Fire Capers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
The next 6 games may play a big part in ultimately deciding the collective and individual fates of TT, MM and DC.

5 or 6 more losses, especially ones like we have seen the last 3 weeks, they are all gone IMO.

3 or 4 wins, TT and MM may keep their jobs.

5-6 wins with the defense finally showing up and a playoff birth, we may have to endure another season of Capers.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
While I'd love to agree with the above post I don't think the Packer's problems lie with Capers. TT handed him 2 higher round CB draft picks in '15 to bolster his "arsenal". Both players were forced into duty as rookies and did "OK" while making rookie mistakes. '16 season arrives and both (Randall & Rollins) are expected to start and/or play significant snaps and regressed before missing multiple games with injuries.

Many complain that Caper's D is "vanilla" or that he takes too many risks trying to get pressure. Without adequate CB's this D does not work, as blitzing exposes the CB-deficiency even more. Also, the front 5 have been stout against the run but offer very little pass rush leaving clean pockets for opposing QB's to pick-apart the defensive backfield. This D just doesn't work with sub-marginal CB's AND NO PASS RUSH.

There are valid reasons why the D blows... what's MM & the offenses excuse? The offense has been limping for the past 2 years, and injury isn't the main culprit...playcalling and philosophy are, IMHO. Way too many 3 and outs... somebody needs to realize that the only offensive successes are 6-9 minute, move-the-chains drives. 8-8 or less and the entire management team (TT on down) should go and let Elliot Wolf re-build with AR as his centerpiece for the next 4 years.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Choose your poison to blame the defensive issues on......Poor drafting, lack of free agents, bad scheme, poor coaching, injuries.........The Packers can change 4 out of those 5 variables, but I don't see it happening under the current regime.

Packer Brother

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The next 6 games may play a big part in ultimately deciding the collective and individual fates of TT, MM and DC.

5 or 6 more losses, especially ones like we have seen the last 3 weeks, they are all gone IMO.

3 or 4 wins, TT and MM may keep their jobs.

5-6 wins with the defense finally showing up and a playoff birth, we may have to endure another season of Capers.

5-6 wins ain't happening. Not with games against QBS like Wilson and Stafford. Texans could put up at least 30 if Os is on. l don't wanna see them get on a role with a good D, make the playoffs and go out in WC or Division game. That's the worst case scenario. Fool's gold into making upper management think everything is okay, worst draft pick.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Choose your poison to blame the defensive issues on......Poor drafting, lack of free agents, bad scheme, poor coaching, injuries.........The Packers can change 4 out of those 5 variables, but I don't see it happening under the current regime.
Exactly! If any changes are deemed necessary firing Capers won't change much... they all must go & let Elliot Wolf re-build while he's still got an elite QB to start with.

Reaction score
Well, unfortunately the talent level hasn't been better than mediocre over that period either. Therefore I'm not convinced it's Capers fault the defense hasn't performed any better.
I don't think we can pin 1 man (such as TT) with the demise of this Defense. If a D coordinator sees a substantial talent value whether in the draft or FA, it's his responsibility to go after that player. It's my opinion this was the case with Julius Peppers and I think Dom was very much involved with his acquisition as one example.
I understand completely that it's TT lead role to ultimately acquire players, but I'd be shocked if he didn't brainstorm with the OC, DC and HC about available options.
Secondly rushing 3 in critical down and distance situations is a recipe for disaster. I watched him rush 3 with our opponent both on their own 1 yard line and nearly fell off my rocker (they rushed up the middle for about 8 yards) I also watched us leave a gaping hole on the line against a goal line stance with the Redskins (they ran up the 1 gap where we were non existent for an easy TD) so whatever anyone argues it clearly didn't work to a play soft front.
We should've had our 3 biggest men shoulder to shoulder in the middle on the line multiple times on key short yardage situations downs... and yet time and time again we keep 3 upfront spaced a mile apart and give up either a 1st down or points.
Its also not on TT that we play 8 yards off receivers and let their WR or TE run unabated around the field of play when we rush more than 3. It's common sense when you blitz that the Opposing QB will only get 2 reads at best and unleash the ball. Why would we let the receivers run their routes off the line with no contest in a full court press situation?
It hasn't worked. It doesn't work and it won't work. Lets quit banging our heads against the proverbial brick wall Dom

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 6794

There are valid reasons why the D blows... what's MM & the offenses excuse? The offense has been limping for the past 2 years, and injury isn't the main culprit...playcalling and philosophy are, IMHO. Way too many 3 and outs... somebody needs to realize that the only offensive successes are 6-9 minute, move-the-chains drives. 8-8 or less and the entire management team (TT on down) should go and let Elliot Wolf re-build with AR as his centerpiece for the next 4 years.

I mostly agree with your take on the defense. While the offense hasn't performed at an elite level for more than a year there's no doubt the unit hasn't even been close to playing as terrible as the defense though.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Exactly! If any changes are deemed necessary firing Capers won't change much... they all must go & let Elliot Wolf re-build while he's still got an elite QB to start with.

That is the way I have been leaning for awhile now. While TT, MM and DC have done a lot for GB, much of the teams success can also be credited to AR. Something just feels way off with the general direction that TT and MM have the team currently at and it seems like the only way this thing gets turned around is a complete reboot of the GM and coaching staff. The Packers have some decent corp players, but seem to have gotten stale under current management.

D

Deleted member 6794

I don't think we can pin 1 man (such as TT) with the demise of this Defense. If a D coordinator sees a substantial talent value whether in the draft or FA, it's his responsibility to go after that player. It's my opinion this was the case with Julius Peppers and I think Dom was very much involved with his acquisition as one example.
I understand completely that it's TT lead role to ultimately acquire players, but I'd be shocked if he didn't brainstorm with the OC, DC and HC about available options.
Secondly rushing 3 in critical down and distance situations is a recipe for disaster. I watched him rush 3 with our opponent on their own 1 yard line and nearly fell off my rocker.
Its also not on TT that we play 8 yards off receivers and let their WR or TE run unabated around the field of play when we rush more than 3. It's common sense when you blitz that the Opposing QB will only get 2 reads at best and unleash the ball. Why would we let the receivers run their routes off the line with no contest in a full court press situation?

Capers might have made suggestions to Thompson about players he wanted the Packers to acquire but fell on deaf ears with the general manager. According to rumors that has happened to quite a lot of people in the team's front office.

This season should work as evidence that rushing only three defenders works if executed properly as teams have used it a lot to succesfully defend against the Packers offense.

It's likely the Packers cornerbacks don't play more press coverage as the unit lacks overall speed to make up for it once beaten near the LOS.

Last edited by a moderator:

Packer Brother

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wolf will go on to be a successful GM elsewhere. TT & MM will be back. "Key" signings such as AJ Hawk, Practice squad players occur. Packers make the WC game following a 10-6 season in 17. They fall in overtime when Capers D gives up a 95 yard drive from the opponents 5. "Progress" will have been made compared to 2016. Murphy announces in February 2018 that ticket prices increase up to 25 percent to remain "competitive" by league standards.

Last edited:

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wolf will go on to be a successful GM elsewhere. TT & MM will be back. "Key" signings such as AJ Hawk, Practice squad players occur. Packers make the WC game following a 10-6 season in 17. The fall in overtime when Capers D gives up a 95 yard drive from the opponents 5. "Progress" will have been made compared to 2016. Murphy announces in February 2018 that ticket prices increase up to 25 percent to remain "competitive" by league standards.
lol I will try to remain optimistic, but none of this sounds unreasonable.

Gabe

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, unfortunately the talent level hasn't been better than mediocre over that period either. Therefore I'm not convinced it's Capers fault the defense hasn't performed any better.
Yeah but Capers could motivate them a lot more than they are now. I feel like a new defensive coach could change things for the better.

D

Deleted member 6794

Yeah but Capers could motivate them a lot more than they are now. I feel like a new defensive coach could change things for the better.

It's possible a new defensive coordinator would turn around things for the better but a player can't overcome a lack of talent because of being motivated to do so by a coach.

H

HardRightEdge

It's possible a new defensive coordinator would turn around things for the better but a player can't overcome a lack of talent because of being motivated to do so by a coach.
Players lose motivation when (1) they are confused, (2) don't believe their skills are used properly or (3) think the harder they work the worse it gets, which translates to (4) feeling they are not placed in a position to win. "Losing motivation" is hard to judge, and I can't say I see anybody ******* it on the field.

However, these factors can prevent playing with confidence and in the zone.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As long as you define bandwagoners as those deserting the Packers and not those pointing out their deficiencies while hoping for improvement, agreed.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The "good" thing about a losing season is it weeds out bandwagoners. Tough times reveal who will stick by this team thick and thin.
While I am definitely not a fair weather fan, I fail to see what benefit any of us would get out of identifying them.

Packer96

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Capers might have made suggestions to Thompson about players he wanted the Packers to acquire but fell on deaf ears with the general manager. According to rumors that has happened to quite a lot of people in the team's front office.

This season should work as evidence that rushing only three defenders works if executed properly as teams have used it a lot to succesfully defend against the Packers offense.

It's likely the Packers cornerbacks don't play more press coverage as the unit lacks overall speed to make up for it once beaten near the LOS.

Our OLine sucks is why teams can rush 3 against us.

Packer Brother

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As long as you define bandwagoners as those deserting the Packers and not those pointing out their deficiencies while hoping for improvement, agreed.

Nothing wrong at all with criticism. This team deserves it. They've underachieved for a few years now. Bandwagoner would be someone who suddenly becomes a Cowboys, Raiders, Pats fan. Me thinks most everyone on here will be a Packers fan even if they went 0-16.

D

Deleted member 6794

Our OLine sucks is why teams can rush 3 against us.

Absolutely disagree. The Packers offensive line has been a bright spot for the team in a mostly disappointing season. Opponents are capable of rushing only three guys because their defensive backs are actually capable of covering receivers for more than three seconds.

Packer96

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Absolutely disagree. The Packers offensive line has been a bright spot for the team in a mostly disappointing season. Opponents are capable of rushing only three guys because their defensive backs are actually capable of covering receivers for more than three seconds.

How many rushing TD's do we have not counting ARods?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts