GM Ted Thompson Signed To New Contract

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So now you are finally ready to give him some man-love cheesey?
Yes Bertram! :lol:
Heck, i gave the guy a chance, and he has proved to me at least that i did the right thing!
I think some wanted to get rid of him, cause he's not a charismatic guy. He's pretty stoic.(sp?) But heck, if a guy is a "rah rah" guy and can't do the job, what good is he? He has shown to be pretty smart so far. Will he get 100% of his picks right? No. But then again NO GM does. Not even Ron Wolf did.

Fuzznuts

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No.

Actually TT's done a pretty good job.

What surprised me the most was the WR Corps. They really panned out. Especially Jennings.

The O-Line has gotten better, as has the defense. But..it's still not a top 5 defense, as some were saying it would be...

But still in all, they're pretty good...except at safety...and I would like to see a little bit more veteran depth among the DB's...

My biggest knock on TT is how he uses (or doesn't use) free agency...
(But maybe things will change this year).

I have to confess. I did think that TT was trying to drive Favre out of town in the beginning in favor of Rodgers, but now I don't think so.

I would like to see Brett play out his contract, if he still has the skillz...

(That does create a dilemma for Rodgers, but there are worse things then sitting on the bench becoming a millionaire, i guess...and it's only a couple of more years before he takes over a playoff caliber team. If Steve Young could wait...then so could Rodgers...and young was a heckuva lot older than Rodgers was at the time!)

So...I would say yeah, TT earned his contract.

But I have to say that also, Brett Favre had a hand in making TT look good (and vice-versa) just like he did with Mike Sherman. If Favre would have retired a year or two ago, we could be looking at a whole different team and situation right now!

Fuzznuts

Cheesehead
Reaction score
2010 is a lifetime...or are you just hoping?

Not sure what you mean by this...

Gattocheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Green_Bay_Packers said:
ugh, 4 more years of seasons like this.

Is that not a good thing? 4 superbowls in 4 years

I want what your smoking.

I admit that we are one of/or the best NFC teams this year. But i am gonna say something that might get me flamed. The AFC is way to overpowered for the NFC. This year it did balance out a little bit more with the falling of the Chargers and Pittsburgh, but still, i dont think the Packers could hold up on any accounts to a healthy Colts or Patriots team. Maybe in another year, possibly 2 years - we would have the experience.

By any accounts this year has been a huge suprise on me. I picked us to go 6-10. Now we made 13-3 and a first round bye and still from what i can tell from a lot of the media, we are still the underdogs going into Saturdays game.

TT has done a decent job so far. I still believe we might need some Free Agents to help us push to the next level.

Fuzznuts

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Really?

The Eagles, Ravens, and Giants smacked around the Patriots pretty good!

Two teams that the Packers beat!

New England was lucky to win those games...they can be beaten.

Don't believe the hype!

Gattocheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Really?

The Eagles, Ravens, and Giants smacked around the Patriots pretty good!

Two teams that the Packers beat!

New England was lucky to win those games...they can be beaten.

Don't believe the hype!

Well nothing against those teams, but that was their Super Bowl. The Eagles and Ravens had no chance of going to the playoffs and the Giants played all their starters so they could try and beat the Patriots out of their perfect season. The Giants were considered by many to be a lost cause in the playoffs.

Our most weakest spot is our passing defense. Even though we have the best tandum corners in the league, we could easily get shreaded by teams such as the Colts, Pats IMO.

If we somehow do win the SB against either of those teams this year, than it would be a great moment because Green Bay beat my expectations.

Fuzznuts

Cheesehead
Reaction score
To beat the Patriots you have to smack Tom Brady around a little and smack Randy Moss alot.

Also, their LB'ers are old and slow and you can pass in the middle on them all day long.

They can be beaten.

As a matter of fact. I'm going to predict that they don't even make it to the SB....

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
To beat the Patriots you have to smack Tom Brady around a little and smack Randy Moss alot.

Also, their LB'ers are old and slow and you can pass in the middle on them all day long.

They can be beaten.

As a matter of fact. I'm going to predict that they don't even make it to the SB....

Fuzznuts - I won't go as far as saying they won't make it to the SB, but I agree they can be beaten, and you hit the nail on the head on how to beat them.

Tom Brady does not like pressure on him. He's not like Brett Favre where you get pressure on him and he avoids it and still completes the pass. Brady relies heavily on OL support. When the OL collapses, he gets nervous.

Moss can be disrupted. The thing is, if Moss is taken out, Welker steps up his game. Welker has been the Pats' secret weapon all year. So much concentration on Moss and Welker secretly gets 100+ yards and a TD or 2.

Do we have a team that can beat the Pats? Yes. Will we? Remains to be seen.

I think if any team in the NFL matches well against the Pats, it's us. We have a more complete team. Our Special Teams are excellent. Our D is top 10 (I think #6 for PA) and our O is top 5 if I'm not mistaken. We may be able to keep up in a shootout, we have the front 4 (DL) which can generate pressure, we have the Coach who can find weaknesses in any team, and a team that can throw to any part of the field and cause damage, as well as a solid rushing attack. You mentioned their slow LBs. Once Grant gets past their DL, he'll wreck havoc.

But first, we have to get past Seattle and the Cows/Giants. We should beat Seattle easily. We'll beat the Giants by a TD or more. The Cows, I'm worried about. If we lose to the Cows, the Pats will shred the Cows. Ironically, although the Cows are a better team than we are, we match up better against the Pats.

Green_Bay_Packers

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Green_Bay_Packers said:
tromadz said:
ugh, 4 more years of seasons like this.

Is that not a good thing? 4 superbowls in 4 years

I want what your smoking.

I admit that we are one of/or the best NFC teams this year. But i am gonna say something that might get me flamed. The AFC is way to overpowered for the NFC. This year it did balance out a little bit more with the falling of the Chargers and Pittsburgh, but still, i dont think the Packers could hold up on any accounts to a healthy Colts or Patriots team. Maybe in another year, possibly 2 years - we would have the experience.

By any accounts this year has been a huge suprise on me. I picked us to go 6-10. Now we made 13-3 and a first round bye and still from what i can tell from a lot of the media, we are still the underdogs going into Saturdays game.

TT has done a decent job so far. I still believe we might need some Free Agents to help us push to the next level.

I don't smoke

MassPackersFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Patriots are beatable, and I think we match up well against them. I'd put Harris on Moss and have him punch him in the mouth all game. Then I would line up Woodson on Welker and watch those two go at it with their speed and smarts. There aren't many teams with two #1 corners, and the Pats have thrived because of that this year.
I do wish we had our DT's (Jolly, Cole) healthy though. It would help if we could continually abuse their interior O-line.

packedhouse01

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A year or so ago, I began questioning Ted. I also felt that you can't judge a guy on two drafts, but you can on three. Although he has missed on quite a few guys, he's hit on a few too. I just don't think it's possible to hit on every draft pick. What I think Ted has is the ability to pick "character" guys who can be turned into good players. I think his best asset to this point is his hire of Mike McCarthy. That looks purely brilliant at this time. Mike and his coaches have done an amazing job of coaching players up. I'm still not completely sold on his draft choices because I think he let some players on the board who were better than we took. As an example, I think he could have gotten Harrel in the second and maybe even in the third round. Our second round pick too would have probably been available a round or two later. But you know, if these guys can play and they can win, I'm a Ted man.

KGB94SACKEM

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sherman was also resigned to. We made the playoffs with MS as well, it's what we do in them that matters. Give me a SB victory and I will sing his praises. Right now we are in a position to deliver, let's get it done

Members online

Latest posts