HBO Lombardi Dec 11th

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
HBO: Lombardi: Home

HBO is doing a documentary on Lombardi, I just saw a preview on HBO for it but cant find it anywhere online. Im really looking forward to this as HBO does really good work with sports. The latest example would be the Bird Magic documentary.

Kitten

Feline Cheesehead
Reaction score
Oh my! Thanks for the heads up!!! I just may have to pony up and subscribe for HBO just for that, it would be worth it. I did it for The Sopranos, I can do it for Vinny Lombardi!!! (((Vinnito))) ;)

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Saw the documentary, was really impressed. Ended at a place I have never been but would like to go someday.

GreenGoldAngel

Banned
Banned
Reaction score

Wood Chipper

Fantasy Football Guru
Reaction score
Oh my! Thanks for the heads up!!! I just may have to pony up and subscribe for HBO just for that, it would be worth it. I did it for The Sopranos, I can do it for Vinny Lombardi!!! (((Vinnito))) ;)

no need kitten. i guarantee that within a day after this airs i can find you a link to watch the full thing online

GreenGoldAngel

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Wood Chipper. I have HBO, just give me a heads up when the movie is available on DVD so I can buy as gifts for my Packer friends.

GreenGoldAngel

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
If you happen to read the review of the HBO film that I directed you to, remember the last sentence:

"But every February, when a trophy is awarded to the best team in football, there is only one name on it, Vince Lombardi."

Wood Chipper

Fantasy Football Guru
Reaction score
a dvd would be awesome! im just sayin if u dont get the chance to see it when it premieres i can get u a link to watch it so u dont need to wait till the dvd comes out

GreenGoldAngel

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I think this fits in nicely with the Lombardi story and Jerry Kramer's comments about the city of Green Bay:

Thom Loverro
Examiner Columnist
The Washington Redskins face the storied Green Bay Packers on Sunday at FedEx Field.
If it were, lets say 1925, then they may go on to face the Dayton Triangles and the Portsmouth Spartans. Back then, the Packers would actually be facing the Duluth Eskimos, the NFL franchise that eventually went belly up and whose remains were bought by Washington businessman George Preston Marshall, who turned them into the Boston Braves, who begat the Boston Redskins, who of course begat the team you all know and love here in Washington today.
But in its infancy, the NFL did not consist solely of big-market franchises. It was in towns like Pottsville, Pa., and Decatur, Ill., and other small Midwest and coal-mining towns.
But as it grew and evolved, the league left behind those small working-class cities for bigger markets, like Chicago, Philadelphia and Washington.
Except for Green Bay, Wis.
The Packers football club began in 1919 and joined the NFL in 1921. They not only have managed to survive all these years, but thrive both on and off the field as one of the most successful franchises in the NFL.
We take it for granted, but the existence of Sundays Redskins opponent, the Packers, remains one of the great sports stories in this country and worthy of marveling at from time to time.
Green Bay is ranked 268th in population among American cities, with 101,351 people according to currently available census figures. Pompano Beach, Fla., has more people. So does Frisco, Texas, and Gresham, Ore.
But that is city population numbers within city limits. Certainly there is more to Green Bay than those numbers. So lets look at population figures for metropolitan statistical areas.
Green Bay is ranked 152nd among MSAs Ocala, Fla., is a bigger MSA than Green Bay. So is Kingsport-Bristol, Tenn. Green Bay with 304,783 people barely beats out Charleston, W.Va., as a metropolitan statistical area.
Yet they have the most valued sports commodity a community could have an NFL team. Los Angeles doesnt even have an NFL franchise.
Buffalo ranked 70th as a city, with 270,240 people is the closest down the list to Green Bay. And every season Bills fans fear it could be their teams last in Buffalo, because of a dwindling fan base and lack of deep pockets in the business community. They have resorted to scheduling some home games at the Rogers Centre in Toronto as a means of survival.
Fans in Green Bay dont have to worry about that because they own the team the only non-profit, community-owned franchise in major American professional sports. They laid the groundwork for this in 1923, when the articles of incorporation dictated that any proceeds from any sale by stockholders of the club would have to go to a local American Legion post to build a proper soldiers memorial. That made sure there was no financial incentive to sell the team, and it remains today owned by stockholders fans and operated by an elected executive committee.
Nearly 30 years ago, the NFL established ownership rules forbidding such an ownership structure, but the Packers were grandfathered in. Too bad, this should have been the blueprint for all American cities with sports franchises. It would have saved a lot of public extortion

VolvoD

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Anyone have a target date for a DVD release of this? Also, any update on the Robert DeNero film??

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think this fits in nicely with the Lombardi story and Jerry Kramer's comments about the city of Green Bay:

Thom Loverro
Examiner Columnist
The Washington Redskins face the storied Green Bay Packers on Sunday at FedEx Field.
If it were, lets say 1925, then they may go on to face the Dayton Triangles and the Portsmouth Spartans. Back then, the Packers would actually be facing the Duluth Eskimos, the NFL franchise that eventually went belly up and whose remains were bought by Washington businessman George Preston Marshall, who turned them into the Boston Braves, who begat the Boston Redskins, who of course begat the team you all know and love here in Washington today.
But in its infancy, the NFL did not consist solely of big-market franchises. It was in towns like Pottsville, Pa., and Decatur, Ill., and other small Midwest and coal-mining towns.
But as it grew and evolved, the league left behind those small working-class cities for bigger markets, like Chicago, Philadelphia and Washington.
Except for Green Bay, Wis.
The Packers football club began in 1919 and joined the NFL in 1921. They not only have managed to survive all these years, but thrive both on and off the field as one of the most successful franchises in the NFL.
We take it for granted, but the existence of Sundays Redskins opponent, the Packers, remains one of the great sports stories in this country and worthy of marveling at from time to time.
Green Bay is ranked 268th in population among American cities, with 101,351 people according to currently available census figures. Pompano Beach, Fla., has more people. So does Frisco, Texas, and Gresham, Ore.
But that is city population numbers within city limits. Certainly there is more to Green Bay than those numbers. So lets look at population figures for metropolitan statistical areas.
Green Bay is ranked 152nd among MSAs Ocala, Fla., is a bigger MSA than Green Bay. So is Kingsport-Bristol, Tenn. Green Bay with 304,783 people barely beats out Charleston, W.Va., as a metropolitan statistical area.
Yet they have the most valued sports commodity a community could have an NFL team. Los Angeles doesnt even have an NFL franchise.
Buffalo ranked 70th as a city, with 270,240 people is the closest down the list to Green Bay. And every season Bills fans fear it could be their teams last in Buffalo, because of a dwindling fan base and lack of deep pockets in the business community. They have resorted to scheduling some home games at the Rogers Centre in Toronto as a means of survival.
Fans in Green Bay dont have to worry about that because they own the team the only non-profit, community-owned franchise in major American professional sports. They laid the groundwork for this in 1923, when the articles of incorporation dictated that any proceeds from any sale by stockholders of the club would have to go to a local American Legion post to build a proper soldiers memorial. That made sure there was no financial incentive to sell the team, and it remains today owned by stockholders fans and operated by an elected executive committee.
Nearly 30 years ago, the NFL established ownership rules forbidding such an ownership structure, but the Packers were grandfathered in. Too bad, this should have been the blueprint for all American cities with sports franchises. It would have saved a lot of public extortion
NOBODY looks at the Bears and think about Decatur.

To go along, I provide this, which only exemption are Green Bay fans, really: This Week In F**k You: ‘Great’ Fans | Kissing Suzy Kolber

WARNING: foul language.

GreenGoldAngel

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Anyone have a target date for a DVD release of this? Also, any update on the Robert DeNero film??

I just called HBO, they told me the average release date of their films is six month after original broadcasting.

GreenGoldAngel

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
HBO is showing Lombardi on Saturday8:00-9:30 PM eastern time, and 8:30-10:00 PM pacific time. Can't figure out what time for CST or PMT.

GreenGoldAngel

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
If you missed the showing of HBO LOMBARDI, they will be giving encore broadcasts through the rest of December.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wow.
Just wow.
It was a very well done and awesome doc!
Very moving as well.
Esp. since they interviewed family members. (Son, daughter, brother.)
Watching this should make a Packers fan even more proud to be a Packers fan knowing that Vince is still on our side.

I liked how they showed his office with his voice overs.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I noticed that also. Maybe when he was 23 and third string he was playing the next week opponent QB, other than that I have no explanation.
Another guess is that maybe his #15 was so trashed or in the wash that he was wearing back up jersey's until he got the #15 one back or replaced?

Either way it was just so cool to see him in the present with his stories as well as footage of him.

And I really liked seeing the drive in the Ice Bowl rather than just the game winning sneak which the networks play to death EVERY Packers playoff.

Members online

Latest posts