Finley update

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That's less than 1% of the salary cap. That's peanuts even for an experienced backup... if he ends-up starting he's incredible value. If the younger guys beat him out and he gets cut it's less than $750K dead money. IMHO not a bum, but an experienced guy in camp and cheap insurance policy if the young guys blow (which I don't expect).

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Definitely not a bum. Will likely play close to 50% of the offensive snaps in the first quarter of the season imo. We'll have to see how the younger guys progress. I don't see TE as a team weakness. I'm more concerned about the consistency of OL play early in the season.

H

HardRightEdge

Finley to file claim on insurance policy.

http://www.packersnews.com/story/sp...im-on-insurance-policy/17046723/?sf32253404=1

I guess that means he won't return to the NFL after all.
The article states collecting on the policy will not preclude him from returning to the NFL. Perhaps he's deflected offers for workouts until he collects the $10 mil. The insurance company will no doubt try to drag it out as long as possible to see if he'll blink and try to get back to work.

Shawnsta3

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The article states collecting on the policy will not preclude him from returning to the NFL. Perhaps he's deflected offers for workouts until he collects the $10 mil. The insurance company will no doubt try to drag it out as long as possible to see if he'll blink and try to get back to work.
It says in the article he could miss as little as four games, collect his policy and play again. Which makes me wonder how high of a premium he must have paid towards it because wouldn't that be awfully common for an NFL player?

D

Deleted member 6794

It says in the article he could miss as little as four games, collect his policy and play again. Which makes me wonder how high of a premium he must have paid towards it because wouldn't that be awfully common for an NFL player?

I read the article as well and have a hard time believing an insurance company would ever agree on such a policy.

H

HardRightEdge

Hell, Lloyd's of London will insure just about anything.
...if the premium is large enough and the exclusions are tight enough.

Insurance underwriters also work hard to avoid adverse selection, i.e., avoiding the creation of policies that would attract those most likely to file a claim.

I'd be fairly confident Lloyds would not underwrite a $10 million policy for an end-of-the-bench jobber. They would want to be sure the player has an incentive to get back on the field. The best incentive is that the player has earning power that meaningfully exceeds the policy payout.

In any case, the underwriters will perform their own medical examinations and put forth the best argument they can that Finley is sandbagging. It will drag on for quite awhile and involve a bunch of lawyers.

H

HardRightEdge

It says in the article he could miss as little as four games, collect his policy and play again.
I don't think that's what the article says. To me it says if he plays more than 3 games after an injury a policy exclusion kicks in. That's probably to allow for a guy playing briefly with a disabling injury before he has to stop while also preventing payment on a less serious temporary injury.

It would seem Finley would need to settle the claim before drawing another NFL paycheck. The insurance company would likely want to prevent him from having his cake and eating it too.

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I can pretty much guarantee that the author of the article has not read the insurance policy, and has about as much info on it as we do

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
...if the premium is large enough and the exclusions are tight enough.

Oh I'm sure his annual premium was somewhere in the high 5 figures or perhaps even into 6 figures.

In any case, the underwriters will perform their own medical examinations and put forth the best argument they can that Finley is sandbagging.
I'm pretty certain if Finley was able to play, one of 32 teams would have signed him by now.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Oh I'm sure his annual premium was somewhere in the high 5 figures or perhaps even into 6 figures.

I'm pretty certain if Finley was able to play, one of 32 teams would have signed him by now.

Maybe so, but that argument won't fly for an insurance company on a policy this size -- they'll scrutinize a lot more heavily. Of course, we don't know what the exact language is on the policy.

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
I never had a problem with Finley even though he would gurgle out some pretty dumb stuff that irritated some Packers fans -- I didn't find him any more irritating than LeRoy Butler was ... but ... he had to drop a reference to a supposed offer the Steelers made him and he did not accept - again, the terms of their offer not disclosed, but, that insurance company will be all over that one. Bet on it... and yeah, more than likely Lloyd's of London in one way, shape or form...one of their underling re-insurance agencies at minimum.

Members online

Latest posts