Favre says he's leaning toward retirement

krd005

Cheesehead
Reaction score
digsthepack said:
You know, as much as I love Brett Favre, and everything he stands for as a player and a person, some of you fail to understand how damn difficult it has to be for TT to manage this situation. Favre, wrongly, has been talking retirement for 4 years...and the talk continues. How the hell does a manager/coach plan around all the uncertainty surrounding their most critical player?

Truth be told, Favre should commit to 2 or 3 years or walk away. To come back just to come back on a year-to-year basis is senseless....and impossible to manage in terms of player strategies and draft planning.

As much as I love the guy, it is, and has always been, Brett Favre who feeds the retirement beast and all the questions and uncertainty that comes with it.

He doesn't have to committ to anything.....Why is it ******* TT? What is he going to do differently? Aron Rogers is his man. He drafted him last year first round didn't he? Unless he guessed wrong and Rogers sucks. TT is supposed to be the next coming so I'm sure he has it all figured out. Or does he..........

He never once has started a press conference by saying I might retire...the press ask over and over the same questions...usually after a loss.

If I was him I would wait and see what TT does to make the team better before I do anything. Last year TT did next to nothing to make the team better. TT and the Packers needs to step up and show him that we can be competitive!

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well.......either way, i will be there cheering the Packers on this coming season. No matter WHO is behind center.
Besides.......if they stink, it makes it LOTS easiet to get tickets!

Daz666

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Favre IS Favre. He is one of a kind, Unique.. At the end of the day he will do what HE wants to do. Over the years (IMHO) he has always done just that and that is why we have so many great memories of him, so many last minute drives, so many " How did he do thats" We could all name many great players but not many that fall into No 4's catagory. I think he has earned the right to think out this tough decision. We ALL owe him that much

Rant Over

Daz666

Cheesehead
Reaction score
cheesey said:
Well.......either way, i will be there cheering the Packers on this coming season. No matter WHO is behind center.

Nice One mate :wink:

PackwillBEback

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ok, I'm sorry Brett.

But, what the **** are you doing???

Stop holding this franchise hostage.

Make up your mind. It seems like he has no passion left, and it sounds like his mental tank is empty. I don't blame him if he wants to still play and play somewhere else. He doesn't want to come back to be a .500 team or even a playoff team. He wants one thing, another ring. I don't think the Pack will be there for a couple years, you can't make a jump from 4-12 to Super Bowl Champs. If Favre thinks they can win in two years, maybe he comes back.

But honestly is there any incentive for him to return if they aren't going to be competing in the playoffs or let alone competing in the Super Bowl.

I hate to say it, but it might be done.

He loves to play, but he doesn't want to lose.

LambeauLeaper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
But honestly is there any incentive for him to return if they aren't going to be competing in the playoffs or let alone competing in the Super Bowl.

And the thing is there is no way TT or MM can do anything to guarantee Favre they will be able to do that. The only thing they can do is promise Favre they will do their best to be competitive this year. From what I have heard, this is what they did. This is what burns me about all of the TT-haters on this board. It's been said that TT and MM need to go to Miss. and talk with Favre. Now that they've done that "it's just a PR move". What the hell do you WANT?? It's quite obvious that some people will simply NEVER be satisfied and to argue with them is like talking to a brick wall.

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
digs is exactly right. Favre could've squelched the retirement speculation right away if he had issued some sort of blanket statement or just said "no comment" or something to that effect anytime he was asked about it. Sure, some journalists still would've written articles about it, but not nearly as many, and they wouldn't have been nearly as interesting. Instead, Favre gave them many different answers, which kept things interesting. He was just being honest, but had to know that he was leaving himself open for more and more questions.

And I agree with LambeauLeaper that at some point Favre DOES need to commit 100% to the team. That's what all players need to do, otherwise they're not worth a darn. I'm fine with Favre waiting another month to decide. But last year he damaged his value to the team by waiting until well after the start of free agency, and if he does the same thing again he will damage his value even more. It's not smart for management to assume that a player will be back if the player himself is unsure. Thompson will have to hedge his bets.

Personally, I think some of those comments Favre made in that interview, especially the one about not being sure if he wants the ball in crunch time, are almost equivalent to burning his bridges. If Favre does come back and play this year, and it gets down to crunch time, his opponents will be remembering what Favre said, and so will his teammates and coaches.

PWT36

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Farve is going to play his final year or years in Green Bay or retire. based on what is best for Brett Favre and his family, not on any thing Packer GM Ted Thompson says to him or does to improve Green Bay playing personel. This has no impact on Favre's decision. Making a decison on retiring for a NFL quarterback who still has skills to be very good Quarterback is very difficult decision to make. Brett is the son of Career high school coach and game of football has been an important part of Favre family Life for many years. Brett loves to play the game and the Favre family ,as well as, all his many friends in Kiln and state of Ms. love to watch him play football. make. He will have to make a decsion about first week in March. So Packers know what important decisions the Packer must make concerning obtaining free agents in Free Agency which starts March 7th.

Most of the Brett Favre retirement controversy for the past three years or more was generated by the media to create sensational stories about very popular NFL player, who is a Future Hall of Famer and 3 time MVP Quarterback of High profile NFL franchise --the Green Bay Packers. The R question was asked at almost every interview with Farve by the Media. Brett would try to answer that question honestly and as best he could . The media would place"it's own spin" on his answer and "blow " his answer out of proportion.

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Bill Plaschke is an *******...

What the hell did Favre ever do to this guy? He downright hates Favre saying that Favre hasn't "had it" since the year 2000....

I hate these mental midgets who never played the game, but shoot their mouths off like they're experts or something...

Nothin' but a bunch of *******...in my book..

NDPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
PWT36 said:
Farve is going to play his final year or years in Green Bay or retire. based on what is best for Brett Favre and his family, not on any thing Packer GM Ted Thompson says to him or does to improve Green Bay playing personel. This has no impact on Favre's decision. Making a decison on retiring for a NFL quarterback who still has skills to be very good Quarterback is very difficult decision to make. Brett is the son of Career high school coach and game of football has been an important part of Favre family Life for many years. Brett loves to play the game and the Favre family ,as well as, all his many friends in Kiln and state of Ms. love to watch him play football. make. He will have to make a decsion about first week in March. So Packers know what important decisions the Packer must make concerning obtaining free agents in Free Agency which starts March 7th.

Most of the Brett Favre retirement controversy for the past three years or more was generated by the media to create sensational stories about very popular NFL player, who is a Future Hall of Famer and 3 time MVP Quarterback of High profile NFL franchise --the Green Bay Packers. The R question was asked at almost every interview with Farve by the Media. Brett would try to answer that question honestly and as best he could . The media would place"it's own spin" on his answer and "blow " his answer out of proportion.

Actually PWT36, I agree with most of your post except for the fact that Favre won't put any weight based on what TT does to improve player personnel. I don't agree with that at all. If TT pulls the trigger on a few deals and can prove to #4 that the team is ready to compete now, he will use that in part to make a decision.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
P@ck66 said:
I hate these mental midgets who never played the game, but shoot their mouths off like they're experts or something...

how many seasons have you played, favre66? just curious.

Ive played 0 pro years myself, but then again i dont have the same opinion as you do on the matter.

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
TT-hemroidaz...

Now you're defending Plaschke???

Jeez..Your Favre hatred runs deep...

What are you going to do if the TT experiment fails miserably?

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
no i dont even like plascskcske. But the guys have been around sports 20+ ..i give them some slack. of course he is out of line here, but everyone gets outrageous on some subjects. See scoop jackson and bill simmons. most of the time they are homeruns, but some subjects...its like they are insane.

i dont dismiss things that i disagree with because of the fact that they might not have played any ball. that doesnt make sense.

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
P@ck66 said:
Bill Plaschke is an *******...

What the hell did Favre ever do to this guy? He downright hates Favre saying that Favre hasn't "had it" since the year 2000....

Man....are you in a *****y mood tonight! I like it...AND...I agree 100%.

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
i guess that's cos' my beer light is low..DePack..

time to crack a few cold-ones....

musccy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If you were TT, would you approach FA differently if Favre retired?

If the answer is yes, then you should see why Brett should be obligated to make some sort of commtiment to the team, one way or the other.

NDPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's a commitment both need to show towards each other - I'm not convinced Favre is showing a commitment to MM and TT either right now. He says he's not sure he's got it, not sure if he wants the ball at crunch time, not sure if he's mentally focused enough to play....

The Packers have said nothing but they want the man back in GB for next season. What they fail to do is bring in the talent that Favre needs around him to compete!

I think if both sides come together, this team could be very competitive next season....let's hope anyway.

arrowgargantuan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
LambeauLeaper said:
What is he supposed to do...Is he supposed to say "I totally will commit to you TT and your vision for the GB Packers, even though I, and everyone else, doesn't fully know what it is as yet"..?
At some point..YES. Either he needs to be 100% committed or retire. The key here is that no one has given Favre a deadline to return, but both parties realize that a decision needs to be made before March 3 when FA starts. Funny thing is, both sides (Brett and Packers) are being patient with this. The ones that aren't are the media and the fans.

Is there supposed to be blind obedience to the Packer brass on Brett's part?
Of course not..no one said there should be. Again, putting words in people's mouths. Pack, you just tend to take people's thoughts and exaggerate them to make your point seem more valid.

and I don't know where you were when Brett said.."I don't know what the future of the GB Packer organization is, and whether they consider Brett Favre to be a part of it"....?
And you probably don't even remember where you were when he said that considering how long ago this comment was made and everything that has transpired since then.

I guess my point is that people should stop trying to place blame on something that hasn't even happened yet. The bottom line is that if Favre retires, he probably has good reason to. Maybe it's because he feels the Packers can't compete, maybe he doesn't feel the fire he used to, maybe he wants to spend more time with his family. In any case, it's not any ONE person's "fault". Favre himself has said numerous times that he's going to retire eventually. TT himself has said in a recent interview that they want to win now and that he doesn't have a 5 year plan.

musccy said:
If you were TT, would you approach FA differently if Favre retired?

If the answer is yes, then you should see why Brett should be obligated to make some sort of commtiment to the team, one way or the other.

these 2 comments are far too rational for a topic like this. if see any more patient reasoning or logical rebuttals in here i'm breakin out the yard stick :lol:

Reaction score
You know what, regardless of what happens, but even if Brett says he is 99% sure about retiring, I will still hold on to that 1% of hope.

As is the case now, he says he still MIGHT come back. Until he retires, I'm more than willing to hear him say he MIGHT retire. As long as there is hope, I will not speculate on what to do without him. (That is why I am no GM)

Regardless, It is safe to say that TT's job could get a LOT harder.

Philtration

Cheesehead
Reaction score
P@ck66 said:
digs...no way..

What some of you people fail to realize is that Brett Favre doesn't "owe" anything to the Green Bay Packers.....

If anything...TT and MM..owe some kind of committment to him....by showing Favre that they are committed to winning in GB NOW....

Not in 4 years..or even in 2...but NOW! Steve Young said it in the beginning of the season...and it still holds true...

What should Brett Favre care about 4 years down the road with the GB Packers when he only has 1 or 2 more seasons left?

What? Favre does not "owe" anything to the Packers?
All they did was rescue him from obscurity in Atlanta, give him a chance to play and then start even when the Packers already had a fan favorite and the most successful QB in team history since Bart Starr in Majkowski, pay him millions of dollars, surround him with pro-bowl talent which resulted in a hall of fame career, give him forever and a day to report to camp when his teammates were already hard at work and then let him hold the team by the balls while he mopes about not being committed to playing and maybe not even wanting the ball in his hands with 2 minuets left and the game on the line.
That cowardly statement alone should have been the Packers cue to tell him so long.
Maybe I am spoiled from seeing players like Walter Payton, Michael Jordan, Bob Love, Bruce Sutter, Rich Gossage, Lee Smith, Fergie Jenkins. Players who "wanted" that ball with the game on the line.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i agree with phil there. GB took a huge chance on a mediocre alcholic pill popper in atlanta. he does owe them a little. even if its him saying "i quit"

carol k

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Favre was not an alcoholic pill popper. The pills that he was taking were medication prescribed by a doctor, and he became addicted to them. Other people have the same problem. He was not an alocholic. Just because someone likes to drink does NOT make them an alcoholic. I love my beer, wine, and Mike's hard lemonade, but I do not indulge excessively. There were all kinds of Rumors that Fave got kicked out of bars in Hayward WI because of his drinking. We talked to the owners, and they said that was not true.

Members online

Latest posts