Eliot Wolf

Rick 12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wolf has had a lot of offers in the last year to be GM for other teams they better not let him leave I would rather see Ted gone first not a big fan of his !

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Wolf has had a lot of offers in the last year to be GM for other teams they better not let him leave I would rather see Ted gone first not a big fan of his !
Just curious: Which teams attempted to hire Eliot Wolf as GM? What specifically has he done that makes you think he'd be a better GM than Thompson?

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If they haven't already, the team needs to make a decision on Wolf. Is he the guy to replace Thompson?
I don't believe TT is around much longer- he's what, 63?- and I've always had the impression that he'll wake up one day and say well, that's it, I'm done. Nothing long and drawn out.
If they don't think Wolf is the guy, then go after Schneider when the time comes.

Rick 12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just curious: Which teams attempted to hire Eliot Wolf as GM? What specifically has he done that makes you think he'd be a better GM than Thompson?
Eagles, Jets and Miami just this past offseason and there will be more this year Thompson is just ok but Wolf has a lot of up side Colts also showed interest but he turned them all down but this year could be a different story ! League people think he has a great eye for player talent more so then Thompson who no one is running to hire !

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Please, if Thompson was fired today he'd have people lined up tomorrow to hire him. He is highly respected around the league. Wolf will no doubt have the background to do well when it's his time, but up to this date, he's not had to put his name on one transaction the Packers have made. it's quite a jump from being "a guy" to "THE" guy. You may not like all of Ted's decisions, but don't act like we have some schmuck running the show

Un4GivN

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Eagles, Jets and Miami just this past offseason and there will be more this year Thompson is just ok but Wolf has a lot of up side Colts also showed interest but he turned them all down but this year could be a different story ! League people think he has a great eye for player talent more so then Thompson who no one is running to hire !

Please, if Thompson was fired today he'd have people lined up tomorrow to hire him. He is highly respected around the league. Wolf will no doubt have the background to do well when it's his time, but up to this date, he's not had to put his name on one transaction the Packers have made. it's quite a jump from being "a guy" to "THE" guy. You may not like all of Ted's decisions, but don't act like we have some schmuck running the show

Think both of these are partly true...

Ted would find work, without a doubt... There a lot of teams that need A LOT of help around the league. But just because he is good, does that necessarily mean someone else can't be better?

From my point of view its a huge risk to jump ship with TT, but if you're a betting man and it pays off it could be seen as one of the greatest move in the history of the team if he goes on to be amazing.

Real question is are you willing to give up the known for the unknown?

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well - fans and sportswriters want championships. Owners want consistently good teams and continuous fan bases which equal money. Of course they want Lombardi trophies too but most won't give up division championships for a 50/50 chance at getting better. They won't throw away known success for a chance at minuscule increase in money.

azrsx05

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would say let TT run out his contract and have Elliot be the one to replace him. Maybe add a little more responsibility to him to keep him happy and get him ready

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Schnieder for Pres of operations and Elliot for GM. Power team right there. TT needs to take his own advice and get rid of himself a year too early vs a year to late. He can stay and scout which is something he seems to love to do anyways. There just can't be anymore Nick Perry and Datone Jones drafts.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
TT needs to take his own advice and get rid of himself a year too early vs a year to late. He can stay and scout which is something he seems to love to do anyways.
Now that's funny! I know you didn't mean it to be but IMO turning Thompson's MO on him is humorous. It won't happen but it's not a bad plan...

Rick 12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Man are you out of touch No one and I Mean No one is lining up to hire Thompson !!

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Again, at his age, IMO this will be TT's last stop. Also, how many years left on his current deal?

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Again, at his age, IMO this will be TT's last stop. Also, how many years left on his current deal?
I believe he and MM are both signed through 2019 along with their QB.

EDITS: Okay 2018
The Packers announced Wednesday that Thompson, 61, had signed a multiyear contract extension that would stretch his current deal beyond its previous expiration date of after the 2015 season.

"I'm pleased that we were able to enter into this contract extension with Ted," President Mark Murphy said in a statement. "His outstanding work has been the key factor in the success that we've enjoyed in recent years. I have tremendous respect for Ted, and am confident that we will continue to contend for championships under his leadership."

Terms of the deal weren't released, but typically the Packers have worked in five-year increments with front office contracts, and so it's likely Thompson is extended all the way through the 2018 season.
http://www.jsonline.com/sports/pack...nsion-with-packers-b99321306z1-269278371.html
The Packers announced that McCarthy signed a new multiyear contract.

Although terms of the deal were not released, the Packers typically keep their coach and general manager signed for the same length of time. Thompson's deal is believed to run through the 2018 season.

McCarthy and Thompson were previously under contract through the 2015 season, deals that were signed when the Packers won Super Bowl XLV.
http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/1...ultiyear-contract-extension-green-bay-packers

Last edited:

Rick 12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just when you think trolling is gone a post like this comes along......
I am not trolling anyone or anything just show me any team who has shown interest in Thompson when any GM job was open grow up !

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am not trolling anyone or anything just show me any team who has shown interest in Thompson when any GM job was open grow up !

By this logic Schneider wouldn't be sought after either as he hasn't been linked to any teams with a GM vacancy.

Outside of the fact that teams don't pursue GMs that are under contract and not actively trying to get out due to a rift with ownership so if this is criteria for believing whether a GM would be sought after I'd simply point out that NOT A SINGLE GM in the league in a situation like TT has EVER been pursued by another team at least to the best of my knowledge.

If you weren't trolling your letting your personal bias cloud any objective opinion on the matter

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
If you're still here, it's pretty obvious you are the one that needs to grow up. As RRyder posted, the reason no team has shown interest in Thompson as GM is he is under contract to the Green Bay Packers as Executive V.P., General Manager & Director of Football Operations and he has been continuously under contract to the organization since he was hired by Bob Harlan. What that means is it was and is impossible for another team to approach him to be their GM. In addition to growing up, you may want to 'smarten up' a bit. Here's a suggestion for what you should do first when joining an online board: Identify the moderators. ;)

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts