House vs Williams...easy/tough/doesn't matter...

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Read that newest article with an interview with Tramon....dude appears to the fire to prove doubters wrong....if House commands too much Williams on a 2 or 3 year contract may be perfect for us, and I think he's got enough left to get a good one in the draft this year or next.

NMSUcolts

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hey guys, huge NMSU football fan here (yes some NMSU football fans exist believe it or not) . Well I signed up for this website to post about Davon House and see what packer fans thought about him. But it seems like someone beat me to the post. While Davon House was here at NMSU I saw him make some great plays here in Las Cruces. I knew he'd be a good player given the opportunity. Do you guys think he's done enough to get TW's role on this team. Sorry about the really late post.

D

Deleted member 6794

Hey guys, huge NMSU football fan here (yes some NMSU football fans exist believe it or not) . Well I signed up for this website to post about Davon House and see what packer fans thought about him. But it seems like someone beat me to the post. While Davon House was here at NMSU I saw him make some great plays here in Las Cruces. I knew he'd be a good player given the opportunity. Do you guys think he's done enough to get TW's role on this team. Sorry about the really late post.

House is capable of being a starter in the NFL, unfortunately he hasn't been able to stay healthy. According to some sources he's asking for at least $5 million per season which I don't think the Packers will offer him.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've read that House will ask for- and likely get, if not here elsewhere- around $7M per year. If so, I'd pass.

TeamTundra

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I can't see a team paying House $7 million per year given that he has never been a starter
And has struggled to stay healthy. However, all it takes is for one team to overpay. I'm hoping
We can get him back for around $4 million per year.

H

HardRightEdge

I can't see a team paying House $7 million per year given that he has never been a starter. And has struggled to stay healthy. However, all it takes is for one team to overpay. I'm hoping
We can get him back for around $4 million per year.
I've read the $7 mil figure as the high end as well, and my initial reaction was it's implausible. But $5 mil is not out of the question. A team with a good #1 cover corner making good dough and a big hole at #2 cover corner might pay that number. Cover corners are expensive; $5 mil for a #2 isn't terribly expensive. Slot corners are a different matter.

It's easy to project a healthy House as at least a competent player. Somebody will pay for the projection, the Packers or otherwise.

H

HardRightEdge

House is capable of being a starter in the NFL, unfortunately he hasn't been able to stay healthy. According to some sources he's asking for at least $5 million per season which I don't think the Packers will offer him.
One thing's for sure; it will be Williams or House, not both. House has stated his priority in this free agent year is to go where he can be a starter. If the Packers don't give him the job, he'll walk, and despite his age Williams will get a lot more money elsewhere that what the Packers would pay him to sit on the bench.

D

Deleted member 6794

One thing's for sure; it will be Williams or House, not both. House has stated his priority in this free agent year is to go where he can be a starter. If the Packers don't give him the job, he'll walk, and despite his age Williams will get a lot more money elsewhere that what the Packers would pay him to sit on the bench.

I´m convinced the Packers will let House test free agency as I have a hard time believing Thompson will commit more than $5 million per season based on projection. It´s a risky approach though as it means the Packers could lose both House and Williams and CB would become an immediate position of need.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would not be in favor of signing House to more than 5 mil per year. Test away my friend. I'd rather pay Williams a bit more on a 2 year contract, or 3 like they did with Peppers where it's basically year to year after the 1st. I think he has at least a year or 2 of fairly high level play left in him.

D

Deleted member 6794

I would not be in favor of signing House to more than 5 mil per year. Test away my friend. I'd rather pay Williams a bit more on a 2 year contract, or 3 like they did with Peppers where it's basically year to year after the 1st. I think he has at least a year or 2 of fairly high level play left in him.

I would be fine with re-signing Williams as well but I don´t see the Packers offering him that kind of money.

H

HardRightEdge

I´m convinced the Packers will let House test free agency as I have a hard time believing Thompson will commit more than $5 million per season based on projection. It´s a risky approach though as it means the Packers could lose both House and Williams and CB would become an immediate position of need.
$7 mil was just one guy's opinion. $5 mil might be the number. We'll see.

NMSUcolts

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just going to play a little Devils Advocate here... House has proven he can be a great Man To Man corner. Also has been pretty good on special teams. Best of all he's still really young and has the size you want corners to have in todays passing game. "For one, House plays a premium position. Secondly, he doesn’t turn 26 until July. Finally, he has good size for a corner (6-0, 195), and he was timed in a solid 4.50 seconds in the 40-yard dash at the 2011 NFL Scouting Combine." A 6ft corner with that speed and size is really valuable. You can argue you can find another corner in free agency but with the NFL becoming extremely pass happy good corners are going to be really expensive from now on. So you turn to the draft? Do you want the Packers to use a draft pick on a corner, in hopes that he turns out a good player, when you know you have one already on your roster? What if Tramon Williams goes down? Do You want a rookie corner playing instead of a polished Davon House who has years of chemistry with your team the year you guys have a huge chance of making the Super Bowl ?

D

Deleted member 6794

Just going to play a little Devils Advocate here... House has proven he can be a great Man To Man corner. Also has been pretty good on special teams. Best of all he's still really young and has the size you want corners to have in todays passing game. "For one, House plays a premium position. Secondly, he doesn’t turn 26 until July. Finally, he has good size for a corner (6-0, 195), and he was timed in a solid 4.50 seconds in the 40-yard dash at the 2011 NFL Scouting Combine." A 6ft corner with that speed and size is really valuable. You can argue you can find another corner in free agency but with the NFL becoming extremely pass happy good corners are going to be really expensive from now on. So you turn to the draft? Do you want the Packers to use a draft pick on a corner, in hopes that he turns out a good player, when you know you have one already on your roster? What if Tramon Williams goes down? Do You want a rookie corner playing instead of a polished Davon House who has years of chemistry with your team the year you guys have a huge chance of making the Super Bowl ?

I don't think the Packers will re-sign both House and Williams. I would prefer to go with the younger guy here but if Davon is asking for $5+ million per season Thompson should pass.

NMSUcolts

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think the Packers will re-sign both House and Williams. I would prefer to go with the younger guy here but if Davon is asking for $5+ million per season Thompson should pass.

So would you want to go with TW or drafting a CB or free agency?

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
I can't see a team paying House $7 million per year given that he has never been a starter and has struggled to stay healthy.
I can. There are an alarming number of dumb teams in the NFL. About a third I'd estimate. I'm very thankful for all of them........... bless their hearts.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I just don't get why the Packers would sign a guy (House) who has generally been worse than another player (Williams) to a more expensive contract.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The more I think about this the less I worry....we most likely are going to sign one of them, and to be honest either option I see potential for success and TT will handle either scenario. The only scenario I don't want to tackle is losing both.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I just don't get why the Packers would sign a guy (House) who has generally been worse than another player (Williams) to a more expensive contract.

Didn't review the entire thread, but Williams is coming off a $9.5 mil year. Think House is looking for more than that?

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd be great with signing Williams to a 2-3 year contract and drafting a couple DB's again. I wouldn't offer House too much honestly. His health really worries me, it seems every single year something is keeping him out and when he does get on the field, something takes him back off again.

I've always liked House, early he was always in position, just couldn't make a play on the ball it seemed. Now he seems to have it all. Size, knowledge, gets good position and can make a play on the ball. But what good is it sitting on the sidelines?

D

Deleted member 6794

House is more than six years younger than Williams. But as I've said repeatedly I don't want the Packers to offer him $5+ million per season.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not too thrilled with House overall as some seem to be.
He flashes here and there, but is inconsistent , seems to have trouble tracking the ball at times, and I get the distinct impression that he is limited in his ability to effectively handle all the responsibilities of the position. IMO, not worth a long term commitment of $5M or more per season.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
House is more than six years younger than Williams. But as I've said repeatedly I don't want the Packers to offer him $5+ million per season.

I know he's younger but at a certain point the whole "younger" thing just becomes too overrated. This isn't pointed at you, I know you don't think House is worth the salary, just getting it out. It annoys me when age becomes the most important factor in a player's evaluation...performance on the field should probably be the more important factor.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts