Fire Joe Barry -- Updated -- he's gone

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Folks remember when Donnatell got fired for 4th and 26? The defense that season was actually not that bad.
and it was in a rather non respectful manner as I've heard. And he's still coaching a pretty decent defense today.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
and it was in a rather non respectful manner as I've heard. And he's still coaching a pretty decent defense today.
That 4th and 26 conversion was because rookie Nick Barnett did not quite understand the 26. Somehow he hung back like he would in a Hail Mary D. What angered fans was that the Packers were blitzing all day and sacked McNabb 11 times! So instead of a blitz he drops back coverage. Almost like when Fritz Shurmur went with the 3 man rush on Steve Young and Owens made the catch.

Packerbacker1996

Cheesehead
Reaction score
DO NOT fire Joe Barry.

I repeat: DO NOT.

The absolute LAST thing this team needs is to light a fire under the defense, win meaningless games, lower their draft position, and stave off the transition from Rodgers to Love.

Let him mislead the team for the remainder of the season.
I disagree. It is exactly what this team needs, especially the defensive players.
They need to see that the organization is doing something about it and the underperformed need to go on Notice.

If I'm Gute. I'm doing 1v1 interviews with all the players and if anyone doesn't want to be here it's either the axe or trade.

AKCheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
How did GB not call timeout on 4th and 26 get their crap together

Pugger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I just searched NFL Coordinators salaries & they range from $1Mil-$4Mil (for the high end/long tenured guys like Josh McDaniels was and Todd Bowles). Jim Leonard made $1.5Mil this past year at Wisconsin... GB would have to throw a lot of $$ at him to get him to leave his comfy-zone at UW & move his family to GB, I'm guessing.
Of course if the new Badger HC wants his own guys Leonard might be looking for another job pretty soon.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
How did GB not call timeout on 4th and 26 get their crap together
Well. It was mainly because it was the Eagles that needed to get their crap together. Why do you think they were pinned back at 4th and 26? We sacked them. McNabb escaping was their only hope. And it was highly unlikely he can get 26 yards with his feet. Donnatell should have stayed with the pressure. And the Eagles had no Randy Moss on their team. To let Freddie Mitchell have all that space and McNabb all that time was foolish.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
One week off isn't time to conduct a thorough coaching search, just my opinion. Also, coaches don't really take that week as a vacation.
"Quick! He's gone! Push his desk out into the hall."

The main point, for me at least, is that MLF did a terrible job of hiring a DC and, once his first choice was priced out, settled for a guy that everyone knew was a terrible DC.
Yeah, a disappointing early test for MLF, especially considering the history of this team.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Folks remember when Donnatell got fired for 4th and 26? The defense that season was actually not that bad.
I always thought that was a big scapegoat firing and Donnatell did not deserve it. Funny how The Pack hardly fires anyone but an actually decent coach.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Change moves like a glacier in Green Bay. Too often it takes too long to replace underperforming coaches or players. I actually wouldn't be shocked to see Barry as the defensive coordinator again next season.

Reaction score
I’ll pay for a 1 Way Ticket out of town

Wait. How much is a Greyhound Bus these days?

D

Deleted member 6794

Being a Packets fan, I'm used to seeing a lot of bad defense, but last night was a new low. Over 360 yards of rushing given up! Let that sink in. Pathetic. Joe Barry should clean out his desk when he gets back to Green Bay. He has no adjustments to slow down a running qb and the d line stood up and was pushed around.

It wasn't only a lack of adjustments but they didn't have a decent gameplan to contain Hurts entering the game after having 10 days to prepare.

I know the Eagle running offense is mighty powerful. But some teams have found a way to slow them down.

It's true the Eagles feature a good running offense, entering the Packers game averaging 142.5 yards per game. But it's completely unacceptable giving up 363 rushing yards no matter what.

In truth maybe it tells you what the FO thought about our championship prospects this season. Perhaps they simply didn't see it as realistic because I have to think that any serious contender would not have continued to employ this guy for nearly as long as we have.

I don't think that's true. Unfortunately the Packers have been too loyal to a lot of coaches in the past which might have resulted in them falling short of winning at least another championship.

Barry is a clueless loser. I wonder what the Packers' record for most yards given up in a game. Barry has got to be close if not the worst. He needs to go NOW!

The 500 yards given up vs. the Eagles on Sunday ranks tied for 25th most in Packers history. The record currently stands at 611 yards vs. the Rams in 1956.

You think that in-between game planning sessions, MLF has loads of time to conduct an in-depth DC search? I'm not sure you've read about the truly unhealthy lifestyles these NFL head coaches lead during the season.

The way the Packers are unprepared entering games it seems the coaching staff doesn't spend enough time on opponents anyway.

Hopefully the search is a bit more intelligent this time around.

Hopefully there's a search for another DC in the first place.

AKCheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So to review the bidding. The guy interviewed for the job. Got SELECTED for the job - then said “nah, I don’t want it”. Then he gets fired from the job he DOES have … so now maybe we’d want to hire him for the job we tried to give him 2 years ago? Hey - if that’s what happens I hope it works out but… that does not sound like an optimal situation.

Magooch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Saw and update to this thread and thought for a second perhaps Barry had actually been axed somehow.

Disappointed. ;)

McKnowledge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I disagree. It is exactly what this team needs, especially the defensive players.
They need to see that the organization is doing something about it and the underperformed need to go on Notice.

If I'm Gute. I'm doing 1v1 interviews with all the players and if anyone doesn't want to be here it's either the axe or trade.

Can't argue with that sentiment.

I think real substantial exit interviews are needed here.

This season is a direct indictment of the MLF/Gute regime.

Poor decisions have produced bad results.

Self-audit isn't a bad thing.

lambeaulambo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So to review the bidding. The guy interviewed for the job. Got SELECTED for the job - then said “nah, I don’t want it”. Then he gets fired from the job he DOES have … so now maybe we’d want to hire him for the job we tried to give him 2 years ago? Hey - if that’s what happens I hope it works out but… that does not sound like an optimal situation.
thats how it is at NEPOTISM U. He walked on as a player - they I feel WILL REGRET letting him go. Good to decent DC candidate. I want Rex Ryan - but he might be too long in the tooth. MLF goes 9-8 again next year and he'll be weaseling his way back to TN SF or LA.

Team Ronny

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That 4th and 26 conversion was because rookie Nick Barnett did not quite understand the 26. Somehow he hung back like he would in a Hail Mary D. What angered fans was that the Packers were blitzing all day and sacked McNabb 11 times! So instead of a blitz he drops back coverage. Almost like when Fritz Shurmur went with the 3 man rush on Steve Young and Owens made the catch.

That play was terrible..but Sherman not going for it on 4th and 1 after they were running over Phillys defense all day..is INEXCUSABLE!! They also had a backup dt in who was getting pushed around all game. Then the next series Farve chucks up a Haymarket that's easily picked off.

Reaction score
Our job isn’t to be a nice guy or make friends. Our job first and foremost is to annihilate our opponent using the full weight of the resources we have acquired. If we want to be friends, let’s do it after we Win.
As a Coordinator to Coach? You’re no longer my friend if you directly contribute to a losing environment and make my life miserable by doing so. With friends like that? we don’t need enemies.

Goodbye Joe.

This is the funniest thing I’ve seen on Wiki. I suppose even they have a sense of humor!
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

lambeaulambo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Our job isn’t to be a nice guy or make friends. Our job first and foremost is to annihilate our opponent using the full weight of the resources we have acquired. If we want to be friends, let’s do it after we Win.
As a Coordinator to Coach? You’re no longer my friend if you directly contribute to a losing environment and make my life miserable by doing so. With friends like that? we don’t need enemies.

Goodbye Joe.

This is the funniest thing I’ve seen on Wiki. I suppose even they have a sense of humor!
I thought he was about the same age as buggy...he deserves a propour flopping and a red card.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score

Goodbye Joe.

Lol...have seen those wiki pages hijacked before. Think there has been one done on both Graham Mertz and Paul Chryst. Also, if memory serves me correctly, last year after Rodgers "I own you" to Bear fans. The Chicago Bears wiki page said something like "The Chicago Bears are an NFL Team, currently owned by Aaron Rodgers."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts