1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!

Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Free Agency Theory

Discussion in 'Packer Fan Forum' started by NelsonsLongCatch, Mar 27, 2012.

1. NelsonsLongCatch

NelsonsLongCatch Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +850
    I have a theory about Ted Thompson dipping into free agency and possibly adding one or two players along the defensive line. Maybe Thompson likes a player near the top/middle of the draft enough to trade up. He realizes that this will cost a 1st and 2nd or 1st and 3rd. Without the extra pick, the Packers wouldn't be able to address all needs.

Any thoughts?

2. Poppa San

Poppa San SB I trophy First of four Staff Member Moderator

Ratings:
    +1,631
    I like the idea but won't know until next month. 1st & 2nd won't get very high.

3. NelsonsLongCatch

Ratings:
    +850
    I'm not talking top 10, but if Melvin Igram or Mark Barron fall to 14 or so the 1st and 2nd would do it.

4. Poppa San

Ratings:
    +1,631
  5. NelsonsLongCatch

Ratings:
    +850
  6. Poppa San

Ratings:
    +1,631
    I think they might have to pay a premium. Eagles, Jets, bungles, and Chargers in that area currently.
    EDIT: since the Saints forfeit #58, does that give the Packers the value of pick #58?

7. NelsonsLongCatch

Ratings:
    +850
    Sounds right.

8. SpartaChris

SpartaChris Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +965
    I think these signings are because they expect the roster limits to increase and they want to have stiffer competition for the defensive side of the ball come training camp, though I won't rule out your theory either. It's possible he's stocking up on depth/veteran talent in order to trade up.

9. ivo610

ivo610 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4,273
    I think its bc he thinks most players he drafts will need 2 years to develop

10. Aaron rodgers is god

Aaron rodgers is god Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +154
    I think TT is active in free agency because he doesn't want to use his top picks on replacing Scott Wells and other problems. He wants his top picks to fix the defense. As far as I look at it, we need at least 2 D-Linemen(terrible D-line depth) and Center(Someone to fill in after Saturday), an OLB(Pass rush opposite of Clay), an OT (Clifton possibly gone, Sherrod still a ?) and possibly a Safety if Nick Collins has to retire. That is 6 picks right there. If he picks up free agents, that is solving a short term problem. This is why he got Saturday, and is going after Anthony Hargrove, Dave Tollefson, and possibly Demetraius Bell. He realizes he has to get big guys early in the draft and needs to fix the defense quickly. I don't think TT will trade up unless he picks up a bit more free agents because of all the needs.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. HyponGrey

HyponGrey Caseus Locutus Est

Ratings:
    +1,030
    Any chance that Ted finally got fed up with the fan's griping and said "You want free agents? Fine, I'll give you free agents. See how this turns out!" No? I didn't think so either. Your idea could possibly be the case, but my personal opinion is that he is just bringing in depth.

12. Croak

Croak Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Ratings:
    +1,987
  13. 13 Times Champs

13 Times Champs Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,379
    I bet Ted doesn't know for sure what he will do just yet. If he sees things developing in a certain way he may jump or things may dictate that it's better to just sit tight. How about that for a prediction? ;)

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Croak

Croak Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Ratings:
    +1,987
    Sheesh, I can't believe how much I'm agreeing with you lately. I think I better go see a doc.

• Like Like x 1
  15. 13 Times Champs

Ratings:
    +1,379
    Croak, take two aspirin and call me in the am. ;)

16. Bagadeez04

Bagadeez04 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +147
    Not exactly like Ted has gone crazy here..the only guy of note he brought in is Jeff Saturday. Manny Lawson re-signed with Cinci and it looks like The Hargrove thing aint happening.

I don't see a trade up in the first happening much more than #20.

17. warhawk

warhawk Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +38
    Actually, I see this as a potentially frustrating draft for Ted but he will still come out good however it falls.

I say this because it looks like there will be a lot of good players through around #45 or #50 but that presents a problem for him finding a partner to trade down with. A lot of good players at different positions early on in the 2nd round. Who is going to be at 28 that some team has to have?
    If a really good player drops then shouldn't Ted just take him rather than get ahold of more picks?

It looks like the talent level from #28 to about middle second round is pretty darn close together. I see it hard for Ted to find a team to bite. I could see him trade UP possibly if he could get a Hightower or Cox around #20 although that's not what he likes to do.

18. NelsonsLongCatch

Ratings:
    +850
    Like I've said before, I LOVE the idea of competition. Make the guys on the team feel less comfortable... that they're guaranteed a spot. Competition brings out the best in people.

19. Bagadeez04

Bagadeez04 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +147
    Let's face it, this front seven needs a lot more than competition...they need a serious infusion of talent.

I was actually kind of liking the idea of getting Hargrove, then trading up for a guy like Fletcher Cox. That would give us CM3, Raji, Hargrove and Cox in passing situations. I know it's not the ideal 3-4 ...but I think that combo could bring the heat! (though not looking like Hargrove is happening)

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. 13 Times Champs

Ratings:
    +1,379
    For all the talk about free agent signings we have only Saturday to date. That won't do it in my opinion. Like the previous poster said our needs won't be addresssed entirely in this draft.

21. SpartaChris

SpartaChris Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +965
    I love this notion that somehow our team has a ton of holes to fill. No, we really don't. We need someone on the defensive line who can help bring pressure, and an outside linebacker who can get to the quarterback. For all we know, those guys may already be on the roster. Only time, OTA's and training camp will tell. Oh, and depending on Nick Collins, we might need a new safety. That's it. Two holes to fill, maybe three. Since that's not a lot of holes to fill, I see no reason why we can't fill them through the draft.

22. PackFanNChiTown

PackFanNChiTown Bear Fan's Bane

Ratings:
    +368
    Was hoping we'd focus on a starting D-lineman in FA to bring an immediate impact, the draft doesn't usually produce talent that can start right out of the proverbial gate.

Good thing TT has forgotten more about acquiring players than we'll ever know! :)

23. 13 Times Champs

Ratings:
    +1,379
    Agree. I don't see the upcoming draft paying ALL the immediate dividends needed to make the necessary improvement in the defense in the 2012 season.

24. 13 Times Champs

Ratings:
    +1,379
    Totally agree OLB, DL and Safety are needs to be addressed. Also, Hawk is a liability at ILB. Maybe Smith can step in there but with Hawk on the field it's a weakness. Whether that's a ton or not( ??) to me it is critical they be taken care of.

25. PackFanNChiTown

PackFanNChiTown Bear Fan's Bane

Ratings:
    +368
    Sure we can fill them through the draft, but unless we get a starting caliber safety in the draft we're stuck with Charlie Peprah :poop: as the starter again for another year should Collins not return.

• Winner Winner x 1