Free Agent Signings for Packers or Elsewhere...

jetfixer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So personally for me, I am done with Ted Thompson. If we don't retain Cook, Lacy, and Lang we have to draft 2 starting CBs, a punt returner/nickle CB, a Starting TE, a starting OG and a decent RB. Guess what Ted, that's IMPOSSIBLE

You seriously think because Hyde signed elsewhere we need a punt returner? Yea we need DB's but we have guys that can return punts. We will sign more players, yes, I hope we get some good ones at that!

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
So personally for me, I am done with Ted Thompson. If we don't retain Cook, Lacy, and Lang we have to draft 2 starting CBs, a punt returner/nickle CB, a Starting TE, a starting OG and a decent RB. Guess what Ted, that's IMPOSSIBLE
Really? How long have you been a fan of this team? Has TT done ANYTHING different today than seasons past? He NEVER dabbles day one and yet consistently puts out a playoff caliber team. He tries to stay 1 year ahead. The OG was drafted last season Spriggs / Murphy. CB was blindsided by injury. The OLBs were supposed to be Perry/Clay/ Jones this upcoming season. DL is Clark in for Guion. Cobb is still our punt returner if Davis doesn't catch on to it. Take a chill pill and re-evaluate next month.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
I bet sooooo many teams were just chomping at the bit to get a shot at Barclay.

We dodged a bullet there.

RepStar15

"We're going to relentlessly chase perfection."
Reaction score
Really? How long have you been a fan of this team? Has TT done ANYTHING different today than seasons past? He NEVER dabbles day one and yet consistently puts out a playoff caliber team. He tries to stay 1 year ahead. The OG was drafted last season Spriggs / Murphy. CB was blindsided by injury. The OLBs were supposed to be Perry/Clay/ Jones this upcoming season. DL is Clark in for Guion. Cobb is still our punt returner if Davis doesn't catch on to it. Take a chill pill and re-evaluate next month.
A playoff caliber team...with the best quarterback in the game...that has only seen one Super Bowl because the only thing consistent about the defense he drafts is Injury

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score

Right now he looks to be "two years behind"

gonzozab

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Teddy doesn't consistently put out a playoff caliber team. Rodgers does.

bubba

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Come on man! We have all seen Barclay play. If TT is resigning this guy he needs to be removed IMMEDIATALLY!!

Arthur Squires

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We don't resign Tretter, Lang still not resigned looking like Lions interested in him. But we friggin resign Don Barclay!!! I FEEL LIKE I'M TAKING CRAZY PILLS!!!

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Why in the world does signing a backup to a near league minimum deal enrage so many people?

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So as of now the Packers have lost Micah Hyde, JC Tretter and possibly TJ Lang, and kept Nick Perry.

So far, the Packers are worse off than they were last year.

ChicagoPackerfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
After day 1, our secondary is worse than last year and our pass rush is still toilet bowl material. Very frustrating to realize we have arguably the greatest quarterback ever while the other candidate in New England is very likely to win title # 6 after their big day pairing Malcolm Butler with Stephon Gilmore. The memories of Damarious Randall and Ladrarius Gunter in the second half against Dallas and the massacre in Atlanta still cause me nightmares to this day.

Last edited:

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
After day 1, our secondary is worse than last year and our pass rush is still toilet bowl material. Very frustrating to realize we have arguably the greatest quarterback ever while the other candidate in New England is very likely to win title # 6 after their big day pairing Malcolm Butler with Stephon Gilmore. The memories of Damarious Randall and Ladrarius Gunter in the second half against Dallas and the massacre in Atlanta still cause me nightmares to this day.

I know. It's really frustrating to see a franchise that could be rivaling the Patriots for supremacy just sit idle over and over again with no urgency. If I didn't love the Packers so much I would just say hell with it because it's too difficult to watch when the answers to fixing this aren't that difficult.

They were talking on NFL network today about Thompson and saying they heard from sources that there is tension in the building. I think we're just gonna have to ride this out until Thompson is gone.

Hopefully Rodgers will have a year or two left.

Last edited:

Arthur Squires

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lang is now top priority. Throw him 2 years 17Mil and hope for the best. He just may see a 9mil per offer from someone like Detroit! If we lose Lang, I say best bet is draft Dan Feeney and get a similar type player imo. Save the money that Lacy would get and give Cook 6 Million and make him happy!

D

Deleted member 6794

It depends which first round pick you are talking about.
Damarius Randall = Garbage, I'd rather have a sure thing top ten CB like Butler then another draft and development project that can't find their head which is stuck up their ***.
Aaron Rodgers is NOT getting any younger!

I would have liked Thompson to sign one of the top cornerbacks in free agency this offseason. With most of them being gone I would be fine with trading an early pick for a veteran #1.

If you really thought we were going to be in on Bouye, Gilmore etc then you're doing this to yourself. Was never going to happen. Let the dust settle and we'll re-assess then.

I hate that Packers fans have accepted the mentality that Thompson will never pursue an elite player in free agency.

So we lose Lang, Tretter, Hyde, Lacy and bring nobody in.

Neither Lang nor Lacy have signed with another team.

out of curiosity why is everyone on board with letting hyde walk? one of few veteran guys we have on the roster we let go for 6 million a year who can play everywhere? in comparison hayward is making 5 million from his 3/15 contract. im just baffled how you all think hyde was overpaid. please explain if you could......

Hyde would have been overpaid at $6 million a season as the third safety as well as a backup slot cornerback.

Not many smart GMs do the first day overpay signings. Unless truly one piece away rarely ever works to do so.

The Packers are only one piece away from being a serious Super Bowl contender, yet Thompson is standing pat instead of upgrading the most glaring weakness via free agency.

All those holes? You mean secondary pass rusher and nickel CB.

You're absolutely fooling yourself by believing the Packers only have to add a nickle cornerback. The team is in dire need of a veteran #1 CB, especially as Randall, Rollins and Gunter haven't shown anything to believe they will perform at a decent level without a veteran leader.