Free Agent Signings for Packers or Elsewhere...

D

Deleted member 6794

Bouye was one of the few guys that really intrigued me because he was young and coming off a really good season. I agree you need to use free agency but I actually feel like the Packers did that this year with Bennett, Kendrick, Brooks, House and Dial.

There's no doubt the Packers were more aggressive in free agency this offseason.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
It's just way too early to decide on which signings were good and which were bad. We're only a quarter of the way into the season, and many of these guys are still adjusting to their new surroundings.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's just way too early to decide on which signings were good and which were bad. We're only a quarter of the way into the season, and many of these guys are still adjusting to their new surroundings.
i know, i made mention that a lot will change yet this year. I wasn't declaring any winners, just pointing out that what happens in April doesn't ever stop people from having their minds made up about the outcome, regardless of the actual outcome for the season.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
i know, i made mention that a lot will change yet this year. I wasn't declaring any winners, just pointing out that what happens in April doesn't ever stop people from having their minds made up about the outcome, regardless of the actual outcome for the season.

Yeah, I agree with you. I am generally opposed to the huge FA splash. But I am glad that the Packers waded into the market a little this year and shored up some areas of the roster. But it's true that most of the people losing their minds during free agency pay very little attention to what those guys actually end up doing for the teams that sign them.

D

Deleted member 6794

i'd like to see tt be proactive in FA for once instead of and reactive. maybe next year.

Thompson addressed several positions of need in free agency this offseason. While I didn't agree 100% with all of his moves there's no doubt he did a better job of using all methods available to improve the roster over the past few months.

D

Deleted member 6794

i was speaking about FA only.

Geez, Thompson has done an excellent job drafting players over his tenure but unfortunately ignored free agency too often to address obvious positions of need in the past. Therefore he improved in that area by finally using all methods available to improve the roster.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
It's ridiculous to bring up isolated free agent signings that didn't work out which fit your narrative to conclude that there's no smart way to use free agency. There are a ton of FAs having an impact with their new teams around the league as well.
Never said there wasn’t a smart way to use FA. I’ve ALWAYS said you need to be very judicious and use due diligence in how you use it. Throwing big piles of money at a bunch of recognizable names is a quick route to Loserville. What is ridiculous is you putting words in my mouth.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
I agree that this offseason saw an intriguing FA influx to the Pack. My question would be - what took 'em so long?
I think that with the high number of free agents that left the team this year, after the draft he had about 5 more roster spots open under the 90 max allowed than he usually does post-draft.

D

Deleted member 6794

Never said there wasn’t a smart way to use FA. I’ve ALWAYS said you need to be very judicious and use due diligence in how you use it. Throwing big piles of money at a bunch of recognizable names is a quick route to Loserville. What is ridiculous is you putting words in my mouth.

You have been one of the posters strongly defending Thompson for not using free agency more often in the past though.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think that with the high number of free agents that left the team this year, after the draft he had about 5 more roster spots open under the 90 max allowed than he usually does post-draft.

I feel that those are slots he generally fills with UDFA, not veteran FA.

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
you're right. that's how he's done it...keeping them young and inexperienced. Rodgers' "all-in" comment may not have hit him on the head but it landed close enough that he took note and signed some experience. maybe this next off-season he'll do something bold and sign at least one real difference maker rather than plug holes. nah...what am i thinking? :rolleyes:

D

Deleted member 6794

you're right. that's how he's done it...keeping them young and inexperienced. Rodgers' "all-in" comment may not have hit him on the head but it landed close enough that he took note and signed some experience. maybe this next off-season he'll do something bold and sign at least one real difference maker rather than plug holes.

I believe that Bennett and Kendricks have the potential to turn into huge impact players for the Packers on offense. It's true Thompson didn't sign such a player on the defensive side of the ball though.

JK64

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I believe that Bennett and Kendricks have the potential to turn into huge impact players for the Packers on offense. It's true Thompson didn't sign such a player on the defensive side of the ball though.
Bennett has been underwhelming so far this season.

D

Deleted member 6794

Bennett has been underwhelming so far this season.

While it's definitely true that Bennett hasn't performed up to expectations so far there's reason to believe he'll become more involved in the passing game once the offensive line gets healthy.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Yes at least partially true. This year, outside of specials, I count Pipkins as the only rookie UDFA on the roster. Though, Patrick, Pankey, Hawkins and Evans have graduated from the practice squad as second year UDFA’s. I would guess that the average age and experience level of this roster is higher than that of the past three years. I think in the past, Thompson usually had 2 or 3 rookie UDFA’s on the 53 man roster. Could be completely wrong on this though. I think the scarfing up of 49er’s late castoffs possibly creates this anomoly though.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
You have been one of the posters strongly defending Thompson for not using free agency more often in the past though.
Imo, that is what “very judicious” and “due diligence” means. I am very, very suspicious of most guys on the free agent market.

D

Deleted member 6794

I would guess that the average age and experience level of this roster is higher than that of the past three years. I think in the past, Thompson usually had 2 or 3 rookie UDFA’s on the 53 man roster. Could be completely wrong on this though. I think the scarfing up of 49er’s late castoffs possibly creates this anomoly though.

Last season a total of nine undrafted rookies actually played for the Packers during the regular season after Thompson kept six of them on the initial roster. The Packers entered 2017 with an average age of 25.73 years old (ranking 11th youngest in the league) which qualifies as the highest as well as outside the top 10 for the first time over at least the past five years.

Members online

Latest posts