Fire Joe Barry -- Updated -- he's gone

Status
Not open for further replies.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
MLF is not a rush decision maker, I don't think that would mean much truthfully.
Yeah I would agree. I honestly wasn't expecting a word on Barry's future for at least a week after our last game, maybe 2.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I have to assume if you think that Joe Barry is "fine", you do not think we have enough talent on defense to be a top 5 or 10 defense.

If you do believe that we do, Barry is clearly underachieving.

While I think that the Packers have good talent on defense, they are short 2 quality safeties, a CB as well an upgrade over Campbell at ILB. The DL is average, not great but average. Would a new DC improve them? Maybe, maybe not. There is no sure answer there, despite what Packer fans think. Just look at Capers----->Pettine----->Barry.

I've been on the band wagon to fire Barry for a long time, my point of talking about the last 4 games was that MLF may look at those and say "You know what, we were getting better on D, I am fine with Barry, we need better players."

Yeah I would agree. I honestly wasn't expecting a word on Barry's future for at least a week after our last game, maybe 2.

There are still 4 teams alive and maybe there is a coach on 1 of them MLF is interested in interviewing for the DC job. Also, a lot of coaches and teams are just figuring things out themselves. No need to rush the decision, unless they are set on firing Barry and the guy they want to target is ready to come in and talk.

games

Cheesehead
Reaction score
JB isn't going anywhere. MLF is going to let flames die down, and let a few truly viable candidates sign elsewhere.

Then, at some random press conference in March or April he will say "We evaluated all available DC candidates. We didn't see an available upgrade so we're going to stick with Joe Barry."

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
JB isn't going anywhere. MLF is going to let flames die down, and let a few truly viable candidates sign elsewhere.

Then, at some random press conference in March or April he will say "We evaluated all available DC candidates. We didn't see an available upgrade so we're going to stick with Joe Barry."
Agree. Except he will never say they shopped around. It will be more of, "broke it all down and really liked the direction the defense was headed."

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I really don't think that's going to happen. That's almost a carbon copy of what he said after last season because they ended 2022 hot and he expected them to build on it in 2023 and overall they did not.

Recency bias aside, 22nd, 20th, and 27th in DVOA does not scream "headed in the right direction."

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I really don't think that's going to happen. That's almost a carbon copy of what he said after last season because they ended 2022 hot and he expected them to build on it in 2023 and overall they did not.

Recency bias aside, 22nd, 20th, and 27th in DVOA does not scream "headed in the right direction."
Just curious where you got the DVOA numbers. Going into the final Week of the season, I found the numbers below. Everyone seems to have a different metrics for ranking and evaluating teams.

Here's a look at every NFL team's total DVOA and ranking heading into Week 18 of the 2023 season, according to FTN Fantasy.

1. Baltimore Ravens: 48.5%
2. San Francisco 49ers: 42.3%
3. Buffalo Bills: 22.8%
4. Kansas City Chiefs: 19.9%
5. Miami Dolphins: 19.0%
6. Dallas Cowboys: 17.0%
7. Detroit Lions: 14.6%
8. Cleveland Browns: 12.4%
9. Jacksonville Jaguars: 7.2%
10. Philadelphia Eagles: 6.7%
11. Pittsburgh Steelers: 5.8%
12. Houston Texans: 3.4%
13. Seattle Seahawks: 0.6%
14. Cincinnati Bengals: 0.6%
15. New Orleans Saints: -0.8%
16. Tampa Bay Buccaneers: -1.5%
17. Green Bay Packers: -1.8%
18. Los Angeles Rams: -2.1%
19. Indianapolis Colts: -3.2%
20. Chicago Bears: -4.6%
21. Los Angeles Chargers: -5.5%
22. Minnesota Vikings: -5.5%
23. Las Vegas Raiders: -8.0%
24. Denver Broncos: -9.8%
25. New England Patriots: -13.5%
26. New York Jets: -15.7%
27. Tennessee Titans: -16.0%
28. Atlanta Falcons: -16.8%
29. Arizona Cardinals: -20.3%
30. Washington Commanders: -24.9%
31. New York Giants: -32.9%
32. Carolina Panthers: -35.9%

Team Ronny

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Did SF need a stouter dline and better linebackers when AJ33 had his big run? Point being, you can't win them all.
My point is year after year, same old crap!! Get the lead, only to see the weakest front 7 in the nfl get marched right down the field for the game winning points! They play good for 3 3/4 of that game..then **** the bed when it matters most! Yeah the 49ers gave up Jones' 50 yd run..but their front 7 clamped down when they needed to!

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
It was rumored that Barry's contract was up after this season, but Matt Schneidman of The Athletic reported that that's not the case. These things tend to be murky, because coach contracts are not public like players' are.

I think that's a big deal. Letting Barry walk and firing him, while the same outcome, probably feel very different to LaFleur.

I don't think that seals it and he's back, but that is the outcome I would put money on. And it's the wrong move.

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My point is year after year, same old crap!! Get the lead, only to see the weakest front 7 in the nfl get marched right down the field for the game winning points! They play good for 3 3/4 of that game..then **** the bed when it matters most! Yeah the 49ers gave up Jones' 50 yd run..but their front 7 clamped down when they needed to!
Dude, take a few deep breaths before you burst an artery.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
You may have hit on the point, that is my issue with the Packers and the way they seem to play defense with a late lead. This has been going on since Capers. They actually don't often play with a "Front 7" in these situations.. They bring in extra DB's and play soft. Much like they do on 3rd and long.

When was the last time a WR caught one behind the Packers secondary? Probably has happened, but not often enough to play so soft, that by worrying about someone getting behind you, you are giving up way too much in front of you. Blitzing or lack there of, is another issue with Packer defenses. I just think that they don't do it enough in these situations. Heck, I would rather get beat on one big long play, then let the opposing team take 6 minutes off the clock. Allowing the opponent all the short open passes, scoring to take the lead and leaving little time left for the Packers offense is playing soft and scared.

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No need to insult other people on this site when they disagree with you. Ronny had a well reasoned argument that deserves a well reasoned response.
I didn't insult anyone!!! Don't you know on the internet, over-use of exclamation points tend to indicate anger?!! I simply found it humorous that anyone would respond that way to a simple comparative comment!!!

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
"Worst" is obviously a subjective measurement for something like "Worst DC", but none of this suggests "good DC."
A lot of the good things the defense has done this year seems like an illusion, they tend to fall apart under closer examination. But the thing that jumps out at me from that chart is that Barry's already lasted longer as DC in GB than anywhere else. It's like we're where DCs go to retire.

games

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It was rumored that Barry's contract was up after this season, but Matt Schneidman of The Athletic reported that that's not the case. These things tend to be murky, because coach contracts are not public like players' are.

I think that's a big deal. Letting Barry walk and firing him, while the same outcome, probably feel very different to LaFleur.

I don't think that seals it and he's back, but that is the outcome I would put money on. And it's the wrong move.
Funny you mention Barry's contract. Bill Huber reported today Barry has one year left but didn't attribute a source.

games

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Don't know why this bothers me, but I do know it somehow relates to Joe Barry.

Just a few minutes ago, the Bucks announced they're firing head coach, Adrian Griffin.
Halfway through the season:
— 30-13 record
— 2nd in East
— 1st in Offense
— 2nd in PPG
— 5th in 3PM
— 3rd in FG%

Back to discussion about keeping Joe Barry...

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
A lot of the good things the defense has done this year seems like an illusion, they tend to fall apart under closer examination. But the thing that jumps out at me from that chart is that Barry's already lasted longer as DC in GB than anywhere else. It's like we're where DCs go to retire.
Interesting enough, neither Capers or Pettine retired after leaving the Packers. Although both have been "coaching" under the term "senior defensive assistant". What ever the heck that means. A glorified title to let them live out a few more years in the NFL?

The Bears hired Pettine after he left the Packers, he only lasted a year. He has been with the Vikings ever since.

2021: Bears Record W/Pettine: 6-11
2022/2023: Vikings Record W/Pettine: 13-4/7-10

Capers on the other hand has been a "Senior Defensive Assistant" with a different team every season after leaving the Packers.

2019: Jaguars W/Capers: 6-10
2020: Vikings: 7-9
2021: Lions: 3-13-1
2022: Broncos: 5-12
2023: Panthers: 2-15

Now maybe it is too quick to jump to many conclusions about either Pettine or Capers, with their new teams. However, if final record is any indication of the jobs that they did, I have no clue why anyone would want Capers in their organization.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Usually the DC names his own staff, so first things first. Get a DC. Let the prognostication begin.

Usually...but Pettine left and Barry in with almost no other movement. I'm also hoping some other changes come with.

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Usually...but Pettine left and Barry in with almost no other movement. I'm also hoping some other changes come with.
Well, we know Barry had no idea what he was doing, so he probably didn't really have any of his own guys.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I like making the quick move this time. Need to start the process as early as possible to get the best possible candidates and staff. Need to get this one right.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Good news. He did good the last few games and I feared MLF may be swayed by that. We should be able to find better.

Status
Not open for further replies.