Harris going to IR

H

HardRightEdge

Another unfortunate circumstance. Looks like Green and/or Starks gets a reprieve, or Pease goes to PS.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Did he get injured during a pre-season game?
If so, let me see if I get this.

So the NFL which fines a player for even just looking at another player the wrong way will get fined to try and crack down on preventing injuries is mulling about the idea to expand the season by two more games. Which could result in more injuries.
Yet, players now technically play a 20 game season. (4 pre. 16 reg.)
And if they do play 18 reg. season games, then pre-season may be cut down to 2 or it stays at 4.
So players would be playing 20-24 games which, still, wouldn't prevent injuries and the NFL is being two faced while claiming to try and prevent injuries.

Are we sure that the American government is not running the NFL?

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Were we all honestly counting on a guy with two starts and six total games for Green Bay to be the answer at RB? He just had to look better than our top running back, Alex Green (464 yards). The likely scenario would be that he would compete with the others.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He was injured in OTAs and then reinjured it on Friday night.

Yet, players now technically play a 20 game season. (4 pre. 16 reg.) And if they do play 18 reg. season games, then pre-season may be cut down to 2 or it stays at 4.
So players would be playing 20-24 games which, still, wouldn't prevent injuries and the NFL is being two faced while claiming to try and prevent injuries.

Wait, what?#%&? Wholly conspiracy theories Batman. Your logic makes zero sense. The NFL has talked about keeping the game count at 20 no matter what, it's just whether they move from 16 reg / 4 pre-season to 18 reg / 2 pre-season.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He was injured in OTAs and then reinjured it on Friday night.

Wait, what?#%&? Wholly conspiracy theories Batman. Your logic makes zero sense. The NFL has talked about keeping the game count at 20 no matter what, it's just whether they move from 16 reg / 4 pre-season to 18 reg / 2 pre-season.
Thank you for the answer.

I wan't trying to raise any conspiracy theories.
My point (Which I admit was hard to get across in the colorful way I tried to express it) is that the NFL claims they want to prevent injuries while at the same time they are keeping it at a high game count.
Keep it at 16 reg.
Reduce the pre-season to 2 (Or not at all) and there could be less injuries.
The NFL, to me, looks hypocritical.

Chicocheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What a bummer. I really liked Harris. He ran hard, had speed, and had HEART. Lets see what Lacy can do out of the gate!

98Redbird

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This doesn't bother me, and let me explain why... btw, no it's not because I'm insensitive, I was actually rooting for the little guy, he has a great story, he has talent and I like his attitude.

Before the draft last year, someone made an observation, which at the time I brushed off. Until I thought about it a little bit more. The statement was this, "Offensive line help will do a hell of a lot more for GB's running game than a RB will."

Now, initially I didn't quite follow, maybe because we see AP twice a year and once in the playoffs, but then I thought about it, how come teams with phenomenal O lines can just plug any old guy in at RB and they take off? Why does it seem that RB on certain teams is the easiest position to fill? Guy's I've never even heard of come in and start tearing ***. Why?

Because a hole is a hole and a crease is a crease, and ANY NFL caliber runner can hit it. I get that vision comes into play, and I get that athletic ability comes into play, and I get that there's a lot more to it than that, but for the most part, if your offensive line is at least adequate, you can run with most any NFL RB. There's guys like AP, Barry Sanders and Walter Payton that can make average to below average O lines look good just based off of sheer stupidity athletically, but those guys are not standard, by any stretch of the imagination... So my point is, most any NFL caliber running back can and will have success at an NFL level behind a good offensive line.

Look at Lacy, was a stud in college, behind an o line that could probably start for most pro teams. Then look at him against the Seahawks. Run to daylight, that's a RB's job... if there's no daylight, what do you expect?? (Having GH as your starting QB doesn't help... who's going to respect that passing game?)

My point is, we've got guys on our roster that can make the other team respect the run... but if our O line cannot give him opportunities then it doesn't matter who's back there.

jaybadger82

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My point (Which I admit was hard to get across in the colorful way I tried to express it) is that the NFL claims they want to prevent injuries while at the same time they are keeping it at a high game count.
Keep it at 16 reg.
Reduce the pre-season to 2 (Or not at all) and there could be less injuries.
The NFL, to me, looks hypocritical.

...then NFL teams couldn't make their season ticket holders pay regular price for four meaningless preseason games.

But I agree with your point. The difference between a 16-game regular season and an 18-game regular season is tremendous and it seems hypocritical to push for more games that matter in light of all the injury issues surrounding the sport.

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It would have been nice to have Harris as a change up back. But we have Lacy and Franklin and we will need production from them to win a Super Bowl. Ted & Mike recognized this need in April and as a consequence drafted these guys.

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think Lacy and Franklin is the right combination to be talking about. Lacy and Green are the ones we need production from. Franklin hasn't done a single thing in a game-like situation to warrant the first thought that he's an NFL-caliber RB.

Last edited:

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Look at Lacy, was a stud in college, behind an o line that could probably start for most pro teams. Then look at him against the Seahawks. Run to daylight, that's a RB's job... if there's no daylight, what do you expect?? (Having GH as your starting QB doesn't help... who's going to respect that passing game?)

To be fair, by the time Lacy got into the game, he was running mostly behind 2nd and 3rd stringers against their starters, who played well into the 3rd quarter.

OP
OP
H

HardRightEdge

If so, let me see if I get this.

So the NFL which fines a player for even just looking at another player the wrong way will get fined to try and crack down on preventing injuries is mulling about the idea to expand the season by two more games. Which could result in more injuries.
Yet, players now technically play a 20 game season. (4 pre. 16 reg.)
And if they do play 18 reg. season games, then pre-season may be cut down to 2 or it stays at 4.

The NFL has terminated discussions with the union on the 18 game season, which would have included a 2 game preseason. It is dead.

The NFL has a new initiative...studying leg injuries. I suggest they begin with the Packers, with particular attention to this DD GrassMaster turf.

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The NFL has terminated discussions with the union on the 18 game season, which would have included a 2 game preseason. It is dead.

The NFL has a new initiative...studying leg injuries. I suggest they begin with the Packers, with particular attention to this DD GrassMaster turf.

Kentucky Bluegrass!

Bagadeez04

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Another one bites the dust...I feel bad because this kid needed to get back in there for his career to take off.

I have a section on my whiteboard for IRed players, I will sadly add him to the list...two starters lost and we haven't even played a real game yet. What is the deal in Green Bay with this number of injuries every single year?

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Another one bites the dust...I feel bad because this kid needed to get back in there for his career to take off.

I have a section on my whiteboard for IRed players, I will sadly add him to the list...two starters lost and we haven't even played a real game yet. What is the deal in Green Bay with this number of injuries every single year?

Do you think we're the only team that loses players in the preseason?

Sunshine885500

Cheesehead
Reaction score
One thing is for sure and no one has mentioned this:

Sherman hit Harris on the knee he injured by going low on him. It has been an unwritten rule that players wouldn't go low on each other, but we need to get use to these type of injuries because the NFL is fining for hits above the waste even if they are legal because of the concussion lawsuits. The game will suffer this year with bad judgement calls by the officials. I just hope that it doesn't cost GB games from being physical & aggressive.

OP
OP
H

HardRightEdge

About 1/3 of the teams don't make much money and another 1/3 are not worth the investment. Most NFL teams qualify as hobbies.

Then consider what goes into a rule change. The new ball carrier spearing rule is one example. The league reviewed every instance of ball carrier-to-defender contact that took place last year and concluded this penalty would have been called 3 times. That entails some number of gigabytes of tape snippets archived for support of the rule.

Add to it the reams of reports submitted to the rules committee, meeting minutes, etc.

Now add the instructional materials for training the referees with a different set of tape snippets illustrating instances of the penalty along with similar instances where penalties should not be called.

You can't measure the size of the rules based on the number of pages in the book just as you cannot judge the amount of regulation from the length of a bill.

In any case, legislation, NFL rules and sausage have one thing in common...you don't want to see them being made.

Members online

Latest posts