Exceeding and Failing so far...

Reaction score
I watched Wyatt’s play by play each several times to look for myself. In my opinion he looked very stout against solid veteran competition in Tampa.
Now, It is possible they are planning on him ramping up as the season progresses which is normal. However I think we are missing an opportunity to utilize him much like we did ignoring our run game early in. I’d like to see what he can do with more even distribution for 1 game. Give him 25% snaps.

I do agree with the part about using your best players. That said there is a balance in getting Rookies acclimated and 7 snaps a game will rarely produce favorable results with Wyatt or anyone for that matter. It takes 10 snaps to warm up.
In Tampa, I counted at least 3-4 Wyatt double teams right out of the gate. The second Barry allowed him a 1 on 1 opportunity? He clearly forced an immediate incompletion by Brady (hurry) who grounded the pass to avoid Wyatt’s oncoming assault. This was the first time we lined 3 pass rushers on 1 side and Devonte completely embarrassed Tampa #70. The only way he gets stopped is in Doubles otherwise he wins his rep on 80% of the plays I’ve watched. The rep at 3:35 is becoming regular and it’s clear as day that he’s just the better player on most plays. This isn’t preseason here, these are established veterans in Tampa.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 6794

I watched Wyatt’s play by play each several times to look for myself. In my opinion he looked very stout against solid veteran competition in Tampa.
Now, It is possible they are planning on him ramping up as the season progresses which is normal. However I think we are missing an opportunity to utilize him much like we did ignoring our run game early in. I’d like to see what he can do with more even distribution for 1 game. Give him 25% snaps.

I do agree with the part about using your best players. That said there is a balance in getting Rookies acclimated and 7 snaps a game will rarely produce favorable results with Wyatt or anyone for that matter. It takes 10 snaps to warm up.
In Tampa, I counted at least 3-4 Wyatt double teams right out of the gate. The second Barry allowed him a 1 on 1 opportunity? He clearly forced an immediate incompletion by Brady (hurry) who grounded the pass to avoid Wyatt’s oncoming assault. This was the first time we lined 3 pass rushers on 1 side and Devonte completely embarrassed Tampa #70. The only way he gets stopped is in Doubles otherwise he wins his rep on 80% of the plays I’ve watched. The rep at 3:35 is becoming regular and it’s clear as day that he’s just the better player on most plays. This isn’t preseason here, these are established veterans in Tampa.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Wyatt was significantly improved in limited action vs. the Bucs. We'll see if that results in more snaps moving forward.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My disappointment so far, based on only 3 games, though, has been Watson. I really thought Doubs was the more NFL-ready immediately to play, but I sure thought Watson would be very productive. And his preseason/regular season injury status has held back his development.
Agreed. The injuries were a convenient excuse (and concern) for Watson not doing much. But he seems healthy now and good for one thing only - jet sweeps. With his speed, at least he gets 9 or 0 yards on those plays. But he should be developing a complete route tree. If Gluten was just drafting for speed, he didn't need to draft that high.

It's very early, but Watson is a disappointment.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Watson is about right as I expected. He was an athletic freak at a smaller program that honestly could win and beat his opponents due to his raw skills than his technique and approach to each step, twitch, head position. Refinement and growth as a true WR is all he needs, as he has all the uncoachable physical gifts. I didn't expect him to have gotten this many snaps this fast honestly, and I love the sweep motion role we have decided he will fill.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Watson is about right as I expected. He was an athletic freak at a smaller program that honestly could win and beat his opponents due to his raw skills than his technique and approach to each step, twitch, head position. Refinement and growth as a true WR is all he needs, as he has all the uncoachable physical gifts. I didn't expect him to have gotten this many snaps this fast honestly, and I love the sweep motion role we have decided he will fill.
Agreed. People need to remember what you have pointed out, as well as the fact that it seems that all of the (eventually) good WR's in GB seem to have taken a few years to become solid ones. Obviously, this situation is a bit different from past ones, the REAL need is there for the rookies to step up and be big contributors. Unfortunately, in this case, the needs far exceed what people should be expecting. Doubs has been a nice surprise in how he seems to have caught on pretty quick. However, he will still have his shares of drops and missed routes, so much like Watson, give him time. I am still hoping that Watkins comes back and plays, I think we will need him as injuries mount and the potential of rookies hitting a wall come late Nov. early Dec.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Agreed. People need to remember what you have pointed out, as well as the fact that it seems that all of the (eventually) good WR's in GB seem to have taken a few years to become solid ones. Obviously, this situation is a bit different from past ones, the REAL need is there for the rookies to step up and be big contributors. Unfortunately, in this case, the needs far exceed what people should be expecting. Doubs has been a nice surprise in how he seems to have caught on pretty quick. However, he will still have his shares of drops and missed routes, so much like Watson, give him time. I am still hoping that Watkins comes back and plays, I think we will need him as injuries mount and the potential of rookies hitting a wall come late Nov. early Dec.

I don't think if you ask the staff there has been many moment Doubs has been in the wrong place honestly. It is execution on ball control he needs to grow quicker on.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think if you ask the staff there has been many moment Doubs has been in the wrong place honestly. It is execution on ball control he needs to grow quicker on.

I think Doubs biggest need at this point is to just get stronger. He has not had a full season of professional weight training and quite a bit of his ball control issues would probably be eliminated with additional strength.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Doubs biggest need at this point is to just get stronger. He has not had a full season of professional weight training and quite a bit of his ball control issues would probably be eliminated with additional strength.

Definitely won't hurt for sure!

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Agreed. The injuries were a convenient excuse (and concern) for Watson not doing much. But he seems healthy now and good for one thing only - jet sweeps. With his speed, at least he gets 9 or 0 yards on those plays. But he should be developing a complete route tree. If Gluten was just drafting for speed, he didn't need to draft that high.

It's very early, but Watson is a disappointment.
He still appears farther ahead on the curve than Amari a year ago.

GBkrzygrl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just out of curiosity. Does anyone know what Watson scored on the Wonderlic test?

Reaction score
On the WR front. What’s odd is that Doubs and Watson have reversed my expectations on production thus far. Football is all about momentum and Christian lost valuable time with his knee surgery. However it was a blessing in disguise because Doubs got the spotlight and he shined. We really got an ideal scenario there, a late 4th rounder playing like a #34 overall type (early production) and an early Day 2 WR playing like one would expect from a 4th round selection. If we can get Christian up to speed as the season progresses we’ll have a formidable 1-2 punch.

We are just touching the tip of the iceburg with these two guys. In the meantime we have 2 very capable veterans in Lazard and Cobb holding the Line. Getting Watkins back at some point is a bonus. He’s fully engulfed in this playbook and he’s proven to be formidable when suited up.

Reaction score
As far as our OL, we’ve got a Probowl level LT (David) thrown in the mix and when he’s on that field it shows. His first couple of series we literally marched down the field like the old days. He takes a relative weakness at OL and makes it a relative strength. All the talk about him being finished is gradually and very quietly fading into the rearview mirror.

What I expected Myers to do (rise) has been a concern of sorts, yet Runyon has filled those expectations and is now a very promising LG to the point of PB nomination bound at some point early in his career. So that’s a wash. Myers has very little experience coming into 2022, do he’s really the near equivalent of a mid season Rookie. Even Corey started with some mistakes and I remember Rodgers hollering at him in Seattle. It takes a minute to thrive at this level and get the mistakes out early would be my advice. I have seen Myers on a few run replays pulling and assaulting a Defender 5 yards downfield. He has flashes of A grade ability he just needs to stay in the moment.

Newman seems to have gotten a smidge better and we know that he’s our weakest link. I think he understands he’s under a microscope and there’s a couple of guys itching to take his role. That should keep him motivated to improve.

Elgton is coming back early off a major injury. I’m critical of him (because I know he’s very capable of greatness) but I have very little medium-term concern there. I think he needs another month to distance himself from his surgery. Ti be quite frank, I’m surprised he’s back this soon and while he has had a tough go of it, it’s getting his knee back into football shape. I’ll take several bad plays as a trade off in keeping him in there. I do think Nij can play RT as good or better right now, I’d love try that and see Elgton at RG, but it’s just my opinion.

Reaction score
The Defense. It’s been a mixed bag. I never in a million years would’ve thought we’d get run over by these RB’s. On paper we should be holding teams to 100 yards rushing. Yet to me it seems more schematic and more laziness than it does lack of talent. This part is my opinion, but I think mentally several of these guys were relying on others around them to make plays because they listened to that hype. You still have to earn your keep individually and we have at least 2-3 players playing way below potential. That said, if those players (Amos, Campbell, Walker, Reed, Wyatt, Savage to name a few) get going? Our top #7 D types will go top #3 or better. I think we’ve got a wrecking crew for talent, but our DC need to get them in positions to succeed

Reaction score
Summary. If our expectations as a whole is a 10.0 rating (firing on all cylinders) we are playing at 6.5 rating on Offense and 8.0 on Defense. Lots of room to explode on Offense in particular.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Elementary, my dear Watson! That is in the 98 percentile and WAY above the NFL average of 21. Aaron Rodgers scored a 35. Tom Brady a 33.

BTW....Packer fans......Just R E L A X on Watson! He is from a smaller school and has battled a few injuries. He will be just fine!

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Elementary, my dear Watson! That is in the 98 percentile and WAY above the NFL average of 21. Aaron Rodgers scored a 35. Tom Brady a 33.

BTW....Packer fans......Just R E L A X on Watson! He is from a smaller school and has battled a few injuries. He will be just fine!

I have no clue if he will be fine, but I like the theory behind some saying worst case he will be what MVS was his first season or two before he became a better blocker. I personally expect more, but a healthy Watson probably sees 500 yards a season worst and chips in 4-6 TDs...again worst case.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Fans expecting more from Watson are ignoring the fairly simple route tree he ran in college and the amount of work he needs to put in to improve his route running overall. He's going to run simple routes and jet sweeps this year because that's what he knows how to do; it's going to take a year or two for him to expand his route tree. It's the reason I always thought Doubs would have a chance to be the better receiver early on.

Reaction score
Fans expecting more from Watson are ignoring the fairly simple route tree he ran in college and the amount of work he needs to put in to improve his route running overall. He's going to run simple routes and jet sweeps this year because that's what he knows how to do; it's going to take a year or two for him to expand his route tree. It's the reason I always thought Doubs would have a chance to be the better receiver early on.
The only reason Watson hadn’t been used more are his knee surgery and him tweaking a muscle early in.
In basically little to zero usage, he’s pacing 350 yards and 4 TD’s.

When I combine that with us spending a #34 overall draft selection on him, it spells he will see more duty. If Watson remains relatively healthy, his floor is
400-500 yards and 3TD. His Rookie ceiling after missed time is still in that 800-900 yds/7TD all-purpose

That said, I still wager he’ll be in the ~600 yards 5TD area by playoffs. We’re talking all-purpose usage. He’s multi faceted no telling if it will be rushing, ST or Receiving.

Last edited:

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The only reason Watson hadn’t been used more are his knee surgery and him tweaking a muscle early in.
In basically little to zero usage, he’s pacing 350 yards and 4 TD’s.

When I combine that with us spending a #34 overall draft selection on him, it spells he will see more duty. If Watson remains relatively healthy, his floor is
400-500 yards and 3TD. His Rookie ceiling after missed time is still in that 800-900 yds/7TD all-purpose

That said, I still wager he’ll be in the ~600 yards 5TD area by playoffs. We’re talking all-purpose usage. He’s multi faceted no telling if it will be rushing, ST or Receiving.

Yes, but I'm expecting him to be MVS this season, with Doubs the guy who is able to run the more nuanced route tree. Hopefully Watson can advance beyond just being the fast tall guy and become a complete route runner.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
I definitely don't expect that from Watson in his rookie season. I expect him to be a work in progress for the first two or three years. Much like Nelson and Adams were.

Reaction score
I definitely don't expect that from Watson in his rookie season. I expect him to be a work in progress for the first two or three years. Much like Nelson and Adams were.
Well it’s all just hypothesizing. Much will depend on the health of the group.

You’ve got Cobb doing well in the Slot, Romeo excelling as a perimeter WR, then also Lazard healing up now. So If Sammy comes back Christian is essentially a 5th WR option, which will limit his snaps.
If he’s the 4th WR option he should at least go 500 yards. Keep in mind he’ll probably have 100 rushing itself.
Truth be known they likely only expected 1 Rookie to excel and Romeo has done so well he might eat up Watson’s Rookie snaps. Which is fine he’s earned it.

I think that’s why they are getting #9 involved in The running game and trying to find ways to adapt him into a crowded room. It’s also why I’ve been saying they could use him at KR, he’s got significant experience at KR and he’d help the team in that area. Find ways to get him on that field, he’s too talented to bench.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Thanks. But now I'd like to know if that is a good score or not? :)
I’d Reference PokerBrat’s post #67 just above.
While 38%-tile was where I finished in school, don’t let that substandard fact distract you.
38 is a wonderful score and thats exactly the same thing I told my Momma. :geek:

Last edited:

Members online

Latest posts