Fire Capers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I don't think there is any question that Capers shouldn't be on the hot seat and a bad defensive showing in a loss to Detroit coupled with no playoffs, could potentially get him out of Green Bay. Otherwise, if the Packers win a few more games, we may see the same group back next year (including TT), unless they themselves decide to move on.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Here's all I need to read from the article you linked to that makes it pretty obvious Capers dud a terrible job of preparing for the read option:

Capers is getting paid several millions to prepare the Packers defense for an upcoming game. Him not expecting the Niners to run a read option offense is inexcusable.

Ok.....but did you actually read the rest of the article? Where it actually discusses and breaks down how the PLAYERS were at fault for getting shoved around and how the defensive scheme was actually a common scheme used against the read-option? Because it's this kind of reaction that keeps false narratives going. Was Capers terrific in that game? No. Was Capers the main problem in that game? No, the players were the biggest issue. Does it make fans feel better to blame one easily replaceable coach rather than actually understand the issues and realize that personnel was the problem? Yup.

And, yet again, the defense he called was gap exchange, commonly used against read-option. So this weird idea that the read-option surprised him is simply not true.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Because they were not prepared for how much of it they saw.

Seriously, if someone can't look at this game and consider it a coaching failure , there is no game you can consider a defensive coaching failure.

Yes, Walden and the other OLBs failed, but it was glaringly obvious that Capers drastically underestimated how much the 49ers were prepared to use Kaepernick's legs as a weapon. And as HRE pointed out, even Woodson was critical of the failure to adjust in the 2nd half to the offensive game plan of the 49ers.

More evidence of this existed in the opening game of the next season - the Packers still lost, but they were much more prepared to stop the read option.

There will always be some debate as to the shared responsibility between coaches and players but it couldn't be more obvious that the playoff game against the 49ers certainly wasn't Capers' proudest coaching moment.

I posted the article above, I would encourage you to go read it. The main problem was that the 49ers oline so completely dominated the Packer's dline that the dlinemen were shoved 9-15 FEET out of their pass lanes....this opens up massive running lanes for the QB.

What adjustment was Capers supposed to make? Go out and tether his players to the ground so they would stop getting pushed around like toddlers? Or ask politely if he could borrow some competent dlinemen?

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, since the running of the QB was killing us; he should have made it a priority to try covering the edge or having someone fast shadow him. You believe he hammered home the idea of covering the edge to the outside linebackers and they just did not listen? I just did not see any changes made in the 2nd half. Anyway, as someone else pointed out. If this is a super bowl year; nobody will care about the past and all the coaches will be back.

D

Deleted member 6794

Ok.....but did you actually read the rest of the article? Where it actually discusses and breaks down how the PLAYERS were at fault for getting shoved around and how the defensive scheme was actually a common scheme used against the read-option? Because it's this kind of reaction that keeps false narratives going. Was Capers terrific in that game? No. Was Capers the main problem in that game? No, the players were the biggest issue. Does it make fans feel better to blame one easily replaceable coach rather than actually understand the issues and realize that personnel was the problem? Yup.

And, yet again, the defense he called was gap exchange, commonly used against read-option. So this weird idea that the read-option surprised him is simply not true.

It's true the players didn't execute on a high level during that game but there's no way an author admitting he's not an expert on the read option by any means listing some examples will change my mind that Capers was mostly to blame for that fiasco.

It seems you ignore some parts of the article regarding the information supporting that the defensive coordinator didn't prepare the defense for the Niners offense.

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
I just thought of a great way to keep this thread going FOREVER! :whistling: Let's discuss replacing Capers with Janis! :roflmao: (Blame it on too much holiday spirit. ;))

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
It seems you ignore some parts of the article regarding the information supporting that the defensive coordinator didn't prepare the defense for the Niners offense.

THAT is the part where I blame Capers. Even if he did scramble and try to make changes at half time or whenever, it was obvious his players were poorly prepared for it. Those changes should have been practiced and covered well ahead of game time and is sure didn't look like they had been.

I'm sure someone else will point out another game, but aside from when the Packer defense has looked bad playing "prevent" defense, that 49er game will forever stick out in my mind as a game where the whole defense just looked lost for most of the game. I really was half expecting to wake up that next morning to read about Capers being fired.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 6794

THAT is the part where I blame Capers. Even if he did scramble and try to make changes at half time or whenever, it was obvious his players were poorly prepared for it. Those changes should have been practiced and covered well ahead of game time and is sure didn't look like they had been.

According to Charles Woodson there weren't any adjustments made during the game which is absolutely mind-boggling.

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
One thing that's kind of had me scratching my head over this is do you fire a DC simply over playoff results? Seems like that's where most of the complaints about Capers have come from.

I'm not saying that we couldn't do better than Capers, but it just seems like a lot of coaching changes that get made over frustration at playoff results haven't really led to results changing. I still remember 2003 when people blamed that 4th and 26 play on Ed Donatell and got their wish when he got fired, but I wouldn't say that change made for better results. And what of our ST currently? We fired Slocum after 2014 and the NFCCG. Sure, Slocum wasn't always getting the results we wanted, but I'm hearing a lot of people complaining about Ron Zook right now too.

Now... taking into account Capers's whole playoff results, yeah I'd say 2009, 2011, and 2012 certainly look bad on him. Maybe 2013 too though that's debatable.

But I feel like the last 2 maybe even 3 years in a row this team's been losing playoff games because the offense hasn't been up to snuff in those games. We shoulda been able to put more than 20 up on the 49ers in 2013, should've come away with 4 TDs instead of 4 FGs in Seattle, and of course had that bad train wreck in the 2nd half of last year and carried that hangover into Arizona needing a 2nd miracle hail mary from Rodgers to go to OT.

Bottom line we don't have a shutdown defense in the playoffs, I know that, but over the last 3 years or so,.it feels like they would've done enough to win us the big games if our offense hadn't gone into shell mode. So I blame our offense blowing opportunities to win games lately more so than on Capers's defense.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
One thing that's kind of had me scratching my head over this is do you fire a DC simply over playoff results? Seems like that's where most of the complaints about Capers have come from.

I'm not saying that we couldn't do better than Capers, but it just seems like a lot of coaching changes that get made over frustration at playoff results haven't really led to results changing. I still remember 2003 when people blamed that 4th and 26 play on Ed Donatell and got their wish when he got fired, but I wouldn't say that change made for better results. And what of our ST currently? We fired Slocum after 2014 and the NFCCG. Sure, Slocum wasn't always getting the results we wanted, but I'm hearing a lot of people complaining about Ron Zook right now too.

Now... taking into account Capers's whole playoff results, yeah I'd say 2009, 2011, and 2012 certainly look bad on him. Maybe 2013 too though that's debatable.

But I feel like the last 2 maybe even 3 years in a row this team's been losing playoff games because the offense hasn't been up to snuff in those games. We shoulda been able to put more than 20 up on the 49ers in 2013, should've come away with 4 TDs instead of 4 FGs in Seattle, and of course had that bad train wreck in the 2nd half of last year and carried that hangover into Arizona needing a 2nd miracle hail mary from Rodgers to go to OT.

Bottom line we don't have a shutdown defense in the playoffs, I know that, but over the last 3 years or so,.it feels like they would've done enough to win us the big games if our offense hadn't gone into shell mode. So I blame our offense blowing opportunities to win games lately more so than on Capers's defense.

Some of us are all about nothing but playoffs (more specifically, winning the last playoff game), and we'd certainly answer 'yes' to the first question. Of course, that applies to TT and every other coach, as well.

Personally, I think the second highlighted section is damning with faint praise. It's the overall team job to end up scoring more points than the opponent. When one side or the other fails, the team fails. When a high-powered offense can't put up the points it's used to scoring, it's time for the D to step up and hold the other guys.

Sky King

Reaction score
Interesting subject. I read on another board this morning a debate over cold fusion creating iron from graphite and oxygen using a battery and #2 pencil.
Just imagine. Those little pencils they give you to keep score in golf combined with an LED flashlight and the turbo encabulator could provide enough energy to power the Jumbotron scoreboard for an entire season, including playoffs.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score

I believe the reason for this is pretty obvious, in the Playoffs you are playing the top teams. So when you have a weak defense, chances are its going to look even weaker in these games. I don't think there is much difference between the defense regular season VS post season, more than that they have been exploited by better teams on a bigger stage.

D

Deleted member 6794

It's true the Packers offense has struggled during the last three playoff losses but unfortunately not once was the defense able to carry the team like the unit did twice during the 2010 Super Bowl run.

I'm not saying Capers should be fired though because of it as the 2012 playoff loss at San Francisco is the only one I'm blaming on him.

I believe the reason for this is pretty obvious, in the Playoffs you are playing the top teams. So when you have a weak defense, chances are its going to look even weaker in these games. I don't think there is much difference between the defense regular season VS post season, more than that they have been exploited by better teams on a bigger stage.

Interestingly the Packers rank sixth in points allowed per game during the regular season against teams that ended up making the playoffs since Capers became the defensive coordinator in 2009.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Interestingly the Packers rank sixth in points allowed per game during the regular season against teams that ended up making the playoffs since Capers became the defensive coordinator in 2009.

Not sure how it fares with the rest of the playoff teams, but if I did my math right, the Packers defense has given up an average of just over 25 points/game in the playoffs since Capers started.

D

Deleted member 6794

Not sure how it fares with the rest of the playoff teams, but if I did my math right, the Packers defense has given up an average of just over 25 points/game in the playoffs since Capers started.

The Packers have given up an aberage of 25.8 points in the playoffs sonce Capers took over as defensive coordinator. That ranks 18th out of 24 teams that have played in the playoffs during that span.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
The Packers have given up an aberage of 25.8 points in the playoffs sonce Capers took over as defensive coordinator. That ranks 18th out of 24 teams that have played in the playoffs during that span.
Explains their 7-6 record, with 4 of those wins coming in 2010 when the defense played much better than the year before and after.

Mavster

Cheesehead
Reaction score

That's actually insane. I would love to see which teams are worse than us as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest posts