Expectations for 2020

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Record wise they'll regress in all likelihood, it has been nearly impossible for a team with 13 or more wins to repeat that the next season. However, I actually think we will be a better team.

If someone forced me to place an over/under number on wins I'd be right at 10.

That said this very moment I'm gonna go with 11-5

H

HardRightEdge

10-11 wins seems about about right if there is a full season. Net-net, I don't see any material improvement in the roster and 2020 is not likely to be as injury friendly.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think we are better this year though I agree that may not translate into victories. I gotta, gotta believe our D line will be better. Can't really say how, but we have to be better. Maybe the linebackers will make the D line look better and I do believe we will be better there. I think the TE will be more productive. Don't know about the receivers. We have a new receivers coach...right? Would like a few more pics and I don't think that is too much to ask for. Hope we can play.

D

Deleted member 6794

We have a new receivers coach...right?

True, Jason Vrable is the team's new receivers coach entering this season.

Would like a few more pics and I don't think that is too much to ask for.

The Packers ranked third in the NFL in interceptions with 17 last season. It might be too much to ask to improve on that.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers ranked third in the NFL in interceptions with 17 last season. It might be too much to ask to improve on that.
Well, I can't argue with that. I am surprised. I might say I would like Alexander to get a few more.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, I can't argue with that. I am surprised. I might say I would like Alexander to get a few more.

Interceptions are not a blind measure to judge a DB off of at all. It is purely a cherry on top, and honestly sometimes a guy may have a few more picks because he guesses or attempts to jump far too often...giving up say 12 big plays BUT getting 2 picks.

Jaire is a stud, he keeps polishing his game out I don't care if he gets zero interceptions for the next 4 years.

D

Deleted member 6794

Interceptions are not a blind measure to judge a DB off of at all. It is purely a cherry on top, and honestly sometimes a guy may have a few more picks because he guesses or attempts to jump far too often...giving up say 12 big plays BUT getting 2 picks.

Jaire is a stud, he keeps polishing his game out I don't care if he gets zero interceptions for the next 4 years.

Alexander is definitely a very good cornerback but sometimes gets beat too often to my liking to call him a stud yet.

Reaction score
I see 11-5 and division sweep.
Wish I was that optimistic. Partly I’ve been pulled down to earth on 2nd year offenses. It’s relatively level as to the increase vs decrease in production. I know we all like to see a sizable growth that 2nd year its not historically evidenced. Although it’s my guess that MLF is ahead of the Coaching curve and I think we witnessed that last season. Winning 14 games isn’t all luck as some would have us believe either. We might’ve had a game or 2 that could’ve been lost but we still would’ve won the Division the same.

I think we go into the playoffs at 11-5 or 10-6 with a little more robust feel than 2019. Much of that will be our developing Running attack by seasons end. I can see a 4-2 or 5-1 Division record and 7-3 or 6-4 type record outside the North. Our floor is likely 9-7 and our ceiling 12-4.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
OK...this is off the wall. But I watch NFL network a lot even though it is really boring mostly. Anyway, seems like everytime I look at the screen; the Packers are on the bottom scrolling news. Maybe it's the colors. Or maybe it's the universe saying we are winning it all this year. Just get in the playoffs. ;)

Reaction score
OK...this is off the wall. But I watch NFL network a lot even though it is really boring mostly. Anyway, seems like everytime I look at the screen; the Packers are on the bottom scrolling news. Maybe it's the colors. Or maybe it's the universe saying we are winning it all this year. Just get in the playoffs. ;)
Or... Yellow and Gold are complimentary colors and make you feel joy and the the calm of nature. We should consider changing our colors to solid Turf Green with white hash lines on our uniforms every 1 yard..so we blend. That’s gotta he good for at least 1 more close Win :tup:

GreenNGold_81

Cheesehead
Reaction score
10-6 seems like a fair prediction. I expect the NFC North to be a bit more of a battle. The Lions being healthy and the Bears with Foles will be tougher challenges. If we don't fix our run defense Minnesota may also be tough.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers will struggle against teams with a good running attack due to superior o line talent. They were gashed against the run last season and that won't change because of the lack of upgrades in the offseason. The games against SF, Philly, Tenn, Indy, and NO will be uphill tasks. Throw in a few games against qb's that have had plenty of success against GB like Ryan of Atlanta, Brady and Stafford and a 10 win season would be a major accomplishment.
Yeah and if I remember the Lions ran pretty well against GB, at least in the second game. No one will confuse the Lions with a powerhouse.

So yeah, the run D has to step up, and Pettine needs to understand the NFL is more than just a passing league.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
10-6 seems like a fair prediction. I expect the NFC North to be a bit more of a battle. The Lions being healthy and the Bears with Foles will be tougher challenges. If we don't fix our run defense Minnesota may also be tough.
10 wins seems reasonable along with a lower playoff seeding. 11 wins would not surprise me though but I think that’s the ceiling.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Alexander is definitely a very good cornerback but sometimes gets beat too often to my liking to call him a stud yet.

Easily the best man CB we've had IMO since primes of McKenzie and Harris. I 100% concede you have valid points but Jaire in my opinion has fully earned the stud name.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Nice evaluation of Alexander. And great points about the value (or not) of INTs. I like the “passes defended” metric better when looking at a DB.

Alexander is a stud. If anything, and this will sound strange, he needs to slow down a little. Subjective opinion, but when he misses, it’s when he overruns a play. To me, that’s a nice problem to have. And it’s his third year, so experience alone tends to slow down the game for a player. Their ability to diagnose a play sharpens, and I expect to see more of that from Jaire. He will be an excellent corner for years to come.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If he never got any better, he’s a very good DB in this league. If he starts hanging in to those INTs and he’ll be exceptional and one of the greats in this game.

H

HardRightEdge

The 2011 Packer defense is a case in point.

H

HardRightEdge

Easily the best man CB we've had IMO since primes of McKenzie and Harris. I 100% concede you have valid points but Jaire in my opinion has fully earned the stud name.
I'd give Shields at his best an edge over Alexander so far.

H

HardRightEdge

Man, I did forget Shields, in his prime his was scary as well. Good catch.
Tramon Williams in his prime (and even at age 36) was a good player. We both seem to have forgotten, until this moment, a certain future Hall of Famer, which is kinda inexcusable.

Last edited by a moderator:

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Tramon Williams in his prime (and even at age 36) was a good player. We both seem to have forgotten, until this moment, a certain future Hall of Famer, which is kinda inexcusable.

If you are meaning Charles I debated adding him, BUT he wasn't really an outside CB on the oppositions #1 in his time with us. He was a multi-tool for our defense.

H

HardRightEdge

If you are meaning Charles I debated adding him, BUT he wasn't really an outside CB on the oppositions #1 in his time with us. He was a multi-tool for our defense.
That was 2010, a brilliant season, and forward from there. Even then there was a lot of perimeter corner work. Excluding him from perimeter corner consideration doesn't make much sense.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That was 2010, a brilliant season, and forward from there. Even then there was a lot of perimeter corner work. Excluding him from perimeter corner consideration doesn't make much sense.

I would never argue it, as I said I strongly thought of him.

So I guess one can easily make the argument of the four we have now mentioned honestly it is Harris that is probably the "weakest" of those mentioned that have been brought up.

Woodson
Mckenzie
Shields
Harris

Is how'd I would rank them in their times with us in their prime. Tramon is the closest argument to Jaire IMO...which is saying alot because let's be honest he is still a baby in his NFL career really.

H

HardRightEdge

I would never argue it, as I said I strongly thought of him.

So I guess one can easily make the argument of the four we have now mentioned honestly it is Harris that is probably the "weakest" of those mentioned that have been brought up.

Woodson
Mckenzie
Shields
Harris

Is how'd I would rank them in their times with us in their prime. Tramon is the closest argument to Jaire IMO...which is saying alot because let's be honest he is still a baby in his NFL career really.
One more note: Both Capers and Pettine played/play predominantly fixed corners, Woodson and Alexander at LCB, offense's right side. There really isn't a CB in either of those systems that covers the #1 wideout unless the opponent on a particular day parks that #1 wide right.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The best one two punch at corners was a long time ago. Herb Adderly and Bob Jeter.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts