Finley update

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, I hope he is cleared to play. It will be interesting to see if he gets big money from someone, but I doubt it will be the Packers.

D

Deleted member 6794

It's one thing being cleared by his own doctor, a team doctor is a different story though.

Powarun

Big Bay Blues fan
Reaction score
Agreeing with JBlood, I doubt he sees much money from the Packers. I'd love to have him back.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
Why cant we bring him back? If he is cleared by team doctors why not sign him? Franchise tag the guy if you have too I say. He is a top five tight end and was killing it before he got hurt. Rodgers was targeting him and gaining big confidence in going to Finley. Were already going to lose James Jones and possibly Kuhn. I know the running game is going to a bigger part of the offense but I feel we need to keep Rodgers with as many weapons as possible during his peak years. If Finley clears with team doctors I would be very disappointed Finley was not brought back. What are the chances of drafting a TE and that guy contributing right away. Quarless did a nice job filling in but is a huge drop off from Finley. People can say what they want about Jermichael but he has that "it factor" with "big play" ability. With the offensive line looking to really shape up next year and Lacy with a nice staple of running backs TT and Co. could use draft and rest of resources to address defense.

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i think the franchise tag being in play is much more likely than a new negotiated contract if he gets cleared by Doc McKenzie. I think there's a better than even chance IF he plays next year, it will be in GB. Beyond that is far less likely he'd be back in GB. I just can't see us signing him longterm when we have the benefit of the tag to "use" on him. And I doubt he'll like that very much. I'm expecting him to play next season - I'm expecting it to be in GB - I'm expecting next year to be his final year in GB.

Defense92

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Agreeing with JBlood, I doubt he sees much money from the Packers. I'd love to have him back.

I would, too, but I don't believe we can afford him and he already said he won't take a pay cut.

Packerlifer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's not just the current neck injury issues. Finley has been injury prone and inconsistent throughout his career. Yes, he has been occasionally brilliant and possesses an enormous skill set but on balance he's been an underachiever. This year's draft is strong for tight ends and the money the Packers save by saying goodbye to Jermichael could be used to secure other players; for instance James Jones.

H

HardRightEdge

TT is NOT going to spend big money on him.
Right. But even if it doesn't take big money to sign him, which it shouldn't, I doubt we'll take him back.

Silverstein points out that Collins' injury was at C3 and we wasted no time convincing him to retire; Finley also had spinal fusion at C3. We tend to forget Finley was in ICU after that injury with a contused spinal cord; paralysis or worse would have been the concern. Who knows what the after affects of that will be?

We'd be convincing him to retire like Collins if he was under contract to us as past March 11. TT is a risk averse individual. The chances Finley will be back are less than slim and much closer to none, regardless of how small the paycheck would be.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
i think the franchise tag being in play is much more likely than a new negotiated contract if he gets cleared by Doc McKenzie. I think there's a better than even chance IF he plays next year, it will be in GB. Beyond that is far less likely he'd be back in GB. I just can't see us signing him longterm when we have the benefit of the tag to "use" on him. And I doubt he'll like that very much. I'm expecting him to play next season - I'm expecting it to be in GB - I'm expecting next year to be his final year in GB.

Exactly, swallow the pill and franchise him and draft an athletic TE mid round guy like "Richard Rodgers" with a little time to develop. He is gonna have to play hard with having the one year deal and proving he is the "elite player" he says. We just might get another "super bowl"

H

HardRightEdge

Exactly, swallow the pill and franchise him and draft an athletic TE mid round guy like "Richard Rodgers" with a little time to develop. He is gonna have to play hard with having the one year deal and proving he is the "elite player" he says. We just might get another "super bowl"
There is no way on God's green tundra the Packers will franchise Finley.

That's expected to be about $7 million for a TE.

It's questionable we'd consider that if he'd not been injured in the first place.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score

It's questionable we'd consider that if he'd not been injured in the first place.

He got paid 8.2 million last season and TT went forward with paying him. That's what a big time TE is going for these days. This whole thing is predicated on "Team Doctors" clearing him which it sounds like they probably will. Every neck injury is different so we don't know all the circumstances. If he is cleared for contact like he says in a few weeks it sounds like he is going to be able to play and the neck injury isn't a major concern. Finley appears to have a chip on his shoulder and wants to prove he is a franchise TE that come back. I believe he can. Draft and develop is great but Aaron Rodgers just turned 30 and had his own injury. It's now Time! 2010 is starting to feel like "a bit ago" If we try to address TE and all the defensive holes in draft with un-tested rookies it will be a shame cause I believe we will be wasting a prime year of the best QB in the NFL. I'm not saying mortgage the franchise. I'm simply saying keep Finley for a year. We need him and big time in "Red-Zone"

D

Deleted member 6794

He got paid 8.2 million last season and TT went forward with paying him. That's what a big time TE is going for these days. This whole thing is predicated on "Team Doctors" clearing him which it sounds like they probably will. Every neck injury is different so we don't know all the circumstances. If he is cleared for contact like he says in a few weeks it sounds like he is going to be able to play and the neck injury isn't a major concern. Finley appears to have a chip on his shoulder and wants to prove he is a franchise TE that come back. I believe he can. Draft and develop is great but Aaron Rodgers just turned 30 and had his own injury. It's now Time! 2010 is starting to feel like "a bit ago" If we try to address TE and all the defensive holes in draft with un-tested rookies it will be a shame cause I believe we will be wasting a prime year of the best QB in the NFL. I'm not saying mortgage the franchise. I'm simply saying keep Finley for a year. We need him and big time in "Red-Zone"

Actully I think the franchise tag would be $10,5 million for Finley as he would get 120% of his previous salary. No way the Packers should and will do that.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
Actully I think the franchise tag would be $10,5 million for Finley as he would get 120% of his previous salary. No way the Packers should and will do that.

It is 10.5 million, but don't you have to "pay production" and hope he doesn't get hurt. I mean Williams set to get 7.5 million and Raji was offered 8 mill and I don't see the production there. Finley was on pace to have close to "Jimmie Graham" numbers this last year. Its a one year deal so it limits the gamble. I like the upside.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
He's already hurt.

That's what I said earlier. This is all predicated that he clears team doctors. If there is a high risk of injury or injury altering his production then obviously you don't sign him. I guess it's a wait and see over the next few weeks what team doctors say. Nobody can argue that having him playing like he did before he got hurt last year with Lacy and O-line coming together takes offense to whole new level with Cobb and Jordy. Better then Denver's.

D

Deleted member 6794

It is 10.5 million, but don't you have to "pay production" and hope he doesn't get hurt. I mean Williams set to get 7.5 million and Raji was offered 8 mill and I don't see the production there. Finley was on pace to have close to "Jimmie Graham" numbers this last year. Its a one year deal so it limits the gamble. I like the upside.

Is it you, Blake Baratz??? To compare Finley to Graham is ridiculous!!!

It's no sure thing Finley will be able to play and giving him that kind of money would be stupid considering how many free agents we have and the need to fill huge holes on defense.

Williams' contract will be either restructured or he'll be released, Raji won't get $8 million a year.

Draft a TE this year, see what Bostick is capable of and let Finley walk.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
Is it you, Blake Baratz??? To compare Finley to Graham is ridiculous!!!

It's no sure thing Finley will be able to play and giving him that kind of money would be stupid considering how many free agents we have and the need to fill huge holes on defense.

Williams' contract will be either restructured or he'll be released, Raji won't get $8 million a year.

Draft a TE this year, see what Bostick is capable of and let Finley walk.

I didn't say he was Jimmie Graham but his numbers were heading in that direction and I do think he is better after the catch then Graham. So let Finley go?Let James Jones go? Let Kuhn go? Hmmmm, looks like our offense is taking steps "Backwards", all so we can throw everything on this "3-4" defense that breaks everyone's heart it seems every year. Were not the Seattle Seahawks or the Niners with a 750k dollar qb and can build a 40 million dollar D-line. Never gonna happen. Not with Rodger or Matthews contracts. We're gonna have to score points and IMO that's keeping at least Finley.

BorderRivals.com

Cheesehead
Reaction score
IF he's cleared to pay, it all comes down to what it would cost. I think the Pack should make every effort to resign Finley. He's improved from his inconsistent ways and was proving to be a key cog in this offense before his injury. And it'd be foolish to let a talent like JMike walk away. TE's that are as versatile as JMike - think about how he lines up nearly everywhere in the formation - are hard to come by. And his presence on the field absolutely forces teams to account for him. And remember, he's only 26 years old still! I'd hate to lose him because TE's like him make a huge difference for offenses.

I realize our cap situation. But, I really hope the Pack can somehow fit him in, even if it's only short-term.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
IF he's cleared to pay, it all comes down to what it would cost. I think the Pack should make every effort to resign Finley. He's improved from his inconsistent ways and was proving to be a key cog in this offense before his injury. And it'd be foolish to let a talent like JMike walk away. TE's that are as versatile as JMike - think about how he lines up nearly everywhere in the formation - are hard to come by. And his presence on the field absolutely forces teams to account for him. And remember, he's only 26 years old still! I'd hate to lose him because TE's like him make a huge difference for offenses.

I realize our cap situation. But, I really hope the Pack can somehow fit him in, even if it's only short-term.

Thank You. 100 percent agreed!

Members online

Latest posts