1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
  2. Announcement is LIVE: Read the Forum Post

erm not sure what to title this

Discussion in 'Packer Fan Forum' started by scotscheese, Oct 22, 2013.

1. PackerFlatLander

PackerFlatLander Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +294
    I was at the NFC championship game vs. the Giants. Yeah, sitting in 7-below to watch him do what he did best with the season on the line ... that was awesome. Gave me a frozen woody.

:rolleyes:

• Funny Funny x 1
  2. 12theTruth

12theTruth Guest

Ratings:
    +0

Starr was a great QB for his era no doubt. I always get nervous when trying to compare different era players. The players were smaller size wise back in the 1960's and the running game was the primary focus of those Lombardi teams.

Lombardi wouldn't have tolerated Favre' behavior from later in his career though. Some of the Packers players from Lombardi's team hated Lombardi but found that they would win if they did as Lombardi taught. Favre is a tough sonofagun but I really don't think the two alpha male personalities would have done very well coexisting.

Lombardi would have found someone else and traded Favre to the Browns.

3. JBlood

JBlood Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,022
    Lombardi refused to accept mistakes. Favre gave the ball to the other team 1.5 times (fumbles lost + interceptions) EACH GAME HE PLAYED throughout his career. He wouldn't have been allowed to do so under Vince. I's not how you win 5 Championships.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. IluvGB

IluvGB I <3 Packers!!!!

Ratings:
    +845
    After today's news I think its a definite MUST!!! PLEASE!!!!!

Even for a week or so...it would be fun! :tup: Either ***** for his name or even just this....:poop:

"Did you hear? The Ram's reached out for :poop: to see if he'd be their QB"
    or when trolls come on trying to stir things up...

":poop::poop: is the best QB EVER!!!!" :roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:

• Like Like x 2
  5. 12theTruth

12theTruth Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    I agree I think we're pretty much in agreement. Lombardi wouldn't have had the patience to deal with Favre

6. Forget Favre

Forget Favre Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2,674
    I heart you IluvGB.
    You have some of the funnest posts around.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  7. Forget Favre

Forget Favre Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2,674
    Reading this makes me want to get up and run around in a circle 4 times. (Get it?)

8. PackerFlatLander

Ratings:
    +294
    Indeed! :)

9. El Guapo

El Guapo Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,470
    I think that's what you saw with Glanville. He put up with Favre's antics for a year, was amused slightly, and then shipped him off to be someone else's alcoholic problem.

Favre was a wild horse that needed taming. I think that most could agree that Holmgren did a good job of it. Would Lombardi have had the patience to do so, and make him into an even better QB? I doubt it.

Although the talk about Lombardi and turnovers is interesting considering McCarthy. He obviously was on board with TT about moving on to Rodgers, who is turnover adverse. RBs routinely get benched for fumbling. He's no Lombardi but espouse some of the same values.

• Like Like x 1
  10. I_am_smoked_cheddar

I_am_smoked_cheddar Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    images (1)fffffff.jpg

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  11. IluvGB

IluvGB I <3 Packers!!!!

Ratings:
    +845
    Of course ***** would have to weigh in on the concussion story,..just to keep in the news!

oh it worked!!!! :laugh:

j/k.... I keep testing it though!!!:whistling:

12. Trapped In Vikingville

Trapped In Vikingville Trapped

Ratings:
    +156
    "Green and Gold" Kitten!! It's "Green and Gold"!! Green and Yellow? I hope no one else heard that..................

13. PackerFlatLander

Ratings:
    +294
    Quite frankly ... I think "Green and Gold" is just an expression used because it looks and sounds better. But we are not gold. Notre Dame and Purdue, for example - their helmets are gold. The Packers helmet, stripes and pants are absolutely yellow.

• Winner Winner x 2
  14. Royal Pain

Royal Pain Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +116
    I was there as well. Yeah, the thermometor read -7, however I remember the wind chill bringing that down to -20 (It took my feet a week to thaw out.) Anyway, we were 6 rows behind the Packer bench and, as the teams were preparing for OT, I remember two people sitting behind us debating Favres ability to pull out the win. One of them said something to the effect "You watch. The master is getting ready to lead us down the field and we're going to the Super Bowl." Of course, it didn't quite work out that way. What was surprising to me though was, I was also at the Seattle game the week before and he could do no wrong (remember the underhanded off balance throw to the tight end whose name escapes me right now?). Even the snow balls he threw were accurate.

15. El Guapo

El Guapo Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,470
    Not so. Per the Packers website:

• Informative Informative x 1
  16. El Guapo

El Guapo Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,470
    Me too. I remember tailgating beforehand and not even caring about the Patriots/Chargers? championship game beforehand. I wore a million layers under my one piece camo suit. My face was the only thing cold, especially since I brought schnapps and serendipitously discovered that they sell hot chocolate at Lambeau. I also remember how jammed the mens rooms were with people, sitting on the floors, trying to warm up.

I'm pretty sure that was Bubba Franks. I definitely remember the underhanded pass as he was falling down.

Favre was as good as anyone else on the Packers bench that game. He hit Driver for the long score. That whole game was a pile of missed opportunities. Those who want to, remember the last play more than the other bad plays. . . .and let's be honest, that 2007 Giants team pulled off the greatest playoff run that I've ever seen:

- Almost beat the unbeaten Patriots in the season finale, shocking most
    - Shocked most people by beating the favored Buccaneers in Tampa
    - Shocked everyone by beating the dominant Cowboys in Dallas (which would have been a tough road win for GB)
    - Shocked the NFL by beating the Packers in Lambeau on a historically cold day
    - Shocked the world by beating back the Patriots, ending their unbeaten season

You can argue all that you want about specific plays, but that was a tough team to beat in those conditions.

17. PackerFlatLander

Ratings:
    +294
    That is interesting. It depends. I think of the 49ers and the other teams I mentioned, when it comes to "gold".

18. PackerFlatLander

Ratings:
    +294
    I hear you. That game just flat-out sucked. I've never seen a whole town turn into a morgue faster in my entire life.

19. Royal Pain

Royal Pain Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +116

Actually, it was Donald Lee (I had to look it up.)

Personally, I've never blamed Favre for losing that game. Quite frankly, I thought we were lucky to make it to overtime. Like you've documented, the Giants were on a roll at the end of that season. The Packers rode that same momentum to the 2011 Super Bowl.
    This is off topic, but one other thing that bothers me about fans take on that Championship game is the blame that Al Harris gets for the way Plaxico went off in that game. What I took away from that game was how remarkably accurate Eli was in those brutal conditions, and much of that had to do with the play of their offensive line. We had a starting D-line consisting of Cullen Jenkins, Corey Williams, Kampman and KGB, yet Eli had all day to throw the ball.

20. Forget Favre

Forget Favre Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2,674
    Makes perfect sense and 100% absolutely agree.

The Packers gold is not gold in the true sense of the color scheme.
    It is a yellow.
    Another example is the 49ers pants and helmets. Those are gold. Not yellow.

If you walk into a paint store and ask for the color of paint for your man cave to match the Packers, I seriously doubt that it will be labeled as gold. It will be called Meadow or Sun or Daisy Yellow. Or whatever the cutesy name the brand gave it that precedes the word "yellow." It won't be labeled as gold.

• Like Like x 1
  21. I_am_smoked_cheddar

I_am_smoked_cheddar Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    My High School had the same colors. We said green and gold, team colors were green and yellow as well as the Marching Band (in which I was a part of), yet on official documents like diplomas, letterheads, etc. , it was green and gold. It is a bit of a quandary, but many things in life are. We just say Duh and move on . :tup:

22. IluvGB

IluvGB I <3 Packers!!!!

Ratings:
    +845
    I don't know how I missed this gem! :roflmao::roflmao:

23. El Guapo

El Guapo Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,470
    I'm quite certain that in the paint store it is listed as Frozen Tundra Gold :tup:

24. longtimefan

longtimefan Super Moderator Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +2,983

I work in printing industry and use that pms book all the time.

http://www.lynmar.com/pantonechart.pdf

While it is labeled as gold, true golds have a metallic additive and 1235 does not have any metallic....

This is the pms 1235

1235.JPG

These are golds in the pantone (pms) system...

873.JPG
    [​IMG]

Not sure why it was always labeled as gold

25. PackerFlatLander

Ratings:
    +294
    longtimefan ... great info! Based on the color pattern pics you provided, I would say that the 1245 is "gold" (although it could also be a light brown), and the 1235 is closer to yellow, but resembles more of an orange, at least to my eyes. Look at my sig pic - that, to me, is pure yellow, as is the helmet. What is the color code number for that? I"m curious to see what that compares to the 1235.