Favre rethinking retirement

Gattocheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think we have a better shot than anybody else out there to get to the Super Bowl if Brett was wanting to come back. But.....if he were to go to another team, it would make be start believing in all those crazy conspiracy theories about TT pushing him out.

Its not going to happen. The papers need news and Brett sells sports papers and headlines. So any little dirt or question mark will be over examined to make a story.

mkapp

Cheesehead
Reaction score
lol good idea on trading him...what if we pulled off a trade with New England for Randy Moss. oh the irony!

sorry, its early.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Raider Pride said:
Favre said he's done. He's not a liar.

A few years ago I said I was done drinking. Crown Royal was not doing it for me any more.

I was telling the truth. I was done.

Now I am drinking Vodka and will have a bottle of Grey Goose beside my lap top during the Draft Day Tromdaz Lounge.

Brett and I are both telling the truth. We were both done. We are not liars.

Saying one is "done" has many meanings.
If he came back NEXT YEAR and said he wanted to play somewhere, i could see and understand that. He said he didn't want to play anymore. I took that to mean what he said. He doesn't want to play. Yes, that could change, and if it does then the Packers will get some draft picks or something.
Could he change his mind? Sure he could.
I just don't see it happening. It could, but i don't think it will.

Cal2GreenBay

Cheesehead
Reaction score
PackerChick said:
We need to hear the rumor from Brett himself.

Guess his pilot and his agent aren't good enough?

My wife and best friend may have an opinion of what I'm thinking..
but more often than not..they are not right. I still have my own thoughts.

I think Brett should have that same distinction.

You guy REALLY can't let him go can you????

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
longtimefan said:
PackerChick said:
We need to hear the rumor from Brett himself.

Guess his pilot and his agent aren't good enough?

My wife and best friend may have an opinion of what I'm thinking..
but more often than not..they are not right. I still have my own thoughts.

I think Brett should have that same distinction.

You guy REALLY can't let him go can you????
It's not us.....it's the goofy media that keeps making stuff up.
Me, i'm fine with the fact that he retired. He gave us 17 years of fun, and he earned his time off.

OP
OP
Zombieslayer

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Its not going to happen. The papers need news and Brett sells sports papers and headlines. So any little dirt or question mark will be over examined to make a story.

This is exactly what I think, but the reason I posted it is because I wanted to hear what everyone else thought about these rumors.

My personal feeling - he's burned out. He was honest in his retirement speech. There is no TT conspiracy. Favre is sick of all the crap that comes with being an NFL player.

Also my personal feeling - in '08, he'll watch a few games on TV and second guess his decision. In '09, he'll come back to an AFC team. He loves the game too much and we all know he has 2 to 3 good seasons left in him. He was the 2nd best QB in the NFL in '07. We all know that. He knows that.

The same thing happened to Michael Jordan. The same thing happened to Jerry Rice. It's not just sports. Look at Ozzy Osbourne. Look at a lot of great performers who said they're retire but will keep doing what they'll do. Watch Steven King announce his retirement from writing and watch him take a few years off, then write yet another book.

They love what they do too much to quit for good.

Keep in mind, this is my personal opinion. I do not know Brett Favre personally so I'm guessing this all, but I do have a degree in History and we all know what they say about history...

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
That should just about put an end to the conspiracy theories.. it closes the door in my mind. Not saying much but I think to is a classy move on Ted part.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/football/nfl/04/04/favre.denial/index.html

At the NFL meetings this week, Green Bay GM Ted Thompson said he wanted to visit Favre in Mississippi after the draft. Thompson just wants to say thanks for everything, and to have some quiet time with him.

"Good,'' said Favre. "I'll put him to work.''

More..

But will he? That's something he can't know for sure. Only time will tell. In a rambling discourse about how he thinks he'll feel when the season starts and if he'll be tempted to play, he said, "I suppose anything could happen.'' But the reason that quote is not in the lead of this story is because it's an honest reflection of a man who won't try to predict the future. Ninety-nine percent of what he said in a 20-minute conversation was very much about football being in the rearview mirror. And he certainly would not want the Packers or any other team to line up, hoping he'd change his mind in August and come in to save a sorry quarterback situation.

"How will I feel in four months? Who knows? I'm sure I'll miss it on Sundays," Favre said. "But football's so much more than 16 Sundays. It's about all the other stuff -- the preparation, the off-field stuff. And I don't miss any of that.''

grabthar

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ok, let's take a quote from Brett Favre himself.

Favre, agent shoot down report of comeback

ESPN.com news services

Updated: April 4, 2008, 12:27 PM ET

Is Brett Favre Considering a Comeback?

Brett Favre and his agent have shot down a published report that the Green Bay Packers quarterback, who announced his retirement last month, could be weighing a comeback with another team.

The Los Angeles Times, citing unnamed NFL sources, reported that Favre's agent, James "Bus" Cook, had quietly inquired with teams about their interest in trading for the 38-year-old veteran.

Not true, Favre said, according to Sports Illustrated's Web site.

"That's the last thing I'm thinking about,'' Favre said, according to SI.com. "I have no idea where that came from, but it certainly didn't come from me. I'm happy about my decision and I haven't once said, 'I wonder if I made the wrong decision.' I know it's the right one.''

"It's crazy to me that I'm the guy they're all talking about, and the story is out there everywhere, and I have nothing to do with it,'' Favre said, according to SI.com. "It's not something I'm thinking about. It's kind of funny. Even when I'm retired, they won't let me stay retired.''

Cook, asked Thursday about the report, told ESPN, "That is absolutely false. Absolutely false, and you can quote me on that."

Cook was quoted in The Times story as saying that any word of Favre's interest in continuing his career was "news to me."

"I don't think that has anything to do with anything. He's retired, period, point blank," Cook told The Times.

Favre announced his retirement on March 7, saying he was mentally and physically drained. But he has yet to file his paperwork with the NFL, and his rights still belong to the Packers, who could trade him to another team.

The Times reported that according to league sources, Favre's decision to retire was partially influenced by his frustration that the Packers didn't make a more aggressive attempt to sign wide receiver Randy Moss in 2007 or 2008.

But Cook denied any link between Moss and Favre's decision to retire, according to The Times.

"As far as Randy's deal with New England, there were never any negotiations with Green Bay," he said, according to the report. "As far as I know, Brett retired because he was tired and burned out."

Favre reiterated that point on Friday.

"How will I feel in four months? Who knows? I'm sure I'll miss it on Sundays. But football's so much more than 16 Sundays," Favre said, according to SI.com. "It's about all the other stuff -- the preparation, the off-field stuff. And I don't miss any of that."

PackFanInSC

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Raider Pride said:
umair said:
its not going to be the same if he goes to another team.

It would certainly be a cold slap in the face to all of us if he did.

Why on earth would it be "A Cold Slap In The Face?"

What more do wee all want from him, other than to "Thank Him" and say; "Do what ever makes you happy. You earned it Brett."

No one knows if he felt he was pushed out? No one knows if at his age he just said; "Man that game in Chicago, and the NFC Championship Game killed me. I just can not take the cold any longer, I still want to play the game, and I would love to finish my career in Tampa Bay."

No one knows. But if he chooses to play two more years closer to home, and in a warm weather city, why would anyone consider it a slap in the face?

He earned that opportunity to end his career the way he damn well wants to end it. It will take nothing away from what he did on the field for the Packers for the last 16 years.

Just my thoughts. Nothing personal. I was not pointing you out persoanally. I am just making a point about that sort of thinking by many Packer Fans.

R.P.

RP, You mean a warm weather city -- like Oakland?? :wink:

If he went anywhere (which I doubt), and my being in the Carolinas, my vote would be for the Panthers. They have serious QB problems and are, you may remember, the team that Reggie "unretired" to play for.

Krazygangsta

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Guys guys he RETIRED its over ... If he wanted to play for another team he would of asked for a trade instead of making a nation wide retirement. Second of all were top 4-5 teams in NFL, why would he want to go another top team where he would be the backup and if he is starter then his probably in a dolphins jersey a team that sucks. In conclusion its just a media news to get more fans read another one of there dumb news

Members online

Latest posts