1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!

Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Free Agent signings

Discussion in 'Packer Fan Forum' started by paxvogel, Mar 13, 2006.

1. paxvogel

paxvogel Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Ravens sign Mike Anderson RB
    Cards sign Edgerrin James
    Eagles sign Howard DE from N.O.
    Redskins sign Randle El, Chris Fauria TE, and reportedly Archuletta
    Dolphins sign LB Hodge and CB Gordon
    Vikes sign Chester Taylor RB, G Steve Hutchison, Longwell
    Browns sign C Bentley and WR Jurevious

My opinion - Vikings much better and three top players, James will struggle with Warner at QB, Redskins did well, I like Anderson and he will help especially if they keep Jamal.

All these signings make sense to me. I wish we would have tried harder for Hutchison but he reportedly got left tackle type money. If we had resigned Wahle we wouldn't have had to worry.

2. P@ck66

P@ck66 Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +0
    hmmmm..

Edgerrin James to the Cardinals??
    that ought to be interesting....

so should Randle El to the Redskins..
    (they're going to be dangerous this year...)

the Pack should have signed Randle El...

3. Chamuko

Chamuko Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    The Pack should have signed at least Longwell !!!

4. digsthepack

digsthepack Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Longwell wanted out.....to a dome or somewhere warm to pad his stats. He, to me at least, did not make any secret of his desire to be somewhere else.

5. HatestheEagles084

HatestheEagles084 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1
    this one bugged me

our recieving core is Walker, Driver, Ferguson, Murphy

Walker doesn't want to play for us, Robert Ferguson... :cry: , Murphy is off of a neck injury, Chatman gone, no one knows what Rod Gardner will do...there aren't many free agent wide outs out there, and the draft class isnt that deep this year...

6. DePack

DePack Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1
    Do the Seahawks plan on matching the contract for Hutchison?

7. 4packgirl

4packgirl Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    from what i heard on espn, the cardinals were willing to pay top dollar for edgerrin james - seems they just need to get some butts in the seats & are banking on his "celebrity" to do it for them.

8. TOPackerFan

TOPackerFan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    The Queens' offer sheet for Hutch was 7 years and $49 million. This is more than worth it IMO. We should take a run at him if this is all going rate for a player of that calibre is.

9. LambeauLeaper

LambeauLeaper Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    What a lot of people don't realize is that the Cardinals had the #1 passing offense last year...and that was with absolutely no running game (they had 0 games of 100 yds TEAM rushing until the last game of the season vs. the Colts backups). Some would argue that they had so many passing yards because they HAD to...but, you still have to give credit because every team knew they couldn't run the ball, and that the key was to stop Boldin/Fitzgerald - and no one really could (they were both posting 100yd games for much of the 2nd half).

The Cardinals O-line is their biggest problem right now, but they did sign a guard and they did deal with a lot of injuries on the o-line last year (at one point were on their 5th center). If they draft a guy like TE Vernon Davis...it could be one scary offense. Oh yeah, and their defense was #8..also with several key injuries (Antrel Rolle, Bert Barry, Gerald Hayes, etc.). They plug some holes on the o-line and a couple on D...I don't know..could be a decent team.

10. gopackgo4

gopackgo4 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    hmph sounds pretty good. but its still hard to imagine a good cardinal team

11. tromadz

tromadz Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    except Favre likes big WRs, and the coaching staff likes big WRs...but yeah, since you want him, we should have picked him up.

(sorry, I couldnt resist)

12. HatestheEagles084

Ratings:
    +1
    would've loved Joe Jurevicius...Brian Finneran is still out there, pretty much a poor man's Jurevicius, but should come cheaper

Randy Hymes is 6'3, did good in certain situations for Baltimore
    Jabar Gaffney is pretty solid, and has something to prove after playing 4 seasons in Houston, where his QB never had time to throw to him

Micheal Lewis and Eddie Drummond are good bench WR options because we (also) don't have a return man, unless that will be filled by Murphy

13. Chamuko

Chamuko Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Anyone out there for the minimum??? If so please tell TT about him !!!

14. HatestheEagles084

Ratings:
    +1
    not so sure, but thats about all that's out there at receiver, and Rod Gardner...and its a bad year to need Recievers and we're probably not gonna see Javon here--

15. Buckeyepackfan

Buckeyepackfan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Just heard that Cory Bradford signed with Detroit.
    Cory was a young talent when in Green bay, but we were loaded at WR when he was here, went to Houston and developed into a pretty good receiver. I guess he wasn't big enough or cheap enough for TT to take a look at.
    I don't expect us to sign every available player but iit would be nice to know that we were at least taking a look at some.
    Receiver has all of a sudden become a big need for us and everyone knows from the past a player needs 2-3 yrs in the system to understand how the WC offense works. Rookies don't work.

16. Greg C.

Greg C. Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Cory Bradford has developed into a pretty good receiver? That's news to me. I don't think he even started.