Fire Joe Barry -- Updated -- he's gone

Status
Not open for further replies.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sure, but I didn't feel like writing a whole paragraph about it. I simply provided the most common iteration, perhaps "defined by" wasn't the best choice of words. Either way, we weren't in a prevent defense on the last drive.
It sure was a bend don't break which is close enough. Not good enough to stop a field goal when they only need to get to the 40 yard line.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've literally never criticized Gute during this conversation. I've simply pointed out how much help Gute has had to provide to Barry for him to finally field a decent defense (implicitly criticizing the heck out of Barry).

I would love, LOVE for you to reach out to Benkert who specifically addressed Barry's style of defense at the end of the game.
You must be logged in to see this image or video!
And there are differences playing with 4-10 point lead or playing with a 0-3 point lead. And differences if they have the ball with 15 seconds or 60 seconds left. And differences if they have timeouts. Barry had to have thought Devito could not accurately throw downfield and he would just try to run and thus use up clock. I would have rather opted for pressure from the get go and if he beats our secondary so be it.

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I couldn't find the Packers redzone TD %. I am guessing from what I have been reading it is in the high 90s.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And there are differences playing with 4-10 point lead or playing with a 0-3 point lead. And differences if they have the ball with 15 seconds or 60 seconds left. And differences if they have timeouts. Barry had to have thought Devito could not accurately throw downfield and he would just try to run and thus use up clock. I would have rather opted for pressure from the get go and if he beats our secondary so be it.
And play tighter. imo Those catches are made easily and for bigger gains when you are on your heals. Bend don't break crap.

Team Ronny

Cheesehead
Reaction score
How many games has that happened this season alone? 4,5? We see the offense play just well enough to get the lead, then the crap fest on defense happens! Joe Barry is OUT of chances..he should be sending out resumes to be the next lb coach for Carolina!

Team Ronny

Cheesehead
Reaction score
On a side note, how bad is Jonathan Ford? You have a huge mountain of a man sitting on the bench who you refuse to activate, even though your run defense sucks. I wouldn't think he would be any worse!

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
How many games has that happened this season alone? 4,5? We see the offense play just well enough to get the lead, then the crap fest on defense happens! Joe Barry is OUT of chances..he should be sending out resumes to be the next lb coach for Carolina!
Or sometimes our D has kept us in it and the offense goes into crash mode on the game deciding drive like in Atlanta, Vegas, Denver, and Pittsburgh.

Team Ronny

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That defense **** the bed in the Atlanta game for sure! Yeah the offense could have been better, but, how many times do we see the offense finally get a lead, only to see the defense get pushed right down the field, and give up the lead? Vegas, Denver, and Pittsburgh this defense also gave up enough points to lose.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not sure you know what "nepotism" means though.

Nepotism - he practice among those with power or influence of favoring relatives, friends, or associates, especially by giving them jobs.

I.e., the only person that could possibly defend Joe Barry as stridently as yourself has to have either money or family honor at stake. This is a DC that, in his seven seasons as a DC (including this season), has never lead a defense that ranked better than 20th in DVOA.

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Nepotism - he practice among those with power or influence of favoring relatives, friends, or associates, especially by giving them jobs.

I.e., the only person that could possibly defend Joe Barry as stridently as yourself has to have either money or family honor at stake. This is a DC that, in his seven seasons as a DC (including this season), has never lead a defense that ranked better than 20th in DVOA.
I already said I'd be fine if they fired him at the end of the season. I've called for him to be fired in the past. But I'm not so obtuse that I can't acknowledge improvement where it exists.

To provide the appropriate context, I would score his first year in GB a D-. Last year he started off a solid F but then we allowed the second fewest points over the last 6 games and I'd give him a D+ on last season. This season I'd give them man a C at this point. But would I look to replace a C-level guy? Yeah, I would.

But you seem to believe improvement is not possible and should not be recognized. Whose view is "strident" here?

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is a DC that, in his seven seasons as a DC (including this season), has never lead a defense that ranked better than 20th in DVOA.
And another thing. I couldn't give two sh--s about DVOA. I care about the scoreboard and we're in the top third of the league insofar as points allowed.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just read an article that said MLF and Barry's offices are next to each other, they eat lunch together everyday, their best buds. Barry isn't going anywhere.

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just read an article that said MLF and Barry's offices are next to each other, they eat lunch together everyday, their best buds. Barry isn't going anywhere.
I would imagine that's pretty typical for a head coach and DC. But his best bud is Robert Saleh.

Krabs

I take offense to that sir.
Reaction score
It's hard for me to believe that they can keep Barry around after this season. Looks like they give up 4.6 yard per carry. If one does the math that would mean an opponent basically never has to pass against his defense. Makes it really hard to watch when guys like DeVito can slice and dice you with their legs. Woof!

I'm not a knee jerk "fire the coach" type of guy. Especially, when we have not had great success with previous DC's either. In this case, I'm ready for this dude to go. He's had multiple seasons with basically a defense built of first round draft picks. Give him the boot.

gonzozab

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's hard for me to believe that they can keep Barry around after this season. Looks like they give up 4.6 yard per carry. If one does the math that would mean an opponent basically never has to pass against his defense. Makes it really hard to watch when guys like DeVito can slice and dice you with their legs. Woof!

I'm not a knee jerk "fire the coach" type of guy. Especially, when we have not had great success with previous DC's either. In this case, I'm ready for this dude to go. He's had multiple seasons with basically a defense built of first round draft picks. Give him the boot.
Yeah, the only thing that scares me in firing Barry is the Packers have an uncanny knack for finding a DC that's even worse.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah, the only thing that scares me in firing Barry is the Packers have an uncanny knack for finding a DC that's even worse.
Yeah, firing him is one thing. But do they have any idea of who would take his place?

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jim Leonhard is still available, apparently not interested in any recent Big Ten DC positions. Possibly awaiting a collegiate HC job or NFL DC position?

Status
Not open for further replies.