• No

Votes: 3 33.3%
  • Not Sure

Votes: 1 11.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
D

Deleted member 6794

To be fair to Crosby, any comparison to other kickers needs to consider that the Packers lousy special teams give up a lot of blocked kicks. Maybe his kicks are too low but I would have to think his blocking is to blame most of the time. That said, his leg has declined which is evident in his short kickoffs. I hope Molson is Eberle have what it takes.

That's something that has irked me with Crosby fans for quite some time. You throw out random stuff and act as if it's a fact while there's absolutely no truth to it.

Let's take a look at the numbers of blocked kicks. Crosby has had seven of them kicking at Lambeau while the Packers have blocked four field goal attempts at home since 2007.

If you take those attempts out of consideration Crosby has still a worse field goal percentage at Lambeau than opposing kickers combined over his career.

KiDcUdI

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A lot of Crosby’s struggles last season was the **** going on around him. Bojo just couldn’t hold. He was always late and inconsistent when it came to those duties. Fractions of a second matter. The long snappers were both awful. The protection up front was also really poorly coached and executed. As a kicker I thought Crosby did well given the absolute debacle going on around him at all times.

In kick off is where I take issue. He just doesn’t have the leg. He can’t get it into the end zone or get enough hang time to help our coverage unit get down there to make a play. To make matters worse our coverage unit it awful. I’m hopeful they either found a punter who can kickoff or they fix their coverage unit. I doubt either will happen considering the, idk past decade and a half on special teams.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Crosby over the course if his career had a few seasons where he missed a lot of kicks that brought his average down. He did have long stretches, however, of consecutive successful kicks and had the big clutch kicks that kept him in green and yellow. If you looked at his entire game with clutch kicks counting for a big share if his success, he wouldn't have had such a long career if he hadn't rebounded from poor seasons to redeem himself. That said, I would vote to find a replacement. His leg strength is diminished.

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Eberle to Green Bay

In my mind, no doubt, a Packer's legend, Mason Crosby has been clutch and big time in the biggest games and most memorable in the special moments. However, it looks like age and attrition is calling for Father Time to make a visit.

New ST coach Bisaccia looks to have recruited Eberle from the Raiders.

Its possible more dramatic moves may come for the overhaul of the special teams unit?

Is it time for the organization to move on from Mason Crosby?

What are your thoughts?

I think we're going to have an actual kicking competition this pre-season. If it's close, the Pack may just go with the cheaper guy.

The worry is that a guy who kicks well in August might not fare as well in the cold of December and January...Say what you will about Crosby, but he's been pretty clutch with big kicks in late season. Winds at Lambeau can be tricky for someone who has little to no experience.

That said, a younger, cheaper option (and perhaps one that can kick the ball deep into the endzone on kickoffs) might be too tempting to pass up.

Looking forward to pre-season.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I'm gonna vote for seeing who does best before the season starts.
Good call. Since they didn't cut Crosby and workouts have started, I assume he got his $500K workout bonus and that shifts his dead cap hit to $2.84M.

So with 3 kickers still on the roster, I assume that the Packers will be having a 3 way kicking contest over the next several months. What I think happens, unless Crosby absolutely scheiße the bed, the Packers will cut one of the other guys before Preseason starts and if the race is close between Crosby and the other guy, they go to Crosby and say "we want to keep you, but we can't justify paying you your scheduled $2.9M (with game bonuses), will you take X amount?" If he will, they keep him. Now if one of the 2 new guys really impresses, then Crosby is absolutely gone.

OP
OP
McKnowledge

McKnowledge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think we're going to have an actual kicking competition this pre-season. If it's close, the Pack may just go with the cheaper guy.

The worry is that a guy who kicks well in August might not fare as well in the cold of December and January...Say what you will about Crosby, but he's been pretty clutch with big kicks in late season. Winds at Lambeau can be tricky for someone who has little to no experience.

That said, a younger, cheaper option (and perhaps one that can kick the ball deep into the endzone on kickoffs) might be too tempting to pass up.

Looking forward to pre-season.

I think there should be a competition.

I was a huge Crosby fan up until a few seasons ago, where he had that meltdown in Detroit.

If Crosby proves himself against any challengers then its no longer a discussion...until it is again.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Even Bart Starr had a lot of clunkers. He would go 8-20 for 94 yards and Lombardi would still praise him for his ability to execute the offense. Point is, numbers don't always tell the story about winners.

I believe that Crosby is still the guy that will kick clutch FGs for you in the playoffs. If he misses a few long ones in the regular season I can live with that. What I really don't want is for Aaron Rodgers to have another shot at a Super Bowl, and then a 22yr old kicker chokes on the game winner.

That said, if a hotshot young kicker comes in and wins the FG competition, that would be great.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What I really don't want is for Aaron Rodgers to have another shot at a Super Bowl, and then a 22yr old kicker chokes on the game winner.
For $50Mi/year Rodgers shouldn't let the game come down to FG or lose!!

This offense is designed to move the chains and score, not get sacked on 2nd down, and chuck it 30+ yards downfield for a prayer on 3rd. If he can't guide the offense to a decent lead after 59 minutes the fault shouldn't be laid at the feet of the kicker.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, tell that to your television when it DOES come down to a FG. It happens. It happened in Dallas a few years back in the playoffs. Twice Crosby nailed long FGs, once to send it to OT and the other to win in OT.

While I agree with your statement in principal, it's not reality.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Seemed every divisional game in the playoffs last year was a last 2nd field goal to win, including one by the eventual super bowl champs. These games are close, every point counts. Even when they guide them down to a pretty easy FG early in a game, it's important to make them. as we found out.

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think there should be a competition.

I was a huge Crosby fan up until a few seasons ago, where he had that meltdown in Detroit.

If Crosby proves himself against any challengers then its no longer a discussion...until it is again.

Yes, and there is a new sheriff in town this year...Already a change at punter, likely more changes to follow.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

D

Deleted member 6794

What I think happens, unless Crosby absolutely scheiße the bed, the Packers will cut one of the other guys before Preseason starts and if the race is close between Crosby and the other guy, they go to Crosby and say "we want to keep you, but we can't justify paying you your scheduled $2.9M (with game bonuses), will you take X amount?"

Watch your language, Sir :roflmao:

InGuteWeTrust

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Molson released, so it might be down to Crosby and Eberle.

Not "might"....is down to a competition this summer between Mason and Dominik.

Not uncommon to have two kickers competing in camp. It's always good to push Mason a little bit. Perhaps Dominik will impress Bisaccia enough that he gives Gute the word to send Mason packing. Not probable, but very possible.

Reaction score
Molson released, so it might be down to Crosby and Eberle.

I was looking at both their College stats to be fair. Something I noticed is that Eberle (Utah State) bested Crosby (Colorado) coming out of College by about 5% in FG%
79% vs. 74%
Also Eberle was a perfect 100% on 167/167 extra point attempt in College
Vs
Crosby went 113/121 (93.4%) in College.

Not sure who’s got the longer leg at this point of Masons career?

Poor Eberle.
He went from Las Vegas to
Charlotte N.C. to Houston back to Charlotte to Green Bay.
Get that Kid a helicopter!

Last edited:

InGuteWeTrust

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Anybody would think some don`t like Mason Crosby...:whistling:
I don't think it's not liking Mason personally. Mason is a high quality individual. But he has been a streaky kicker in his career. He can be good on 60 FGs in a row and then miss 10 of 15 FGs. Last season was not the only troubling stretch of his career.

If Dominik Eberle is deemed more consistent in Rich Bisaccia's mind, then I want Mason gone. I will put faith in Rich to choose the best option at kicker for the Packers this season.

I

I asked LT to delete my acct

I don't think it's not liking Mason personally. Mason is a high quality individual. But he has been a streaky kicker in his career. He can be good on 60 FGs in a row and then miss 10 of 15 FGs. Last season was not the only troubling stretch of his career.

If Dominik Eberle is deemed more consistent in Rich Bisaccia's mind, then I want Mason gone. I will put faith in Rich to choose the best option at kicker for the Packers this season.
It was a bit of a private joke sorry. No offence intended at you or anybody really. Just a joke.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I’m all for moving on IF, and it’s a big if, the packers have a better option. If there’s not a better kicker available? Then keep him. Kicker is a really simple position that way.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think Crosby is going anywhere until somebody beats him out. All things equal, he's staying. I think it will have to be clear the other guy is better.

Reaction score
I don't think Crosby is going anywhere until somebody beats him out. All things equal, he's staying. I think it will have to be clear the other guy is better.
Yeah a lot of times they need Camp bodies (such as also with QB) and it’s a cost of doing business to have these guys (K) around for a couple months.
The NFL sample size for Eberle is so small (3 attempts). Makes for a big uphill battle compared to Crosby(456 attempts)

Members online

Latest posts