Hey Cowboy fans

Status
Not open for further replies.

Packer Fan in SD

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It would have been even sweeter for me had that dumb rule not been in effect and Bryant got credit for the catch. Presumably the Cowboys would have scored then Aaron Rodgers would be himself, march the team down the field on a time consuming drive and the Packers would win with a last minute field goal. How sweet would that have been? Now, instead of giving the Packers credit for coming back and Rodgers credit for his amazing display in the second half, all we hear about is "the rule".

I agree. Remember the ball was on the Dallas 28 with 1:43 to go and a timeout in our pocket when Rodgers started taking the knee. That end of game TD or FG to win would have been so sweet.

Legalizeit

Cheesehead
Reaction score
How about the view that this wouldn't necessarily have been the game winner, anyhow? Lots of time left for a Packer offense that was hitting on all cylinders and a maximum 3-point 'Boy lead.

Yea we would have won anyways, but I'm perfectly content with Dez Bryant choking away a TD pass and Boys fans crying and stamping their feet in frustration, sounds great to me.:)

Beagle

Cheesehead
Reaction score
How about the view that this wouldn't necessarily have been the game winner, anyhow? Lots of time left for a Packer offense that was hitting on all cylinders and a maximum 3-point 'Boy lead.

Our defence was shot so you're probably right. Don't you think it was incredible that we barely tried a blitz in the game. If I'd been calling the D plays I'd have been gunning for Rodgers, not trying to stop the best arm in the league hitting targets

Legalizeit

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Our defence was shot so you're probably right. Don't you think it was incredible that we barely tried a blitz in the game. If I'd been calling the D plays I'd have been gunning for Rodgers, not trying to stop the best arm in the league hitting targets

I honestly understand the move, Rodgers is the best QB in the league against the blitz, and me and him both were probably hoping Dallas would bring the biltz rather then drop extra coverage.

THEHEREAFTER

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If he would have hit the ground without the ball hitting the ground, you would be right.

But that didn't happen, he caught the ball, fell and the ball hit the ground, the amount of steps he took doesn't matter, because he didn't complete the process of the catch. Fact. No grey area, just a WR who couldn't complete the process of what would have been.a great catch, if he was a better WR, maybe he could have made sure it didn't hit the ground nullifying the catch, but he didn't.

I know you don't like it, but it is a simple fact, by letting the ball hit the ground and pop out, he didn't complete the process if the catch. Now act like a man and deal with it.

Look... no need to take shots at my manhood or insult Bryant's skill. He's a first team all pro WR who led the league in TD's. If you read my comments, I'm quite complimentary of GB and the way you gutted out a tough win. The Field Judge on the spot deemed it a catch (not that this matters) and there was a review and now much "controversy." I've moved on already although this was really tough to swallow. I guess we naturally disagree that this was as black and white as you claim. Dez made the exact same play vs the Giants weeks 7.. leaping grab a few steps with clear control and a lunge for the cone. It's my opinion that the rule was applied incorrectly here.

Beagle

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Look... no need to take shots at my manhood or insult Bryant's skill. He's a first team all pro WR who led the league in TD's. If you read my comments, I'm quite complimentary of GB and the way you gutted out a tough win. The Field Judge on the spot deemed it a catch (not that this matters) and there was a review and now much "controversy." I've moved on already although this was really tough to swallow. I guess we naturally disagree that this was as black and white as you claim. Dez made the exact same play vs the Giants weeks 7.. leaping grab a few steps with clear control and a lunge for the cone. It's my opinion that the rule was applied incorrectly here.

Best to park this mate. It's going nowhere, and as we all agree it really doesn't matter now.
Can't we all just agree how boring the Bills zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz .. Are?

Sorry, nodded off

Ceodore

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think everyone can agree, in the world of common sense, that was a catch. But in the world of the NFL i think they made the correct call.

Legalizeit

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You're an evil SOB :)

And your opinion would be wrong, this one was by the books as far as the rule book goes. The steps dont matter, the knee elbow doesn't matter, all that matters is that when Dez hit the ground the ball hit the turf and popped loose, making it an incomplete pass.

But I do apologize for the "Act like a man" comment, It was a little overboard but I wasn't truly serious anyways.

Legalizeit

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think everyone can agree, in the world of common sense, that was a catch. But in the world of the NFL i think they made the correct call.

Common sense dictates that when you catch a ball, fall down, and the ball hits the ground and pops out of your hand, it is incomplete.

Legalizeit

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Best to park this mate. It's going nowhere, and as we all agree it really doesn't matter now.
Can't we all just agree how boring the Bills zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz .. Are?

Sorry, nodded off

Not so boring now with **** Rexy at the helm.

Ceodore

Cheesehead
Reaction score
At full speed, I don't see the "football move" despite the steps he takes. I see him struggling to stay upright and eventually falling down whether he reached out or not. His steps weren't to me intentional steps to make it to the endzone, rather reflex-tionary steps to keep him from falling down.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
From what I understand, they decided that Bryant's steps were him stumbling, rather than running, ie. he couldn't have stayed up if he wanted to (which is correct, otherwise he would've just ran into the endzone) and that's why they didn't take the steps into account.

Honestly, I don't think you can dispute the call because Buck & Aikman, the guys in the Sky Sports studio (you said you live in England, I think), the referee, and Mike Pereira (I know he kinda has a vested interest) (guys who probably know a lot more about the rules and the game than you or I) all agreed it was incomplete after multiple replays.

No---the steps do not count. Has nothing to do with his feet at all

The guys from New York that helped to make the call said those exact words to Rich Eison...Forget about the 3 feet and elbow..

Focus on the ball as he falls

THEHEREAFTER

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And your opinion would be wrong, this one was by the books as far as the rule book goes. The steps dont matter, the knee elbow doesn't matter, all that matters is that when Dez hit the ground the ball hit the turf and popped loose, making it an incomplete pass.

But I do apologize for the "Act like a man" comment, It was a little overboard but I wasn't truly serious anyways.
All good man. Good luck vs Seattle. Should be an entertaining game.

Ceodore

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Common sense dictates that when you catch a ball, fall down, and the ball hits the ground and pops out of your hand, it is incomplete.

I guess everyone can't agree then. You don't think that's a catch in a game of pickup football?

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Does it matter if it bounced out of your hands if you have a knee down?

Not according to the rule..

The balls touches the ground as he is falling on his chest..That right there is the moment the rule says it is incomplete.

that is how the EXPERTS are explaining it

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
I guess everyone can't agree then. You don't think that's a catch in a game of pickup football?

People are confusing it..

Everyone says it is a catch..But the rule states it isnt a catch

The refs got call right...its a shame the rule is wrong

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
http://ftw.usatoday.com/2015/01/dez-bryant-nfl-catch-cowboys

If a player is going to the ground in the process of making a catch, he must maintain control throughout the entire process of contacting the ground,” the narrator of the video says. “If the player does not maintain control of the ball throughout the process of contacting the ground, the pass is incomplete.” By that definition, the Bryant play, as amazing as it was, isn’t a catch.

The ref from the game

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/01/11/steratore-explains-decision-to-overturn-dez-catch/

We deemed that by our judgment to be the full process of the catch, and at the time he lands and the ball hits the ground, it comes loose as it hits the ground, which would make that incomplete; although he re-possesses it, it does not contact the ground when he reaches so the repossession is irrelevant because it was ruled an incomplete pass when we had the ball hit the ground.”

Ceodore

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The more i watch it at full speed, the more i'm convince he never had control of his body and can't possibly call that a football move. you watch it at full speed knowing he bobbles the ball when it hits the ground i actually think thats a pretty easy call to make and am surprised the ref didnt rule it incomplete on the field.

THEHEREAFTER

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No---the steps do not count.

He took 3 steps. Here's the issue. You don't lunge for the goal line unless you know you have the ball. What's tough for Cowboys fans is knowing the type of player Dez is and his abilities. Dez ALWAYS fights for more yardage and he's anywhere near the goal line, he'll fight like his life depends on scoring. Sometimes a gift and a curse. His actions tell me I have caught the ball.. now I'm trying to score. Back to the steps though, at what point have you actually "caught" the ball as you're stumbling to the ground? It can be assumed that one can take 4-5-6 steps while stumbling attempting to maintain balance?

98Redbird

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Honestly, I don't even see what it matters... Would I personally say that Dez caught that ball? Yeah, probably. According to the rule did he? No, he didn't.

But again, even if you give him that catch, he was short of the goal line. So, now, you're assuming they score the TD, and you're assuming they convert the 2 point conversion, and you're assuming that Rodgers (who had caught fire in the 2nd half) does NOT drive them down the field to score (at the very least a FG to tie) with plenty of time on the clock...

If the Cowboys fans want to find something to complain about today, complain about the Murray fumble, complain about not being able to generate anything resembling a pass rush, complain about the fact that a rookie WR torched you, complain about the call (twice) on 3rd/4th and short to pass as opposed to putting the ball in the league leading rushers hand behind arguably the best offensive line in football.

Plenty went wrong in that game, don't be cheap and blame it on the refs. They did NOT decide the outcome of that game. Period.

Einstein McFly

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I bet Murray leaves because he'll be demanding a premium top RB contract after the year he had.
He'd be NUTS to leave. There are only a few backs in the league that are really special and will get yards without a great line. I'm not sure that he's one of them and he should stick with that team as long as they have the best line in football. Then again, it may be that he was playing for this coming contract and doesn't care how many yards he actually gets from now on, as long as he gets paid. I guess we'll find out.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
People are confusing it..

Everyone says it is a catch..But the rule states it isnt a catch

The refs got call right...its a shame the rule is wrong
The rule is okay. You will never have a rule that works 100% of the time. Any adjustment to the rule and I guarantee there will be a play the other way and one team will be upset that it was called a catch.

To me the Calvin Johnson call was worse. that's because I think he put the ball down on purpose.

You have to have definable rules and not "it felt like a catch kinda ****." It takes the refs out of the equation more than what they are. So there you go. Expect these from time to time, just a part of the game. Packers had the fail Mary - that was tough and not nearly as big and important game. I know how Cowboy fans must feel and I applaud those here and their class in discussing the matter, despite the lack of reciprocation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest posts