Ha Ha's importance to the Packers D

armand34

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I remember reading somewhere recently the D wants to use Hyde as a combination defender....nickel/LB/safety kind of player...TBD...I really want to see Haha in preseason among others, but damn that's a long time from now still

D

Deleted member 6794

I remember reading somewhere recently the D wants to use Hyde as a combination defender....nickel/LB/safety kind of player...TBD...I really want to see Haha in preseason among others, but damn that's a long time from now still

Hyde won´t play LB.

Joe Nor Cal Packer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I expect him to be the starter in week 1. Hyde practicing with the #1 defense in OTAs doesn´t mean a lot.
I agree. Ha Ha knows how to play safety, Hyde doesn't and so the Packers had the luxury of playing Hyde with the first team at OTAs. Ha Ha will get his baptism during training camp. Personally I think this is good for the safety situation. The more people who can play the position, the better off we'll be if injuries occur.

I expect Hyde will be moved around a lot this year in the secondary. If he can manage that, what a luxury to have a guy like that on the team. I'm sure he'd prefer to play one position, but given his talent and atheticism, MM will move him around.

And hopefully all of this will force Burnett to up his game, or he won't be in GB next year.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
IMO Hyde practicing at safety lessens the importance of Clinton-Dix. Of course I’d like to see Clinton-Dix grab the safety spot and become great there, but I see the safety position upgraded with Hyde even if it takes Clinton-Dix some time to start.

One of the things I found interesting about what McCarthy said about Hyde was how that affects Hayward and the starters in the DB if Hyde doesn't start at safety. I see Hayward as more important to the defense and if he and the starting CBs are healthy I don’t see Hyde taking their spots in the base or nickel. Then if C-D wins the starting safety spot opposite Burnett, whose snaps does Hyde take in the base and nickel? It’s a good “problem” to have – I just hope the “problem” isn’t settled by injury for a change.

Last edited:

ram29jackson

Cheesehead
Reaction score
hope he does well but what were his parents thinking ?
his name sounds like a bad political joke j/k ;)
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
hope he does well but what were his parents thinking ?
his name sounds like a bad political joke j/k ;)
You must be logged in to see this image or video!
His name is Ha'Sean. Unique names are all the rage the past generation or two. HaHa was the childhood nickname his grandma gave him before he started school. Most people grow out of that name but he didn't.
** consider the source before swallowing: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ha_Ha_Clinton-Dix

Joe Nor Cal Packer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
IMO Hyde practicing at safety lessens the importance of Clinton-Dix. Of course I’d like to see Clinton-Dix grab the safety spot and become great there, but I see the safety position upgraded with Hyde even if it takes Clinton-Dix some time to start.

One of the things I found interesting about what McCarthy said about Hyde was how that affects Hayward and the starters in the DB if Hyde doesn't start at safety. I see Hayward as more important to the defense and if he and the starting CBs are healthy I don’t see Hyde taking their spots in the base or nickel. Then if C-D wins the starting safety spot opposite Burnett, whose snaps does Hyde take in the base and nickel? It’s a good “problem” to have – I just hope the “problem” isn’t settled by injury for a change.
All great points. MM is suggesting that Hyde should be a three-down player, but where and if everyone is healthy, who sits? May require a lot of sacrificing for the team at the expense of building up individual stats - but it's a team game and the goal is to win the SB.

Then again, it is unlikely that everyone stays healthy all year in the secondary (or anywhere else). Also, as I suggested above, maybe the starting safeties at some point are Hyde and Dix. Not perfect as you don't have one pure FS and one pure SS. If nothing else, puts the heat on Burnett to up his play and earn his position. As you say, it's a good problem.

D

Deleted member 6794

I don't think armand34 was trying to say he'd literally play LB, but some of his roles would be like what LB would do, such as play really close to the line or have a bigger role in run support.

Not sure about that either. Who would he replace in that scenario???

D

Deleted member 6794

I think it is way too early to consider Hyde an upgrade at the safety position as he hasn´t taken any meaningful snaps there so far. It´s possible he will add another dimension to the position but as of right now it seems premature to assume it´s a given.

Although McCarthy has said repeatedly that he wants Hyde to play all three downs I don´t think he will either start at safety or move ahead of Hayward on the depth chart for the nickel position. Maybe the team plans to use more of the dime package with Hyde replacing on of the ILBs.

D

Deleted member 6794

Then again, it is unlikely that everyone stays healthy all year in the secondary (or anywhere else). Also, as I suggested above, maybe the starting safeties at some point are Hyde and Dix. Not perfect as you don't have one pure FS and one pure SS. If nothing else, puts the heat on Burnett to up his play and earn his position. As you say, it's a good problem.

If Hyde shows some talent at safety during camp Burnett will have to improve his play, otherwise it´s possible the starters could be Clinton-Dix and Hyde at some point in 2014.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
I think it is way too early to consider Hyde an upgrade at the safety position as he hasn´t taken any meaningful snaps there so far. It´s possible he will add another dimension to the position but as of right now it seems premature to assume it´s a given.
The safety play last season was so abysmal it is a given Hyde is an upgrade opposite Burnett IMO: The instincts he displayed combined with him being the best tackler in the secondary equal instant upgrade.
Although McCarthy has said repeatedly that he wants Hyde to play all three downs I don´t think he will either start at safety or move ahead of Hayward on the depth chart for the nickel position. Maybe the team plans to use more of the dime package with Hyde replacing on of the ILBs.
That was my point – they aren’t going to be in dime anywhere close to all three downs.

D

Deleted member 6794

The safety play last season was so abysmal it is a given Hyde is an upgrade opposite Burnett IMO: The instincts he displayed combined with him being the best tackler in the secondary equal instant upgrade.

Hyde was a pleasant surprise as a rookie and it´s probable he would be an instant upgrade over both Jennings and McMillian compared to last season. I think it takes some time though to learn a new position (he hasn´t played at safety for almost three years) at this level.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Doesn't have to replace anybody. He could be the considered the safety and just play near the line in some situations.
Unless they're going to play 12 men on D, he has to replace someone.

D

Deleted member 6794

Doesn't have to replace anybody. He could be the considered the safety and just play near the line in some situations.

So what you´re saying is that you expect him to get a lot of snaps at strong safety. Don´t see that happening.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why is it so far-fetched to think that HaHa might take a while to learn enough of the defense to be reliable at safety? I certainly hope he starts but I wouldn't be frustrated if he's not the starter. How many times have "communication" issues hurt this defense in the past?

D

Deleted member 6794

Why is it so far-fetched to think that HaHa might take a while to learn enough of the defense to be reliable at safety? I certainly hope he starts but I wouldn't be frustrated if he's not the starter. How many times have "communication" issues hurt this defense in the past?

It will take Clinton-Dix time to adjust to the NFL game, no doubt about that. The same applies to Hyde though as he hasn´t played the position at this level either.

Members online

Latest posts