wouldn´t have to spend an early draft pick on a CB capable of starting immediately.

Last edited by a moderator:

Members online

Latest posts