Gutekunst "offered" to let Jordy stay for 90% pay cut to his contract salary

Reaction score
I agree MSP is one of 2-3 Major Hubs.(Ohare n Det)Almost all flights go through one of these.
Especially if you have to fly coach with 2 layovers because your previous employer just fired you after offering you 1/7tb of your market value. Lol

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Is this the most disrespectful rookie GM move you've ever heard of?

Not really. Gute mentioned that Jordy was released early so he can get a fair shake during initial hectic FA period. The offer was more likely and afterthought and neither party knew it'd be viable. Just procedural, I reckon.

n4t

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Anybody making this into drama is overwhelmingly clueless and needs to be quiet.

The Packer's offered him what they could. He's 33 and maybe has a year or two in him playing the slot if he's lucky. Facts are facts. Save the Drama for your Mamma.

I

I asked LT to delete my acct

It is kind of funny when they talk about a pay cut offering only $1.1 million wages !! I wish my boss would make me an offer like that. Maybe we could sort out food parcels to help him out ?? :oops:

I

I asked LT to delete my acct

Anybody making this into drama is overwhelmingly clueless and needs to be quiet.

The Packer's offered him what they could. He's 33 and maybe has a year or two in him playing the slot if he's lucky. Facts are facts. Save the Drama for your Mamma.

You were obviously a great loss to the diplomatic corps !!

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
People look to the Patriots as the way to be relevant for a long time. WWBB do? Cut Jordy and move on without angst. Then he would sign a mid tier replacement and get a year or two out of him before doing it again.

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Nah. The 2.3 dead money was a given hit.
Let’s be frank in calling what it is..
We offered him 1.1M+

That is a lousy way to treat your veterans and is a totally agregious rookie move. Whoever thought that was a good idea is a complete idiot.
I remember driver played that last year for 1 mil.....

mkonyn

Cheesehead
Reaction score
For most teams free agency is overpaying for small, calculated increases in talent and unfortunately that means the money has to come from somewhere. It's like living on the farm, if something's cost to production ratio starts to tilt, you take it behind the bar, shoot it and enjoy a great Sunday dinner.

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
People look to the Patriots as the way to be relevant for a long time. WWBB do? Cut Jordy and move on without angst. Then he would sign a mid tier replacement and get a year or two out of him before doing it again.

Exactly. Jordy was a great team guy but it is a business. Veterans leave teams for bigger pay days. Teams let veterans go when they don't think the can produce. Why are people angered or surprised by this.

AKCheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ummmmm because some people don’t live in the real world? These are the same people who think Favre was a traitor for playing for Minnesota. If Minny needed Jordy (they don’t), and wouid pay him (they won’t) he’d think about signing there tommorrow. After Detroit cut Alex Karras right before he was due a huge bonus, he said he’d play the next season for free as long as he could play whoever faced the lions each week.

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Nah. The 2.3 dead money was a given hit.
Let’s be frank in calling what it is..
We offered him 1.1M+

That is a lousy way to treat your veterans and is a totally agregious rookie move. Whoever thought that was a good idea is a complete idiot.

How about we quit pretending we know the whole story, shall we? For all anyone on this forum knows, the conversation may have gone something like this:

Packers: "Jordy, we hate to lose you, but we simply can't afford to keep you on the roster. We have a big contract coming up and we have to prepare for it."

Jordy: "I'd really like to stay. What can you offer?"

Packers: "Unfortunately, not much."

Jordy: "Just give me a number. Maybe we can make it work."

Packers: "Well, about all we can offer is around $1.1M. We're really sorry."

Jordy: "I understand. But I can't do that."

I swear. Some people on here just want to find something to be pissed about just for the sake of being pissy.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
How about we quit pretending we know the whole story, shall we? For all anyone on this forum knows, the conversation may have gone something like this:

Packers: "Jordy, we hate to lose you, but we simply can't afford to keep you on the roster. We have a big contract coming up and we have to prepare for it."

I swear. Some people on here just want to find something to be pissed about just for the sake of being pissy.

It's very possible that the conversation went something like that. A lot of people mad at Gute around the net feeling he insulted Jordy. I doubt that was his intent.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score

It may have very well went down like that. In fact I'd be willing to bet it was a lot closer to that than "we will give you 1.1 take it or take off" However, I don't think the issue is so much how it was offered rather that it was offered at all. People think the offer was insulting not the way it was presented.

You wrap a dog turd in a Tiffanys box and its still a dog turd.

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
The most unremarkable thing I can say is that "cap numbers" are one thing, cash payments are something altogether different.

My employer won't keep me out of loyalty.

I won't stay out of loyalty neither. I'd be pretty damn loyal for $10 mil, though.

sjb12681

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm with several in this boat that when staring at Cobb and Nelson's contracts with the signing of Adams in December, one of the 2 had to go (and hopefully the other renegotiated). Age, as well as injury combined with 10m this season after all but disappearing when Rodgers went down sealed it for him.

Ill miss him, but no more than I did antonio Freeman or Reggie white when they left.

Part of the game. Loyalty and massive contracts to underwhelming or over the hill players is part of what got us into cap hell under Ted.

I'll even say this: I'd ship Aaron off for the right price if he needed to go as well.

Sorry.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm with several in this boat that when staring at Cobb and Nelson's contracts with the signing of Adams in December, one of the 2 had to go (and hopefully the other renegotiated). Age, as well as injury combined with 10m this season after all but disappearing when Rodgers went down sealed it for him.

Ill miss him, but no more than I did antonio Freeman or Reggie white when they left.

Part of the game. Loyalty and massive contracts to underwhelming or over the hill players is part of what got us into cap hell under Ted.

I'll even say this: I'd ship Aaron off for the right price if he needed to go as well.

Sorry.
I understand your point... but I'd never mention Antonio Freeman and Reggie White in the same sentence lol.

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm torn about this move and not necessarily from a sentimental point but just more that we lost the guy Rodgers has had the best chemistry with, and it could mean younger and more athletic guys are in the scheme, but also could mean more time will be needed for Rodgers to get his next go-to guy. I mean I hope Cobb will have a rebound year, but his performance has struggled, and Adams's concussions concern me a lot. With Nelson gone now and some uncertainty behind these two, we certainly gotta hope Graham makes a revival of his 2011-2013 years to juice up the offense. Draft is going to be pretty telling.

Packer96

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's a business first and this was a business decision. We all love Jordy, but father time always wins, 33, rebuilt knee and as a veteran on the team last year, he vanished. Hope it works out for him but won't be surprised if it doesn't. There are still a couple vets that need a pay cut. Would like to see Cm and Cobb shaved a little. Would also like to see AR not ruin the team with the highest contract in history when it's done. he is already rich, leave money on the table for better teammates and hopefully more rings.

G0P4ckG0

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Sorry.
I would absolutely do that too. If this year, Cleveland's 1st and 2nd rounders, plus a high 2019 pick. That gives us picks #1, 4, 14, 33, 36, 46 for this year, plus a 1st or 2nd rounder next year.

With draft pick trades, 4 top-10 picks could be realistic this year. Who would turn that down? Not to mention the money we would save short-term. The longer we keep Rodgers the worse off we are 5-10 years from now unless low Draft picks and cheap free agents greatly exceed expectations.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think, personally, the team is just better telling the player that they're moving on without offering any contract, rather than offering a 90% paycut first. I mean, if you let him go then you can always offer the deal later if he doesn't sign elsewhere. But I don't any professional, in ANY industry, that wouldn't be insulted by being asked to take a 90% paycut.

mongoosev

Cheesehead
Reaction score
well, raiders got a good guy! of all teams....RAIDERS! arghhhh nelson does not fit in with that lot. two year 15 mil!

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The reason Gute low-balled Jordy is thst he doesn't see a role for him on the Packers and wanted him to still have a valid shot at signing with another team for decent money. Had Jordy and Gute stalled out at renegotiating a contract, Jordy's chances of signing with another team would have declined. The low-ball offer was a way of saying "nice to know ya but you are done here".