Finley update

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
Finley will undergo more tests on Wednesday and will send the results to all 32 teams in the league afterwards. He says the Steelers have offered him a deal but the money wasn´t close to what it´s supposed to be.

If Finley really hopes for an offer close to the $10 million tax-free he´s going to get by not playing in the league anymore his playing days are over even if some teams clear him medically.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...-free-agent-nfl-test-spinal-surgery/12657737/

Yes. When you throw in the financial element of Finley's situation I don't see anyone taking that type of gamble on him. I think the door of Finley playing again has pretty much closed unless he comes back and plays on the cheap to show he can still play at the same level and show the neck or the trauma of the injury is not an issue.

I was hoping so badly Finley would be back in green and gold but right now it does not look like something that has much of a chance if any.

Green and Gold

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Assuming Finley has received medical clearance, there's no way they will have room to bring him back unless it's for the veteran minimum. Would you rather have an oft-injured, mercurial tight end who has a knack for dropping balls in clutch situations, or would you rather extend your two biggest playmakers, both of whom basically catch everything? Yeah, that's not a tough decision.

On the other hand, if he signs a big deal with another team, yay compensatory third round draft pick for us next season. That's how you keep a team sustainable in the salary cap era. I know it sucks, I like Finley too. But you can't keep everyone, and I would so much rather they keep Cobb and Nelson.

cara murphy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Now the most important point should be considered by Finley is not salary,but weather he have a chance to play again. The trauma is a big issue for him, he must prove that he can play and play well like before.

D

Deleted member 6794

Assuming Finley has received medical clearance, there's no way they will have room to bring him back unless it's for the veteran minimum. Would you rather have an oft-injured, mercurial tight end who has a knack for dropping balls in clutch situations, or would you rather extend your two biggest playmakers, both of whom basically catch everything? Yeah, that's not a tough decision.

On the other hand, if he signs a big deal with another team, yay compensatory third round draft pick for us next season. That's how you keep a team sustainable in the salary cap era. I know it sucks, I like Finley too. But you can't keep everyone, and I would so much rather they keep Cobb and Nelson.

The Packers have $13.6 million in cap space at the moment so they could afford to bring Finley back. I agree with you though that I would rather have them signing both Nelson and Cobb.

As TeamTundra already mentioned the Packers wouldn't receive a compensatory pick if Finley signed with another team.

D

Deleted member 6794

Yeah, I agree. I would take that fat insurance check and live the good life. What is it, like 10 million, right?

Yeah, it´s $10 million tax-free. I´m not sure though he will be able to collect the money after he was cleared to return to the league by his own surgeon.

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
Yeah, it´s $10 million tax-free. I´m not sure though he will be able to collect the money after he was cleared to return to the league by his own surgeon.

"His" doctor is gunna say yes, most likely getting a kick back. Other "team docs" are saying NO. Seems to me like he is finished in the NFL. He should took the money and run.

D

Deleted member 6794

You'd presume the league would ask their own medical team to make an analysis on the insurance payout, surely?

The league doesn´t have anything to do with it, the insurance company will take a closer look at his medical situation though.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Here's an article talking about the policy. As the article says, the language of the disability policy controls so since the Steelers doctor (who performed the surgery) cleared him to play and the Steelers apparently have offered him a couple of contract deals, it's unlikely the insurance company will pay him.
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...10-million-may-not-be-so-easy-for-him-to-get/

If he can come back and play as he has, he would likely eclipse the $10M after taxes figure over the next few years. Of course the two big ifs are if he can play as he did and if he can stay healthy. But he should be financially secure anyway. I couldn't find details of his rookie deal but he had to make $2M+ for those four years and then made $14M over the past two seasons. Even with taxes and expenses...

thisisnate

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Here's an article talking about the policy. As the article says, the language of the disability policy controls so since the Steelers doctor (who performed the surgery) cleared him to play and the Steelers apparently have offered him a couple of contract deals, it's unlikely the insurance company will pay him.
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...10-million-may-not-be-so-easy-for-him-to-get/

If he can come back and play as he has, he would likely eclipse the $10M after taxes figure over the next few years. Of course the two big ifs are if he can play as he did and if he can stay healthy. But he should be financially secure anyway. I couldn't find details of his rookie deal but he had to make $2M+ for those four years and then made $14M over the past two seasons. Even with taxes and expenses...

I wouldn't be shocked if he were nearly broke. That's not a character statement at all, just an acknowledgement of how poorly many of these knuckleheads manage their money.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
Is it just me or did it seem his wife decided to divorce him the second he considered the insurance policy?

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Put Finley with a good qb and he is going to be a top 5 tightend if he ever resigns, and stop being greedy listening to his agents. Lots of people are going to eat their words and I for one would like to see him back here. He's good for 800 plus with 7-8 touchdowns a yr if he stays healthy.

D

Deleted member 6794

He will have a hard time getting anything more than an incentive-laden, proof you can still play, one year contract for the 2014 season. And it seems like he doesn´t want to sign such a deal.

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
between his over inflated ego and his ULTRA bone headed manager, they are looking to land a deal for more than what he got in GB? LMAO.....good luck pal. Maybe he can be cleared to play in the CFL

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It seems to me. Offense, defense, even special teams. The only thing missing if Finley at TE. Yea Quarless should get better and is a receiving threat on his own. Rodger and Bostic bring their own strengths. But....... I will miss that deep threat Finley brought to the TE position...

I don't see anyone stopping us with Nelson/ Cobb/Boykin/ Finley/Lacy.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts