Eliot Wolf

Rick 12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No let TT as GM but make Wolf Head of Scouting and Pro Personal with a raise let him know he is wanted by the Packers !

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Eliot Wolf already is head of scouting in his current role as Director of Player Personnel. He oversees ALL college scouting and pro player scouting operations. He can't go any higher in the ranks from a personnel stand point, except to assume some of TT's duties. TT is 62 and under contract through the 2019 draft, so unless he chooses to retire soon Wolf will probably end-up somewhere else as GM.

Keep in mind the great proteges of Ron Wolf/TT who seized their opportunity elsewhere (including TT in Seattle in 1999+): John Schneider (Seattle), Reggie McKenzie (Oakland) and John Dorsey (KC). I don't know much about him, but Scot McCloughan (Redskins GM) was with the Packers until he followed TT to Seattle in '99, and then was 49er's GM in e 2008-2010.

Unfortunately good talent rises to the top, and many times the openings aren't available in GB. :(

Sky King

Reaction score
Wolf should have one advantage: He's here and the others, despite their past ties with GB, are not. If I were on the selection committee that would be seen as a plus.

Also, these types of jobs have a shelf-life and burnout is real. That may vary from person to person but conventional wisdom implies that the guy with less wear and tear should last longer overall. Continuity has served this team well for the past 20 years and it should help to ensure continued success for the long-term.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Eliot Wolf already is head of scouting in his current role as Director of Player Personnel. He oversees ALL college scouting and pro player scouting operations. He can't go any higher in the ranks from a personnel stand point, except to assume some of TT's duties. TT is 62 and under contract through the 2019 draft, so unless he chooses to retire soon Wolf will probably end-up somewhere else as GM.

Keep in mind the great proteges of Ron Wolf/TT who seized their opportunity elsewhere (including TT in Seattle in 1999+): John Schneider (Seattle), Reggie McKenzie (Oakland) and John Dorsey (KC). I don't know much about him, but Scot McCloughan (Redskins GM) was with the Packers until he followed TT to Seattle in '99, and then was 49er's GM in e 2008-2010.

Unfortunately good talent rises to the top, and many times the openings aren't available in GB. :(

TT isn't wanted by anyone but everyone who has ever worked under him is lol

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No one is saying get rid of TT we should not let a talented young football guy like Wolf walk away by the way have a Nice Christmas hope that does not offend you .:unsure:
I'm Jewish you @#$#! !@@$$$# %^#@@!*&* and I hope you ##@$$ your #$%$$%^& with a @!#@$$.

Just kidding. Have a Merry Christmas and may God bless you richly!

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Side note, the ted Thompson method is what turned around Oakland
Well, taking over for Al 'never mind the tape, just use the 40 times to set the draft board' Davis is like being a foster parent to Jared from the subway's kids. You don't have to do much to be better. But yeah, Reggie seems to be getting things going in the right direction there.

Don't forget Seattle. Twice. TT got em to the SB during the Holmgren years and now again with TT's protege,

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I seem to remember either here or in an article somewhere that the Seahawks first SB occurred the year after Thompson left to come here, and was credited in large part to some key FA signings that put them over the top.
Schneider has very little in common with TT in how he builds a roster in that he's far more aggresive when it comes to using FA and trades.
I also question a lot of the latter day credit given to TT for Seattle's SB run in '05. There was a guy named Holmgren who came there because they would give him total control. So he stepped back towards the end so he could give up all control- and credit- to TT? With that ego?
I think Thompson has enough of his own accomplishments to be considered one of the g
mes best without assigning him credit for others work.

Bagadeez04

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lets be honest here... The fact the Packers have held onto him and other teams want him (not necessarily for GM yet but want him) indicates he's got some talent. But weather or not he would be a good gm or not is a total guess. No one knows until he gets his shot.

Russell Breunig

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Eagles, Jets and Miami just this past offseason and there will be more this year Thompson is just ok but Wolf has a lot of up side Colts also showed interest but he turned them all down but this year could be a different story ! League people think he has a great eye for player talent more so then Thompson who no one is running to hire !

Thx, seems more progressive than most on planning...

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Thx, seems more progressive than most on planning...
Maybe you didn't have a chance to read this entire thread but no one could 'run to hire' Thompson because he's under contract to the Packers. Also, I'd appreciate a quote from either you or Rick12 showing "League people think he has a great eye for player talent more so then Thompson..."

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Believe me if TT was gone this team might even get better players in the Draft if anyone thinks the Packers would go down hill if TT was gone they are sadly mistaken !!!
Funny you write, "if TT was gone this team MIGHT even get better players in the Draft" and they say without reservation the Packers wouldn't go down hill if Thompson left. You have nothing to base your assumption on and don't even seem to agree with yourself. :D

Sky King

Reaction score
After enduring the chronic mediocrity of the post-Glory Years, especially the lack of playoff appearances, I envied the Dolphins of the early 1990's because they had put together a long run of winning seasons in their heyday. It was my wish that the Packers would someday enjoy the same kind of success. They have. And while it would be nice to win SBs as frequently as Lombardi's teams had, this Packer organization has had a very nice run at being legitimate contenders. Barring the unforeseen, it may go on for at least several more years -- maybe even longer if the young Mr. Wolf is destined to be the heir apparent to TT and he lucks out finding #12's replacement. Can lightening strike a third time?

Super Bowls: You can't win 'em if you don't get in 'em.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
After enduring the chronic mediocrity of the post-Glory Years, especially the lack of playoff appearances, I envied the Dolphins of the early 1990's because they had put together a long run of winning seasons in their heyday. It was my wish that the Packers would someday enjoy the same kind of success. They have. And while it would be nice to win SBs as frequently as Lombardi's teams had, this Packer organization has had a very nice run at being legitimate contenders. Barring the unforeseen, it may go on for at least several more years -- maybe even longer if the young Mr. Wolf is destined to be the heir apparent to TT and he lucks out finding #12's replacement. Can lightening strike a third time?

Super Bowls: You can't win 'em if you don't get in 'em.

Careful with that. I'm assuming you are meaning it as a plus in favor of Ted but a lot of fans here will point out that with him at the helm we haven't been getting in 'em. You may want to amend that to Super Bowls: You can't win 'em if you don't have a chance to get in 'em.

Sky King

Reaction score
Careful with that. I'm assuming you are meaning it as a plus in favor of Ted but a lot of fans here will point out that with him at the helm we haven't been getting in 'em. You may want to amend that to Super Bowls: You can't win 'em if you don't have a chance to get in 'em.
You're right, of course. Most posters dissect everything Packers. Others thrive on dissecting other posters. I'll just have to take my chances. ;)

RepStar15

"We're going to relentlessly chase perfection."
Reaction score
Well, I have to admit I was on the Eliot Wolfe bandwagon during the GM competition. Now, looking at what he and John Dorsey did during the draft, I am extremely thankful he did not get the position. I like the moves they made in free agency, but just to recap (in case anyone missed it) this is what they did during the draft:

1. With the #1 pick in the 2018 NFL draft the Cleveland Browns selected a 6 foot QB. The argument is that he was the most accurate passed in college football. His passes were completed to WIDE OPEN receivers/RB’s/TE’s. He hit open men. I think we see one good year out of this kid, until the hits start to accumulate and he realizes scrambling outside the pocket and being hit by Cameron Heyward is a lot different than taking a hit from Taylor Young. He’s the next RG3. Nice pick guys?

2. Passed up Bradley Chubb to take Denzel Ward. For an organization that is trying to win, they surely do not seem like they are taking the best available player. Now, say I am wrong. Bradley Chubb is a bust and Denzel Ward is the shut down corner they were looking for. Quarterbacks just avoid shut down corners. Pass rushers make the QB make a decision. Pass rushers are disruptive. But in this instance Chubb is a bust, so you want to draft a positional need at #4. TRADE BACK! Are you kidding? You know the Bills were calling!

Now, I do like what they did in the second round with Austin Corbett and Nick Chubb, but cannot get over the poor decision making for the first round. Now, I could be completely wrong about Baker Mayfield - that is just purely my opinion that it is a bad pick. Denzel Ward at #4 is undisputedly a poor pick. For that reason:

Gute on draft day > Elliot Wolfe and John Dorsey

Jerellh528

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Too early to say they were bad draft decisions from the Browns FO. Although I’m very pleased with what Gute has done thus far and glad to have him.

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think they maximized the value of their picks. Baker and Ward probably could have been gotten with the 4th and 7th picks and not the 1st and 4th. They should have moved that first pick. They also took another player with terrible character later in the draft.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think they maximized the value of their picks. Baker and Ward probably could have been gotten with the 4th and 7th picks and not the 1st and 4th. They should have moved that first pick. They also took another player with terrible character later in the draft.

That player is a first round talent they got in the 5th

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't care what kind of talent you have with that kind of track record. ****** assault, buying stuff with stolen credit cards, drug arrest and just to prove that he has turned things around he failed his test at the combine.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
All you need to know about Gute vrs Wolf is that Mark Murphy stated that he looked at all the player evaluation from the last few years and it was very revealing. Gute was the obvious choice.

Time will tell how that draft went in Cleveland, but I thought they did poorly. I like their players they picked, I just think they could have done better. They should have taken Chubb at 4 and then taken Josh Jackson in the 2nd. Pairing Chubb with Garret would make each one that much better. The drop off from Ward to Jackson isn't as great as the drop off from Chubb to whoever they can get. It would have made their whole defense special. Denver could be scary pairing him with von Miller.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I don't care what kind of talent you have with that kind of track record. ****** assault, buying stuff with stolen credit cards, drug arrest and just to prove that he has turned things around he failed his test at the combine.

It’s all good though, because he will have Josh Gordon there to turn him around and Damarious Randall can show him how to approach the game in a mature way. Lol.

Members online

Latest posts