Stacking Up the NFC North

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Growing up primarily a Chargers fan, I used to do this for the AFC West every year. Now they are dead to me forever, so I'm turning my full attention to the Packers and the NFC North. With the draft complete, teams have made all of the important additions and subtractions that we can expect at this point. So with no more ado, let's take this by position group and fire up the discussion.

Quarterback: While some of these positions are pretty mirky, quarterback is cut and dry. Rodgers is #1 with a bullet. After a significant drop down, Stafford stands head and shoulders above the others. Bradford, for his faults, is still easily a better option than Glennon and a rookie, who bring up the rear. The Bears likely have the best backup in the divsion, but I don't give much weight to backups at this position.
  1. Packers
  2. Lions
  3. Vikings
  4. Bears

Running Back:
Overall, this is a weak position in the NFCN. The emergence of Jordan Howard gives the Bears an easy edge at the top. He looked like the best back of the four teams by a pretty decent margin last year. Carey and Langford aren't anything special, but they're competent backups. And while I laughed at the Tarik Cohen pick, it's possible he brings a new dimension. I gave the #2 spot to the Lions because of Theo Rid****. While not a traditional back, he's a fantastic receiver and actually showed more as a runner in 2016. Ameer Abdullah is a talented backup. The Packers will hopefully climb close to the top of this list as Montgomery develops at the position and the rookies have the chance to prove their worth, but I'm not going to assume that happens and slot them any higher. I'm sure some will disagree with putting the Vikings last, but I really don't like their additions. Latavius Murray has no vision and is about to get a reality check behind a horrible offensive line after playing with a great one. Dalvin Cook was one of the most overrated prospects in this class in my opinion. He has some skills, but his shoulders are fragile, he has a fumbling problem, and he's a poor athlete.
  1. Bears
  2. Lions
  3. Packers
  4. Vikings

Wide Receiver:
Another easy position, I think it's tough to argue that the Packers don't have this one sewn up. Nelson is still close to the top of his game, making him the class of the division. Adams has emerged as a great #2, and while injuries have robbed Cobb of some of his ability, he still has some big moments. Behind those three are four young guys, some of whom have high end athletic potential. While less proven than the corps in Green Bay, Minnesota boasts some nice talent on the outside. Diggs has emerged as a consistent option for Bradford, and Thielen surprised with his consistency. Treadwell did nothing as a rookie, but there is still potential there and teams could do a lot worse than Jarius Wright as a #4. The Lions lack a guy that you would look at as a #1, but they have two quality targets in Tate and Jones. While there really is nothing proven behind them at this point, that still puts them in a better positon than the Bears who, aside from aging and/or disappointing vets like Royal, Wheaton, and Randle, have to rely on nothing but the hope that White and Meredith will emerge as reliable options.
  1. Packers
  2. Vikings
  3. Lions
  4. Bears

Tight End: Due to offseason acquisitions, the Packers climb to the top of this list. Bennett and Rudolph are really the only two candidates to be considered the best in-division. And the Vikings lack a TE2 of Kendricks' quality. I've never been a fan of Richard Rodgers, but as your 3rd TE it's hard to do much better (though he might get beaten out by the more talented Beau Sandland). The Vikings do have a quality player in Rudolph, and I like the potential of Bucky Hodges as a receiver and Morgan as a blocker. The Bears at #3 might seem surprising, but Zach Miller and Eric Ebron are really not much different in quality. Behind him, I view the combination of Sims and Shaheen as a better combination than Roberts and Fells.
  1. Packers
  2. Vikings
  3. Bears
  4. Lions

Offensive Line: Lang's departure shakes this up a little but, but I still think the Packers have a firm hold of the top spot. Their starters at 4/5 spots are anywhere from solid to elite, and Evans was still a high end pass protector at guard last year despite his age. The Lions have gotten some nice play out of Decker, and made two big additions in Lang and Wagner to get to #2 on this list. I don't love the Bears' options at either tackle spot, but Sitton, Whitehair, and Long as a nice interior trio. And lastly, you have the Vikings, who are still a mess. Reiff was an OK RT in Detroit who is now playing the left side for Minnesota. Mike Remmers is fine, but can be a liability in protection at right tackle. The RG spot looks to be a mess.
  1. Packers
  2. Lions
  3. Bears
  4. Vikings

Interior Defensive Line:
This take is bound to be somewhat controversial, but it has as much to do with the weakness of the other teams as it does the strength of the Packers. Mike Daniels is probably the best iDL in the division. Kenny Clark and Dean Lowry came on down the stretch last season. RJF is a quality rotational lineman, and Adams has some potential in rotation. Guion can be kept as a competent veteran if need be. The Vikings have a great player in Linval Joseph, but with Floyd perhaps being done the rest of their unit is comprised of Tom Johnson, Shamar Stephen, and 4th round rookie Jaleel Johnson. The Bears will move up for me if they sign Jaye Howard, but at the moment they don't really have a quality starter aside from Hicks. There is plenty of room for Goldman and Bullard to change that, but it hasn't happened yet. And lastly, you have Detroit who starts an aging Haloti Ngata and an unproven A'Shawn Robinson, while their top backups are Akeem Spence and Packers' draft bust Khyri Thornton.
  1. Packers
  2. Vikings
  3. Bears
  4. Lions

Edge Rusher:
The Vikings have this one on lockdown with quality starters in Griffen and Hunter, and Robison still being productive. Datone Jones may end up being a nice option in a 4-3 under Zimmer. The trio of solid players in Chicago, McPhee, Floyd, and Young, are enough for me to give the 2nd spot to the Bears. The Packers have perhaps the best edge rusher in the division (when he's healthy) in Nick Perry, but behind him is the increasingly unreliable Clay Matthews and a couple of young players who have yet to prove much of anything. Detroit isn't much different with Ansah and Hyder corresponding to Perry and Matthews, but with the exception that they have much less potential as you move down the depth chart.
  1. Vikings
  2. Bears
  3. Packers
  4. Lions

Off-Ball Linebacker: While Barr's trajectory has been more uneven than you'd expect from a guy who started off his career so well, he's still a talented and versatile option. Kendricks is also quality. Chicago has two nice options in Trevathan and Freeman, but there is very little around them that impresses me. In Green Bay, I like what I've seen from Ryan and Martinez in their 2nd and 1st years respecitvely. Thomas is an OK backup at WILL, but depth at MIKE still needs to be addressed. The Lions are hoping that Jarrad Davis improves what is currently a pretty pathetic group.
  1. Vikings
  2. Bears
  3. Packers
  4. Lions

Cornerback:
I'm getting ready for a fight over this one. Minnesota is obviously the class of the division, with Rhodes, Newman, Waynes, and Alexander. After them, I rated Packers #2 for the following reasons. They added Davon House, who was capable in this defense before leaving. They added a freakishly talented rookie in Kevin King. Their 2015 draft picks, Randall and Rollins, were good as rookies but injured in 2015. With all of that going on, I give them the edge over the Lions who have a great option in Darius Slay but really not much around him in terms of proven talent or high end potential (this likely has a lot to do with my low opinion of **** Tabor). The Bears bring up the rear with the solid but oft injured Amukamara playing across from the disappointing Kyle Fuller. The rest of the depth chart is fairly paltry.
  1. Vikings
  2. Packers
  3. Lions
  4. Bears

Safety: Cinton-Dix has developed into a very strong starter across from the steady, consistent presence of Burnett. There is also potential behind him in Kentrell Brice and rookie Josh Jones. The Vikings, while lacking the quality in both spots that the Packers boast, have one of the best safeties in the entire league in Harrison Smith. The Bears aren't anything special at safety, but Demps and Amos as both solid. Lastly, the Lions are fielding an aging Glover Quin and not much else.
  1. Packers
  2. Vikings
  3. Bears
  4. Lions

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Very good post.

1) I expect Ty to bring us to the 2nd or even the top of the RB table.

2) Disagree on Inside D-Line/CBs. We averaged the most yards against in the North and maybe Top 4 or 5 in the whole conference. The stats mean we do not stack up that high in those areas.

Ogsponge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I take it you consider the bears to have the worst cornerbacks in the NFL, the Lions the 2nd worst and the Packers the 3rd worst? That is about the only way I can make sense of your cornerback thoughts as the addition of house and king does not improve that position all that much for the absolute worst in the NFL

Mavster

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The NFCN is just so bad when you exclude the Packers.

• Detroit is up and down, up and down. But overall not that good.
  • Minnesota can't score any points
  • And then you have the Bears who are essentially rebuilding

The Pack shouldn't have much trouble with any of them really. Some close games sure, but we have Rodgers and they don't lol

OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I take it you consider the bears to have the worst cornerbacks in the NFL, the Lions the 2nd worst and the Packers the 3rd worst? That is about the only way I can make sense of your cornerback thoughts as the addition of house and king does not improve that position all that much for the absolute worst in the NFL

I consider the Packers' unit, healthy and with additions, to be better than the Bears' or Lions', yes. Of course GB's cornerbacks are not in the top half of the league overall, but in this division there happen to be two teams which, in my opinion, are really talent poor at corner even compared to the Packers. And of course, we aren't still talking about the same group as a year ago.

If someone favors the Bears because they feel like the duo of Amukamara and Fuller are a more proven option, that's fine. Personally, I'll take the Packers' potential.

OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
The NFCN is just so bad when you exclude the Packers.

• Detroit is up and down, up and down. But overall not that good.
  • Minnesota can't score any points
  • And then you have the Bears who are essentially rebuilding

The Pack shouldn't have much trouble with any of them really. Some close games sure, but we have Rodgers and they don't lol

I think there are a lot of parallels between the NFCN and the NFCW, AFCE, and AFCN in that there is a clear elite in each division, a burgeoning PO contender, a team mired in mediocrity, and then an abject distaster.

1. Packers, Seahawks, Steelers, Patriots
2. Vikings, Cardinals, Ravens, Dolphins
3. Lions, Rams, Bengals, Bills
4. Bears, 49ers, Browns, Jets

Not perfect across the board, but pretty darn similar .

OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Very good post.

1) I expect Ty to bring us to the 2nd or even the top of the RB table.

2) Disagree on Inside D-Line/CBs. We averaged the most yards against in the North and maybe Top 4 or 5 in the whole conference. The stats mean we do not stack up that high in those areas.

So heading into 2017, if you had to pick between:

Mike Daniels, Kenny Clark, Ricky Jean-Francois, Dean Lowry, Montravious Adams, and Christian Ringo

And

Linval Joseph, Tom Johnson, Shamar Stephen, Jaleel Johnson, and Toby Johnson

Which one are you choosing?

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think there are a lot of parallels between the NFCN and the NFCW, AFCE, and AFCN in that there is a clear elite in each division, a burgeoning PO contender, a team mired in mediocrity, and then an abject distaster.

1. Packers, Seahawks, Steelers, Patriots
2. Vikings, Cardinals, Ravens, Dolphins
3. Lions, Rams, Bengals, Bills
4. Bears, 49ers, Browns, Jets

Not perfect across the board, but pretty darn similar .

I'd say the Cardinals are good enough to challenge Seattle for the NFCW.

D

Deleted member 6794

I consider the Packers' unit, healthy and with additions, to be better than the Bears' or Lions', yes. Of course GB's cornerbacks are not in the top half of the league overall, but in this division there happen to be two teams which, in my opinion, are really talent poor at corner even compared to the Packers. And of course, we aren't still talking about the same group as a year ago.

In my opinion both the Bears and Lions currently have better cornerback groups than the Packers. I would take Amukamara and Fulled as well as Slay and Lawson over any combination of Green Bay's top two CBs. In addition the Bears have some quality which I have to admit the Lions completely lack.

That might change over the course of the 2017 season if Randall, Rollins and Gunter bounce back or King provides an immediate impact but it seems we're talking about the current situation.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Growing up primarily a Chargers fan, I used to do this for the AFC West every year. Now they are dead to me forever, so I'm turning my full attention to the Packers and the NFC North. With the draft complete, teams have made all of the important additions and subtractions that we can expect at this point. So with no more ado, let's take this by position group and fire up the discussion.

Quarterback: While some of these positions are pretty mirky, quarterback is cut and dry. Rodgers is #1 with a bullet. After a significant drop down, Stafford stands head and shoulders above the others. Bradford, for his faults, is still easily a better option than Glennon and a rookie, who bring up the rear. The Bears likely have the best backup in the divsion, but I don't give much weight to backups at this position.
  1. Packers
  2. Lions
  3. Vikings
  4. Bears

Running Back:
Overall, this is a weak position in the NFCN. The emergence of Jordan Howard gives the Bears an easy edge at the top. He looked like the best back of the four teams by a pretty decent margin last year. Carey and Langford aren't anything special, but they're competent backups. And while I laughed at the Tarik Cohen pick, it's possible he brings a new dimension. I gave the #2 spot to the Lions because of Theo Rid****. While not a traditional back, he's a fantastic receiver and actually showed more as a runner in 2016. Ameer Abdullah is a talented backup. The Packers will hopefully climb close to the top of this list as Montgomery develops at the position and the rookies have the chance to prove their worth, but I'm not going to assume that happens and slot them any higher. I'm sure some will disagree with putting the Vikings last, but I really don't like their additions. Latavius Murray has no vision and is about to get a reality check behind a horrible offensive line after playing with a great one. Dalvin Cook was one of the most overrated prospects in this class in my opinion. He has some skills, but his shoulders are fragile, he has a fumbling problem, and he's a poor athlete.
  1. Bears
  2. Lions
  3. Packers
  4. Vikings

Wide Receiver:
Another easy position, I think it's tough to argue that the Packers don't have this one sewn up. Nelson is still close to the top of his game, making him the class of the division. Adams has emerged as a great #2, and while injuries have robbed Cobb of some of his ability, he still has some big moments. Behind those three are four young guys, some of whom have high end athletic potential. While less proven than the corps in Green Bay, Minnesota boasts some nice talent on the outside. Diggs has emerged as a consistent option for Bradford, and Thielen surprised with his consistency. Treadwell did nothing as a rookie, but there is still potential there and teams could do a lot worse than Jarius Wright as a #4. The Lions lack a guy that you would look at as a #1, but they have two quality targets in Tate and Jones. While there really is nothing proven behind them at this point, that still puts them in a better positon than the Bears who, aside from aging and/or disappointing vets like Royal, Wheaton, and Randle, have to rely on nothing but the hope that White and Meredith will emerge as reliable options.
  1. Packers
  2. Vikings
  3. Lions
  4. Bears

Tight End: Due to offseason acquisitions, the Packers climb to the top of this list. Bennett and Rudolph are really the only two candidates to be considered the best in-division. And the Vikings lack a TE2 of Kendricks' quality. I've never been a fan of Richard Rodgers, but as your 3rd TE it's hard to do much better (though he might get beaten out by the more talented Beau Sandland). The Vikings do have a quality player in Rudolph, and I like the potential of Bucky Hodges as a receiver and Morgan as a blocker. The Bears at #3 might seem surprising, but Zach Miller and Eric Ebron are really not much different in quality. Behind him, I view the combination of Sims and Shaheen as a better combination than Roberts and Fells.
  1. Packers
  2. Vikings
  3. Bears
  4. Lions

Offensive Line: Lang's departure shakes this up a little but, but I still think the Packers have a firm hold of the top spot. Their starters at 4/5 spots are anywhere from solid to elite, and Evans was still a high end pass protector at guard last year despite his age. The Lions have gotten some nice play out of Decker, and made two big additions in Lang and Wagner to get to #2 on this list. I don't love the Bears' options at either tackle spot, but Sitton, Whitehair, and Long as a nice interior trio. And lastly, you have the Vikings, who are still a mess. Reiff was an OK RT in Detroit who is now playing the left side for Minnesota. Mike Remmers is fine, but can be a liability in protection at right tackle. The RG spot looks to be a mess.
  1. Packers
  2. Lions
  3. Bears
  4. Vikings

Interior Defensive Line:
This take is bound to be somewhat controversial, but it has as much to do with the weakness of the other teams as it does the strength of the Packers. Mike Daniels is probably the best iDL in the division. Kenny Clark and Dean Lowry came on down the stretch last season. RJF is a quality rotational lineman, and Adams has some potential in rotation. Guion can be kept as a competent veteran if need be. The Vikings have a great player in Linval Joseph, but with Floyd perhaps being done the rest of their unit is comprised of Tom Johnson, Shamar Stephen, and 4th round rookie Jaleel Johnson. The Bears will move up for me if they sign Jaye Howard, but at the moment they don't really have a quality starter aside from Hicks. There is plenty of room for Goldman and Bullard to change that, but it hasn't happened yet. And lastly, you have Detroit who starts an aging Haloti Ngata and an unproven A'Shawn Robinson, while their top backups are Akeem Spence and Packers' draft bust Khyri Thornton.
  1. Packers
  2. Vikings
  3. Bears
  4. Lions

Edge Rusher:
The Vikings have this one on lockdown with quality starters in Griffen and Hunter, and Robison still being productive. Datone Jones may end up being a nice option in a 4-3 under Zimmer. The trio of solid players in Chicago, McPhee, Floyd, and Young, are enough for me to give the 2nd spot to the Bears. The Packers have perhaps the best edge rusher in the division (when he's healthy) in Nick Perry, but behind him is the increasingly unreliable Clay Matthews and a couple of young players who have yet to prove much of anything. Detroit isn't much different with Ansah and Hyder corresponding to Perry and Matthews, but with the exception that they have much less potential as you move down the depth chart.
  1. Vikings
  2. Bears
  3. Packers
  4. Lions

Off-Ball Linebacker: While Barr's trajectory has been more uneven than you'd expect from a guy who started off his career so well, he's still a talented and versatile option. Kendricks is also quality. Chicago has two nice options in Trevathan and Freeman, but there is very little around them that impresses me. In Green Bay, I like what I've seen from Ryan and Martinez in their 2nd and 1st years respecitvely. Thomas is an OK backup at WILL, but depth at MIKE still needs to be addressed. The Lions are hoping that Jarrad Davis improves what is currently a pretty pathetic group.
  1. Vikings
  2. Bears
  3. Packers
  4. Lions

Cornerback:
I'm getting ready for a fight over this one. Minnesota is obviously the class of the division, with Rhodes, Newman, Waynes, and Alexander. After them, I rated Packers #2 for the following reasons. They added Davon House, who was capable in this defense before leaving. They added a freakishly talented rookie in Kevin King. Their 2015 draft picks, Randall and Rollins, were good as rookies but injured in 2015. With all of that going on, I give them the edge over the Lions who have a great option in Darius Slay but really not much around him in terms of proven talent or high end potential (this likely has a lot to do with my low opinion of **** Tabor). The Bears bring up the rear with the solid but oft injured Amukamara playing across from the disappointing Kyle Fuller. The rest of the depth chart is fairly paltry.
  1. Vikings
  2. Packers
  3. Lions
  4. Bears

Safety: Cinton-Dix has developed into a very strong starter across from the steady, consistent presence of Burnett. There is also potential behind him in Kentrell Brice and rookie Josh Jones. The Vikings, while lacking the quality in both spots that the Packers boast, have one of the best safeties in the entire league in Harrison Smith. The Bears aren't anything special at safety, but Demps and Amos as both solid. Lastly, the Lions are fielding an aging Glover Quin and not much else.
  1. Packers
  2. Vikings
  3. Bears
  4. Lions
Glad you are here and posting. Thanks for the info, we needed an influx of football discussion/perspective. Enjoyed that more than some of our beat writers. Nice job!

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would switch cb to have gb last but other than that this really good.

I think one of the huge things is the gap between teams at certain positions especially qb, wr and oline for the Packers. They are just way better than the rest of the division. Same with Cb for Minnesota.

I know the Vikings have really solid lbs and de on paper but man that group underperformed the second half of the season.

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So heading into 2017, if you had to pick between:

Mike Daniels, Kenny Clark, Ricky Jean-Francois, Dean Lowry, Montravious Adams, and Christian Ringo

And

Linval Joseph, Tom Johnson, Shamar Stephen, Jaleel Johnson, and Toby Johnson

Which one are you choosing?

:confused:

Names don't usually mean anything special, and those you quoted aren't even big name players! The stats from last season paint a different picture. Clark was half-way decent and did nothing noteworthy last season imo. MikeD apart, rest of the names you've quoted are rookies or new to the team. Don't even want to talk about Ringo. I have faith in them, but it still is a unproven mix.

D

Deleted member 6794

Names don't usually mean anything special, and those you quoted aren't even big name players! The stats from last season paint a different picture. Clark was half-way decent and did nothing noteworthy last season imo. MikeD apart, rest of the names you've quoted are rookies or new to the team. Don't even want to talk about Ringo. I have faith in them, but it still is a unproven mix.

While the Packers don´t have another elite player on the defensive line aside of Daniels I agree with Dantés that the team has more talent within the position group than the rest of the NFC North teams.

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
While the Packers don´t have another elite player on the defensive line aside of Daniels I agree with Dantés that the team has more talent within the position group than the rest of the NFC North teams.

Not disagreeing, but if you consider players at peak, then Clay/Perry should be the best edge rushing duo of the NFC-N lot. But despite potential, it is not.

As you say, it is a mix of young squad with veterans thrown in and has a ton of upside. Hope they click well this season.

OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
In my opinion both the Bears and Lions currently have better cornerback groups than the Packers. I would take Amukamara and Fulled as well as Slay and Lawson over any combination of Green Bay's top two CBs. In addition the Bears have some quality which I have to admit the Lions completely lack.

That might change over the course of the 2017 season if Randall, Rollins and Gunter bounce back or King provides an immediate impact but it seems we're talking about the current situation.

I understand the Bears. I am projecting quite a bit when I place the Packers above them. But the Lions I just think are a disaster after Slay, who undoubtedly is better than anyone on the Packers individually. And I'm giving more weight to depth here because usually at least 4 cornerbacks see significant snaps. It's interesting (not that this stat is corner specific) that the Lions were the one team to allow more passing touchdowns than Green Bay last year.

D

Deleted member 6794

I understand the Bears. I am projecting quite a bit when I place the Packers above them. But the Lions I just think are a disaster after Slay, who undoubtedly is better than anyone on the Packers individually. And I'm giving more weight to depth here because usually at least 4 cornerbacks see significant snaps. It's interesting (not that this stat is corner specific) that the Lions were the one team to allow more passing touchdowns than Green Bay last year.

I agree the Lions don't have any quality depth at cornerback but Lawson performed on a higher level than any of the Packers' CBs in 2016 and combined with Slay I would rank their position group above Green Bay's.

BTW the Browns allowed more touchdown passes than the Packers last season as well.

OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I agree the Lions don't have any quality depth at cornerback but Lawson performed on a higher level than any of the Packers' CBs in 2016 and combined with Slay I would rank their position group above Green Bay's.

BTW the Browns allowed more touchdown passes than the Packers last season as well.

I think that's fair. I'm just projecting. Because unless there are mass injuries again, the personnel will be way different. Gunter, Rollins, and Goodwin played about 1,750 combined defensive snaps last season and should all three be on the bench this year even in the nickel (if they make the team). And while we really just have to wait and see, I'm of the opinion that Randall's issues last year had more to do with injuries than anything else.

But I would personally take:

House, King, Randall, Rollins

Over

Slay, Lawson, Hayden, Tabor

And, more controversially,

Amukamara, Fuller, McManis, Callahan

I don't really have a gripe if people put GB last because this really comes down to guess work. But I hope I'm right.

OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
:confused:

What stats paint a picture specifically about the interior defensive lines?

I would agree that overall the Vikings front 7 is better. But specifically at their DT spots, they have Joseph and not much else, Floyd is likely done and their biggest addition is a 4th round rookie (who, I will add, I do like).

OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I would switch cb to have gb last but other than that this really good.

I think one of the huge things is the gap between teams at certain positions especially qb, wr and oline for the Packers. They are just way better than the rest of the division. Same with Cb for Minnesota.

I know the Vikings have really solid lbs and de on paper but man that group underperformed the second half of the season.

Yes, I agree. The Packers have a ton of separation from the rest on offense, and the Vikings likewise on defense. Now if all the investment in recent drafts on defense actually starts paying off for the Packers, they will likely leave the rest of the division in the dust.

D

Deleted member 6794

I think that's fair. I'm just projecting. Because unless there are mass injuries again, the personnel will be way different. Gunter, Rollins, and Goodwin played about 1,750 combined defensive snaps last season and should all three be on the bench this year even in the nickel (if they make the team). And while we really just have to wait and see, I'm of the opinion that Randall's issues last year had more to do with injuries than anything else.

But I would personally take:

House, King, Randall, Rollins

Over

Slay, Lawson, Hayden, Tabor

And, more controversially,

Amukamara, Fuller, McManis, Callahan

I don't really have a gripe if people put GB last because this really comes down to guess work. But I hope I'm right.

I believe the Packers were counting on Rollins to play a significant amount of time entering last season. It's true the team for sure didn't anticipate lining up Gunter for close to 1,000 snaps though.

I truly hope you're right about the Packers cornerbacks being better than the Bears and Lions in 2017 as well.

D

Deleted member 6794

Yes, I agree. The Packers have a ton of separation from the rest on offense, and the Vikings likewise on defense. Now if all the investment in recent drafts on defense actually starts paying off for the Packers, they will likely leave the rest of the division in the dust.

I expect the Packers to leave the rest of the division in the dust no matter how well the defense performs. It's a different story with the other top teams in the NFC though.

OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I believe the Packers were counting on Rollins to play a significant amount of time entering last season. It's true the team for sure didn't anticipate lining up Gunter for close to 1,000 snaps though.

I truly hope you're right about the Packers cornerbacks being better than the Bears and Lions in 2017 as well.

I believe that's true, but I don't think they were counting on him, Randall, Shields, etc getting hurt.

D

Deleted member 6794

I believe that's true, but I don't think they were counting on him, Randall, Shields, etc getting hurt.

Unfortunately the Packers primarily didn't have a backup plan for Shields getting hurt.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Unfortunately the Packers primarily didn't have a backup plan for Shields getting hurt.
I'm sure their plan A included R & R starting more than a combined 19 games. Getting another 10 healthy starts (and whole games) out of those two might have made a difference.

D

Deleted member 6794

I'm sure their plan A included R & R starting more than a combined 19 games. Getting another 10 healthy starts (and whole games) out of those two might have made a difference.

Unfortunately Randall and Rollins struggled mightily when being able to be on the field, therefore I don't believe having had both available for the entire season would have made a huge difference.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts