Gutekunst "offered" to let Jordy stay for 90% pay cut to his contract salary

Packer46

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Terrible, uncalled for, dumb decision, Gruden outsmarts us, great star player, and we still have nothing done !

We got nothing!

VegasPacker

Cheeseman of the Board
Reaction score
I guess I just don't understand the never ending saga that Jordy keeps reliving in the media....I mean come on son, you don't have the speed anymore since the knee injury and you've basically sucked or been completely useless for the last 3 years.

If he is THAT ******* butt hurt by not being retained maybe he should have passed on the Raiders and taken the deal that was offered to stay on GB. I don't know what else to say here....I mean he won! He found another team to WAY overpay (shocking, the Raiders) so he should just be happy right now and focus ALL of his attention now to his new team and Derek Carr. He just sounds like a dumped ex girlfriend who just won't let it go and isn't satisfied with her new boyfriend.

HE WAS GIVEN THE CHANCE TO STAY! Yes I understand it was a low ball offer, but the ship has sailed....he chose the $$$ (just like pretty much everyone else would have) so now he has to live with his decision and let it go. But nobody is gonna feel sorry for him when he was in fact offered a deal to stay in GB.

Reaction score
Ideally a player we already have such as Jeronimo, Clark etc.. who has some existing knowledge of the playbook will need to step up big time. This would also take the pressure off of using an early draft pick at WR if our ideal fit is off the board.

We need to rely heavily by utilizing Ty Montgomery and our RBs in the short passing game during the transition. If Ty can stay healthy, he can be a major piece of puzzle until we get someone who has deep threat ability to rise to the occasion.

The one thing about the 2018 draft is there is a shortage of first round grade talent at WR and an overall shortage of talented WRs compared to past drafts, which means that supply and demand principle dictates some teams will over value at the top, especially if they are desperate to fill that position with someone starter capable day 1.
On the contrary, there seems to be a decent grouping of mid round WR talent (there are 14 WRs between a draft grade of 5.6 and 5.8 (NFL.com) while there is only one over that (Ridley)
I suspect the vast majority of decent WRs will go between round 2 and the early 5th round.
One strategy would be to be patient and wait and go after 2 WRs in the 4th round.

We could easily trade up into the 4th round a third time by packaging Comps #172,174 (and maybe a 7th) that should conceivably land us in the back half of round 4 for a total of three 4th rounders and the very first pick in the 5th (essentially another 4th round comp) so it would look like:
E,g, #101, #128ish, #133, #138’ etc..

Picking 2 WRs here would give us a legit shot at getting at least 1 to stick and would still leave adequate room to work on other positional needs by leaving us essentially:

2 more 4th rounders (calling pick #138 a 4th comp)
2 more 6th rounders
1 or 2 more 7th rounder(s)

Reaction score
But nobody is gonna feel sorry for him when he was in fact offered a deal to stay in GB.
C’mon are you serious? Regardless of your position on that decision you should be able to see that <2M wasn’t a legit offer for a 10yr Vet who led the league in TDs in 2016 and AGAIN led the league in TDs through week 5 of 2017.
You’re delirious if you say he’s been washed up for 3 years? were not that gullible in here.
That $ offer was a move to “save face” but it backfired. Gute probably knows now he would’ve been better off just leveling with Jordy.
Gute could’ve just been like “I’m not giving you a low ball offer because I respect you too much Jordy.. we’re shaking things up and moving in a different direction and you have been great for this team in every facet, I hope you understand this is purely a business decision.. and a very tough one at that” “you’ll always be a Green Bay Packer and anything we can do to assist you and your family I n moving forward to the next stage of your career, consider it done my friend”

Last edited:

VegasPacker

Cheeseman of the Board
Reaction score
C’mon are you serious? Regardless of your position on that decision you should be able to see that <2M wasn’t a legit offer for a 10yr Vet who led the league in TDs in 2016 and AGAIN led the league in TDs through week 5 of 2017.
You’re delirious if you say he’s been washed up for 3 years? were not that gullible in here.
That $ offer was a move to “save face” but it backfired. Gute probably knows now he would’ve been better off just leveling with Jordy.
Gute could’ve just been like “I’m not giving you a low ball offer because I respect you too much Jordy.. we’re shaking things up and moving in a different direction and you have been great for this team in every facet, I hope you understand this is purely a business decision.. and a very tough one at that” “you’ll always be a Green Bay Packer and anything we can do to assist you and your family I n moving forward to the next stage of your career, consider it done my friend”

Definition of delusional post.

This is a business, not a "gathering of friends" to have a great time. Yes for the last 3 years he's either been injured most of the time, hobbled with a lingering injury or just flat out wasn't living up to his enormous contract. You could say he "owed us" for basically doing next to nothing for the last 3 years while cashing his king's ransom type checks.

The 1-2 million per year (given the situation) was more than fair IMO for both sides. He's upset because the Green Bay Charity days came to an end. Oh well...with that money, we overhauled the team at two VERY key positions for next year. I'm sure he could have even got a little over 2 million to stay, but he chose to chase the money. Not mad at him at all, but please....stop with the poor me bull$hit as he cashes even MORE over inflated checks.

Reaction score

This is a business, not a "gathering of friends" to have a great time. Yes for the last 3 years he's either been injured most of the time, hobbled with a lingering injury or just flat out wasn't living up to his enormous contract. You could say he "owed us" for basically doing next to nothing for the last 3 years while cashing his king's ransom type checks.

The 1-2 million per year (given the situation) was more than fair IMO for both sides. He's upset because the Green Bay Charity days came to an end. Oh well...with that money, we overhauled the team at two VERY key positions for next year. I'm sure he could have even got a little over 2 million to stay, but he chose to chase the money. Not mad at him at all, but please....stop with the poor me bull$hit as he cashes even MORE over inflated checks.
Any checks that Jordy cashes he’s earned. If the GBP or Oakland Raiders are overpaying Jordy who’s fault is that?!?
They did it willingly and drew up a contract so TOO bad!! In your own words.. ITS BUSINESS!
It works both ways quit complaining!

First you ssid Jordy can’t play football? and hasn’t performed for 3 years??? Which we all know is an untruth btw.
Then you follow that by personally attacking him for being human and saying he should shut his mouth? What a whiner. You’re worse than Jordy with all the complaining.

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

speakhands

Cheesehead
Reaction score

This is the most brazenly uninformed post I have read on this forum. You're just working back from your conclusion with no regard for facts such as Nelson's clear market value (see: his new contract), the fact that he's been supremely productive with Rodgers the past two years, and the fact that he wildly outperformed his *modest* contract that was a discount to begin with.

Man, some fan you are. Bending backward to **** on a player who did right by us every step of the way.

D

Deleted member 6794

I guess I just don't understand the never ending saga that Jordy keeps reliving in the media....I mean come on son, you don't have the speed anymore since the knee injury and you've basically sucked or been completely useless for the last 3 years.

Yes for the last 3 years he's either been injured most of the time, hobbled with a lingering injury or just flat out wasn't living up to his enormous contract. You could say he "owed us" for basically doing next to nothing for the last 3 years while cashing his king's ransom type checks.

While Nelson missed the entire 2015 season because of a torn ACL he played in every single game aside of the season finale at Detroit last season over the past two years. With Rodgers starting at quarterback Jordy caught 119 passes for 1,515 yards and 20 touchdowns in 21 games in 2015 and '16. It's absolutely delusional to consider him sucking over that period based on those numbers.

I understand the Packers had to make a tough business decision with him but there's no reason to denouncing Nelson because of it.

VegasPacker

Cheeseman of the Board
Reaction score
While Nelson missed the entire 2015 season because of a torn ACL he played in every single game aside of the season finale at Detroit last season over the past two years. With Rodgers starting at quarterback Jordy caught 119 passes for 1,515 yards and 20 touchdowns in 21 games in 2015 and '16. It's absolutely delusional to consider him sucking over that period based on those numbers.

I understand the Packers had to make a tough business decision with him but there's no reason to denouncing Nelson because of it.

Are you forgetting the post season for 2016?? He made himself unavailable for most of the Giants playoff game and missed the Cowboys game.

This the point most people are missing....it was becoming a situation at his age and injury history that it was ALWAYS something. Every year he was getting injured somehow, some way and missing way too much time. The most important thing in every single job in the world is making yourself available and not missing work (games in this case). When you become unreliable....you become expendable (especially if you're already making too much money). It's that simple. Nothing else needs further explaination. Again that's called business.

VegasPacker

Cheeseman of the Board
Reaction score
This is the most brazenly uninformed post I have read on this forum. You're just working back from your conclusion with no regard for facts such as Nelson's clear market value (see: his new contract), the fact that he's been supremely productive with Rodgers the past two years, and the fact that he wildly outperformed his *modest* contract that was a discount to begin with.

Man, some fan you are. Bending backward to **** on a player who did right by us every step of the way.

So you're saying his 11-12 million a year with his injury history/age was such a discount we should have been grateful to continue paying him for what he USED to do for us? Man you wanna talk about "brazenly uninformed post"???

My God, good thing you aren't the GM or we'd still be paying guys way too much money based on past performance and a salary cap completely out of control. You sound like you would have made a GREAT Raiders and Al Davis fan.

VegasPacker

Cheeseman of the Board
Reaction score
Any checks that Jordy cashes he’s earned. If the GBP or Oakland Raiders are overpaying Jordy who’s fault is that?!?
They did it willingly and drew up a contract so TOO bad!! In your own words.. ITS BUSINESS!
It works both ways quit complaining!

First you ssid Jordy can’t play football? and hasn’t performed for 3 years??? Which we all know is an untruth btw.
Then you follow that by personally attacking him for being human and saying he should shut his mouth? What a whiner. You’re worse than Jordy with all the complaining.

Cry me a river...you're starting to sound like Jordy. And you obviously didn't read a single word in any post I made (I'm not surprised with this one). I clearly said good for him that he found a team dumb enough to overpay him at his age and declining production (not surprised it was the Raiders). You earn what you are CURRENTLY worth! We weren't gonna pay him for what he USED to be! The production and availability have been declining for 3 years....and at age 33 with an injury history, the production is going to continue to trend in the wrong direction. Some of you apparently just wanna keep paying players for what they used to be I guess. Maybe we should see if LeRoy Butler wants 8 million a year to see if he can still play?

This was the point of every post I made...I CLEARLY said he won!! He found somebody to over pay him so why is he still crying to the media about the 1-2 million offer from GB??? Instead of *****ing and crying about what GB didn't offer, he should be focused on his new team and QB now and go worry about the team that DID pay him!

Some of you apparently struggle with reading comprehension because you're too blinded by your own narratives of this entire situation. What's done is done and it's over. The Packer brass decided it was time to move on from the player and the contract. Again this is what's called a business decision, he HAD the opportunity to accept a lower offer for a chance to continue playing in GB and take part in a Super Bowl run.....he chose the money from Oakland (again FOR THE HUNDRETH TIME, not mad at him for chasing the $$$). But don't keep crying to the media about Green Bay not being stupid enough to pay what Oakland offered him.

The New England Patriots do the SAME thing every single year with their players....if you wanna compete for Super Bowls, you're gonna have to agree to take less money. Their formula OBVIOUSLY works beautifully to the tune of 5 Super Bowls titles and 8 Super Bowl appearances since 2001. The smart successful teams (Steelers, Patriots, Packers etc.) know how and when to make the right financial decisions....the dumpster fire organizations (Raiders, Dolphins, Redskins, Lions, Jets, Bucs etc.) continue to make the wrong decisions.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think any body reading this needs a definition of delusional, it's right here for all to witness...

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So you're saying his 11-12 million a year with his injury history/age was such a discount we should have been grateful to continue paying him for what he USED to do for us? Man you wanna talk about "brazenly uninformed post"???

My God, good thing you aren't the GM or we'd still be paying guys way too much money based on past performance and a salary cap completely out of control. You sound like you would have made a GREAT Raiders and Al Davis fan.

I'm sorry, but this is ridiculous. Letting Jordy go was the right move for the future, but saying he is not worth a decent 1 or 2 year deal just doesn't make sense. He still has some left in tank to perform at high level and I expect him to justify whatever the Raiders are paying for him.

Ceodore

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I get it was a business decision and the "packer way" is to cut someone loose erring on the side of too soon than too late. But it's really sounding like management was pretty callous and did him a little dirty in their meetings.

The most bizarre aspect about all of it isn't that they cut Jordy loose, but HOW they did it (with the insulting offer) and that there was little to no consideration of how it may end up affecting Rodger's contract if he's bitter about the situation. Not to mention the cutting of the QB coach earlier with off season without consulting AR. Cutting Nelson might end up costing GB MORE money if AR decides to stick it to the Pack a little more because of how the off season has gone so far than if they just kept him for a couple million a season.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I guess I just don't understand the never ending saga that Jordy keeps reliving in the media....

I think you have that reversed? The Media wants to tell this story because it's a big fat juicy fluff story. The media has a knack for taking an interview or even one comment by a well known person and twisting it, replaying it and over sensensationizing it to death, until the next big "story" pushes that one aside. Same thing happens right here in this forum.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I loved Jordy but last year he either gave up because of no Rodgers or he lost a couple of steps. Because he was not getting open. So I thought it was good to let him go make 7 million a year somewhere else. I will not be rooting for him as my dislike of the raiders outweighs my fondness for Jordy Nelson. You can't ever take away what he did in the super bowl for us. A lot of great plays from him. But we do need another receiver and also use Geronimo correctly.

VegasPacker

Cheeseman of the Board
Reaction score
I'm sorry, but this is ridiculous. Letting Jordy go was the right move for the future, but saying he is not worth a decent 1 or 2 year deal just doesn't make sense. He still has some left in tank to perform at high level and I expect him to justify whatever the Raiders are paying for him.

ONCE AGAIN we fail the reading comprehension part of the exam here...

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
If Jordy were still that dude that makes all the difference in the world, then he would have been right there with Davante making a difference even WITH Hundley throwing him the football. Davante sure found a way to make a difference with a below average quarterback.

At Jordy's price tag to the team, he simply was not worth that contract. Of course he's going to put up numbers with Rodgers throwing him the ball. Just about anyone could. But it was a product of the freakish wavelength that he and Rodgers built up over the years. Not because he still has any overwhelming physical gifts. The Packers needed to move on, and they did.

Would I have liked to see Jordy back on a re-structured deal? Of course. But you cannot argue with what we were able to do because of letting Jordy go.

The Green Bay Packers are a better football team with Mo/Graham as opposed to Jordy at this point in everyone's careers. THAT is the most important thing.

jetfixer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Are you forgetting the post season for 2016?? He made himself unavailable for most of the Giants playoff game and missed the Cowboys game.

This the point most people are missing....it was becoming a situation at his age and injury history that it was ALWAYS something. Every year he was getting injured somehow, some way and missing way too much time. The most important thing in every single job in the world is making yourself available and not missing work (games in this case). When you become unreliable....you become expendable (especially if you're already making too much money). It's that simple. Nothing else needs further explaination. Again that's called business.
Jordy made himself unavailable , with a vicious hit and broken ribs. That is not injury prone, that's football.

Reaction score
No offense intended, but do you always feel the need to insult people? Just saying.
If this Inflammatory poster is really a girl. Can you imagine being out on a date with her?
I don’t know about you but she would’ve had me at “snowflake” :roflmao:

VegasPacker

Cheeseman of the Board
Reaction score
No offense intended, but do you always feel the need to insult people? Just saying.

It's not unwarranted. If people can't read and comprehend than that's their problem. Misquotes happen when people aren't intelligent enough to READ and comprehend. They're so quick to want to hit the reply button because I've "offended" their narrative that they just can't help themselves. Not my problem.