Herb Taylor??

OP
OP
Croak

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
Oh ok. Back in August. I thought you were saying that due to the recent injuries, GB brought him in to workout but he failed his physical.

No, I was just curious why he's listed as a free agent and the Pack didn't call him. He's probably done.

Kitten

Feline Cheesehead
Reaction score
No, I was just curious why he's listed as a free agent and the Pack didn't call him. He's probably done.

Hmmmm... Do we have the rooster space for him? Or maybe TT thought Taylor was better. Or it could of come down to money and the cap. I like Tausher, but if he's a FA, they'd better claim him if they want him before somebody else does. The Pack isn't the only team with O-Line issues.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
If I remember correctly one poster described the Packers OL of about a month ago as one of the best Packers OL ever and others seem to think Newhouse shouldn't be in the league. The truth IMO is somewhere in between. I'm not sure what some fans expect of Newhouse. Remember he was a compensation pick selected at the end of the 5th round - the 169th player taken in that draft. He is only in his second year and he's playing the most difficult position on the OL on a prolific passing offense which, of course, passes the ball a lot. Week in, week out he usually faces the opponents' best pass rusher. IMO he's doing OK considering all of that. But that's also why I've been hoping for Clifton's return if he can knock the rust off by the playoffs.

Regarding Tauscher, who I loved as a player and admire as a person, the last time he was healthy it looked - to me at least - like he was done. Hey, it happens to everyone. What is remarkable to me is that age "attacked" him before Clifton who overcame that huge injury delivered by Sapp.

BTW, who is Herb Taylor? He was the guy at the top of the Packers' list of street free agent OTs. We shouldn't expect too much from him.

OP
OP
Croak

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
Coach in his news conference today said they are very fond of Tauscher. There were discussions, but Coach wouldn't comment on the discussions. He said Kampen is working a lot with the new dude every day to bring him up to speed. It's possible he'll be available for the game Sunday. And Clifton was back in practice and looked fine.

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Plenty of good NFL offensive linemen have been drafted past the first round. Tauscher is a good example. His draft position is pretty irrelevant to me. But I do note that the scouting reports on him coming out of TCU had him playing guard in the NFL. He simply doesn't have the quickness to play tackle.

OP
OP
Croak

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
Vandermause reported that Clifton was limited in practice and probably won't be ready for game Sunday.

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I really don't want to see Clifton playing until he is ready but damn Newhouse is going to get Rodgers killed. Here comes Peppers. :(

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Plenty of good NFL offensive linemen have been drafted past the first round. Tauscher is a good example.
I certainly agree with that. But Tauscher playing and succeeding as a late round rookie OT is by far the exception and not the rule. Newhouse saw no game action last season – he was inactive for 14 games and then went on IR, so this in effect is his rookie season.

I’m going to wait until Newhouse has a full offseason before agreeing he “doesn’t have the quickness to play tackle”. But my concern about him is why I’ve been saying – and hoping – Sherrod is the LT of the future. Of course that hope has been dealt a blow. And why I hope Clifton experiences a Reggie White-like miracle recovery in time for the playoffs.

Members online

Latest posts