erm not sure what to title this

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
thanks for all the replies folks, it has certainly shed a lot of light on the subject for me

i'm glad there was no bickering, as i realised that the subject could have some emotional baggage still

i'd forgotten about him going to the jets first, and didn't know about the disturbing of training camp and the messages etc...

it's a shame things ended the way they did, as he is probably the main reason that i started following the packers.
I agree with you that it is too bad the way it ended.
But for those of us who hated what BF did, it ended happily when he threw away the playoff, just like he did for the Packers for all those years, for the Vikings against the Taints.

in AR we have a replacement that is just as good throwing, but i feel he has a better head on him than BF, onwards and upwards
From watching all those throws and completions and interceptions I think it was more luck than skill.
And for Air-Run, it's the opposite.
Air-Run comes in better prepared and makes smart throws and even though there have been times when he's been criticized for hanging onto the ball too long, at least he didn't just chuck it down the field hoping it would be caught by the right player as Brett did.

IluvGB

I <3 Packers!!!!
Reaction score
So can I entice you to change your forum name to Forget ***** ? :sneaky:

PackerFlatLander

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'll tell you one thing's for sure ... I get real tired of fans of other teams telling me how I'm supposed to feel about all this Favre business. Buzz off, I say. I saw my first game in person as a 10-year-old in 1982 and I've been to darn well over 120 games since then - most of which were in the 80's, when we were terrible. Just got my season tickets, too - after waiting 28 years for them. I was a Packer fan LONG before Burnt Barve came to town, and I'll be one for LONG after the clown left town on Ted Thompson's boot heel. We're all allowed to see it how we see it and it doesn't make any of us right or wrong, it just is what it is. But no Bears fan, or any other fan is gonna tell me about jack nothing

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
We all know less than 1% of what happened .

We? I can guarntee you I know a lot more than 1% of what happened..

One way to learn was to read everything that was put in the media..There were a few skip ups by Brett...Not just change of mind, but in one week flip flopped on same questions

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
My comments are in black, everything else are quotes from him

I always liked Ted and I don't want to say I dislike him now," he said. "I'm disappointed."
Ted and I, I thought, have always had a good relationship. We don't talk a whole lot. We don't go out and eat and shoot the bull. But on three different occasions -- I don't want to say "lied," I think that's kind of a harsh word, but I think "untruth" or whatever is better. When first he took over as the GM, I was wishy-washy on my decision, if that's what you went to call it.

Then this from the Greta interview

Exclusive: Brett Favre 'On the Record' - Greta Van Susteren | On The Record With Greta - FOXNews.com

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,384601,00.html
I said, You're right. You're absolutely right. And I said, But Mike -- and it was a good conversation, and we've always had good communication, the two of us. And I said, You're right. I totally agree. I was not 100 percent committed. And I said, But you guys wanted an answer in March, and I gave you the honest answer. And I said, you know, Had I been able to wait until training camp, that would have been great. He said, Well, why didn't you tell me that? We would have let you do it.

And I thought to myself, Well, you know, you told me before the draft, free agency. And he ended up drafting two kids in the draft. So that kind of tells you..
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Thompson flew to Favre's Mississippi home, and the quarterback thought the general manager was there to ask him to come back. Instead, Thompson told him that the team was going to do something special for him: dismantle his locker and send it to him.

"That was the craziest thing I ever heard of," Favre said. "What the hell am I going to do with a locker anyway? So, I said, 'OK, Ted, that's great.'"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
FAVRE: I mean, I've always been a Packer. I always will be a Packer. Do I play somewhere else? That remains to be seen. But I don't want to go back there just to stick it to them.

Brett Favre on retirement, Green Bay Packers, New York Jets, more - Peter King - SI.com

I have to admit now, was sticking it to Ted,'' he said in a rather startling admission.

I dont care how they supposedly treated him up until this point...

He should not call out Ted for telling "untruths" then not tell them his true feelings such as telling Ted great about the locker.

If you hate Ted doing that then dont do it your self..that is called hypocrisy

Brett Favre on retirement, Green Bay Packers, New York Jets, more - Peter King - SI.com
aas he told Ed Werder in his weekend ESPN interview,all he heard from the Packers after the 2007 season was "crickets,'' meaning he thinks they wanted him to walk away -- he was a convincing retiree.

Brett heard crickets? cuz he did say MM was calling him every week..

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,382744,00.html
Mike McCarthy called every week. Mike would call, Hey, how's things going, you know? Where are you at with your decision?

Favre still unsure if he'll play this year - JSOnline

Favre acknowledged that the money being offered by Packers president Mark Murphy was not in exchange for him not to report to training camp.

He said that has been incorrectly portrayed in some media reports

Favre says of situation: 'This probably isn't going to work' - NFL - ESPN
"Then," Favre said, "they tried to buy me off to stay retired."

Again is this a lie or untruth to sway public opinion? Wtf? One week to AL Jones it WASNT a bribe then the VERY next week he changes it to a bribe?

Those things are black and white to me..No fine line, no different ways to interrupt his words..

PFanCan

That's MISTER Cheesehead, to you.
Reaction score
If you go to PackerFlatLander's post at 8:13am this morning, that calculates to 15hrs 3 minutes from your post. That's quite Nostradamus of you Poppa San :D

LOL, I was about to calculate it myself when I decided to keep reading the remaining posts and found that you have already done the math. Hilarious!

Well done, Poppa San!

Bus Cook

You're never alone with a schizophrenic
Reaction score
Wilmette=>Fontana=>Lake Geneva=>Michigan ugh
My comments are in black, everything else are quotes from him

I always liked Ted and I don't want to say I dislike him now," he said. "I'm disappointed."
Ted and I, I thought, have always had a good relationship. We don't talk a whole lot. We don't go out and eat and shoot the bull. But on three different occasions -- I don't want to say "lied," I think that's kind of a harsh word, but I think "untruth" or whatever is better. When first he took over as the GM, I was wishy-washy on my decision, if that's what you went to call it.

Then this from the Greta interview

Exclusive: Brett Favre 'On the Record' - Greta Van Susteren | On The Record With Greta - FOXNews.com

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Thompson flew to Favre's Mississippi home, and the quarterback thought the general manager was there to ask him to come back. Instead, Thompson told him that the team was going to do something special for him: dismantle his locker and send it to him.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I dont care how they supposedly treated him up until this point...

He should not call out Ted for telling "untruths" then not tell them his true feelings such as telling Ted great about the locker.

If you hate Ted doing that then dont do it your self..that is called hypocrisy

Brett heard crickets? cuz he did say MM was calling him every week..

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,382744,00.html
Mike McCarthy called every week. Mike would call, Hey, how's things going, you know? Where are you at with your decision?

Favre says of situation: 'This probably isn't going to work' - NFL - ESPN
"Then," Favre said, "they tried to buy me off to stay retired."

Again is this a lie or untruth to sway public opinion? Wtf? One week to AL Jones it WASNT a bribe then the VERY next week he changes it to a bribe?

Those things are black and white to me..No fine line, no different ways to interrupt his words..
I'm not suggesting that there aren't damning comments made by all the parties, but I would still say that no one knows more than 1% of what really happened(hyperbole but reality). It was a divorce. There was his side, her side and the truth. It doesn't make the husband or wife bad people. It just ends a marriage. If I were to base my conclusions of how things really happened and why from the media, I would have to conclude that the government shutdown was a tea-party problem and that the civil war was fought over slavery.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm not suggesting that there aren't damning comments made by all the parties, but I would still say that no one knows more than 1% of what really happened(hyperbole but reality). It was a divorce. There was his side, her side and the truth. It doesn't make the husband or wife bad people. It just ends a marriage. If I were to base my conclusions of how things really happened and why from the media, I would have to conclude that the government shutdown was a tea-party problem and that the civil war was fought over slavery.

Both were to blame, but I know more than 1% of what happened

IluvGB

I <3 Packers!!!!
Reaction score
I think everyone knows more than 1% of what happened.... I would even venture to say....95% :)

PackerFlatLander

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is conjuring up other memories of that ill-fated, ridiculous TV interview with Greta Van Bugga-Boo Eyes ... he tells her that he "can't and doesn't trust Ted Thompson", all because he didn't sign Randy Moss, like Favre asked him to do, and all this and all that. Huh??? Excuse me, but who the hell are you? You are NOT the GM or personnel or talent acquisition director of this team. Having Randy Moss, would not have helped one iota vs. the Giants, considering that Al Harris got burned all day by Plaxico, etc.

I'm glad that Ted stood his ground the entire time and showed the ego king who is boss. The last I checked, Jordy Nelson and James Jones have Super Bowl rings while Randy Moss has none. Score? Ted - 1, Favre - 0.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
This is conjuring up other memories of that ill-fated, ridiculous TV interview with Greta Van Bugga-Boo Eyes ... he tells her that he "can't and doesn't trust Ted Thompson", all because he didn't sign Randy Moss, like Favre asked him to do, and all this and all that. Huh??? Excuse me, but who the hell are you? You are NOT the GM or personnel or talent acquisition director of this team. Having Randy Moss, would not have helped one iota vs. the Giants, considering that Al Harris got burned all day by Plaxico, etc.

I'm glad that Ted stood his ground the entire time and showed the ego king who is boss. The last I checked, Jordy Nelson and James Jones have Super Bowl rings while Randy Moss has none. Score? Ted - 1, Favre - 0.

He did have Moss in Minny ;)

PackerFlatLander

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He did have Moss in Minny ;)

Is that a fact? In that case, there's a need for a score revision ...

Ted - 2
Favre - 0

I'll tell ya ... when Favre threw that pick against the Saints, I was so happy, I ran out the back of the bar and ran around the place in a circle three times. Not because it screwed the Vikings - I cared less who he played for. I was happy because his ill-fated "stick it to Ted" (when, uh, Ted did nothing wrong to the dude) world tour ended in an epic fail, which, was hilarious. Then, one glorious year later, Ted, Mike, and Aaron are holding the Lombardi Trophy. F'ing hysterical. I couldn't make it up if I tried, LOL.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
LOL, I was about to calculate it myself when I decided to keep reading the remaining posts and found that you have already done the math. Hilarious!

Well done, Poppa San!
No trophies, plaques, or parades. Just piles of cash in small denominations.

I

I asked LT to delete my acct

No trophies, plaques, or parades. Just piles of cash in small denominations.
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

We had this one for the most annoying Lions fan on the site, but none came. You can have it anyway ;)

OP
OP
scotscheese

scotscheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Here's my take :)

Brett Favre had a very strong arm, probably the strongest in the league for many of the years he was the Packers starting QB. He is a living legend and will be a prominent figure in the NFL history books. His dad Irv Favre was Brett's coach in high school helping to carve out Brett's tough as nails embodiment so much to the point where Brett Favre's consecutive game starting streak will likely never be broken and will stand as one of the greatest sports achievements of our lifetime.

Few players in the history of sports elicited the type of sheer joy Brett Favre brought to his teammates and to football fans alike. Mike Holmgren the head coach of the Green Bay Packers upon Brett Favre's first arrival was a first rate QB teacher and helped harness Favre's unrefined tendencies and instilled a great knowledge of the West Coast Offense to the point where Brett Favre became a 3 time NFL Most Valuable Player and also helped lead the Packers to a Super Bowl victory in 1997.

When Mike Holmgren left Green Bay for greener pastures, Brett Favre slowly devolved from the great QB that once was to a more undisciplined gunslinger who now didn't have anyone to keep him in check.

By the time Mike Sherman arrived, Brett's ego was becoming greater than his play on the field at QB. When leaving the Packers and playing with the Jets Brett Favre even had his own personal locker room. Talk about ego.

With Sherman running the show Favre was at his most undisciplined ever and he was pretty much his own defacto coach. After Sherman was replaced with Mike McCarthy, in a couple years time the Packers and especially Favre had a resurgence on the stat sheet and in the victory column.

All of a sudden discipline and accountability were re-introduced to the team along with better talent as supplied by Ted Thompson. Instead of enjoying the teams successes, Favre chose to look over his shoulder and become paranoid at the developing Aaron Rodgers. At this point in his career Brett Favre had hemmed and hawed about possible retirement going back to the 04 season. The Packers wanted a commitment from Favre that he couldn't provide at the time and Favre officially announced his retirement.

Brett Favre changed his mind but the Packers had already committed to Aaron Rodgers as their QB of the future. Favre forced the Packers hand into trading him and eventually went on to a rival the Vikings (after a stop with the New York Jets most notable for his texting scandal) and had one of the best seasons of his career only to lose to the New Orleans Saints in the 'bounty gate' game.

Instead of Favre going to the Super Bowl in hopes of claiming an all important stick it to Ted Thompson moment and a blow to Packer fans everywhere by winning one with the Vikings, Favre went on to have a disastrous final season with the Vikings the next year.

As a life long Packer fan I can forgive many things but the following sentiment still really pi$$ me off to this day.
Rooting for the Bears to defeat the Packers

In my opinion enough credit cannot be given to Ted Thompson for wrestling control of this franchise back from the ego of Brett Favre. He sure took a tremendous amount of heat from Packer fans including many that praise him today. It wasn't until the Super Bowl victory that he was able to get that proverbial monkey off his back.

GO PACKERS Where the franchise will ALWAYS be greater than one person

thanks, very informative

robdog

Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I asked @robdog once if we could make Favre's name come up like its a bad word.. like this..
"What do you guys think of ***** now?" He just lol'd, but in my eyes, thats how I try to look at anything concering *****! :sneaky:

I thought about it, but never implemented that, lol. :) But, not completely ruled out.

I

I asked LT to delete my acct

You mean Cullen? Yeah - there's yet another epic fail attempt to drive a "stick it to Ted" world tour bus. Too bad the wheels fell off, no different than the Favre or Jennings situations. Quite comical, if you ask me.
No bud, that pun died right there....lol I was being sarcastic about Greg Jennings :oops:

12theTruth

How to find a bunch of random Packers fans in a crowd. Just mention the name Favre and start asking questions then grab some popcorn, sit back and watch the fun.

That or say loudly, "4th and 26". That should also do the trick.

Kitten

Feline Cheesehead
Reaction score
That or say loudly, "4th and 26". That should also do the trick.

Somebody on occasion tries to make the argument that Favre was a good passer. This is in fact true, he was good at completing passes but more often than not the players he completed the passes to were not wearing green and yellow.

12theTruth

Somebody on occasion tries to make the argument that Favre was a good passer. This is in fact true, he was good at completing passes but more often than not the players he completed the passes to were not wearing green and yellow.

Brett seemed to have poor timing with some of his picks. It seemed that many of his occurred at critical stages of the game whether it be tied or needing to take the lead. I know its never a good time for an interception but this perception sticks with me.

I also wish I didn't have thinner hair and thanks to Brett Favre I have considerable less than I would have otherwise :)

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Look, within 1 month of his "retirement" the Bus was shopping him around the league (Farmer, LA Times). The Mississippi Missile merely wanted his release from the Packers to join the Vikings--just has he requested from the Jets--but TT wouldn't play his game. The guy burned more bridges leaving the Packers than Sherman did in Georgia. Here's a question for the thinking: How many Championships would Lombardi have won with the QB wearing no. 4? Better yet: How many games would he have played for Lombardi? Starr was, and remains, the greatest QB of the Packers of all time. Our overseas fans should spend some time researching his career, not the interception king's.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts