Harris going to IR

OP
OP
H

HardRightEdge

One thing is for sure and no one has mentioned this:

Sherman hit Harris on the knee he injured by going low on him. It has been an unwritten rule that players wouldn't go low on each other, but we need to get use to these type of injuries because the NFL is fining for hits above the waste even if they are legal because of the concussion lawsuits. The game will suffer this year with bad judgement calls by the officials. I just hope that it doesn't cost GB games from being physical & aggressive.

I'm not so sure Harris' knee didn't give out on the cut before the hit. It was already gimpy and may have only needed a little twist.

BorderRivals.com

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This doesn't bother me, and let me explain why... btw, no it's not because I'm insensitive, I was actually rooting for the little guy, he has a great story, he has talent and I like his attitude.

Before the draft last year, someone made an observation, which at the time I brushed off. Until I thought about it a little bit more. The statement was this, "Offensive line help will do a hell of a lot more for GB's running game than a RB will."

Now, initially I didn't quite follow, maybe because we see AP twice a year and once in the playoffs, but then I thought about it, how come teams with phenomenal O lines can just plug any old guy in at RB and they take off? Why does it seem that RB on certain teams is the easiest position to fill? Guy's I've never even heard of come in and start tearing ***. Why?

Because a hole is a hole and a crease is a crease, and ANY NFL caliber runner can hit it. I get that vision comes into play, and I get that athletic ability comes into play, and I get that there's a lot more to it than that, but for the most part, if your offensive line is at least adequate, you can run with most any NFL RB. There's guys like AP, Barry Sanders and Walter Payton that can make average to below average O lines look good just based off of sheer stupidity athletically, but those guys are not standard, by any stretch of the imagination... So my point is, most any NFL caliber running back can and will have success at an NFL level behind a good offensive line.

Look at Lacy, was a stud in college, behind an o line that could probably start for most pro teams. Then look at him against the Seahawks. Run to daylight, that's a RB's job... if there's no daylight, what do you expect?? (Having GH as your starting QB doesn't help... who's going to respect that passing game?)

My point is, we've got guys on our roster that can make the other team respect the run... but if our O line cannot give him opportunities then it doesn't matter who's back there.

I think you are overstating this. Sure, elite lines can make average backs look great. But, great backs can make average lines look better too. So, having a RB that can make something out of nothing like this, also makes a difference:
You must be logged in to see this image or video!
(Lacy)
(Harris - this was pretty well blocked, but Harris made it a bigger run with his vision, explosiveness, and shiftiness). So, the loss of Harris, even if he was just a compliment to Lacy (which I think he could have been more than that), hurts us - especially since the likes of Green and Franklin haven't shown what Harris had.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
One thing is for sure and no one has mentioned this:

Sherman hit Harris on the knee he injured by going low on him. It has been an unwritten rule that players wouldn't go low on each other, but we need to get use to these type of injuries because the NFL is fining for hits above the waste even if they are legal because of the concussion lawsuits. The game will suffer this year with bad judgement calls by the officials. I just hope that it doesn't cost GB games from being physical & aggressive.

http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com...Harris-lands-IR-after-aggravating-knee-injury

The injury appeared to happen when a helmet collided with the knee at the conclusion of a screen pass, but Harris said it had already started swelling prior to that point.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
1. There would only be two teams.
2. Both would suck.
3. They would be broke.
4. The rule book would be 35,000 pages.
5. Every Game would end in a Stalemate.
5.5 The Stalemate would result in a financial sequester (oh wait, the Packers are already there) :roflmao:

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
6. The losers would get larger individual trophies than the winners.
6a. If they bother to keep score.
7. Belicheat would be an idol of the NSA

98Redbird

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think you are overstating this. Sure, elite lines can make average backs look great. But, great backs can make average lines look better too. So, having a RB that can make something out of nothing like this, also makes a difference:
(Lacy)
(Harris - this was pretty well blocked, but Harris made it a bigger run with his vision, explosiveness, and shiftiness). So, the loss of Harris, even if he was just a compliment to Lacy (which I think he could have been more than that), hurts us - especially since the likes of Green and Franklin haven't shown what Harris had.

I'm not downplaying his ability, he's like a less explosive Sproles type. I'm admitting the kid's got talent, I like him. I root for him. I agree that he and Lacy would have been a nice 1-2. I also think that if Harris was 5" taller, he would not be the same runner (defenses admit that not being able to see a short back makes it hard, because last second they explode around the edge and they aren't ready. His height is actually an advantage to him).

I'm just saying that good backs will struggle behind a poor o line, poor backs will have mild to decent success behind a good O line.

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm just saying that good backs will struggle behind a poor o line, poor backs will have mild to decent success behind a good O line.

Given our OL is on the poor side imho, Shorty seemed like a perfect fit. He squirted through the poorest of blocking.

Members online

Latest posts