Fire Mark Murphy?

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Never liked him I know it's tough to replace bob Harlan but Murphy is a sad excuse
Very well said. When I suggested Harlan was a better football guy, I was reminded that Murphy played in the NFL and Harlan didn’t. That’s all true, but I think most people had more faith in Harlan than they do in Murphy.

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Agreed. It scares me to think that Murphy will have an outsized voice in the selection of a HC. I’d rather leave that to Gluten.

He indicated though that Gute will only be working with someone he feels comfortable with. But yeah, really thought he would give the hiring power reins back to the GM.

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
2 - In Sept. of this year the NFL was practically in open warfare against Clay Matthews, penalizing him on clean sacks and then using him as the poster child of unfair hits on QB's like he was some kind of monster. What was Murphy's response? He just shrugged his shoulders and said this is what the league wants and he supports the NFL ('go ahead and poop all over my $15/million a year OLB, I don't care').

And what was he supposed to do, pray tell? There is an inherent problem with allowing owners to dictate how games involving their teams are officiated. Not sure why you don't understand that.

Ogsponge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And what was he supposed to do, pray tell? There is an inherent problem with allowing owners to dictate how games involving their teams are officiated. Not sure why you don't understand that.
Uh, you quoted the wrong guy somehow

Scotland Yard

What the hell is going on around here!
Reaction score

I understand that other teams do in fact stick up for their own players:

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/...r-penalty-on-cowboys-troy-aikman-blasts-rule/

Murphy is on the competition committee, so, he seems to be more interested in defending that committee than governing and managing the Green Bay Packers.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He indicated though that Gute will only be working with someone he feels comfortable with. But yeah, really thought he would give the hiring power reins back to the GM.
And maybe that’s the case. Hopefully Gluten has the final say on the HC and Murphy “rubber stamps” it as the CEO. I like what Gluten has done in his short time as GM, and given how closely the HC works with the GM, it’s gotta be a guy gluten is happy with.

Sort of related - the new HC should be given the authority to hire his own coordinators. I like Pettine and hope he stays, but in the same vein, the HC has to be close with the people working for him. I don’t think Philbin will be around at all next year, and Zook is waaaaaay past his “sell by” date.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not sold hes 100% putting together a winning formula as much as he is getting as much revenue as he can help generate. Idc if he played in the NFL, the guy comes across as a money hungry egomaniac. He’s trying to be the GM, the CEO, and the bookie. He should’ve stepped in years ago and fired Capers, and had Ted Thompson step down if he was so concerned. Now the roster is trash and the season is wasted for having lame duck coaches.

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not sold hes 100% putting together a winning formula as much as he is getting as much revenue as he can help generate. Idc if he played in the NFL, the guy comes across as a money hungry egomaniac. He’s trying to be the GM, the CEO, and the bookie. He should’ve stepped in years ago and fired Capers, and had Ted Thompson step down if he was so concerned. Now the roster is trash and the season is wasted for having lame duck coaches.

I agree on the Thompson part, tough thing is we couldn't anticipate that he was about to fall off the levvy in 2015. We can only see it with 20/20 hindsight.

Now, obviously MM should have had the stones to figure a change at DC was warranted, but a CEO stepping in and overriding him on his coaching staff would have caused more bad than good. Say what you will, but I seen too many cases where meddling owners/CEOs got in the coach's way and wrecked the franchise.

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I understand that other teams do in fact stick up for their own players:

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/...r-penalty-on-cowboys-troy-aikman-blasts-rule/

Murphy is on the competition committee, so, he seems to be more interested in defending that committee than governing and managing the Green Bay Packers.

Just because a few owners like to stick their noses where it doesn't belong doesn't mean Murphy should. For starters, this isn't the same situation. Owners answer to no one. Murphy answers to the board of trustees. It's also pointless and even sometimes counter-productive to do what you suggest.

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i don't get the Murphy hate. he's more than qualified to do what he does. he's doing what any owner would do and that's run the business side and he's done a great job. the club needs the revenue streams he's brought to stay viable. the football side went into a ditch with Thompson's health and Russ Ball trying to cover for him. He's now given the gm job to Gute (which you must agree seems like a good decision) who's never been a gm. with the McCarthy/Ball friction, and Gute's relative inexperience, he tried to take a more watchful role in football matters. he's not trying to do Gute's job. he just doesn't want to get burned again. he's taking care of the company. and remember he reports to the board who obviously has given him their confidence. the only thing anyone could possibly fault him for was not keeping an eye on/trusting future HOF'er Thompson. something he's clearly not going to do again.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
i don't get the Murphy hate. he's more than qualified to do what he does. he's doing what any owner would do and that's run the business side and he's done a great job. the club needs the revenue streams he's brought to stay viable. the football side went into a ditch with Thompson's health and Russ Ball trying to cover for him. He's now given the gm job to Gute (which you must agree seems like a good decision) who's never been a gm. with the McCarthy/Ball friction, and Gute's relative inexperience, he tried to take a more watchful role in football matters. he's not trying to do Gute's job. he just doesn't want to get burned again. he's taking care of the company. and remember he reports to the board who obviously has given him their confidence. the only thing anyone could possibly fault him for was not keeping an eye on/trusting future HOF'er Thompson. something he's clearly not going to do again.
Agreed with your post, but I don't know enough about Russ Ball's involvement or lack of, in actually being involved in the decision to retain or let a player go, other than the contract being proposed and how it effects the cap. Which he has been praised over and over for, that he is a great cap guy. If he is influencing the decision with "cap bias projections intended to influence the decisions made by Gute", than I would think that is an issue.

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Agreed with your post, but I don't know enough about Russ Ball's involvement or lack of, in actually being involved in the decision to retain or let a player go, other than the contract being proposed and how it effects the cap. Which he has been praised over and over for, that he is a great cap guy. If he is influencing the decision with "cap bias projections intended to influence the decisions made by Gute", than I would think that is an issue.
agree that he's a great cap guy but there is/was plenty of talk about his involvement in the hyde/hayword debacle. i believe that was one of the things that irked McCarthy.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
agree that he's a great cap guy but there is/was plenty of talk about his involvement in the hyde/hayword debacle. i believe that was one of the things that irked McCarthy.
I didn't hear about Ball's involvement with that, but I would put that on the coaches for not knowing what they potentially had either. If Ball someone how made them believe Hayward wasn't worth what the Chargers paid him, then Whitt and Capers should have been saying "are you kidding me, do you know what this kid is capable of?" But I don't think Whitt or Capers knew what they had in either player and had they stayed in Green Bay, we may never have seen it.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Come on, I'm going to go all the way back to middle school here and say I'd bet my left nut, Capers and Whitt and MM and everyone else on that team knew what they had in Hayward. They also knew they had 2 first year investments that just finished a pretty successful year and one of the league's best in Shields coming back. Hayward not coming back was a money move and nobody batted on eye on here when it happened either.

and Hyde, to me, still is just a decent football player. I still wouldn't sign him to what the Bills did and outside of coming out of the gates like a madman last year with INT's after a position switch, i bet over the course of his time, will have a very similar style production he had here. and we had Burnett and HaHa was still trying to play I guess and had just come off a pro bowl. he wasn't going to get paid starter safety money to be a back up, and he was too limited to really be anything more than a back up DB. Again a money move.

Southside

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The 63 year old Murphy is an arrogant man. However, he backs that up with advanced degrees and a boat load of football experience as a player and an administrator and leader. The Packers are lucky to have him and would find it nearly impossible to find a replacement equal to or greater than him. He really is good at what he does. Let's see how he does in finding a new head coach for the Green Bay Packers. There should be no doubt he'll be making the final decision. Don't be shocked if he hires his old friend Pat Fitzgerald from Northwestern. I hope not, but you never know.

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The 63 year old Murphy is an arrogant man. However, he backs that up with advanced degrees and a boat load of football experience as a player and an administrator and leader. The Packers are lucky to have him and would find it nearly impossible to find a replacement equal to or greater than him. He really is good at what he does. Let's see how he does in finding a new head coach for the Green Bay Packers. There should be no doubt he'll be making the final decision. Don't be shocked if he hires his old friend Pat Fitzgerald from Northwestern. I hope not, but you never know.

Pat Fitzgerald is definitely a possibility, although I'm not sure how #12 would feel about a college coach. Contrary to the noise coming out of 1265 Lombardi Ave., what Aaron thinks....matters. And it should.

A couple of other names.....Joe Lombardi, & Pete Carmichael, both of the Saints. Offensive-minded guys.

It'll be awhile before we know.

LambeauLombardi

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Pat Fitzgerald is definitely a possibility, although I'm not sure how #12 would feel about a college coach. Contrary to the noise coming out of 1265 Lombardi Ave., what Aaron thinks....matters. And it should.

A couple of other names.....Joe Lombardi, & Pete Carmichael, both of the Saints. Offensive-minded guys.

It'll be awhile before we know.

He's already my most hated college coach (as an Iowa fan), if he goes like 22-26 the next 3 years and gets fired, he'll also become my most hated pro coach.

Scotland Yard

Reaction score
Just because a few owners like to stick their noses where it doesn't belong doesn't mean Murphy should. For starters, this isn't the same situation. Owners answer to no one. Murphy answers to the board of trustees. It's also pointless and even sometimes counter-productive to do what you suggest.

Counter-productive? Only with pretzel logic. Cowboys are in first place and positioned to make the playoffs with QB Prescott and a beat up O-line. They are winning games and the Packers are not, your argument is pointless.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Counter-productive? Only with pretzel logic. Cowboys are in first place and positioned to make the playoffs with QB Prescott and a beat up O-line. They are winning games and the Packers are not, your argument is pointless.
When was the last time the Cowboys won anything? He may have gotten one marginally right 1x in the past 15 years and that's proof?

Reaction score
Yeah fire Mike Mccarthy! I mean Mark Mccarthy! Oh wait, uh Mike Murphy! Yeah fire him! Oh wait thats not right. Hey who are we firing next?

Scotland Yard

Reaction score
When was the last time the Cowboys won anything? He may have gotten one marginally right 1x in the past 15 years and that's proof?
I don't understand your point. Poster said what Jerry Jones said regarding the new roughing penalty rules is "counter-productive". Jones said that earlier this year, so, it could only be counter-productive after he said it, right? How could it have been counter-productive to 15 seasons ago?

And the play of the Cowboys after he said that is 6-3. So, how were Jones' comments "counter-productive" or harmful to his team in any way, shape or form?

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Agreed. While I won't pretend and say I follow everything the Cowpokes do, I seem to hear a lot of negatives about the organization. Hell, even their "biggest fan" Skip **** Payless went postal on them earlier in the year. Although, now that they are leading a weak division, I am sure he is back on board!

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't understand your point. Poster said what Jerry Jones said regarding the new roughing penalty rules is "counter-productive". Jones said that earlier this year, so, it could only be counter-productive after he said it, right? How could it have been counter-productive to 15 seasons ago?

And the play of the Cowboys after he said that is 6-3. So, how were Jones' comments "counter-productive" or harmful to his team in any way, shape or form?
I wasn't following along very well I guess.

Well beyond that, I'd say he's hurt his team more than he's helped them by sticking his nose into everything. He's rich, i'll give him that. They'd have won more had he let the football guys run the football stuff.

Members online

Latest posts