Mock Offseason

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
fine jeans i mean genes indeed

I tried to find some pictures of them in jeans because I was pretty sure they would be fine but although there were a few of them in slacks mostly they wore skirts and dresses. I didn't mind though.

OP
OP
AmishMafia

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Honestly, I didnt like my last mock 30 mins after I posted. So, here I go again . . .

The final Amish Mock of the year

Bosa, QWilliams, White, Allen, Taylor, Sweat and Oliver are gone. Pack looks to trade back and finds the Steelers looking to move up.

Based on last year it would be a surprise if Gute didn't trade 4 or 5 times so . . .

Trade 1.12 for 1.20 and 2.52

1.20 Simmons DT - With 2 picks in the first, the Pack are okay with the risk. Prior to the injury, Simmons was my best hope at 12. I expect to put him on the PUP and then bring him along slowly during the season. I expect him to start in 2020. A DL who provides a big impact as a rookie is a rare thing anyway. Tremendous disruptive player who saw mostly double teams and still was able to beat them repeatedly. Great skills, strength and athleticism. Plays with an attitude as well.

1.30 AJ Brown in my mind the best WR in the draft. Why is he still here? Because there are 3 or 4 other WRs who are close (Marquise Brown (who is gone), NKeal, harmon, and Metcalf ). Next there are about 20 more WRs who are in the 2nd tier. Teams will know they can get a 2nd tier WR in the 4th round and will pass on these guys early. AJ can do it all. Slot, wide. Runs excellent crisp routes. Great hands, good speed, great after the catch, fast and powerful. I like these guys who can do it in a multitude of ways.

2.44 OT/G Caleb McGary - very athletic OT/G will fit the packer system nicely. Better run blocker right now, so we let him take over for Lane Taylor at G and develop into an OT. After a season or two as an OG he should develop his pass blocking skills and be ready to move outside to OT. The word on him, though, is that he is limited mentally. That is certainly a limitation - there is a reason that the smartest guys on a team are on the OLine. I don't know what level he is at, but think he is functional enough to be a solid player for us. I would prefer Risner or Little, but suspect both will be off the board earlier in the 2nd.

2.52 S Thornhill - I hear Adderly is dropping, but not sure I believe. Thornhill has great coverage skills as he is a converted CB. His skill set will pair greatly with FA Amos. By at least 1 metric, Thornhill is the best athlete in the draft and Pettine will be able to do a lot with him. I have Adderly, Abram, Chauncey Gardner, Thornhill, Rapp, and Savage all ranked pretty close to each on ther, but ino particular order. Fact is, I like one and the next day I prefer another. One of them should be available. Deionte Thompson is a notch below. I would have to wait to the 3rd to take him.

3.75 OLB Oshane Ximinies - I feel like i should grab a surprise OLB, a super athletic one like Maxx or . . .. But I'm going to go with Ximimies. He received some 1st round hype early in the process, but he belongs towards the end of the 2nd or early 3rd. Decent athlete with impressive production, albeit, at a lower level of comptetion. Will need to add some lower body strength if he is to develop into a full time player. Thats fine as he would only see the field in obvious passing downs anyway with the Smiths manning the OLB on most plays.

4.114 RB Justice Hill - short guy who is very quick and fast. We have not used this sort of back, but with the new regime, we may be looking for someone with this skill set as a bit of a change of pace. Can see him running sweeps and such.

4.118 TE Josh Oliver - or Warring, but I think he will be gone. Oliver had a productive year, has decent hands and good rout running. Seems like an adequate and willing blocker and should be able to improve that with a few lbs and some extra strength.

5.150 CB David Long Not sure we are set at CB. We have Jaire and King. Both of which are not 100% reliable from a health perspective. We have Jackson who showed huge promise in preseason, only to falter last season. Fast and athletic, Long has a lot of natural physical talent. He improved throughout the season, but is a work in progress with technique. If he returned to school and worked on technique, he could have been a day 2 pick. (Ken Webster, Jamel Dean, and Bunting are all very similar options)

It gets tough at this point. There are 50-100 players who are all pretty similar and could go anywhere.

6.185 ILB Sione TakiTaki - good player fairly productive. Got better every year. Will provide good depth but we are hoping that Burks takes a step this year.

6.194 WR Keelan Doss Looked really good at the senior bowl. Just a good WR. Quick, good hands, and runs well. Seems like a guy who just gets the job done, one way or another. Someone Rodgers could always depend on in the clutch.

7.226 S Zedrick Woods
Fast and athletic. Blossomed his final year, but stats don't really show up to much for him. A lot to work with here, and chances are a team takes him higher because of the possibilities with his athletic skills. But, with a lot of safeties in the draft, I figure a few of them will drop later than expected. Saquan Hampton (Rutgers) is very similar and would work here as well.

Dang it. Forgot a kicker. oh well.

Reaction score
Honestly, I didnt like my last mock 30 mins after I posted. So, here I go again . . .

Bosa, QWilliams, White, Allen, Taylor, Sweat and Oliver are gone. Pack looks to trade back and finds the Steelers looking to move up.

Based on last year it would be a surprise if Gute didn't trade 4 or 5 times so . . .

1.20 Simmons DT - With 2 picks in the first, the Pack are okay with the risk. Prior to the injury, Simmons was my best hope at 12. I expect to put him on the PUP and then bring him along slowly during the season. I expect him to start in 2020. A DL who provides a big impact as a rookie is a rare thing anyway. Tremendous disruptive player who saw mostly double teams and still was able to beat them repeatedly. Great skills, strength and athleticism. Plays with an attitude as well.

1.30 AJ Brown in my mind the best WR in the draft. Why is he still here? Because there are 3 or 4 other WRs who are close (Marquise Brown (who is gone), NKeal, harmon, and Metcalf ). Next there are about 20 more WRs who are in the 2nd tier. Teams will know they can get a 2nd tier WR in the 4th round and will pass on these guys early. AJ can do it all. Slot, wide. Runs excellent crisp routes. Great hands, good speed, great after the catch, fast and powerful. I like these guys who can do it in a multitude of ways.

2.44 OT/G Caleb McGary - very athletic OT/G will fit the packer system nicely. Better run blocker right now, so we let him take over for Lane Taylor at G and develop into an OT. After a season or two as an OG he should develop his pass blocking skills and be ready to move outside to OT. The word on him, though, is that he is limited mentally. That is certainly a limitation - there is a reason that the smartest guys on a team are on the OLine. I don't know what level he is at, but think he is functional enough to be a solid player for us. I would prefer Risner or Little, but suspect both will be off the board earlier in the 2nd.

2.52 S Thornhill - I hear Adderly is dropping, but not sure I believe. Thornhill has great coverage skills as he is a converted CB. His skill set will pair greatly with FA Amos. By at least 1 metric, Thornhill is the best athlete in the draft and Pettine will be able to do a lot with him. I have Adderly, Abram, Chauncey Gardner, Thornhill, Rapp, and Savage all ranked pretty close to each on ther, but ino particular order. Fact is, I like one and the next day I prefer another. One of them should be available. Deionte Thompson is a notch below. I would have to wait to the 3rd to take him.

3.75 OLB Oshane Ximinies - I feel like i should grab a surprise OLB, a super athletic one like Maxx or . . .. But I'm going to go with Ximimies. He received some 1st round hype early in the process, but he belongs towards the end of the 2nd or early 3rd. Decent athlete with impressive production, albeit, at a lower level of comptetion. Will need to add some lower body strength if he is to develop into a full time player. Thats fine as he would only see the field in obvious passing downs anyway with the Smiths manning the OLB on most plays.

4.114 RB Justice Hill - short guy who is very quick and fast. We have not used this sort of back, but with the new regime, we may be looking for someone with this skill set as a bit of a change of pace. Can see him running sweeps and such.

4.118 TE Josh Oliver - or Warring, but I think he will be gone. Oliver had a productive year, has decent hands and good rout running. Seems like an adequate and willing blocker and should be able to improve that with a few lbs and some extra strength.

5.150 CB David Long Not sure we are set at CB. We have Jaire and King. Both of which are not 100% reliable from a health perspective. We have Jackson who showed huge promise in preseason, only to falter last season. Fast and athletic, Long has a lot of natural physical talent. He improved throughout the season, but is a work in progress with technique. If he returned to school and worked on technique, he could have been a day 2 pick. (Ken Webster, Jamel Dean, and Bunting are all very similar options)

It gets tough at this point. There are 50-100 players who are all pretty similar and could go anywhere.

6.185 ILB Sione TakiTaki - good player fairly productive. Got better every year. Will provide good depth but we are hoping that Burks takes a step this year.

6.194 WR Keelan Doss Looked really good at the senior bowl. Just a good WR. Quick, good hands, and runs well. Seems like a guy who just gets the job done, one way or another. Someone Rodgers could always depend on in the clutch.

7.226 S Zedrick Woods
Fast and athletic. Blossomed his final year, but stats don't really show up to much for him. A lot to work with here, and chances are a team takes him higher because of the possibilities with his athletic skills. But, with a lot of safeties in the draft, I figure a few of them will drop later than expected. Saquan Hampton (Rutgers) is very similar and would work here as well.

Overall pretty nice. I also like the idea of hitting TE another quality RB before round 4 closed. Plus the CB for depth later makes sense.

Last edited:

elcid

Cheesehead
Reaction score

7.226 S Zedrick Woods

Great mock Amish! I too forget to draft a kicker in my mocks, but at this point I dont really care about drafting one. We still have some cap space and chances are we won't be using it anyway. Crosby is signed for one more year right? I'm fine with him riding it out and targeting a kicker next year.

D

Deleted member 6794

Great mock Amish! I too forget to draft a kicker in my mocks, but at this point I dont really care about drafting one. We still have some cap space and chances are we won't be using it anyway. Crosby is signed for one more year right? I'm fine with him riding it out and targeting a kicker next year.

The Packers would be smart to use the cap space saved by releasing Crosby ($3.45 million) on a veteran at a position of need after the draft.

elcid

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers would be smart to use the cap space saved by releasing Crosby ($3.45 million) on a veteran at a position of need after the draft.
I understand your position, but its a big IF. First someone has to be available. Furthermore it seems that the Packers FO always likes to roll over some available cap space.

It's not like we can sign a quality starter for the long term anyway

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 6794

I understand your position, but its a big IF. First someone has to be available. Furthermore it seems that the Packers FO always likes to roll over some available cap space anyway.

It's not like we can sign a quality starter for the long term anyway

There are a lot of veterans still available in free agency and while I agree that most likely none of them would present a long-term solution it's possible to upgrade a position for the 2019 season by signing one.

The Packers won't be able to roll over a lot of cap space for the upcoming season.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Although the Packers will not have to pay Crosby $3M+ if he doesn't make the final 53, that actually isn't really all savings. The Packers will still have to pay a kicker to take his place. Robbie Gould wants out of San Fran to be closer to his family in Chicago. Guessing his price is more than you want to spend on a kicker, but his career accuracy is better than Crosby's.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Although the Packers will not have to pay Crosby $3M+ if he doesn't make the final 53, that actually isn't really all savings. The Packers will still have to pay a kicker to take his place. Robbie Gould wants out of San Fran to be closer to his family in Chicago. Guessing his price is more than you want to spend on a kicker, but his career accuracy is better than Crosby's.

If the replacement is a late round rookie, then you're still talking about over 3M in cap savings.

D

Deleted member 6794

I'm definitely not interested in the Packers releasing Crosby to acquire an even more expensive kicker.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
No, but I definitely prefer saving $3 million in cap space while getting the same results.

Seems like you are assuming that no matter what kicker the Packers put on their roster, they are guaranteed the same results that they have seen with Crosby, at a reduced price. While I would love to see them save $3M on the position, I recognize that they would be gambling on the fact that the results could be worse. Just how much is a game winning kick in a playoff game worth?

They aren't looking to replace a ball boy that is making $20/hr with a kid who can do it equally as well at $8/hr. A new kicker could be better, same or worse as Crosby, but assuming the same or better is a big leap.

D

Deleted member 6794

Seems like you are assuming that no matter what kicker the Packers put on their roster, they are guaranteed the same results that they have seen with Crosby, at a reduced price. While I would love to see them save $3M on the position, I recognize that they would be gambling on the fact that the results could be worse. Just how much is a game winning kick in a playoff game worth?

They aren't looking to replace a ball boy that is making $20/hr with a kid who can do it equally as well at $8/hr. A new kicker could be better, same or worse as Crosby, but assuming the same or better is a big leap.

I've mentioned on several occasions (and supported it with cold hard facts) that it's not that difficult to adequately replace Crosby with a significantly cheaper kicker. In addition there's the possibility of moving on from a struggling kicker still on a rookie deal during the season as well to bring in another one, which is impossible with Crosby once he's on the roster in week 1.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I've mentioned on several occasions (and supported it with cold hard facts) that it's not that difficult to adequately replace Crosby with a significantly cheaper kicker. In addition there's the possibility of moving on from a struggling kicker still on a rookie deal during the season as well to bring in another one, which is impossible with Crosby once he's on the roster in week 1.

Right and I could take the time and dig up all the stats of rookies and in season signings that have performed worse than Crosby and not even have to talk about the playoffs. But where would that get us? The bottom line is, we have completely opposite opinions of the subject and I don't expect to change yours and you definitely aren't going to change mine. ;)

I am willing to meet you half way though. I hope the Packers draft a rookie kicker with a 6th or 7th and if he has a solid preseason, goodbye Mason. However, making that move in no way guarantees that he will kick better, same or worse than Crosby during the regular season and/or playoffs. Only thing it guarantees, the Packers will be paying less for a lessor known commodity.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Looks like the cost of having the best kicker in the NFL just went up. The Ravens gave Justin Tucker a four-year extension, worth $23.05 million.

Crosby is starting to look like a bargain. :whistling: :cool: :roflmao:

elcid

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Looks like the cost of having the best kicker in the NFL just went up. The Ravens gave Justin Tucker a four-year extension, worth $23.05 million.

Crosby is starting to look like a bargain. :whistling: :cool: :roflmao:
Maybe we should increase his pay or he might not show up for OTAs and start demanding a trade

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Maybe we should increase his pay or he might not show up for OTAs and start demanding a trade

I know you were only joking but I am so sick of reading about players threatening to sit out unless their contracts are reworked and/or they are traded. Fine, I get it, a player feels like he is now being underpaid and wants more money, but ask the team quietly and don't threaten to sit out on a contract that you agreed to. If escalator or incentive clauses in your contract are that important to you, get them in the contract before you sign it. But then you should also be willing to take a pay cut if you are under-performing on your contract as well, right?

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I know you were only joking but I am so sick of reading about players threatening to sit out unless their contracts are reworked and/or they are traded. Fine, I get it, a player feels like he is now being underpaid and wants more money, but ask the team quietly and don't threaten to sit out on a contract that you agreed to. If escalator or incentive clauses in your contract are that important to you, get them in the contract before you sign it. But then you should also be willing to take a pay cut if you are under-performing on your contract as well, right?

Perhaps if they had guaranteed contracts, it wouldn't happen as often. Perhaps if the NFL offered decent health coverage post career, it wouldn't be as big of a deal.

elcid

Cheesehead
Reaction score

While I agree that it has become more and more ridiculous in the way players behave when they want more money, realistically I don't ever see them getting any if they are quite and civil about it. What team would willingly increase the cost of a player? The leverage of said players is when they get as much public exposure as possible. Disgruntled fan bases are probably the best chance they have at getting more money.

elcid

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Perhaps if they had guaranteed contracts, it wouldn't happen as often. Perhaps if the NFL offered decent health coverage post career, it wouldn't be as big of a deal.
Plus this. Due to the injury sensitive nature of the sport (which more often could have lasting effects for the rest of their lives than in any other sport) I feel like players are more in their right to drive extremely hard bargains

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Post employment health coverage? On average, retired NFL players receive an annual pension check of about $43,000. How and what they decide to spend that money on is their decision. (source below)

I really don't think Players demanding pay increases and/or trades are doing it to pay for their post career health coverage. Nor is a player that retires from the NFL not able to seek employment elsewhere.

As far as guaranteed contracts, a team does pay guaranteed money on most contracts now. While the team has the right to cut, trade or keep the player, they don't have the contractual right of cutting their pay mid contract. Sure you can argue that the team has the right to cut a player during the contract, but the team loses that player and any prepaid guarantees. Meanwhile, the cut player is free to sign a new contract with another team for more, less or the same money.

Or are you talking about making these guarantees to players that are cut and never play again in the NFL?

https://www.investopedia.com/financial-edge/0710/top-pro-athlete-pension-plans.aspx

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Plus this. Due to the injury sensitive nature of the sport (which more often could have lasting effects for the rest of their lives than in any other sport) I feel like players are more in their right to drive extremely hard bargains
Maybe any of the major Sports, but I can list a lot more dangerous Sports. But more importantly, I could list a lot more dangerous and necessary jobs such as Military personnel, firefighters, police officers, etc that would probably love to be included in the conversation of receiving those kinds of benefits.

OP
OP
AmishMafia

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Post employment health coverage? On average, retired NFL players receive an annual pension check of about $43,000. How and what they decide to spend that money on is their decision. (source below)

I really don't think Players demanding pay increases and/or trades are doing it to pay for their post career health coverage. Nor is a player that retires from the NFL not able to seek employment elsewhere.

As far as guaranteed contracts, a team does pay guaranteed money on most contracts now. While the team has the right to cut, trade or keep the player, they don't have the contractual right of cutting their pay mid contract. Sure you can argue that the team has the right to cut a player during the contract, but the team loses that player and any prepaid guarantees. Meanwhile, the cut player is free to sign a new contract with another team for more, less or the same money.

Or are you talking about making these guarantees to players that are cut and never play again in the NFL?

https://www.investopedia.com/financial-edge/0710/top-pro-athlete-pension-plans.aspx
Well done.

Simple Economics. The more guaranteed money the smaller the contract. Players are free now, to fully guarantee their pay. There has to be an economic benefit to the team however. That benefit is lower salary to offset the longterm risk.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts