Gutekunst "offered" to let Jordy stay for 90% pay cut to his contract salary

D

Deleted member 6794

The guaranteed money does seems a bit high. They should have skewed it more on performance side.

But he was the 6th best receiver in NFL in 2016 bouncing back after injury. 2017 is not exactly his fault alone. He still had 6 TDs in 5 games for 230 yards whilst AR12 was still playing. Not exactly setting things on fire, but still top draw. Calling him declining over past 3 seasons and a has been did seem a bit over the top through considering he was out for 2015 and played without a QB able to throw the ball most of 2017.

I definitely believe that Nelson is still capable of putting up decent numbers but there's no doubt in my mind $13 million of guaranteed money is too much for a 33-year old receiver.

So just for fun, which WR do you all think will have the best stats coming end of 2018-19 season?

a) Jordy with Raiders
b) Davante with GB
c) Cobb with GB

Make your pick.

Adams, without a doubt.

hallzi43

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bottom line it was a mistake by the front office to not even explore what it would cost to keep Jordy in Green Bay. It was ridiculous to offer him slightly more than 1 million. Who knows he may have played for 3 million and he definitely would of played for 6 million. So likely somewhere in between but we'll never know because the Packers never asked just as they never asked peppers or woodson. Both have been proven to have been mistakes as both future hall of famers were willing to stay for far less money than they had been making. Its just a troubling pattern of poor personnel decisions due to nothing more than a total lack of or unwillingness to communicate with very well respected players and it doesn't make the organization look good. It's a busy but that's bad business

What are you talking about? Woodson and Peppers wanted to go back to their respective teams so they could retire where they started.

The Packers didnt have Jordy in their plans for the offense moving forward. So why would you pay a guy who has no place in not going to have much a part of your offense 3-6M?

Bad business is keeping players a year too long.

D

Deleted member 6794

What are you talking about? Woodson and Peppers wanted to go back to their respective teams so they could retire where they started.

While that might be true with Peppers the Packers released Woodson after the 2012 season without approaching him to restructure his contract.

hallzi43

Cheesehead
Reaction score
While that might be true with Peppers the Packers released Woodson after the 2012 season without approaching him to restructure his contract.

Even still. You have to make the tough decisions on guys over 30. Woodson missed 9 games with a broken collarbone in his last season with the Packers. Better to make that decsision a year too early than a year too late.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
I don’t know if we’re a fan of the same team? Jordy is a team guy and put up excellent numbers in 2016 (and I have no doubt would’ve produced at the same level this year with 12 for all 16.) We we’re lucky to have him for as cheap as he was, and he deserved a better send off. He made Packer football fun to watch and embodied every thing we could’ve hoped for in a wide receiver wearing green and gold. He was the Driver of this era, imho. To discredit him this grossly and absurdly is wrong!
The team has to quit relying on Aaron Rodgers to make everyone around him better. Wouldn't it be great for Rodgers to have a cast of receivers that made HIS life a little easier?

Adams and Graham are a good start to the weapons for AR on offense. But the team still needs another potent WR threat to start on the opposite side of the field to Adams. Jordy Nelson, as much as I love what he represents and what he's done for the Packers, simply is not that guy anymore.

ClaysSecondWife

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't disagree with him being gone, just how it was done. Think we should've just let him walk, don't test the waters and risk jading a guy that gave you damn near a decade of good work (which, clearly, we did). I get this isn't a business that cares about "feelings," but come on.

All of this being said, yeah, someone young and new needs to be lining up across from Adams. I like the speed and ball tracking of James Washington (who doesnt, i guess) though there seems to be concerns with his footwork.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
I don't disagree with him being gone, just how it was done. Think we should've just let him walk, don't test the waters and risk jading a guy that gave you damn near a decade of good work (which, clearly, we did). I get this isn't a business that cares about "feelings," but come on.

All of this being said, yeah, someone young and new needs to be lining up across from Adams. I like the speed and ball tracking of James Washington (who doesnt, i guess) though there seems to be concerns with his footwork.
What could the team have done differently?

hallzi43

Cheesehead
Reaction score

From some of his comments about how it went down, it seems more like the Packers were ready to just outright release him but he wanted to stay so the Packers offer was that we can keep you around, but you aren't in our future plans. Which you can't fault the Packers for not giving a guy 3-6M that they don't plan on being a big part of the offense. And you can't fault Jordy for hitting the market and getting value from someone who thinks he still has it.

ClaysSecondWife

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What could the team have done differently?
Wouldn't have low-balled him and risk insulting him like we did, like other posters have said here... thank him for all of his good years but be honest in that it isn't the right fit any more.

From some of his comments about how it went down, it seems more like the Packers were ready to just outright release him but he wanted to stay so the Packers offer was that we can keep you around, but you aren't in our future plans. Which you can't fault the Packers for not giving a guy 3-6M that they don't plan on being a big part of the offense. And you can't fault Jordy for hitting the market and getting value from someone who thinks he still has it.
NOW..... if this was the case, then I'd be a little more cool with how Gute went abput it. That being said, I think the media reports spun this a lot differently than how it probably played out? Maybe even blew it up larger than it was? At the end of the day, this was the right choice. As a JORDY fan, I just wish it didn't have to be with bad blood.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Wouldn't have low-balled him and risk insulting him like we did, like other posters have said here... thank him for all of his good years but be honest in that it isn't the right fit any more.

NOW..... if this was the case, then I'd be a little more cool with how Gute went abput it. That being said, I think the media reports spun this a lot differently than how it probably played out? Maybe even blew it up larger than it was? At the end of the day, this was the right choice. As a JORDY fan, I just wish it didn't have to be with bad blood.

So you are saying the Packers should not have even made an offer? Then the debate would be they tossed him aside without a chance to even retire a Packer. Similar to the Woodson and Peppers comments. I felt he was worth a bit more than the minimum but then it isn't my money nor my decision or vision.

D

Deleted member 6794

Even still. You have to make the tough decisions on guys over 30. Woodson missed 9 games with a broken collarbone in his last season with the Packers. Better to make that decsision a year too early than a year too late.

Unfortunately the Packers released Woodson three years too early though. It seems it might have been smart to retain Peppers as well.

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Gute said Jordy was released early so he can take advantage of early FA frenzy, which he did. I'm sure Jordy is aware. There really is no insult anywhere except in media.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Gute was right in low-balling Jordy. It was the best way to say thst he wasn"t wanted anymore. Jordy is just too slow. The receiving corp already lacks speed and keeping Jordy around makes the situation worse. Jordy looked like he was running with lead in his shoes last season. The resson why his yardage per catch and targets plummeted with Hundley is that he couldn't separate and Hundley couldn't thread the needle to a covered reveiver like AR can.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score

I don't think a broken collar bone is something you worry about that only a "guy over 30 is going to suffer", really that is the same for most injuries, everyone is susceptible. I would be more concerned with how much a player still has in his tank once he hits a certain age. Is he still physically and mentally in the game? That "age number" is going to differ from player to player. How old was Raji when he begin to look like an old worn out veteran, 29 or 30?

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Unfortunately the Packers released Woodson three years too early though. It seems it might have been smart to retain Peppers as well.
would they have been as productive here though? When Woodson was cut, it seemed time to me. Cost was high, production was going down. He did look different to me on that field the last season here. Clearly he still had more to give. Peppers I didn't think we were getting back, I actually don't even think he wanted to go anywhere else but "home", but that's just a guess on my part. But he clearly benefited playing in Carolina as opposed to whatever GB was trying to do. He definitely produced more in Carolina than he did in GB. He wasn't getting younger, stronger, faster.

hallzi43

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Easy to say that now. Woodson was mulling retirement each season for the Raiders.

And again, Peppers left us for Carolina.

D

Deleted member 6794

would they have been as productive here though? When Woodson was cut, it seemed time to me. Cost was high, production was going down. He did look different to me on that field the last season here. Clearly he still had more to give. Peppers I didn't think we were getting back, I actually don't even think he wanted to go anywhere else but "home", but that's just a guess on my part. But he clearly benefited playing in Carolina as opposed to whatever GB was trying to do. He definitely produced more in Carolina than he did in GB. He wasn't getting younger, stronger, faster.

I'm absolutely convinced Woodson would still have performed at an elite level with the Packers as well. While I tend to agree that it seemed he was overpaid at the time the team released him they could have offered to restructure the deal but according to him that never happened.

You might be right that Peppers wanted to play for Carolina all along but it seemed the Packers weren't even interested in bringing him back.

Easy to say that now. Woodson was mulling retirement each season for the Raiders.

That doesn't change the fact that he played another three productive season in Oakland.

Members online

Latest posts