1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
  2. Announcement is LIVE: Read the Forum Post

Finley update

Discussion in 'Packer Fan Forum' started by ivo610, Jan 31, 2014.

1. brandon2348

brandon2348 GO PACK GO!

Ratings:
    +396
    Yep, but what's more realistic? Sign Finley to short term deal and if everyone stays somewhat healthy have the best offense in NFL and contend for Super Bowl? or not resign him and hope TT can hit every draft pick out of the park and have a top 5 defense while not losing any offensive production? I think that puts it in perspective.

2. brandon2348

brandon2348 GO PACK GO!

Ratings:
    +396
    And let's remember one more thing. McCarthy thought this would be his best offense ever in 2013 before the injuries. Now with Sherrod and Bulaga coming back and a year under Lacy's belt I really hope they keep it together with Finley and give it another shot.

3. bozz_2006

bozz_2006 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +650
    i think it's going to come down to being realistic about money. Do we pay our offensive free agents and hope the offensive juggernaut carries us? Or do we pay our core defensive free agents, knowing how bad the D was this year and hoping we don't take a step back next year?

We have LOTS of FAs -- it's "pick your poison", we won't be able to retain all of them.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. captainWIMM

captainWIMM Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2,671
    You have to realize you can't keep everyone under the current CBA. If you like it or not Finley won't play for the green and gold next season. The Packers have "only" $28 million in cap space for next season and Nelson's and Cobb's contracts expire after next season, so TT will have to invest a huge amount of money re-signing them.

Right now the defense needs major upgrades and I'm fine with letting go Jones and Kuhn (if he asks for way more than the vets minimum) as well.

Draft a WR and a TE and keep developing Boykin and Bostick. The offense will be fine with Rodgers at QB.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. adambr2

adambr2 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,433
    Under the CBA, when a player is franchise tagged, he has to be payed either the average of the top 5 paid players at his position, or 120% of his previous year salary, whichever is greater. In Finley's case, that would be $10M.

Finley will not be tagged.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Oshkoshpackfan

Oshkoshpackfan YUT !!!

Ratings:
    +1,453
  7. Ace

Ace Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +358
  8. Oshkoshpackfan

Oshkoshpackfan YUT !!!

Ratings:
    +1,453
    It is at least a good sign IMO. Working out to bulk up to 260 LBS and 10% body fat is a good sign that he can "bring it" in the weight room.....just a positive outlook is all.

• Old Old x 1
  9. Ace

Ace Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +358
    If he is healthy and our medical staff gives him the green light, I would be 100% ok with bringing him back. I have always been a huge Finley supporter and want nothing more then for him to contribute to this team. It's hard for me to watch someone with his physical ability struggle like he has. I really thought that he was going to be something special after the 2nd half of the 2009 season but he just hasn't been able to put it all together. He's still young and determined to be great, and I would be all for giving him that chance IF he's healthy.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Royal Pain

Royal Pain Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +116
    Saw the title to the thread and initially thought some legendary poster was coming back to the forum. Never heard that nickname used for Finley.

Not sure why the agent is meeting with the Packers at the combine. It seems like the logical next step is to have Jermichael checked out by the Packers medical staff. The Packers aren't going to start negotiating without knowing his status.

11. Darth Garfunkel

Darth Garfunkel Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +495
    I hope he can play again but I will honestly cringe every time he takes a hit.

12. thisisnate

thisisnate Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +216
    Will he be physically able to play? Hurdle one. I just have a gut feeling he will be. Will we be able to pay what he wants? This is where I have doubts.

13. Ace

Ace Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +358
    Him being physically able to play and the Packers medical staff clearing him are 2 VERY different things. He can be as ready as he wants but I have serious serious doubts that he will ever be cleared by anyone in the Packers organization

14. HyponGrey

HyponGrey Caseus Locutus Est

Ratings:
    +1,030
    Nick Collins has been ready to play since before we released him. Still sitting by the phone.

15. captainWIMM

captainWIMM Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2,671
    I have serious doubts he will be cleared by anyone in the entire league.

16. ivo610

ivo610 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4,116
    I'm ready to move on from him.

17. Carl

Carl Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,045
    He's got to be careful. This extra size could compromise some speed even if his body fat stays low.

18. Ace

Ace Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +358
    That's true too. Didn't Collins say that the Packers doctors were the only ones to not clear him? If that's the case, why hasn't he gotten a call from any of the other 31 teams? I understand the Packers stance on this and I respect them for it. They are willing to sacrafice losing a potentially great player for his own well being and that's comendable. It's just crazy that in TT's time here this is the 4th (possible 5th) time this has happened. Terrance Murphy, Collins, Richardson, Finley, and didn't Jeremy Thompsons career get cut short because of a neck injury?

19. captainWIMM

captainWIMM Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2,671
    Don´t fool yourself, they´re not doing that because they care about the player, but because of the fear of a lawsuit.

20. Ace

Ace Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +358
    No you're probably right but there has to be some thought into having a paralyzed player wearing your uniform on the field because you decided to clear him to play

• Agree Agree x 2
  21. captainWIMM

captainWIMM Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2,671
    Of course they don´t want that to happen to any player. That´s exactly why I don´t think Finley will be cleared by a team.

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. ThxJackVainisi

ThxJackVainisi Lifelong Packers Fanatic

Ratings:
    +3,189
    I doubt bulking up and being in great shape is going to affect the Packers doctors evaluations. If it would, they could have told Collins to get in great shape and bulk up.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2014
  23. AmishMafia

AmishMafia Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,858
    I sure hope he comes back. Constant teasing of a very special and dominating player is frustrating. Would love to see him one full injury free season.

24. longtimefan

longtimefan Super Moderator Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +2,983
  25. longtimefan

longtimefan Super Moderator Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +2,983
    Packer insider on WSSP this morning stated that he isnt sure Finley comes back to the Packers