Votes: 5 55.6%
  • No

Votes: 3 33.3%
  • Not Sure

Votes: 1 11.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Punts are a critical, game changing play for a team to flip the field, whereas kickoffs are now a "formality". Yes, an occasional kickoff return is exciting & can change a game, but those instances are few & far between. Punting can change a game, when an offense is struggling a good/great punt forces the other team to start deep in their own territory, giving team A's defense a chance to make a stop or turnover greatly helping team A's struggling offense.

Kickoffs are a play where you can generally hit the bathroom or go load-up your plate in the kitchen & not miss much/anything.

Punts, however, are a strategic play that can frequently change the flow of a game, IMHO.
Oh I totally agree. I was just making the point that I would guess that there are more injuries on punts than KO's. So if the NFL is changing the rules of KO's under the guise of "making the game safer", I would call it more of a PR move, than really trying to fix things.

All that said, I agree with Voyageur and others though, the head injuries need to stop or be reduced drastically. If the KO is to become just a "ceremonial" thing, then get rid of it all together, because the danger is still there. The only problem is what do you do about onside kicks and how they can totally change a game, as well as add a ton of interest at the end.

pacmaniac

Cheesehead
Reaction score
For the onside kick, they could say that if the ball is first touched inside the 25 yard line, it's an automatic touchback. That will allow onside kicks that are first touched around midfield to still be in play.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As a point of interest, Mason Crosby has sold his home in Green Bay. That tells me that Mason has essentially moved on from the Packers, not the opposite. It tells me he either wants to enjoy retirement, or may be looking for another location to finish his career.

I think there's questions surrounding Tristan Vizcaino, who is the present kicker for the Cowboys, replacing Brett Maher. Despite his glowing percentages, he hasn't been vetted as "the guy" who can be put on the field, and counted on, to get the job done.

If Mason does get the chance, with a warmer climate team, I think he might surprise a lot of people with his results.

Then again, with what his family has gone through with health issues over the last few years, he might just decide to spend time smelling the roses, and enjoying the results of his hard work.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
For the onside kick, they could say that if the ball is first touched inside the 25 yard line, it's an automatic touchback. That will allow onside kicks that are first touched around midfield to still be in play.
Right, but that still does not eliminate the contact and collisions between the players on the field. Unless both sides know what the intention of the KO is going to be.
As a point of interest, Mason Crosby has sold his home in Green Bay. That tells me that Mason has essentially moved on from the Packers, not the opposite. It tells me he either wants to enjoy retirement, or may be looking for another location to finish his career.

I think there's questions surrounding Tristan Vizcaino, who is the present kicker for the Cowboys, replacing Brett Maher. Despite his glowing percentages, he hasn't been vetted as "the guy" who can be put on the field, and counted on, to get the job done.

If Mason does get the chance, with a warmer climate team, I think he might surprise a lot of people with his results.

Then again, with what his family has gone through with health issues over the last few years, he might just decide to spend time smelling the roses, and enjoying the results of his hard work.
I think he will get another opportunity, it will just be a matter of if he wants to hang his cleats up or not. I thought I remember reading that he said he wanted to keep playing. As much as some may think he doesn't still have it, with the new KO rules, I would say that I would rather have him out there kicking a 40+ clutch kick, than many of the starters in the NFL.

Reaction score
and practices and street racing and bending over in the shower to pick up the soap and.....
I got hurt bending down in order to try and rinse our jacuzzi Tub yesterday. I extended my arm to use my hand to hold/brace myself on the edge as I reached down into the tub. Suddenly My hand slipped like it was greased (my wife must’ve used it and it was still wet) and I collapsed a couple feet into the tub. It hurt like crap but I’m alive. Thankfully no one was watching!

I guess I should have the Tub removed. Or maybe never bathe again?

Reaction score
We tried that just a few years ago. I don't care to go back to it.
I think we should error on the side of leaving it like it is. Every rule change sets a precedent for initiating another rule change. I don’t want to be watching sissy ball in 10 years, I pay to watch people get hurt. Should the Boxing Ring be made 6’X6’ so no one can get a good swing? It’s Getting Ridiculous it’ll be no touch tether ball at this rate

Maybe they could use a big bubble suit? If you get touched and it squirts water on you.. that means you’re tackled

How about this. Tell the players they get a 25% paycut to instill security measures to keep them safe. Then Take a vote.

Last edited:

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Kickoffs are a play where you can generally hit the bathroom or go load-up your plate in the kitchen & not miss much/anything.
From the TD, unless going for 2, to the 1st offensive snap after the 2nd commercial break, this is what I'm usually doing. Wife and kids will flip the channel.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
The NFL should think about adopting the XFL's rule for kickoffs.

XFL rule: The kicker lines up at his 30-yard line, with the other 10 members of the kickoff team lining up at the opponent's 35 -- 5 yards away from the returning team. Only the kicker and one returner can move until the ball is fielded. Touchbacks are spotted at the 35-yard line.

NFL rule: Kicking team lines up at its 35-yard line, with eight members of the return team within 15 yards. No double-team blocks allowed. Touchbacks are spotted at the 25-yard line.

The XFL's rule was one of many preserved from the league's 2020 incarnation, and it has continued to hit its goal of maximizing returns and minimizing the incentive for touchbacks while avoiding the high-speed collisions that made the traditional kickoff so dangerous. It takes some getting used to, as 20 players stand still with the ball in the air, but the numbers don't lie: More than 90% of XFL kickoffs have been returned this season, compared to about 40% of NFL kickoffs.

Most XFL teams have blocked these returns like zone running plays, which hasn't led to many long returns. But in Week 5, the St. Louis Battlehawks' Darrius Shepherd reeled off an 80-yard return. The progression followed a similar pattern in Week 5 of the 2020 season, when the Battlehawks used a trick play to record the league's first kickoff return for a touchdown.

The NFL rewrote its kickoff rules in 2018, responding to data that showed the high-speed collisions involved had made concussions five times as likely to happen on kickoffs than on standard offensive or defensive plays. But the rules in essence led to touchbacks being the most likely outcome rather than a return.

If nothing else, the XFL's efforts here demonstrated there are creative ways to preserve the kickoff as a live play while also protecting players from unnecessary risk.
How does the onside kick work for this?

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think we should error on the side of leaving it like it is. Every rule change sets a precedent for initiating another rule change. I don’t want to be watching sissy ball in 10 years, I pay to watch people get hurt.
Some would probably say we're watching sissy ball now. Maybe we should just have the two teams play Madden against each other every Sunday. Wouldn't want them to get Carpel Tunnel though.

lambeaulambo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I got hurt bending down in order to try and rinse our jacuzzi Tub yesterday. I extended my arm to use my hand to hold/brace myself on the edge as I reached down into the tub. Suddenly My hand slipped like it was greased (my wife must’ve used it and it was still wet) and I collapsed a couple feet into the tub. It hurt like crap but I’m alive. Thankfully no one was watching!

Buggy was in your house and thought u needed a push...dont blame the ol lady lol

I

I asked LT to delete my acct

Hope you`re okay ?

D

Deleted member 6794

Oh I totally agree. I was just making the point that I would guess that there are more injuries on punts than KO's. So if the NFL is changing the rules of KO's under the guise of "making the game safer", I would call it more of a PR move, than really trying to fix things.

According to the NFL it's more likely to suffer a concussion on a kickoff than a punt return. Murphy mentioned that while kickoffs only make up 6% of the plays 14% of the concussions happen on it.

Well at the risk of incurring the wrath of some, if we move on from him, I hope he retires as a Packer. He has served us well over the years.

I want Crosby to retire as a Packer as well. He should even make the team's HOF.

I don’t want to be watching sissy ball in 10 years, I pay to watch people get hurt.

Boy oh boy, it seems like you completely ignore scientific data on what happens to a lot of players after their career ends.

How does the onside kick work for this?

After scoring in the fourth quarter, teams have an alternative to kicking off (or attempting an onside kick). Instead, they can run one offensive play from their 25-yard line. If they gain 15 yards or more (essentially converting a fourth-and-15), they can retain possession.

Reaction score
Boy oh boy, it seems like you completely ignore scientific data on what happens to a lot of players after their career ends.
No I just accept that there are going to be risks in this world.
You can talk to Rudolf Clausius or Lazare Carnot or any number of scientists and they will tell you that no matter how hard you fight it, you are heading back to dirt. If we worried half as much about what was going to happen after we turned to dust like we did before we turned to dirt this would be a much better world.
Do you realize that It’s more harmful to lie in bed all day ever day for a straight calendar year than it is to field 75 KR per calendar year. Do you similarly lobby for the Elderly and disabled? Although I’m not sure lying in bed will pay the bills quite like the NFL will.
These guys are well paid stuntmen in a feature show. Have you been actively looking out for stuntmen with the same vigor? Why not?? Are people only important if they make the NFL roster?

See. Compassion is always a tricky thing, but most people that hide behind it by beating their chest and tearing their clothes and wearing sackcloth and using a bullhorn? I find they are routinely the least compassionate people of all from my experience.

Last edited:

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Im doing fine thanks Buggs. Just a little shook up. I must be getting old!:roflmao:
Injuries, at our age, isn't something we take for granted like we did when we were young. A month ago, my Wife took a tumble because this contractor we had working on our kitchen moved the landing to our back door, so he could take our washer and dryer outside, while he painted the laundry room. Since he didn't finish that first day, he covered them up and left them under our car port. Then he moved the landing part way back, but not all the way back, to the door.

When I told him what happened, he just shrugged, and acted like that's no skin off his nose. When I told him he should be concerned about it, he shrugged again, so, I fired him, and told him that he'd be paying for her doctor bills, and inconvenience. I'd be taking it out of the $1,750 in labor he'd already rung up for the work he was doing.

Reaction score
Injuries, at our age, isn't something we take for granted like we did when we were young. A month ago, my Wife took a tumble because this contractor we had working on our kitchen moved the landing to our back door, so he could take our washer and dryer outside, while he painted the laundry room. Since he didn't finish that first day, he covered them up and left them under our car port. Then he moved the landing part way back, but not all the way back, to the door.

When I told him what happened, he just shrugged, and acted like that's no skin off his nose. When I told him he should be concerned about it, he shrugged again, so, I fired him, and told him that he'd be paying for her doctor bills, and inconvenience. I'd be taking it out of the $1,750 in labor he'd already rung up for the work he was doing.
First of all I’m Sorry to hear this. hope she’s ok?
If he’s a Worker and he Doesn’t care about your Wife’s Safety or her health he’s probably not worth his salt.
If I were you, I’d put that old Kicker Shoe on and give him the Boot. Literally!

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Well at the risk of incurring the wrath of some, if we move on from him, I hope he retires as a Packer. He has served us well over the years.
I think it is a given that Mason will retire "as a Packer". Even if he plays for another 1-3 seasons for another team. So far, his entire career has been with the team that drafted him, he's a Packer for life.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think it is a given that Mason will retire "as a Packer". Even if he plays for another 1-3 seasons for another team. So far, his entire career has been with the team that drafted him, he's a Packer for life.
I hope so, but if he's sold his house in Green Bay, it's possible he might be interested in playing elsewhere.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Mason Crosby is a Packer, no matter what happens next. It's a thing that isn't duplicated anywhere.

Many years ago, when we lived in New Braunfels, TX, just North of San Antonio, my wife went to work for a family that owned a company called Packer Supply, located in New Braunfels. They used green and gold as their business colors. The guy who owned it, was named Ed Smith. Ed had only played with the Packers in 1948 & 1949, and then one year after that with the NY Bulldogs, when an injury ended his career. Primarily a blocking back, he enjoyed going back to Green Bay, as an alumni, every time there was an event, or an invitation to do so. He was, as he said, "A Packer for life."

After Ed died, his Son Richard took over the business, and eventually renamed the company, New Braunfels Welders Supply, for name recognition.

Ed was typical of so many of the Packer alumni, Even if they didn't play their whole career in GB. It's something that gets in your blood, and you're forever intertwined with the history of the organization.

I got to know Ed pretty well. I don't think there was ever a time that I saw him that he didn't start a conversation about football. It was kind of "special moments." It was always time to talk Packers.

One day, he opened a can of beer and said; "They don't get it. Yeah! Everyone is a football fan around here. But none of them understand what it means to be part of the Packer family, and they never will. There's nothing like it anywhere else in football."

I think Ed summed it up very nicely.

May he rest in peace. He died quite a few years ago. A Packer to the end.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I hope so, but if he's sold his house in Green Bay, it's possible he might be interested in playing elsewhere.
I don't doubt that he will play again, for another team. He showed last year that he still is pretty clutch. The new kickoff rule somewhat erases the concern of him not being able to consistently kick it into the EZ. Teams are always looking for K's. Mason will get another shot, if he wants it.

Reaction score
As a Kicker, He’s probably got 2-3 more seasons left in him if he wants to break some more records. He’s very close to going top 5 points leader in NFL history. He’d have a 50% chance of going top #6 ~#7 this season. He’d past John Carney at #5 in 2024 and Jason Hanson #4 if he plays through just 2025. It’s a shame he couldn’t do it on 1 team.

By the 2025 season, Crosby would’ve been the #1 highest scoring player in NFL history to play for just 1 team (currently Jason Hanson holds that distinguished honor). Personally I would’ve offered him a 3 year Veteran minimum with 250K at 85%; 250K Postseason bonus, 500K To beat Jason Hanson; 1 year guaranteed. :tup:

Last edited:

Members online

Latest posts