Fire Capers

Status
Not open for further replies.

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Case in point today. I'll say this, Matt Barkley has been improving his game and looks like he could have a career holding at least a Drew Stanton or Kyle Orton kind of role on a team, if nothing else.

But, today was an example of how inconsistent and the bad side of Capers' scheming and calling. To answer the other thread, I'll give Capers his credit for last week and the two weeks before that, he certainly can still call good games. But seeing the kind of meltdown on D that we did today looks bad on his part.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Case in point today. I'll say this, Matt Barkley has been improving his game and looks like he could have a career holding at least a Drew Stanton or Kyle Orton kind of role on a team, if nothing else.

But, today was an example of how inconsistent and the bad side of Capers' scheming and calling. To answer the other thread, I'll give Capers his credit for last week and the two weeks before that, he certainly can still call good games. But seeing the kind of meltdown on D that we did today looks bad on his part.
I'm about ready to jump on this bandwagon too. Beginning to think this group of defensive players may need new leadership. I'm ready for a new special teams coach too.

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I expect he'll get praised this Saturday too because I think we will dominate Minny. They have a bad offense and I think our D could certainly shut them down maybe even bigger than what we did to Seattle. Even Detroit's offense never puts up a ton of points, just enough to get it done in the end.

I think it's gonna depend on what happens in the playoffs to his defenses, assuming we make it.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ugly performance today by the D. Gave up nearly 250 yards offense in the final 3 drives. Just pathetic. Another 4th quarter meltdown and this time to a 3rd string qb who couldn't play at Frisco. This has all the makings of a repeat of 2009. While I'm not on the fire Capers bandwagon because I think he doesn't have much talent to work with, you have to call a spade a spade and conclude Capers stunk it up today.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Farve couldn't start or make team photo either..

Sometimes players just don't get the chance they need..

This bear team has lost 5 games by 6 or less.. Should have beat Detroit last week.

Dirty Sanchez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The offense made up for the defense. Disagree with me if you want, but its right there on film. I don't understand playing not to lose. I would like one coach or the other to make a decision and lead the team!

DS

Packer4life

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ugly performance today by the D. Gave up nearly 250 yards offense in the final 3 drives. Just pathetic. Another 4th quarter meltdown and this time to a 3rd string qb who couldn't play at Frisco. This has all the makings of a repeat of 2009. While I'm not on the fire Capers bandwagon because I think he doesn't have much talent to work with, you have to call a spade a spade and conclude Capers stunk it up today.

I've been on the fire Capers bandwagon since this thread started. He consistently shows the inability to adjust schemes to the level of his talent. One can't continue to do the same things and expect a different result. He continues to call blitzes, for instance, even though they are practically never effective. This bend and don't break crap is not going to win a championship.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
His zone blitz scheme doesn't work either. If our guys don't hit home..which has been usually the case..then you have guys wide open. Especially in the middle of the field. Not to mention the fact that our corners are 7 yards off WRs all the dang time. I think without Shields they don't have a single guy who can play man. They need to change personnel on this blitzes or something. Did Elliot? Or Lowry even play? There is hardly any pressure from the d line...and Matthews is just a guy running around taking snaps from guys like Elliott who is probably much more effective because he's healthy.!

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Matthews is just a guy running around taking snaps from guys like Elliott who is probably much more effective because he's healthy.!
Sadly, this has become so true. Hopefully, Capers watches film from the last few games and concludes that if Clay doesn't get healthy soon, which it sounds like he won't, it might be time to shut him down in favor of a young able bodied guy.

Injury aside, I think the Packers will have some long hard thinking about Clay next year. Do you trade him and get some value for him while you still can or chalk 2016 up as an injury filled anomaly year for him and pay him the $15.2M he has coming on his contract and hope he gets back to being an elite LB?

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sadly, this has become so true. Hopefully, Capers watches film from the last few games and concludes that if Clay doesn't get healthy soon, which it sounds like he won't, it might be time to shut him down in favor of a young able bodied guy.

Injury aside, I think the Packers will have some long hard thinking about Clay next year. Do you trade him and get some value for him while you still can or chalk 2016 up as an injury filled anomaly year for him and pay him the $15.2M he has coming on his contract and hope he gets back to being an elite LB?

I like Matthews but not at almost 16 million dollars. If Perry wasn't so injury prone himself I'd be in favor of bringing him back and maybe trading Matthews. You have a couple more healthier olbs, and just effective vs the run than Matthews hitting the market this off season.

Robert Mason

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I believe the Bears passed for around 170 yards in the 4th quarter (against a soft zone coverage) today after 192 yards through three. Why deviate from something that was working ? It almost cost the Packers the game

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think what frustrates me is that the ****** soft zone defense we saw today is what Capers WANTS to run. Only when under pressure in a tight game does he start to open it up and play man with some unique pressures. Anytime he feels comfortable we see this ****.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think what frustrates me is that the ****** soft zone defense we saw today is what Capers WANTS to run. Only when under pressure in a tight game does he start to open it up and play man with some unique pressures. Anytime he feels comfortable we see this ****.

Been seeing it for 8 years or so.People don't like Rex Ryan but I think he'd be perfect as the next DC in Green Bay. He's at least going to be visible on the sidelines and interacting with the players. Something I've never seen with Capers. Also look at what defenses have done while under Ryan. Always in the top 10 in total defense. With a qb like Rodgers that's all that's missing ..a defense that can get him more possessions and close out people when he has the lead. Atlanta, and Indy both games lost by the defense that should've never happened.

D

Deleted member 6794

The Packers defense played absolutely terrible in the fourth quarter and someone has to be held accountable for. I think the reasons for it are a combination of the defensive scheme as well as a lack of talent. It's difficult to understand getting away from what had worked over the first three quarters though.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers defense played absolutely terrible in the fourth quarter and someone has to be held accountable for. I think the reasons for it are a combination of the defensive scheme as well as a lack of talent. It's difficult to understand getting away from what had worked over the first three quarters though.
While I agree in theory.... I'm not sure it worked as well as it might have appeared early on.... those picks by Clinton Dix stopped drives early on too

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score

I think people have touched on it already, seems like if you are going to play prevent, you better at least have some guys putting some heat on the QB. Yesterday, Barkley was not overly pressured and once the Bears went into pass mode, Capers didn't have an answer, especially with our secondary. Hopefully, we get Perry back soon and if Clay can't do anything other than get pushed around, they really need to keep him on the sidelines in favor of a healthier player.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
While I agree in theory.... I'm not sure it worked as well as it might have appeared early on.... those picks by Clinton Dix stopped drives early on too

Good point. Same goes for the Seahawks game. While I think we would have won that game without the 5 interceptions due to Wilson not being at the top of his game, if you don't get the sacks/pressure or the picks and you run into a hot QB, our secondary just isn't good enough to keep the other team from moving down the field.

Robert Mason

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've been on the fire Capers bandwagon since this thread started. He consistently shows the inability to adjust schemes to the level of his talent. One can't continue to do the same things and expect a different result. He continues to call blitzes, for instance, even though they are practically never effective. This bend and don't break crap is not going to win a championship.

I think I will join your bandwagon also after that terrible fourth quarter against the Bears.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
While I am not trying to make excuses for Capers, but for those who are blaming the defensive issues in the 4th quarter yesterday solely on him, how would you have coached it? What players would you have had in there to change things? What schemes would you have run?

gonzozab

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The offense definately needs to share the blame for the 4th quarter meltdown. Two three and outs layered in between three Bears scoring drives cannot be ignored. It's baffling to me how a team that dominated the third quarter can get dominated in the fourth quarter at the drop of a hat. The only answer I can come up with is just like the Seattle Meltdown, they took their foot of the gas assuming the game was in the bag and played not to lose.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
While I am not trying to make excuses for Capers, but for those who are blaming the defensive issues in the 4th quarter yesterday solely on him, how would you have coached it? What players would you have had in there to change things? What schemes would you have run?

Easy!! First I wouldn't have played Clay Matthews as much...absolutely ineffective. He was either being pushed out of the play, or couldn't generate enough force to make Barkley have to step up in the pocket. Mix that with his occasional over running of the play...he was a non factor. I would've created a pkg that would allow both Elliot and Lowry to be on the field as stand up rush ends on passing downs and taken my chances with two healthy guys vs one guy playing at 85%.

Secondly. I would've called more double A gap blitzes. Our d line is built to stop the run, not getting pressure on the qb and that shows..so you essentially have 3 run stuffers vs 5 linemen. You have to bring more pressure up the middle so that the qb is forced to leave the pocket and run into those edge rushers...not rush the edge only and depend on applied pressure up the middle. Hasn't worked all year. Capers will occasionally call a gap blitz but it's usually a 210 lb safety going head on with a 300 lb offenseive linemen.

Thirdly. I'd Create a pass rushing pkg where youhave Perry at DE, Peppers at DT, Daniels at DT, Matthews at DE, Martinez to ilb, HCD to OlB and Burnett to the other OLB, Hyde Fs, Brice SS, Rollins cb, and Randall cb. Matthews and Perry would be stand up rush ends. This is a pass rushing pkg that defends the pass at the same time... as your two olbs are safeties who can tackle, and are solid enough in the passing game to cover ground and run with backs and Tight ends. Be creative in the scheme.
*Assuming all these guys are healthy

I'd also play more man to man...if you can't cover your guy for at least three seconds? Then you can't play on my defense. Get up and bump and run with the guy. No more free release 8 yards off crap.

Last edited:

Dirty Sanchez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Going to the "soft Zone D" and the banged up D backs results in games like yesterday.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Easy!! First I wouldn't have played Clay Matthews as much...absolutely ineffective. He was either being pushed out of the play, or couldn't generate enough force to make Barkley have to step up in the pocket. Mix that with his occasional over running of the play...he was a non factor. I would've created a pkg that would allow both Elliot and Lowry to be on the field as stand up rush ends on passing downs and taken my chances with two healthy guys vs one guy playing at 85%.

Secondly. I would've called more double A gap blitzes. Our d line is built to stop the run, not getting pressure on the qb and that shows..so you essentially have 3 run stuffers vs 5 linemen. You have to bring more pressure up the middle so that the qb is forced to leave the pocket and run into those edge rushers...not rush the edge only and depend on applied pressure up the middle. Hasn't worked all year. Capers will occasionally call a gap blitz but it's usually a 210 lb safety going head on with a 300 lb offenseive linemen.

Thirdly. I'd Create a pass rushing pkg where youhave Perry at DE, Peppers at DT, Daniels at DT, Matthews at DE, Martinez to ilb, HCD to OlB and Burnett to the other OLB, Hyde Fs, Brice SS, Rollins cb, and Randall cb. Matthews and Perry would be stand up rush ends. This is a pass rushing pkg that defends the pass at the same time... as your two olbs are safeties who can tackle, and are solid enough in the passing game to cover ground and run with backs and Tight ends. Be creative in the scheme.
*Assuming all these guys are healthy

I'd also play more man to man...if you can't cover your guy for at least three seconds? Then you can't play on my defense. Get up and bump and run with the guy. No more free release 8 yards off crap.

Thanks much more constructive than just "Fire Capers". I totally agree with you on Matthews. Just don't see him being effective in his current injured state, may be time to sit him. The pass rush package you talked about sounds good, but Perry is injured and I don't think Martinez is at 100% either. I wish we had CB's that could effectively play man to man, but not so sure that we do right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.