Gutekunst "offered" to let Jordy stay for 90% pay cut to his contract salary

Marlene

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Packer Fan from Germany here so please excuse if I don’t know about how Business works in the NFL but I Hope you can help me :)
I know a lot of People says cutting Jordy was a business decision and the deal with the Raiders is done. Ok, got that.
But maybe somebody can tell me if there‘s a chance of getting him back after this 2 years (if he will/can play out his contract). Maybe for a last year in green and gold. Just like James Jones did before? Or perhaps they decide to cut him after a season. Is there a realistic chance to bring him back so he can play and retire as a Packer? Or will he be too old for that or the organization doesn‘t want him back?
I know there‘s the possibility to give him a contract for 1 day so he can retire but I‘m wondering if there’s any kind of chance to see him again playing for the Packers or come back as a Packer.

So much questions but I couldn‘t figure that out clearly. So I just wanted to ask people who knows :)

Thanks in advance for helping me answer my questions :)

RepStar15

"We're going to relentlessly chase perfection."
Reaction score
Packer Fan from Germany here so please excuse if I don’t know about how Business works in the NFL but I Hope you can help me :)
I know a lot of People says cutting Jordy was a business decision and the deal with the Raiders is done. Ok, got that.
But maybe somebody can tell me if there‘s a chance of getting him back after this 2 years (if he will/can play out his contract). Maybe for a last year in green and gold. Just like James Jones did before? Or perhaps they decide to cut him after a season. Is there a realistic chance to bring him back so he can play and retire as a Packer? Or will he be too old for that or the organization doesn‘t want him back?
I know there‘s the possibility to give him a contract for 1 day so he can retire but I‘m wondering if there’s any kind of chance to see him again playing for the Packers or come back as a Packer.

So much questions but I couldn‘t figure that out clearly. So I just wanted to ask people who knows :)

Always a chance he comes back. If he doesn’t have a solid year in Oakland, they could even cut him befor eyear two and he comes back on a small contract in Green Bay if they need help (via injuries and whatnot). Always a chance, but pretty unlikely at this point.

Marlene

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Always a chance he comes back. If he doesn’t have a solid year in Oakland, they could even cut him befor eyear two and he comes back on a small contract in Green Bay if they need help (via injuries and whatnot). Always a chance, but pretty unlikely at this point.

I was afraid of this answer but if you say there‘s always a chance I‘ll get my fingers crossed so we can see him again catching a ball from Aaron...
I wish him all the best of course but it feels not right to me to see him in different colours than green and gold...
Thank you so much for your quick reply ☺️

Conan Troutman

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Ha a fellow German, hi! Yeah I wouldn't get my hopes up. His buddy James Jones spread the news about the lowball offer, so I'd say Jordy didn't take it too well and I doubt he would negotiate with Gutekunst again. Not sure if Gutekunst did himself any favors with that offer, a clean cut and no offer probably would've been better.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think we need to just remember the good times and move on. Jordy isn't coming back and if he does, we're not in a good position. IF he comes back in a year or 2 it means either A) he was cut because he wasn't worth 7+ million per year or B) he plays out his contract and is 35/36? when he comes back and we it would mean we hadn't gotten our younger faster guys up to speed in the offense yet and are hurting for WR's. Neither of which is a good situation.

I loved Jordy, think he was everything we all want in a Green Bay Packer. He was great, he was humble, he overcame adversity, he worked, and he played. He was a great member of the community, locally and NFL related. What wasn't to like? I wish him the best, but I don't think he suits up in a Packer uniform again.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The reason Gute low-balled Jordy is thst he doesn't see a role for him on the Packers and wanted him to still have a valid shot at signing with another team for decent money. Had Jordy and Gute stalled out at renegotiating a contract, Jordy's chances of signing with another team would have declined. The low-ball offer was a way of saying "nice to know ya but you are done here".

If that is the case it would have suited him better to cut him even sooner or simply say "I just don't see a place for you going forward so we are going to release you now so you have a chance to catch on somewhere else" It would have been a much better saving face gesture than to offer him the league minimum. If you don't want a guy why offer him a deal at all. I think Gute was hoping Jordy would show some loyalty and sign for a pittance and from what James Jones said it sounds like he considered it.

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'll even say this: I'd ship Aaron off for the right price if he needed to go as well.

Sorry.

Yeah, you'd better be sorry cuz that's utter insanity, especially considering the only guy we have right now to take his place is a cancerous dumpster fire.

Now ... in the next year or maybe 2 years from now we go out and look for the next QB to follow on a succession plan, and who knows maybe will find our own Garropolo. But right now we keep Rodgers anchored and hope we can keep him upright all year.

Marlene

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ha a fellow German, hi! Yeah I wouldn't get my hopes up. His buddy James Jones spread the news about the lowball offer, so I'd say Jordy didn't take it too well and I doubt he would negotiate with Gutekunst again. Not sure if Gutekunst did himself any favors with that offer, a clean cut and no offer probably would've been better.

You're German as well? If so: wow :D

I haven' seen so many great players left Green Bay so that's pretty bad for me ... Ok, girls are probably always more sentimental than might be necessary. And yet you never know what's coming ... As far as I could follow that from Germany there were also many fans totally shocked when the cut was known. So I just hope that Jordy (probably a lot less, I know :) ) will come back home. You never know :)

Marlene

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think we need to just remember the good times and move on. Jordy isn't coming back and if he does, we're not in a good position. IF he comes back in a year or 2 it means either A) he was cut because he wasn't worth 7+ million per year or B) he plays out his contract and is 35/36? when he comes back and we it would mean we hadn't gotten our younger faster guys up to speed in the offense yet and are hurting for WR's. Neither of which is a good situation.

I loved Jordy, think he was everything we all want in a Green Bay Packer. He was great, he was humble, he overcame adversity, he worked, and he played. He was a great member of the community, locally and NFL related. What wasn't to like? I wish him the best, but I don't think he suits up in a Packer uniform again.

Ok, the options aren't that great... I want to see the Packers competitive and strong so I hope the young WR will step up so we can win the next SuperBowl :)
(But maybe he can come back again for nostalgic reasons for a short time) :D

You're absolutely right! That's one reason why his cut is so bad, he was such a great person and did so much for the community. No scandals and always humble, modest and nice - as far as I can tell :)
I also find that he fits perfectly within GB, whether as a player or a person ... The Packers are like a big family and that's what I love so much about that franchise, so it was even worse that someone "from the family" had to leave so suddenly.

Conan Troutman

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You're German as well? If so: wow :D

I haven' seen so many great players left Green Bay so that's pretty bad for me ... Ok, girls are probably always more sentimental than might be necessary. And yet you never know what's coming ... As far as I could follow that from Germany there were also many fans totally shocked when the cut was known. So I just hope that Jordy (probably a lot less, I know :) ) will come back home. You never know :)

Yes, there are lots of us, just mostly on our German speaking forum.

I understand you, I wasn't able to see any regular season games until 10 years or so, so Jordy will always be one of my favorite Packers as well, no matter what uniform he wears next season.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jordy will be back for Jordy Nelson Day, when the dates for his number retirement ceremony and induction into the Packer HOF will be announced.

D

Deleted member 6794

Heh, maybe I got a little carried away there, but his prolific connection with Rodgers might at least give those who decide something to consider.

I don't think anyone involved in the decision is considering Nelson's number to be retired.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jordy will get into the Packers HOF someday and that will be it. He was the next version of Donald Driver IMO. I very good WR with a great personality making him a fan favorite.

On one of the Packers podcasts, they discussed the "lowball" offer from Gutekunst. One view is that it was an insult offer. Another view is that it was the "business decision" meaning it's all they could afford. Yet another view offered was that the Packers had decided to move on, but they offered Jordy the minimum in case he felt strongly about staying in Green Bay and finishing as a Packers player. The minimum tender would have allowed him to do it without tying the Packers hands.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
All things considered, I'd go with the last scenario far more often than the first.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Eventually, Jordy will be back in Green Bay.....for the "traditional" 1 day signing, so that he can retire as a member of the Green Bay Packers. I agree with most, his number won't be retired, but he will be in the Packer HOF.

LambeauLombardi

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jordy said today on Wilde and Tausch he was willing to take a cut, it made it sound like that 90% pay cut may have been close to accurate.

Last edited:

hallzi43

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Also from what it sounds is that the Packers didnt really have Jordy in their future plans for much a part of the offense. So offering him league minimum makes sense for a guy you dont think has it anymore. Tough decisions have to be made.

AKCheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The guy DISAPPEARED the last 10 games of the season.... maybe thats why Green Bay decided to move on? Maybe “they” decided it would be best to get Rogers a younger fastee guy who can get some separation instead of trying to hook up with his “ole buddy”..... wouldn’t it be worse to have Jordy either going out there when he’s “lost it” (his performance last year idicates that)... or just as bad he mopes on the bench while “fans” call for him to be out there everytime they feel his replacement “underperforms”.... the way this played out is probably the best possible all the way around.

Packer46

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Is this the most disrespectful rookie GM move you've ever heard of?
Terrible, you have ruined the team and what we stand for
https://twitter.com/jasonjwilde/status/973735066961678336

"The Green Bay Packers approached receiver Jordy Nelson with a big pay cut and an opportunity to stay in Green Bay, but the salary slash was too severe and two sides parted ways Tuesday.

According to Jason Wilde of ESPN and the Wisconsin State Journal, the Packers offered Nelson a salary nearing the 10-year veteran minimum, but the veteran receiver declined."​

Packer46

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The guy DISAPPEARED the last 10 games of the season.... maybe thats why Green Bay decided to move on? Maybe “they” decided it would be best to get Rogers a younger fastee guy who can get some separation instead of trying to hook up with his “ole buddy”..... wouldn’t it be worse to have Jordy either going out there when he’s “lost it” (his performance last year idicates that)... or just as bad he mopes on the bench while “fans” call for him to be out there everytime they feel his replacement “underperforms”.... the way this played out is probably the best possible all the way around.

Members online

Latest posts