Gutekunst "offered" to let Jordy stay for 90% pay cut to his contract salary

speakhands

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Is this the most disrespectful rookie GM move you've ever heard of?

https://twitter.com/jasonjwilde/status/973735066961678336

"The Green Bay Packers approached receiver Jordy Nelson with a big pay cut and an opportunity to stay in Green Bay, but the salary slash was too severe and two sides parted ways Tuesday.

According to Jason Wilde of ESPN and the Wisconsin State Journal, the Packers offered Nelson a salary nearing the 10-year veteran minimum, but the veteran receiver declined."​

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
probably closer to 80% but yeah that's a drastic cut. but...something's got to give when salaries go up and you're about to make qb1 the highest paid player in the league.

RepStar15

"We're going to relentlessly chase perfection."
Reaction score
If they offered him 1.1 million that’s in addition to the 2.8 million in dead cap for a total just under 4 million. Would be more like 68% of his current salary.

Reaction score
Nah. The 2.3 dead money was a given hit.
Let’s be frank in calling what it is..
We offered him 1.1M+

That is a lousy way to treat your veterans and is a totally agregious rookie move. Whoever thought that was a good idea is a complete idiot.

Conso

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well if he does land with the Cheatriots I hope he gets a ring (even if the victory to get the ring would be suspect), and at least he didn’t go out like a little you know what (hint: also known as a female dog) like Favre did and go to one of our biggest rivals publicly stating that’s the reason for it.

OP
OP
S

speakhands

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Also, to the cynics saying that Jordy was a product of Aaron (not anyone here):
Jordy has a HIGHER career catch rate (66.5%) than Aaron's passing completion rate (65.3%), despite routinely being the team's deep threat.

On how much better he's been than Davante and Cobb:
Jordy - 9.5 yards per target (66.5% catch rate, 14.3 ypc)
Davante - 7.05 yards per target (59.1 % catch rate, 11.9 ypc)
Cobb - 8.45 yards per target (71% catch rate, 11.9 ypc)

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
at least he didn’t go out like a little you know what (hint: also known as a female dog) like Favre did and go to one of our biggest rivals publicly stating that’s the reason for it.
He hasn't not gone to the Vikings yet...

TosaFan76

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm still sort of new to the forum but I wanted to chime in. For Christmas my nephew got me a football autographed by Jordy. Other than when my parents got me a labrador puppy, that's the most thoughtful gift I've ever rec'd.

You all know the stats better than me, but didn't he lead the league in TD receptions a year ago? And if his production decreased in the past year isn't that due to Rodgers' absence?

Nelson is and was a class act, on and off the field. I just finished answering the question, "What is it that made you a Packers fan?" and I said the sense of community. Jordy was a member of that community but I guess the Packers' management doesn't care. But I care. You can't build a team around community then F the community this way.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And if his production decreased in the past year isn't that due to Rodgers' absence?
What worries me is how stagnant the offense was when he got injured in 2015. Graham should make up for some of that, and I really, really hope Joe Philbin can bring in some spark as well.

elcid

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Am I the only one who honestly couldn't care less about this low ball offer? Clearly, Jordy became expendable. We are cash strapped. We HAVE to upgrade our roster significantly. No time for emotions anymore, this definitely was the way to go. I am pleased that Gute is not scared enough to pull this off knowing how most of the Packer community would react.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There are lots of factors at work here. I'm not playing the Rodgers or Jordy game, because for much of their careers, they helped each other look awesome. Plain and simple. Pin point passing, great hands and concentration, always being where your QB thinks you're going to be and tireless hardwork, day after day after day. These guys were great together. I knew if there was a guy that was going to come back from a season ending injury and light it up, it would be a guy like Jordy and his work ethic. I still think he would have been that 60-80, 800-1200 yds and give or take acouple around 10TD's again this year with Rodgers.

and I don't know if he was hurt last year and nothing was said or what, but he didn't look the same towards the end of the season. I know who his QB was, and that was a big part of his decline in numbers, but at the same time he wasn't breaking tackles and things like he used to. Part of that was Hundley can't get the ball out there as fast as Rodgers, but then you can't pay a guy 12 million bucks who isn't going to regularly turn that 3 yard pass into 10-15 anymore either.

We all knew going into this offseason there was a high likelihood that Nelson, Cobb or both would not be with this team this year. as we got closer to FA, I was leaning more towards letting both actually play out their contracts because I didn't think they'd be doing much in FA this year, but would be bigger players next year. Looks like I nailed that one too LOL but something had to give and I'm not sold on Graham, but he will replace Jordy's TD's. and getting a guy with Mo's ability on the Dline, we just got a bit better. Sucks we had to let a guy like Jordy go, but it happens. If Wilkerson ad Graham signed elsewhere, I'd imagine Jordy would still be on the team. A GM has to be able to make the tough decisions, and he's proven he can do that, now we'll see if it was a good one in time.

If our offense is going to be a bit more simplified and not rely so much on reads during the play, it probably opens up the offense for less experienced, but more talented, younger, fresher type players to be successful and lessens the need for wiley vets like Nelson.

Reaction score
Am I the only one who honestly couldn't care less about this low ball offer? Clearly, Jordy became expendable. We are cash strapped. We HAVE to upgrade our roster significantly. No time for emotions anymore, this definitely was the way to go. I am pleased that Gute is not scared enough to pull this off knowing how most of the Packer community would react.
Business has lost the human relationship factor because of disrespectful departures like this if this contract minimum thing is true. That’s a sad way to start a tenure.
While there is that “it is what it is” attitude mentality about the Jordy move. That’s fine but it works both ways. IMO this sets super-precedent for any questions about the lack of loyalty this FO has for ALL GB players of any stature (including #12) for years of service, community involvement, lockeroom presence, it’s all out the window now.
I’m just contract work.

Last edited:

McKnowledge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
While there is that “it is what it is” attitude mentality about the Jordy move. That’s fine but it works both ways. IMO this sets super-precedent for any questions about the lack of loyalty this FO has for any player of any stature (including #12) for years of service, community involvement, lockeroom presence, work ethic, it’s all out the window.
When I sign for another team at the most in opportune time? it’ll be. “Sorry but it’s a tough business. Good luck you’ll need it”

Its always been out the window. Welcome to the modern NFL. Wake up Wisconsin!!!
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
on a somewhat related note, and this is of course "my friend" told me. and he is really my friend, has been for a long time. But he and his wife are taking a little trip, flew out this morning from GB to MN for a connecting flight and guess who was on their flight to Minneapolis? maybe he just had a connecting flight to KS.

elcid

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Business has lost the human relationship factor because of disrespectful departures like this if this contract minimum thing is true. That’s a sad way to start a tenure.
While there is that “it is what it is” attitude mentality about the Jordy move. That’s fine but it works both ways. IMO this sets super-precedent for any questions about the lack of loyalty this FO has for ALL GB players of any stature (including #12) for years of service, community involvement, lockeroom presence, it’s all out the window now.
I’m just contract work.
I understand your sentiment. However Im inclined to feel that if Jordy truelly wanted to retire a Packer and want to win the SB, he understands the offer as it is. If the cap was higher and we hadnt as much glaring holes, Im sure the FO wouldnt mind giving him 7M

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I’m not as broken hearted as most of you are about about Jordy being released. At the end of the day Jordy was a NON Factor without Rodgers, and those hammy injuries are starting to hamper him. He could’ve played at that 1.1 mil, and balled out and got a payday the following season who knows?? If anything they should’ve asked Matthews and Cobb to take 3 mil less each for next season, and reduced Jordy to 5 million. I think he would’ve stayed at that price tag.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
probably closer to 80% but yeah that's a drastic cut. but...something's got to give when salaries go up and you're about to make qb1 the highest paid player in the league.

Interesting story I recall from years ago. A lot of the airlines were in trouble one of the major ones was in the process of negotiating new deals with 3 of their major unions (pilots, flight attendants and ground crew) they were saying that they employees had to take less money because times were tough. One of the unions had agreed in principle to a new deal for reduced salaries then news broke that several members of the board of directors got million dollar bonuses. Not sure how it all played out but I know the unions quickly backed out of its agreement.

Its similar to how the NFL may soon be if its not there already. Ask the peons to take pay cuts so the fat cats can rake in the dough.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well if he does land with the Cheatriots I hope he gets a ring (even if the victory to get the ring would be suspect), and at least he didn’t go out like a little you know what (hint: also known as a female dog) like Favre did and go to one of our biggest rivals publicly stating that’s the reason for it.

First of all why would you prefer the Patriots to win the SB over the Packers? Second, why would you automatically assume the victory would be suspect?

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i just made my post, but i found this funny that he was literally on a one of the first flights out of GB this morning to Minneapolis the day after he found out he was cut. coincidence?

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Would be very surprised to see Jordy in Minnesota because I doubt he would get paid much and he would be the 4th or 5th option catching passes there behind Diggs, Theilen, Rudolph and Cook. Minnesota didnt use there 3rd wr at all last year so they could have a need but I would surprised to see that match. Oakland makes more sense because the Raiders want to clear some cap and think they could get Jordy cheaper than Crabtree

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
MN could easily just be a connecting flight, and it's not a surprise that people are calling him in already.

AKCheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This isn’t a charity. Why should Green Bay throw money at a guy they decided to move on from? I WISH they had shown Favre the same courtesy and cut him loose, but Farve still had tremendous value and I honestly don’t think Jordy has much. I hope Jordy DOES sign with Minnesota or some other team we face. This is a competitive sport/business, not the kiddie league where everybody gets a trophy. Jordy Nelson just like Favre, was a football player LONG before he was a Packer and he will TRY to be one going forward. Good luck to him (except) when he plays us... and I truly hope he makes it back to Lambeau as an active player. ..... FROM A FOOTBALL perspective I think it’s good that Green Bay is looking to get younger faster better rather than standing pat or paying tribute money to a guy who has lost a step and virtually disappeared last year.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts