1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!

Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

GM Ted Thompson Signed To New Contract

Discussion in 'Packer Fan Forum' started by IronMan, Jan 7, 2008.

1. IronMan

IronMan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +8
    http://packers.com/news/releases/2008/01/07/2/

The Green Bay Packers have signed Ted Thompson, the team's Executive Vice President, General Manager and Director of Football Operations, to a new, five-year contract which runs through the 2012 season, team Chairman Bob Harlan announced Monday.

Thompson, currently in his third year as the leader of the team's football operations, has built the Packers into one of the NFL's strongest young teams, with this year's squad tying a team record for victories with a 13-3 mark en route to the NFC North Division Championship and a first-round bye in the playoffs.

"We are very pleased with the way Ted Thompson has led the football operations of this organization," Harlan said. "He is doing exactly what we anticipated when we hired him. He crafted his trade under Ron Wolf, built a strong football team in Seattle and has built a team here in Green Bay that is back in the playoffs. He has a great system of building the team through the draft and has the Packers positioned very well for the future."

"This is a great organization and I am deeply humbled and appreciative," said Thompson. "This is truly a team effort. Green Bay is a special place and I am honored to work with such a great group of people."

Since taking over general manager duties in 2005, Thompson has strengthened the team's foundation. Of the 53 active roster players for Saturday's Divisional Playoff game against Seattle, 40 have been acquired by Thompson.

The 54-year-old Thompson is a native of Atlanta, Texas. He was a three-year starter at Southern Methodist University and enjoyed a 10-year playing career with the Houston Oilers (1975-84). Thompson previously served an eight-year tenure with the Packers personnel department (1992-99) and five seasons in Seattle (2000-04) as the team's vice president of football operations before re-joining the Packers in 2005.

2. Pack93z

Pack93z You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime

Ratings:
    +22
    Interesting.. I thought Murphy took over... must be a last task for Harlan before closing the books.

3. tromadz

tromadz Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    ugh, 4 more years of seasons like this.

4. Bertram

Bertram Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1
    lol a blow to depack and pyle and those who thought TT would be gone when his contract was due, looks like they have been living in their own little dreamworld.

5. IronMan

IronMan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +8
    I was one of Ted's biggest critics. And to say he has proved me wrong is the understatement of the century.

6. Bobby Roberts

Bobby Roberts Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Murphy is set to take over, but this was Harlan's last big priority to get done before stepping down.

I for one was also in the critical category of TT and while I don't agree with many of his decisions, it's obvious that he's earned the contract. Congrats Ted and here's to hoping GB can continue to be an elite team for a long time.

GO PACK GO!!!

7. Zombieslayer

Zombieslayer Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Me too.

The cool thing is, I'm GLAD he proved me wrong. I just want the Packers to win.

8. yooperfan

yooperfan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Good for Ted!
    Good for the Packers!
    Good for Bob Harlan!
    I just started reading Harlans book "Green and Gold Moments", I can hardly wait to read about the end of the Sherman years and the beginning of the Ted Thompson years.
    Keep on building this dynasty Ted!

9. pack_in_black

pack_in_black Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    PACKER fans say it with me...

WHHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!

Let's keep enjoying the ride for at least 4 more years!!!

10. Greg C.

Greg C. Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Great news. Thompson's done an excellent job. It's all about evaluating talent better than the competition, and he seems to be doing that.

I forget exactly when Mark Murphy takes over as president, but I'm sure he fully supports the decision.

Next step: A contract extension for Mike McCarthy. I think it will get done shortly after the season ends, which I'm hoping will be in February.

P.S. I wonder what they'll have to say about Thompson's new contract at firepackersgm.com? Oh, I forgot, that web site became a ghost town a few months ago.

11. Pack93z

Ratings:
    +22
    According to his bio on Packers.com..

Mark Murphy, possessor of extensive experience in professional football and sports administration, joined the Green Bay Packers as the organization's President and CEO-elect Jan. 1, 2008.

I like the move of locking Ted up.. just was surprised to see the announcement come from Harlan and not Murphy. That is all.

12. Packnic

Packnic Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +6
    TT sucks.

13. Raider Pride

Raider Pride Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2
    Good Move By Bob.

Now one more before you leave office Bob.... Get the city to change Mike Holmgren Way to Brett Farve Ave. And do it before the Seattle Team Bus makes it way to the stadium.

14. DakotaT

DakotaT Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    I'm curious to see what TT does in the off season. He doesn't need to trade back for extra picks, or so it would seem. I wonder if we will see a different strategy on draft weekend this year.

15. Zombieslayer

Zombieslayer Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    I highly doubt we will be pure BPA, now that the rebuilding phase is over.

16. Greg C.

Greg C. Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Here's an interesting quote from Bob Harlan in the Press Gazette article:

“Then I watched him (Thompson) when he went to Seattle and watched how he built a team there that went to the Super Bowl. Mike Holmgren admitted to me, he said, ‘I coach the guys and get the credit, but Ted is the one who picked most of the players for us.’ He’s using a system that I was comfortable with when I hired him, and I knew what he would do.”

17. tromadz

tromadz Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    that pretty much puts an end to that nonsense.

ted is good.

end of story.

go packers.

18. Fuzznuts

Fuzznuts Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1
    Depends on if Rodgers pans out or not....

meh..

19. Pack93z

Ratings:
    +22
    One draft pick should not make or break his career, but to that end neither should one season. However all the signs point to this not being a fluke season.. the future seems bright!

20. tromadz

tromadz Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    but brett looks good enough to play through TTs whole contract at this point.

also, if we win the superbowl and A-rod is a bust...is that a failure?

21. Raider Pride

Raider Pride Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2
    AADP Do not pick on Fuznuts.

Please.

R.P.

22. Tiger

Tiger Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Lol all it will take is 1 or 2 losses next year for the FIRE TT brigade to re-arm :D But yah he definitely deserves the contract extenstion, hes been doing great stuff.

23. all about da packers

all about da packers Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    If you are interested in the financial terms of the deal:

Courtesy JSOnline

24. Green_Bay_Packers

Green_Bay_Packers Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +113
    Is that not a good thing? 4 superbowls in 4 years

25. cheesey

cheesey Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    I always was saying, give the guy a chance before we say he's good or bad. There were alot of people that didn't want to do that.
    I was right in the middle, not "loving" or "hating" him. I just wanted some evidence BEFORE i made up my mind either way. Heck, if i was in that position, i'd want people to give me a chance to prove myself before bringing down their verdict. So i thought it was only fair to let him show what he could do.
    So far, he hasn't dissapointed me at all.
    He sure is no "Matt Millen!"