Fire Joe Barry -- Updated -- he's gone

Status
Not open for further replies.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree. What frightened Sherman was that just before halftime we were 1st and goal on the 5 after a long Ahman Green run. Due to his asthma he had to come out for a couple plays. Favre went to Bubba Franks who appeared to be held. Then 3 runs into the line and they stopped us. But 2 quarters later their run D was spent. Even the Eagles admitted it. Even IF they stopped it they do not gain much. Bidwell's punt was a touchback. Had this been a home gain I believe Sherman goes for it.

OkieCheesehead

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Pretty sure Barry's track record speaks for itself.

Anyway, we keep drafting and grabbing high profile defensive players, but never crack the top 5 defensively. I was willing to give LaFleur and co the benefit of the doubt when they hired Barry, but he has proved the critics right. He ain't nothing but a flunky.

I don't have a problem with letting Pettine go, but if you're going to do that, at least get an upgrade over him ffs
Yes times a million. I knew the Barry hire would be a disaster before he even put his defensive unit on the field. Look at his track record wherever he has been. It’s been abysmal. We need quality candidates for DC.

OkieCheesehead

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yes times a million. I knew the Barry hire would be a disaster before he even put his defensive unit on the field. Look at his track record wherever he has been. It’s been abysmal. We need quality candidates for DC.
And also for the love of all things good, don’t promote from within.

D

Deleted member 6794

As a DC Rexy was pretty darn good..oh the good ol days of loudmouth..lol

There's no doubt Ryan was a great defensive coordinator but after six years out of football there's no reason to hire him at this point.

Lol...have seen those wiki pages hijacked before. Think there has been one done on both Graham Mertz and Paul Chryst. Also, if memory serves me correctly, last year after Rodgers "I own you" to Bear fans. The Chicago Bears wiki page said something like "The Chicago Bears are an NFL Team, currently owned by Aaron Rodgers."

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
Lol...have seen those wiki pages hijacked before. Think there has been one done on both Graham Mertz and Paul Chryst. Also, if memory serves me correctly, last year after Rodgers "I own you" to Bear fans. The Chicago Bears wiki page said something like "The Chicago Bears are an NFL Team, currently owned by Aaron Rodgers."
I wasn’t aware of that. Caught me by surprise kinda gave me a chuckle. Guess I’m gullible

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I wasn’t aware of that. Caught me by surprise kinda gave me a chuckle. Guess I’m gullible
I have never looked at how you become a "member", but Wiki allows "ordinary people" to update their postings. While you are supposed to only type in facts, often people like to have fun and insert funny things.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Barry was presumably hired to bring to Green Bay the system that has been "in vogue" and most effective in recent seasons-- one that uses an abundance of 2 high coverages. Instead, he majored in cover 1 and cover 3, an approach that rose in popularity during the heyday of Seattle's Legion of Boom, but which NFL offenses figured out and have been carving up with ease for a while now. The team had to hit desperation mode before he made necessary changes, and one wonders if they were even initiated by him.

Don't get me wrong, I am all in rooting for the Packers to make the playoffs and go as far as possible. But I really hope a run doesn't result in retention of Barry.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Barry was presumably hired to bring to Green Bay the system that has been "in vogue" and most effective in recent seasons-- one that uses an abundance of 2 high coverages. Instead, he majored in cover 1 and cover 3, an approach that rose in popularity during the heyday of Seattle's Legion of Boom, but which NFL offenses figured out and have been carving up with ease for a while now. The team had to hit desperation mode before he made necessary changes, and one wonders if they were even initiated by him.

Don't get me wrong, I am all in rooting for the Packers to make the playoffs and go as far as possible. But I really hope a run doesn't result in retention of Barry.

I don't mind retention of him IF it is the version of him since the bye...but what we've been running isn't even necessarily his normal D...so why retain him...

Magooch

Cheesehead
Reaction score

That's about where I'm at.

I'm glad for the turnaround in recent weeks but I have a hard time believing that after nearly two full seasons here something finally clicked and he decided to make all these changes solely of his own accord.

And even if said changes WERE 100% Barry's own ideas - the fact that it took so long to figure as much out in the first place is not exactly an endorsement, either.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
This article outlines the changes which have seemingly projected this team where we find ourselves now since the Bye.

Really good article, thanks for sharing.

6 Weeks ago, Barry was all but gone. I think most Packers fans wanted him fired immediately following several games. As the article pointed out, Barry may have saved his job or maybe his fate was already sealed? I do agree with the premise that the article stated: "Oh yeah, and players are actually executing". However, is that because Barry has finally changed things up and put the players in a position of being able to execute, as well as other factors like: Offense is playing better, Campbell is back from injury, attitude shifts of players when things start working, etc.

Unless the Packers make a run, that will be talked about forever, with a Super Bowl win, they will eventually lose a game this season and the season will be over. If Barry's job is still in jeopardy, how they play before and during that loss, might be the tipping point.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If the Packers make the playoffs and Joe Barry is therefore retained as DC, then this season was awful. Short of winning the Super Bowl, there is no reason that Barry should be back at DC next season (and I'd still want him replaced even if the Packers win the Super Bowl). Maybe Barry has changed and learned but nobody will convince me that an even mediocre DC should take 3 seasons to finally figure out how to call/coach a decent defense. Barry has been a terrible DC at every stop in the NFL and there's a lesson to be learned in that.

Reaction score
If the Packers make the playoffs and Joe Barry is therefore retained as DC, then this season was awful. Short of winning the Super Bowl, there is no reason that Barry should be back at DC next season (and I'd still want him replaced even if the Packers win the Super Bowl). Maybe Barry has changed and learned but nobody will convince me that an even mediocre DC should take 3 seasons to finally figure out how to call/coach a decent defense. Barry has been a terrible DC at every stop in the NFL and there's a lesson to be learned in that.
I am torn. I somewhat agree with various points about Barry and his earlier failures. That said, good Coaching in general for me includes the ability of that DC/staff to make necessary adjustments. Seems to me if we graded ourselves on adjusting we’d score well. Just my opinion

The past is the past. Aside of a Week12 pouncing by Philly, we haven’t given up more than 28 points to anyone all season. Since that game @ Philly we’ve held opponents to 17 points per game. At first it was discounted because of WHO it was. By the Miami the excuses were popping up faster than Wildflowers in Springtime. Everyone says it would end with Minnesota’s Dangerous passing game. Yet here we are. At some point we’ve got to give credit due to our success and call a spade a spade. Barry gets blame early on and Barry should get accolades if he continues this nice run.

Barry has partially redeemed himself but it’s all about consistency for me. Let Barry earn his job. We are each smart enough to know if an earlier exit is his fault or not. He’s 1 solid Detroit game from erasing some early season woes. This Detroit Offense is no slouch they’ve got good balance with a dual headed running attack and a nice mix of receiving weapons. For me Barry’s job will ride on postseason success. Carry us to another NFC game or SB??
I suppose I can offer a lot of forgiveness.

Last edited:

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I don't mind retention of him IF it is the version of him since the bye...but what we've been running isn't even necessarily his normal D...so why retain him...

My problem is that no matter what you do in this league, offenses will catch up to it and beat it. Great coordinators adapt. Barry has demonstrated that he takes WAY too long to figure out how to do that.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've wondered if it's Barry who has been slow to abandon what doesn't work, and move on, or if his ability to make that change has been hampered by the Head Coach, and possibly even the GM, who might not want to seem them rely on "soon to be" free agents who will chomp too much out of the cap?

It seems like there's so many little stories beneath the surface happening, where they weren't the issues that dictated what happened on the field, in the past.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've wondered if it's Barry who has been slow to abandon what doesn't work, and move on, or if his ability to make that change has been hampered by the Head Coach, and possibly even the GM, who might not want to seem them rely on "soon to be" free agents who will chomp too much out of the cap?

It seems like there's so many little stories beneath the surface happening, where they weren't the issues that dictated what happened on the field, in the past.
Man, I hope not. I don't think it is in your best interest not to use the best players you can so that you can get a relatively untested player on a cheap deal.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am torn. I somewhat agree with various points about Barry and his earlier failures. That said, good Coaching in general for me includes the ability of that DC/staff to make necessary adjustments. Seems to me if we graded ourselves on adjusting we’d score well. Just my opinion

The past is the past. Aside of a Week12 pouncing by Philly, we haven’t given up more than 28 points to anyone all season. Since that game @ Philly we’ve held opponents to 17 points per game. At first it was discounted because of WHO it was. By the Miami the excuses were popping up faster than Wildflowers in Springtime. Everyone says it would end with Minnesota’s Dangerous passing game. Yet here we are. At some point we’ve got to give credit due to our success and call a spade a spade. Barry gets blame early on and Barry should get accolades if he continues this nice run.

Barry has partially redeemed himself but it’s all about consistency for me. Let Barry earn his job. We are each smart enough to know if an earlier exit is his fault or not. He’s 1 solid Detroit game from erasing some early season woes. This Detroit Offense is no slouch they’ve got good balance with a dual headed running attack and a nice mix of receiving weapons. For me Barry’s job will ride on postseason success. Carry us to another NFC game or SB??
I suppose I can offer a lot of forgiveness.
I don’t believe Barry has adjusted. I think he has been forced by the players/and or Lefleur to play a more aggressive style… I would expect a regression eventually.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't want to believe Barry would be pushing the wrong guys onto the field either. I think it's part of the question of, "Where do we go from here?," when we lose so many guys after this year. Are there guys out there that can be effective, if we play a certain way that plays into their talents more, than just plug them into an existing system?

Granted, the coaches and players are looking at this year, but the GM, his staff, and all the way up the ladder, are looking at long term goals, far beyond the results at the end of this season. The only people that have the luxury of going one game at a time are the players, and the coaches, under multiple year contracts.

Let's face it. We can't prove it, but we do know that a lot of teams tank seasons, when they realize their only hope for vast improvement could be that guy in the upcoming draft, that can make your team a winner. The QB derby comes to mind on this one. There are never enough of them to go around, at the right price.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I don’t believe Barry has adjusted. I think he has been forced by the players/and or Lefleur to play a more aggressive style… I would expect a regression eventually.
I keep coming back to that too. Kind of like Capers being held on to way too long. Both TT and MM wanted him to succeed and when he showed a few signs of it, they kept him.

Barry has been given a ton of talent/resources spent, to work with. Really too much IMO, to the detriment of the offense. Like some of you have said, did Barry finally hit the right switches to make things work or was it just a matter MLF and others pushing for changes that have worked, so far.

Ultimately, as fans, all we can do is trust the system and it will be up to MLF, Gute and whoever else weighs in on these things, who will be the DC after this season.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Unless we see a total melt down on Sunday, and that forcing the Packers season to end, Barry will more than likely be back next year.

Reaction score
Adjustments are both Macro and Micro.
Since week 8 we have allowed a total of 17 points in the 4th quarter and OT. 14 of those points were in Garbage time last week after we pulled our starters.

That means 3 points were scored in nearly 9 quarters over 8 contests (including OT). We’ve completely dominated in the end of games 4th quarter.
The only reason I knew that is the stat came up by the announcers as they commented on our dominant Defensive performance last week.

I’m not saying I necessarily love Barry. But if we’re talking in game adjustments that’s a pretty impressive stat. Someone show me 1 NFL team that had allowed less than 3 points in 4th quarter since week 8 this season.

Last edited:
Reaction score
We actually started strong overall from a points perspective. It was our Offense that sputtered badly. A league average Offense would’ve put 2 or 3 or those losses away. We should easily be 10-6 right now had our Offense not sputtered through the first 9 weeks.

I’m just pointing out that our team in general has been like a teeter totter. One month the Offense sucks. One month the Defense sucks. Our Defense is primarily what has been winning games lately. That goal line stand was a thing of beauty to start last week. Good Defenses should be able to do that and we’re starting to see our D gel and that’s without Rashan.

I’m just saying. Let Barry hang himself or cut the noose with a pocket knife. If this D run continues at some point we have to come to terms with he’s part of it. and Vice versa

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Latest posts