Fire Capers

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 6794

Rodgers has all day because of him moving and buying time, not from great OLine play. Our QB is on track for the highest rushing stats of his career, because he can't stay in the pocket, caused by poor blocking and receivers can't get open. We beat the worst team in the NFC East, got our *** kicked by the third worst, don't let the last game fool you into thinking this team has turned the corner. If we make the playoffs we're not going anywhere, because we can't run the ball.

I don't believe the Packers have turned the corner because they beat the Eagles on Monday. I'm not concerned about the offensive line though but the secondary once facing a good passing offense again.

This site ranks our line 21st in rushing, 12th in passing, with the EASIEST schedule. An experienced line, not a bunch of rookies, and almost 1/3 of our rushing yards come from our qb running.

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/ol

We can all have opinions but the stats tell a different story, when you factor our opponents.

I mostly like Football Outsiders stats but they use a terrible metric to measure the success of offensive lines.

Pro Football Focus had the Packers OL ranked fifth in the league two weeks ago and had this to say about them:

Nothing compares to Green Bay’s pass protection this season, despite the team struggling more than usual the last two weeks in that regard. They have allowed 72 total pressures, which is the third-best total in the league, but on a per-dropback basis, they have the best pass protection in football, despite Aaron Rodgers routinely trying to drag out plays in the vain hope that somebody will come open at some point in the play. As a run-blocking unit, they are actually pretty good, the Packers just rarely seem to ask them to prove it.

childerm

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Nothing compares to Green Bay’s pass protection this season, despite the team struggling more than usual the last two weeks in that regard. They have allowed 72 total pressures, which is the third-best total in the league, but on a per-dropback basis, they have the best pass protection in football, despite Aaron Rodgers routinely trying to drag out plays in the vain hope that somebody will come open at some point in the play. As a run-blocking unit, they are actually pretty good, the Packers just rarely seem to ask them to prove it.

I think this perfectly explains Green Bays line this year. They have really been the most consistent group they have had so far this season.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The guy I'm most pleased with is Bak. He's become a dominant pass blocker, and if anything, works even harder after getting his money. Tip of the hat to Bulaga, also. He's managed to stay pretty healthy and has been rock solid.

D

Deleted member 6794

The guy I'm most pleased with is Bak. He's become a dominant pass blocker, and if anything, works even harder after getting his money. Tip of the hat to Bulaga, also. He's managed to stay pretty healthy and has been rock solid.

PFF has Bakhtiari currently graded as the best pass blocking tackle in the league with Bulaga being third. I still think the Packers slightly overpaid to re-sign the left tackle though.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
PFF has Bakhtiari currently graded as the best pass blocking tackle in the league with Bulaga being third. I still think the Packers slightly overpaid to re-sign the left tackle though.

Maybe, Cap. But think of it in terms of a bidding war after the season, after everyone had seen tape of his work this season. And especially in terms of 2-3 years from now what would it be?
First and third in the league? wow, that is outstanding.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yes, I think the Packers could have retained Bakhtiari for less money at the time they extended his contract.
Maybe, but I would say that we know less about that than the principles involved in the deal. I am just happy they got the deal done.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wasn't too excited at first, but knew he played injured enough last year and needed surgery, so I was giving him the benefit of the doubt. Based on his play, I didn't like the contract, but he had time to get better and I said he could earn his contract. It seems he is off to a good start.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Last edited:
H

HardRightEdge

http://www.billmichaelssports.com/reaction-to-kevin-greenes-comments-and-the-football-frenzy/
Dom is consistent, and do what ur told to do..

Every Def part is clear..

If players did their job... It would be top 5 Def every year.
Since we haven't seen a top 5 defense since 2010, and many defensive players have been rotated in and out of the roster in the interim, including a bunch of 1st. round picks, somehow the idea that assignments are clear but the players don't follow them is implausible.

It's kind of interesting that Capers simplified the calls and took steps to speed up communication after Greene left, belying Greene's testimony.

Perhaps Greene is talking his own book, angling for the DC job if Capers were to be the Rams HC.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Since we haven't seen a top 5 defense since 2010, and many defensive players have been rotated in and out of the roster in the interim, including a bunch of 1st. round picks, somehow the idea that assignments are clear but the players don't follow them is implausible.

It's kind of interesting that Capers simplified the calls and took steps to speed up communication after Greene left, belying Greene's testimony.

Perhaps Greene is talking his own book, angling for the DC job if Capers were to be the Rams HC.

This I know for sure..its been told to me that some players don't get it right away.. Takes them a while.. Some it happens in an instant..

Trouble is the ones that have issues get tossed in with real game time playing..

Dom has tried to dumb it down but still doesn't work.

I been saying this for a while.

The past month we had Brady popigna say it's the players and not Dom.. Now greene is saying same thing.

Maybe it is time for Dom to go, but if Dom is dumbing down the teaching and it isn't working, who is to say a new coach will get better results?

I know this is why Dom hasn't been fired, because his scheme works if players do as they are told.

I called it 2 weeks ago, that the new players are getting it and for 3 weeks it's very apparent..

Some wanted to see it work vs Seattle, and it really did..

Is it not plausible that the Def secondary was lost for a stretch and now have figured it out?

Or does Dom still suck?

H

HardRightEdge

This I know for sure..its been told to me that some players don't get it right away.. Takes them a while.. Some it happens in an instant..

Trouble is the ones that have issues get tossed in with real game time playing..

The past month we had Brady popigna say it's the players and not Dom.. Now greene is saying same thing.

Maybe it is time for Dom to go, but if Dom is dumbing down the teaching and it isn't working, who is to say a new coach will get better results?

I know this is why Dom hasn't been fired, because his scheme works if players do as they are told.

I called it 2 weeks ago, that the new players are getting it and for 3 weeks it's very apparent..

Is it not plausible that the Def secondary was lost for a stretch and now have figured it out?

Or does Dom still suck?
For whatever reason, Wilson couldn't hit the broad side of a barn last week.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Or does Dom still suck?
Someone will correct me with stats if I am wrong, but my gut recollection is that the Packer's defense under Capers has always gotten noticably better about 2/3 of the way through each season. Perhaps this is evidence of that learning curve. Considering the fact that we are always playing a lot of new players this would seem to follow.

H

HardRightEdge

Someone will correct me with stats if I am wrong, but my gut recollection is that the Packer's defense under Capers has always gotten noticably better about 2/3 of the way through each season. Perhaps this is evidence of that learning curve. Considering the fact that we are always playing a lot of new players this would seem to follow.
January 18, 2015
January 12, 2013
January 15, 2011

And frequently enough in the 4th. quarter in general.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am assuming that those are the dates of Packers playoff losses? If so.... those are definitely not stats that counter my supposition. I merely said that the Packers Defense seems to improve every year in the last third of the season. I didn't say they necessarily became the best defense in the NFL. And trying to blame that Seattle loss on the defense when the offense couldn't even score touchdowns is ridiculous.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The only difference between the playoff loss and last Sunday was the offense scoring touchdowns instead of Field Goals. Seattle was thouroughly outplayed in both, but as luck would have it they were able to outscore us in the one that counted more. And that was all that mattered

H

HardRightEdge

I am assuming that those are the dates of Packers playoff losses? If so.... those are definitely not stats that counter my supposition.
Yes they are. But not just any playoff losses. Especially dreadful defensive performances.

Little possums walk early, big possums walk late. We'll see what kind of possums we have this year. Flip a coin.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just a side note for the "there are a bunch of first round picks on defense!" crowd that believes Dom has tons of talent on defense: many ppl thought Packers should have taken Chris Jones this past year in the first round, instead the Packers picked Clark. Clark hasn't played that well while Jones has already shown himself to be an above-average DT in his rookie season. Clark might get better but Thompson's history of first round defensive talent is underwhelming to say the least.

D

Deleted member 6794

The Packers have allowed an average of 21.2 points in the first 11 games of a season as well as 20.9 points over the last five during Capers' tenure as the team's defensive coordinator. While the numbers are slightly better at the end of the year it's not a significant improvement.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers have allowed an average of 21.2 points in the first 11 games of a season as well as 20.9 points over the last five during Capers' tenure as the team's defensive coordinator. While the numbers are slightly better at the end of the year it's not a significant improvement.
Lol I figured you would go do the work for me. Based on Those numbers, I would agree with you. I am a bit surprised, but glad you did the work. It would seem to me that that is a pretty damning statistic regarding Capers' defenses as I would expect any defensive unit to show improvement over the course of a year (although I suppose injuries may act to counter this as well).

D

Deleted member 6794

It would seem to me that that is a pretty damning statistic regarding Capers' defenses as I would expect any defensive unit to show improvement over the course of a year (although I suppose injuries may act to counter this as well).

Actually the difference is pretty insignificant league wide as teams have scored an average of 22.6 points during the first 11 weeks of the season compared to 22.2 over the last five since 2009.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
While Defenses might be improving over the course of the season, I would imagine equal improvement might be seen with some offenses as well, subsequently zeroing each other out. No stats to back that up, just seems like common sense?

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
While Defenses might be improving over the course of the season, I would imagine equal improvement might be seen with some offenses as well, subsequently zeroing each other out. No stats to back that up, just seems like common sense?
Good point ... seems plausible to me

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
One thing is for sure, Capers's time here has been such a roller coaster that it can be tough at times to get a good gauge on where his defenses are heading. There have been defenses before that turned it around in crunch time, for example the 2011 NYG defense was getting scored on and giving up a ton of big plays during mid-season that got them called out for by the experts. Come playoff time though they shut down the big play and turned the corner. Would be interesting to see if ours this year could follow that same trajectory.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest posts