Favre likely to decide next week

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
linky:

Web was wrong; Favre likely to decide next week

By Pete Dougherty
[email protected]

A technical snafu on the Green Bay Packers’ Web site today created a short-lived uproar that quarterback Brett Favre was retiring, but an NFL source familiar with Favre’s thinking said he hasn’t made up his mind and probably will announce next week whether he’ll return for his 18th NFL season.

The headline and picture that popped up on the Packers’ site for about 4 minutes said Favre is retiring but had no story accompanying it, and it caused a short-lived frenzy among Internet media before the error was explained by the Packers.

Jeff Blumb, the team’s director of public relations, said the Web site followed a common journalistic practice of preparing ahead of time for Favre’s possible retirement, and that the link mistakenly was activated by a non-Packers employee who assists with the technical aspects of the site.

Favre, though, hasn’t made his decision more than a month after the Packers’ 2007 season ended with a loss in the NFC championship game.

The NFL source familiar with his thinking said Favre is struggling with whether to return.

The source confirmed that, as coach Mike McCarthy has said recently, Favre has no qualms about his ability to play at a high level — he’ll turns 39 on Oct. 10 — but he’s weighing whether he can commit himself to an arduous offseason of working out and attending offseason practices, plus the weekly grind of studying for opponents and practicing during the season.

Last season, Favre told people close to him that in many ways it was as much fun as he’s ever had in the NFL while leading a young team to a surprising 13-3 record and deep into the playoffs.

But the season undoubtedly also was a major drain on Favre, because he carried more of a load with his increased involvement in game planning and extra studying for each week’s opponent, as well as working with his young receivers and running backs in practices and meetings.

Favre took 32 days from the end of the Packers’ 2006 season to announce his return and anticipated making a quicker decision this year. Today is the 40th day since the Packers’ loss to the New York Giants in the NFC championship game.

The Web site Profootballtalk.com first reported today’s errant announcement on the Packers’ Web site, and then its quick removal.

---------------------------

Raider Pride

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Trom,

With all due respect.... As a friend.

Can you dump the avatar with Aaron Rodgers mustache.

That Stache is haunting me.

I can not read one of your posts without looking at that mustache every five seconds. It is like a nose hair one needs to pluck out, it causes a loss of concentration.

While I am trying to read your posts. Arron's' mustache is like a gnawing tooth ache that breaks one concentration. I read one line of your post, look at the stache and have to read the first line of of your post again to collect my concentration.

Then I read another line of your post and my eyes dart back to the mustache that I need to shave off.

My concentration is all messed up.

Get rid of that avatar.... Please.

R.P.